6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How about a Supercharged 6th Gen?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 PM

If my car looked as perrrty as his and was capable of putting down the numbers he is talking about putting down, I wouldnt regret anything lol..
Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I'm not sure, but if I had to brag my car is capable of beating on the 1/4 mile track a WRX STI, EVO, Dodge Charger SRT8, Pontiac G8, Cadillac CTS-V, Mustang GT (all stock 13/14 runners) which by itself says a lot and pisses many V8 owners off at the track since this kit WILL put you square in the middle of the 12's...
Isn't the CTS-V a low 12/high 11 second car?...
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Isn't the CTS-V a low 12/high 11 second car?...
My friend has a CTS-V and has never been in the 12's during his runs at Maryland International Raceway. Most CTS-V's I've seen at MIR run low 13's, only CTS-V I saw hit low 12's (12.085) was running a 75 shot NOS setup...

Last edited by chernmax; 03-19-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
do u regret not waiting or knowing bout this chern? i know u invested a lot of time and $ for customizing the altima setup to fit the max
Sorry, don't understand the question, not waiting or knowing what???
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM

my bad. i was askin if u regret not waiting or knowing about speed force racing coming out with a turbo set up for the 6th gen max. since i figure u went through a lot to hav the altima turbo set up work for the max

hope it makes it clear....
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
my bad. i was askin if u regret not waiting or knowing about speed force racing coming out with a turbo set up for the 6th gen max. since i figure u went through a lot to hav the altima turbo set up work for the max

hope it makes it clear....
LOL, cough, cough, My Turbo setup IS the one from Speed Force Racing, I was the first 6th Gen Max to take the plunge and say the Alti kit will fit the Max, took the risk and succeeded!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM

LOL, cough, cough, My Turbo setup IS the one from Speed Force Racing, I was the first 6th Gen Max to take the plunge and say the Alti kit will fit the Max, took the risk and succeeded!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM

opps i didn't know that part......bad moment

Last edited by bdmaxima; 03-19-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM

I'd gladly pay for a supercharger kit.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM

My friend has a CTS-V and has never been in the 12's during his runs at Maryland International Raceway. Most CTS-V's I've seen at MIR run low 13's, only CTS-V I saw hit low 12's (12.085) was running a 75 shot NOS setup...
hmmmm interesting, so I guess it takes the "pro" driver to hit what the company claims?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

How many horses does one gain by installing a SC and what would happen with my extended warranty?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by larsim
How many horses does one gain by installing a SC and what would happen with my extended warranty?
Enough to shoot you back and make you think that you need new belts cause' they will be squeakin'

warranty...if a bulb goes out, they will say that the intense power from jolting the car back resulted in a short...=no warranty
Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Late to the gangbang but...

1. That kit looks like ***

2. S/C's do not work your engine more than a turbo (someone said it on the previous page)

3. The Altima coupe kit will most likely require more than a few "tweaks" to adapt it to our cars given the different pulley layouts...

Back OT though.... that kit looks like ***, I don't see how any of you could possibly want it.

EDIT: Just read Matty's comments on the previous page--I knew that kit looked funky to me. I'm no FI expert but that SC kit is no bueno...

Last edited by joebangaa; 03-23-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
Late to the gangbang but...

1. That kit looks like ***

2. S/C's do not work your engine more than a turbo (someone said it on the previous page)

3. The Altima coupe kit will most likely require more than a few "tweaks" to adapt it to our cars given the different pulley layouts...

Back OT though.... that kit looks like ***, I don't see how any of you could possibly want it.

EDIT: Just read Matty's comments on the previous page--I knew that kit looked funky to me. I'm no FI expert but that SC kit is no bueno...
Would a turbonator and some Pulsar plugs help it out though?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 AM

S/C's do not work your engine more than a turbo (someone said it on the previous page)
I said it and I stand by my comment as well as some of the leading automotive experts, Turbos use exhaust gases to spool the turbine where as an S/C uses an additional pulley, added belts turning a shaft which are connected to the crank pulley which puts more load on the crank thus works your overall engine harder...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM

S/Cs do create a parasitic loss that turbos do not, but this does not mean it's harder on your engine. The amount of TQ that a turbo setup creates will cause more wear and shorten the lifespan of a given engine much moreso than the additional forces a S/C places on the same engine at the same boost pressure. Of course...it's all in the tune...but most FI experts will tell you it's the TQ that is "harder" on the engine. You might wear out some bearings with the S/C but I don't consider that "working your overall engine harder"...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Chern - it's the heat, not the gases themself that spools the turbo...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Chern - it's the heat, not the gases themself that spools the turbo...
LOL, try breathing it and tell me what it smells like!!!

A turbocharger is defined as:
"a centrifugal blower driven by exhaust gas turbines and used to supercharge an engine".

Last edited by chernmax; 03-24-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 AM

S/Cs do create a parasitic loss that turbos do not, but this does not mean it's harder on your engine. The amount of TQ that a turbo setup creates will cause more wear and shorten the lifespan of a given engine much moreso than the additional forces a S/C places on the same engine at the same boost pressure. Of course...it's all in the tune...but most FI experts will tell you it's the TQ that is "harder" on the engine. You might wear out some bearings with the S/C but I don't consider that "working your overall engine harder"...
Based on your own comments, how can you NOT state the engine is being worked harder, not overwhelming hard verse a Turbo, but harder??? And the TQ will have more affect on your Tranny than engine because since power is instantaneous with an SC their is extra shock loadings on a transmission because of the sudden increase in power...

Last edited by chernmax; 03-24-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Wat

Airflow spins the turbo but w/o HEAT there will be NO BOOST. WASTE HEAT is required for the expansion of gases.

On turbo setups, the amount of TQ you produce, especially since the engine is turning slowly (in comparison to a S/C running the same amount of boost) is HARDER on an engine. I don't see how a S/C, which doesn't create full boost until redline, could possibly be HARDER on the engine. THIS IS WHY a turbo will almost always put out more power...more specifically TQ.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Wat

Airflow spins the turbo but w/o HEAT there will be NO BOOST. WASTE HEAT is required for the expansion of gases.

On turbo setups, the amount of TQ you produce, especially since the engine is turning slowly (in comparison to a S/C running the same amount of boost) is HARDER on an engine. I don't see how a S/C, which doesn't create full boost until redline, could possibly be HARDER on the engine. THIS IS WHY a turbo will almost always put out more power...more specifically TQ.
Heat is a product of rapidly expanding gases from combustion and high flow air friction so in hindsight all exhaust gases are HOT!!! (I've worked with ordnance & explosives for over 24 years in the military, you cannot change my mind on this one!!!) Not the other way around as you keep incorrectly stating...

And no an SC creates Max boost at red-line but has almost instantaneous boost from the start where as a Turbo sees no boost from the start until about 2K rpm (hence the term Turbo Lag)... So when an SC floors it from the start, the car will be quicker off the line but produce a shock effect on the tranny and everything else attached to the crank shaft for which it draws it's boost. When a turbo moves off the line the engine and tranny are in motion as the Turbo spools up with no extra load on the crank then at about 2K when boost kicks in the Turbo surges forward with a broader power band and depending on the distance, will normally overtake an SC in a straight shot.

Anyway, no one is saying a Turbo is better than an SC, I posted considerations to think about before one takes the plunge on installing an SC verse Turbo in a Max...

Last edited by chernmax; 03-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM

Well I'm not gonna go into this anymore because I can see that there's no point in explaining facts to the 6G forum. The consensus w/ our RWD VQ35DE brethren is that S/C kits are easier on the motor. Seeing as there's thousands of boosted Z/G's in the country, I think you should go tell them they're all wrong.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM

I've seen just as many blown engines from turbo's as I've seen from superchargers.

Joshua
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM

And that's all in the tune. It has nothing to do with the inherent characteristics of a turbo or S/C...
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I'm not gonna go into this anymore because I can see that there's no point in explaining facts to the 6G forum. The consensus w/ our RWD VQ35DE brethren is that S/C kits are easier on the motor. Seeing as there's thousands of boosted Z/G's in the country, I think you should go tell them they're all wrong.
More power with the same displacement will shorten the lifespan of any motor. In small motors like ours (compared to v8s) , it's much easier to make big power with a turbocharger than a supercharger. If you want a turbocharger to be as weak as a supercharger, you can always use a progressive boost controller.

You're oversimplifying things by saying one is easier on the motor. There's many more factors involved then just the basic design.

With this high compression motor, a moderately sized turbo could be spooled very quickly, minimizing the benefits of a supercharger. Also, seeing as the target psi would be low due to high compression, a supercharger could make similar psi and flow numbers, minimizing the benefits of a turbocharger.

Superchargers have pulley bearings that go out. As more pressure is made, there is more torque applied to the pulley.
Turbochargers are subjected to much greater heat differentials, hurting seals and bearings.

If your power goals are minimal, i.e. 25% above stock, then a supercharger is cheaper, easier to install, and longer lasting (the supercharger unit). If you going big, then the supercharger's short-comings force you to go turbo.

edit: I'm personally aware of this relationship. My running 92 stealth rt/tt with 112k on it still runs like new because I haven't upped the boost and flow. My 96 stealth rt/tt with 90k has a spun crank bearing, likely a result of upping the power output by 40%.

Last edited by redshift; 03-24-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes and I'm the voice of a Boosted Max too, so you have your answers from me too from the other thousands who disagree with some of your statements...
Old 03-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I've seen just as many blown engines from turbo's as I've seen from superchargers.

Joshua
That I agree with!!! Most as a result of shortcuts, bad tuning, and poor maintenance...
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Without internal combustion we wouldn't have an engine that produces hot gases that flow thru the turbo creating the suction desired to create more horse power. Its the amount of air and its velocity flowing thru the turbo that creates the magical powers of the turbo BOOST, not the temperature of the gases. The gases are hot b/c of the recent internal explosion, heat is just a by-product, it is the airflow that turbo manufacturors are trying to optimize. Turbos would love to have cold air flowing thru them, then they wouldn't require the amount of maintainance they need or else they burn up very fast!!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think he's referring to heat in the thermodynamic sense. In which case, kilojoules of energy are transfered from the gas into the rotational kinetic energy of the turbine blade to do work.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Where is my shirt?

Ok so who would buy the kit if it actually existed?

Am I the only person?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 PM

**** I would had that kit been available before I went Turbo, looks great and do-able...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM

That kit isnt for the A33 Cefiro, they range from 2 and 2.5L to 3L - not 3.5. It's for a J31 Teana. Same engine as your 6th gens.

Our Maximas are essentially the same as the Teana. Perfect kit for us I guess.

Price is cheap if you convert the Taiwanese Yuan - $2000 approx for the kit! :P

Last edited by jordandalley; 03-25-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Hell I would go S/C if they made one. I wanna go FI but don't wanna break the bank.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Without internal combustion we wouldn't have an engine that produces hot gases that flow thru the turbo creating the suction desired to create more horse power. Its the amount of air and its velocity flowing thru the turbo that creates the magical powers of the turbo BOOST, not the temperature of the gases. The gases are hot b/c of the recent internal explosion, heat is just a by-product, it is the airflow that turbo manufacturors are trying to optimize. Turbos would love to have cold air flowing thru them, then they wouldn't require the amount of maintainance they need or else they burn up very fast!!
Try it and see what happens. You'll be eating those words.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 AM

I just had to post in this thread.. Hot damn i love the 6th gen post. Anyway both Superchargers and turbos have their respective advantages and disadvantages that have been improperly misplaced throughout the entire thread but the fact of the matter its more of a personal preference and the power factor that each individual person is after.
I am just entering the FI section with my SC max and i dont have a lot of expereince with FI and the reason I went with SC was because it is more of a bolt-on kit and seems to be less plumbing involved and eisier to maintain) but I am sure it will be one hell of a trip to break the 400whp range. (I cant keep up because the SFR turbo kit for the 3.5L makes about 374fwhp at 8psi.)

On the other hand, looking at Hals numbers, he made 476fwhp with 500fwtq on a 3.0L max (running NOS) on a turbocharged max and I have never seen those types of numbers on a 3.0L SC max.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM

Grimmax<---I doubt he regrets it... The bragging rights alone kindve make up for it. I mean look how many people know of cherns car now? An we'd all recognize it instantly if we saw it on the street.

Last edited by RacerX1320; 03-26-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
Grimmax<---I doubt he regrets it... The bragging rights alone kindve make up for it. I mean look how many people know of cherns car now? An we'd all recognize it instantly if we saw it on the street.
lol HUH!?

What are you referring to?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Where is my shirt?

Chern... if you dont mind me asking..... how much did you spend with all the tweaks and stuff along with the turbo kit you have?

I mean.... if an SC kit is less pricey for 20whp compared to a turbo (or something like that).... is it worth losing the gains to save some dinero?

Any takers on this?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
Chern... if you dont mind me asking..... how much did you spend with all the tweaks and stuff along with the turbo kit you have?

I mean.... if an SC kit is less pricey for 20whp compared to a turbo (or something like that).... is it worth losing the gains to save some dinero?

Any takers on this?
Speed Force Racing Stage II Turbo Kit, install, proper tuning, bank on 7.5K

BUT, if done correctly, count on 370-390whp or a 450-470+hp max guaranteed. Mine is over 410+hp right now and I'm not done with tuning so I'm not guessing, I know!!!

Here's the Stage II Dyno numbers on a completed car, mine's not done, I'm only tuned to 6PSI of boost, once my Tranny is finished, tuning up to 8-9PSI

Hats off if that SC kit can come close to those numbers...

Last edited by chernmax; 03-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax

Any takers on this?
We shouldn't be having this discussion. Everyone needs to go home and eat some pretzels.

Superchargers are cheaper than turbos. Turbos take a lot more work to install. Turbos take a lot more work to maintain. They usually require a turbo timer. They are prone to damage. Superchargers are also prone to damage. Superchargers can hurt your alternator. Superchargers can throw belts or blow belts. Turbos put down more horsepower than superchargers. You can alternate your boost with a turbo. Superchargers can't usually be turned off (some can with a clutch). You can upgrade turbo's to different stages, superchargers you can't.

Yada yada yada.

Joshua

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about a Supercharged 6th Gen?