6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rotors Moaning Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Rotors Moaning Bad

Like a lot of you I installed the rotorpros drilled/slotted rotors over 2 months ago with Hawk pads but after more then 4K miles my rotors are still making a loud moaning noice when I hit them hard. It even sends vibration up through the steering wheel its so bad. I have asked Rotorpros about it and they said that I should have installed my rotors with the slots like this /. I installed them the other way like this \. I read many threads saying that it did not matter which direction to go before I installed and only installed them the way I did based on a thread saying it cooled better. I will try and reverse the direction of my rotors but I don't know if that will help and the fact that I probably have a wear pattern on my brakes by now doesn't help. I don't know what to do except possibly going back to OEM. Anybody having the same problem any ideas?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM

I have about 4000 miles on my new brake setup and any loud noise is gone, but under heavy braking I do have a slight moan, my brother described it as a turbine effect, mine are pointed \

As for any vibration in the wheel, you might want to get your tires balanced, and changing the direction of the rotors, from what I read and asked of people with cross drilled/slotted rotors they are not quiet like blanks, the noise is created by the air between the pads
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM

regarding the subject, i also bought these but havent had a chance to isntall them. i plan on it when summer school is done. what is the correct way? slots / or like \ ? what is the correct way, not the cool way? lol
Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
+Cru OG

You guys are better off with the Brembo blanks + Hawk HPS.

Did you do a proper brake bedding?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
Did you do a proper brake bedding?
Yes I did and I was really easy on them for the first 500 miles. The majority of the pictures and threads I have read have them going like this /. But there are threads that have them going the other way like mine and have no problems. I will turn the front rotors around this weekend and see what happens.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM

If anyone is going to get the Brembo blanks make sure and paint them or get them zinc coated. I had a set on my max and they rusted after the first rainstorm. But now im on drilled rotorpros all around with no probs.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Hawk pads have known to be loud. I dont think its your rotors, I suspect your pads. I have the rotorpros and EBC. After about 4k miles it makes a hum only on intense highway or street braking. You will have to understand that you will not get the OEM smoothness with the performance pads and the drilled/slotted rotors. If you want soft/smooth braking get blanks and some regular non-ceramic pads. There is always a trade off.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by rick sambora
After about 4k miles it makes a hum only on intense highway or street braking.
2nd in line to hearing the Fujita scream at WOT, I love the way the brakes hum, I find myself accelerating in certain areas to hear the brakes
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 AM

the way the slot is pointing will only help with braking vibration. my suggestion is do what the manufacturer says and put them on right. doing that you might find other problems which could solve the humming. new pads will usually hum with new rotors if they weren't turned prior to using. I think you should take them off and take them to a shop that turns rotors and have them turned. Put them back on and they should work and sound better. if they are still too loud just get rid of the rotors for only slotted not drilled and you will notice a huge difference in sound.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 AM

I tend to watch the high performance shows on TV and I noticed the other day they had slotted and drilled rotors already mounted on this frame with no body or tires to block the view and what I noticed is all of their slots were facing / toward the front.

Plus I believe it was Deus or Chern that posted a link to a website that pretty much explained this as being the correct way to mount your rotors. I just bought the drilled and dimpled rotors and tyhe EBC Red pads so i am hoping that I don't have a lot of braking noise but then again it can't be any worse than my brakes now that are squeeling.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
You guys are better off with the Brembo blanks + Hawk HPS.
+1 on that. I had the rotorpro / EBC red setup and regardless of what others have said, they were noisy from the time I put them on until I ripped them off 3 weeks later. If anyone is interested I have the whole setup front rotors and brakes in the garage. 50 bux.

I have blanks on there now with Hawk HPS and they're good but the rotors still warp after 5000 miles. Never had this problem with any car i've owned besides the Max.

I think everything from the suspension down on these cars is an issue. I've had my car in multiple times 10+ for these issues.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Did switch the rotors around this weekend and there was a difference in the sound. The vibration is gone and the sound is not as loud but it is still there. I will give it another 2K miles and see what happens.