6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear wheel ABS sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Rear wheel ABS sensor removal

Does anyone know how to remove rear wheels ABS sensors? Do I need special tools or special care to remove? I appreciate for any help or procedure explanation.

Thanks

Last edited by saraara; 06-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM

I just got this done last month at the dealership, i know the dude and he charged me 1 hour of labor
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

There is a thirteen millimeter bolt holding it to the back of the hub. After the bolt is out the sensor should pull right out. Dont forget to unplug the harness about 12inches away. It is a hall effect switch, so it may just need cleaning.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
There is a thirteen millimeter bolt holding it to the back of the hub. After the bolt is out the sensor should pull right out. Dont forget to unplug the harness about 12inches away. It is a hall effect switch, so it may just need cleaning.
Thanks majesticmaxima,
I am replacing both rear hub assembly so I was not sure how to remove ABS sensors. Does those sensors come out easy or need to spary wd-40 or anything else to pull out? Those sensors are expensive and I just don't want to break them. During replacement of hub assembly, does hub assembly goes first then sensor or sensor goes first then hub assembly?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM

One of my sensors came out easy, the other needed persuasion. WD-40 sounds ok, i'd use a penetrating oil of some kind if possible. Just make sure to clean it off during re-installation. As far as replacement procedure, i'd install the sensors first to the the hub then install the hub to the car. Its a little easier that way, but you can do it either of the ways you mentioned.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:48 AM

FYI the tsb for abs sensor issues can be found here http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...p=10&keyid=184 you will need to register to view/download it. Very easy to do and mainly the rear passengers side that causes the issue. Unless you have other issues with the hub a thorough cleaning of it should fix problem... dl the tsb and check the other thread (a few threads down) for more info. I fixed my issue in @ 2 hours for free, with just a ratchet set, jack/jackstand, wire brush and cleaner.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by carlosr
FYI the tsb for abs sensor issues can be found here http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...p=10&keyid=184 you will need to register to view/download it. Very easy to do and mainly the rear passengers side that causes the issue. Unless you have other issues with the hub a thorough cleaning of it should fix problem... dl the tsb and check the other thread (a few threads down) for more info. I fixed my issue in @ 2 hours for free, with just a ratchet set, jack/jackstand, wire brush and cleaner.
I have that TSB but may be it was not so clear for me to understand. I have bad hub/bearing assembly and I want to replace myself. I am confortable doing this job except ABS sensor removal that I never done it before. Also to remove ABS sensor then hub assembly or otherway around was my next question. It would be great if someone already done this so I can get some help with this job. Thanks for your reply Carlosr.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 AM

Your comfortable removing a hub, but not one small bolt and a sensor?

Lift the car up, place on jack stand, remove wheel on back side of hub (more or less where the lugs would be but on back side) follow the wire to abs sensor its 1 bolt thats on there. Remove bolt and pull the sensor out, easy as pie.

To do the hub replacement, remove brake caliper (2 bolts and pads) and bracket (2 bolts) that holds caliper (you may have to use stand and jack to manipulate suspension to get unobstructed access at bolts) remove rotor (may have to use rubber hammer or block of wood and hammer) then you have access to hub remove the few bolts (think 5) that are there and it comes out as one unit. This is all off top of my head but use this with print out of TSB and it is as straight fwd as can be. It took me @ 2 hours, getting the bolts/rotor off was prob hardest part because I had to lower the suspension on that corner to get good/straight access to the bolt so it wouldn't slip (this will make sense to you when your doing job). I used a pipe around my ratchet for added torque if you have a breaker bar that fits in the tight space that'll work too or best air tools (didn't feel like charging up the compressor). Why do I feel like I am going to have to write a sticky for this soon or start doing this on the side in my driveway.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by kenjio6
I just got this done last month at the dealership, i know the dude and he charged me 1 hour of labor
wonder who did that....
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Sorry I am new and not that expert in all kind of repair works. Well took me about 3 hours to replace both hub assembly. ABS sensor came-out easily then what I thought. I had to use rubber hammer to pull hub assembly out. Overall DYI job and I can't believe dealer wants $375 just for the labor. Thanks to everyone.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by saraara
Sorry I am new and not that expert in all kind of repair works. Well took me about 3 hours to replace both hub assembly. ABS sensor came-out easily then what I thought. I had to use rubber hammer to pull hub assembly out. Overall DYI job and I can't believe dealer wants $375 just for the labor. Thanks to everyone.
3 hours for first time without air-tools or lift isn't bad at all, told you it wasn't that hard.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by carlosr
3 hours for first time without air-tools or lift isn't bad at all, told you it wasn't that hard.
To my surprise, all bolts were clean but not like rusted what I was expected except for the sensor bolts. One side took me about little over 1 & 1/2 hour but the other side took me little less time. Both hub plastic caps were also in good shape as my dealer wants $37 each when I called earlier incase if I need them.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM

nice going, sounds like you made out better than i did.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 AM

Good work. i wish i would have replaced my abs sensor myself. The dealer got me big time, they told me i needed to replace my hubs?????? and that's not covered under the warranty