6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Switchback Installation Question... Don't shoot me, read first

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Go ahead... try me

Switchback Installation Question... Don't shoot me, read first

Hey guys..

I understand there were posts on what wires to use and where to install, yadda yadda. I followed both threads... on here and on 6th gen max web site. BUT.. I'm having a problem. I spliced in the TAIL LIGHTS... solid blue wire and black ground When I wired it all up using 3 ohm resistors The signals would flash ONCE then turn off. When I unplug one of the resistors, the other signal light (that's plugged in) works fine... but when I plug the resistor back in, BOTH signal flash once and stop working. And, as you all know, when I unplug all resistors, the signal start flashing fast (expected). I'm guess I need the 6ohm resistors since I have LEDs for the reverse lights, license plate light, front corner lights, etc. I posted pics of the wires I spliced into... let me know what you guys think.

Oh one more thing... I tried wiring the resistor to the BLUE wire and the RED W/Black stripe of the TAILS... the reverse lights started flashing lol.
Am I not splicing into the right wires or what? What should I dooooooooooooooooo?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

It should be the green and black wire when connecting resistors at the tail lights. Also you need 6ohm resistors.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM

The reverse, plates, and cornering lights have nothing to do with the turn-signal lights.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Go ahead... try me

I ordered 6 ohm resistors... I should get them in a couple of days. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Can it be something else????
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM

nah its your resistors bro... and make sure you have a good connection.... also keep in mind the resistors get really hott..
Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by thealliance43
nah its your resistors bro... and make sure you have a good connection.... also keep in mind the resistors get really hott..
Yeah I know... When I installed mine, I wrapped them with electrician's tape... and stuck it to the frame of the car with 3M tape so it doesn't move around and burn anything... But I took all the tape off when it didn't work right. ... Thanks guys for the help. I hope I get the resistors soon, becuz the fast flashing is makin me feel like my high school days when we did the fast signals on purpose lol
Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
*moderator*

Yeah the 6's will do you fine. Just follow my pic and it should all be good!!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Go ahead... try me

Thanks J...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM

keep us updated...we're always down to help
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Go ahead... try me

keep us updated...we're always down to help
Thank bro..

I know I can depend on you guys. Hell, you guys taught me about my car a lot more than what I would've learned on my own. Since this is my first Maxi... it was nice to learn everything about it, and know my way around the car. I'll definitely keep you updated when I get my 6 ohms installed.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 AM

any updates?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
any updates?
I haven't received my damn 6 ohm resistors yet... Hopefully I get them by tomorrow. I ordered and paid for priority... They should be here soon. I'll definitely keep you posted bro...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 AM

i'm still a lil lost on this. idk y ur 3ohm arn't workin right. i used 3ohm hooked up to the tailights when i just had the switchbacks in front. butttttt hopefully the 6 ohm works out
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Go ahead... try me

Ok FINALLY I got my 6 ohm resistors... and YES that was the problem. I installed them today.. and now the switchbacks and taillights work beautifully. No fast blinking, no one-flash action, and no issues.... I honestly think if you have any bulbs that are LED's in the taillight assembly... regardless even if one, you'll need 6 ohm resistors... I pretty much LED'd my entire car... front, back, and interior, so I definitely needed the 6 ohms. I got them and it's done.

Thanks guy for everything.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
*moderator*

Glad everything is all set but again the resistors only affect the blinkers and nothing else, just so as to not confuse anyone...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Glad everything is all set but again the resistors only affect the blinkers and nothing else, just so as to not confuse anyone...
Thanks J..

Quick Q... you mean you need them only if you have LED in the tail lights to help blinking?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
*moderator*

Anytime you add LED's to any blinking light they will blink fast due to the low power draw, the car thinks the bulb is burnt out (built in alert system) If you ONLY have resistors in either the front OR back, you need the 6 ohm resistors. If you have LED's in the front AND the back then you can either put 6's on all 4 corners or two 3 ohm on either the front or back and it will cover both.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 AM

Anytime you add LED's to any blinking light they will blink fast due to the low power draw, the car thinks the bulb is burnt out (built in alert system) If you ONLY have resistors in either the front OR back, you need the 6 ohm resistors. If you have LED's in the front AND the back then you can either put 6's on all 4 corners or two 3 ohm on either the front or back and it will cover both.
hey j, i put 2 6ohm resistors in the front with my led taillights and my switchbacks and it works fine... but i guess like everything else there are exceptions
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 AM
*moderator*

Yes but that is because the LED taillights have resistors built in so 6's are fine.
(I should have mentioned LED bulbs in the OEM tails not the ezkoncept one)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Go ahead... try me

Yes but that is because the LED taillights have resistors built in so 6's are fine.
(I should have mentioned LED bulbs in the OEM tails not the ezkoncept one)
Gotchya... Thanks J...

Man I felt like a ricer driving those past few days with the fast blinker... . And it was irritating... when people get in my car, all i hear is "why you tryin to be a ricer?"... "do you have a signal light bulb out?" LOL it was irritating as hell... but thankfully it's solved... phew
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Go ahead... try me

hey j, i put 2 6ohm resistors in the front with my led taillights and my switchbacks and it works fine... but i guess like everything else there are exceptions

True that
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 AM

I don't have any LED's on my max, but I put them all around the bike I built. In that case I wired in a electronic blinker relay instead of a traditional one (that relies on current). Do they not make an electronic relay that will work on the Max?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

Originally Posted by Scott D.
I don't have any LED's on my max, but I put them all around the bike I built. In that case I wired in a electronic blinker relay instead of a traditional one (that relies on current). Do they not make an electronic relay that will work on the Max?
Our 6th gen does not use a flasher relay, turn signals are controlled by the BCM(body control module).
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Well there has to be a relay somewhere or it wouldn't speed up. Hrmm.. I wonder if I can find the schematics somewhere. Build a plug and play unit to eliminate the resistors and switchbacks.