6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Engine help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:25 AM

Engine help....

I have over 89K on my 04 Max and lately I have been experiencing weird idling fluxuations. A couple of times I was sitting at a traffic light and I watch the rpms drop and rise then I noticed the oil light idicator flash on and off. The car seemed as if it was going to stall but it didn't. I immediately pulled off the road and checked my oil, everything was fine, plenty of oil and no leaks. I only run synthetic oil since I've owned the car, is there a serious problem on the horizon? I am also hearing a dieseling sound at low rpms (valve chatter), when I punch it it goes away, is it low grade gas? I thought maybe I need to change the spark plugs, maybe I am misfiring but I would throw a cell if that was the case. I checked the ECM for codes but I didn't get anything. Diagnosis?...

Mike
Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM

sounds like you need a timing chain set my friend. Just did one on a 6thgenmax.org members car which was doing the same thing at about the same mileage.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by WINTERFAUST
sounds like you need a timing chain set my friend. Just did one on a 6thgenmax.org members car which was doing the same thing at about the same mileage.
How much will the timing chain repalcement cost me?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by WINTERFAUST
How much will the timing chain replacement cost me?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 AM

the reason your oil light came on was because the rpm dropped so low it wasnt making enough oil pressure. the idle issue could be alot of things, spark plugs, timing, fuel, bad coil. i can go on but i would just take it to a trusted tech and have them diagnose it. dont just start throwing parts at it if your dont know for sure what the issue is
Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So when you do a timing chain? (belt?) What are some other good things to maintenance while you are in there.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
the reason your oil light came on was because the rpm dropped so low it wasnt making enough oil pressure. the idle issue could be alot of things, spark plugs, timing, fuel, bad coil. i can go on but i would just take it to a trusted tech and have them diagnose it. dont just start throwing parts at it if your dont know for sure what the issue is
I will take it to the stealership tomorrow and have them look it over.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
So when you do a timing chain? (belt?) What are some other good things to maintenance while you are in there.
VQ's only have timing chains
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Does this sound logical? I have been running 87 octane fuel in my car for about two months since the gas prices are sky high. Well yesterday I filled up with 92 octane and the dieseling sounds went away and the fluxuations at idle have gone also. I know this car is design to operate on regular 87 octane gas but would it make that much of a difference using the lower octane fuel. Since I've owned the car I have used 91 or better fuel but lately I switch to save some money, the car drove fine, the mileage was still around 23-25 combined city/highway.

Anyone else experienced this problem besides me....

Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Does this sound logical? I have been running 87 octane fuel in my car for about two months since the gas prices are sky high. Well yesterday I filled up with 92 octane and the dieseling sounds went away and the fluxuations at idle have gone also. I know this car is design to operate on regular 87 octane gas but would it make that much of a difference using the lower octane fuel. Since I've owned the car I have used 91 or better fuel but lately I switch to save some money, the car drove fine, the mileage was still around 23-25 combined city/highway.

Mike
The car is designed for optimum performance use optimum gas. Says so on the gas door.

How much money are you saving at the pump? 20cents x 10 gallons = $2. Is that worth other possible problems?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:10 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Big Mike

Mike
Big Mike put a couple of tank fulls of high test gas in the car and see whats happens before changing parts.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

not to alarm you or anything..........but i had the same exact idling issue and dip in rpm, then one week later my timing guides broke.loud crazy ticking noise like a tracktor and I was so sol, then had to get a whole timing job done. 12 hours labor plus parts. get it checked out my friend. oh and once u in there its good to change the chains as well, they stretch after a while.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by trini_maxima
not to alarm you or anything..........but i had the same exact idling issue and dip in rpm, then one week later my timing guides broke.loud crazy ticking noise like a tracktor and I was so sol, then had to get a whole timing job done. 12 hours labor plus parts. get it checked out my friend. oh and once u in there its good to change the chains as well, they stretch after a while.
Thanks for the information!! You would think that having a timing chain would be better huh....How much did you have to pay for the timing chain replacement?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

How's your oil level? Sometimes the chatter is attributed to low oil level.

There is a TSB on the subject.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
How's your oil level? Sometimes the chatter is attributed to low oil level.

There is a TSB on the subject.
Oil level is fine, I even used royal purple during my last oil change. I actually picked up a couple of extra MPG with the royal purple!!!

Mike
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM

??royal purple increased you gas mileage??
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Really? From 2 years ago, you bumped this to ask that?