6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bad transmission? heres what I have noticed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 AM

So if I do a flush at the dealer and my tranny fails soon after, I can make them give me a new one
Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
As stated , I do understand why not to in a higher mileage car, but I find it hard to believe that using their machine to truly flush the transmission puts more strain on the internals than driving it under normal load. thats quite some pressure. 12 quarts was replaced on mine as stated on the specs when refilling a tranny 5AT. i believe I was charged for 15 though. Why would Nissan offer this service if its detrimental to the parts? not trying to sound like a douche but please explain.
Thats only what I've been told, as far as I know a flush machine is only suppose to remove old fluid and replace with new, unless the flush machine is not as efficient as one thinks, but someone in that field of expertise would know better and I know just cause on car can get the service does not mean other cars can.

I need to visit my dealer and I'll ask, but when I was in their for the 30k service when they said flush the service advisor told me it was a drain refill, WINTER should know better, he has a Maxima and work for Nissan, who better to tell us why which is better
Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by WINTERFAUST
what I meant is I know you do most of your own work.... you will be able to do it with a good light and mirror.. lol sorry there was no joke there
aha! gotcha
Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
Chris,

A very helpful thread. Thanks for willing to help.

Any advice for CVT? How are the complaints on the CVT, not just from Maxima owners but from any Nissan owner?
lol yeah trade that snowmobile transmissioned car in already! the fluid on that car is extremely expensive, expect a $300 drain and refill

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
As stated , I do understand why not to in a higher mileage car, but I find it hard to believe that using their machine to truly flush the transmission puts more strain on the internals than driving it under normal load. thats quite some pressure. 12 quarts was replaced on mine as stated on the specs when refilling a tranny 5AT. i believe I was charged for 15 though. Why would Nissan offer this service if its detrimental to the parts? not trying to sound like a douche but please explain.
Nissan does not make the flush machines. They are made by the chemical companies (Bg, Castle, Moc, etc) or tool manufacturers (Mac, Snapon, Matco) As the general consensus from a lot of us some dealerships suck ***.. I happen to have a boatload of experience with the Max. as 1 out 5 cars that come through my service lane is one (we do 60-100 cars a day do the math). I really do not have a scientific explanation of how or what exactly happens. All I can tell you that from my experience it is bad. My best guess is that the extra pressure messes up the valve body by jamming the passages with the material its trying to clean out and that burns up the solenoid packs.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
So if I do a flush at the dealer and my tranny fails soon after, I can make them give me a new one
goodluck with that one....although we have had to do it...

Originally Posted by STARR
Thats only what I've been told, as far as I know a flush machine is only suppose to remove old fluid and replace with new, unless the flush machine is not as efficient as one thinks, but someone in that field of expertise would know better and I know just cause on car can get the service does not mean other cars can.

I need to visit my dealer and I'll ask, but when I was in their for the 30k service when they said flush the service advisor told me it was a drain refill, WINTER should know better, he has a Maxima and work for Nissan, who better to tell us why which is better
see post above, and thanks... Feel free to ask any of the DC/VA/MD/PA/NY guys that have seen/see me for service, I wont try to lead anyone wrong.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 PM

lol yeah trade that snowmobile transmissioned car in already! the fluid on that car is extremely expensive, expect a $300 drain and refill
So what are your future car buying plans?

Nissan has installed the "snowmobile transmission" in its entire lineup, even the 290hp 09 Maxima didn't get any other option and maybe the Altima will not get either from its new generation or even from its midcycle refresh in 2010 (like what happened to the Maxima in 2007). Not only that, fuel efficient cars, such as the Prius, Civic Hybrid, etc. from other manufacturers are also coming with the "snowmobile transmission". And fuel efficiency is the talk of this millenium. So you seem to be pretty limited with your future car buying options unless you manage to construct a new tranny for your needs with your boatload of experience

By the way, isn't the CVT fluid in the Maxima supposed to be changed after 60k miles/48 months?

Last edited by bb700092; 08-09-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM

Good info chris...

Mine is a 2004 Maxima SL (4 Speed) With almost the same probleme (gianic1)
SLIP BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND FROM TIME TO TIME AND NO DOWN SHIFT (KICK DOWN) AFTER 40km

THANKS CHRIS
Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
So what are your future car buying plans?

Nissan has installed the "snowmobile transmission" in its entire lineup, even the 290hp 09 Maxima didn't get any other option and maybe the Altima will not get either from its new generation or even from its midcycle refresh in 2010 (like what happened to the Maxima in 2007). Not only that, fuel efficient cars, such as the Prius, Civic Hybrid, etc. from other manufacturers are also coming with the "snowmobile transmission". And fuel efficiency is the talk of this millenium. So you seem to be pretty limited with your future car buying options unless you manage to construct a new tranny for your needs with your boatload of experience

By the way, isn't the CVT fluid in the Maxima supposed to be changed after 60k miles/48 months?
Yes, pretty much everything is going to CVT. We actually were the test car repair shop for the CVT Maxima so I had seen it LONG before it was made. Funny thing is the CVT was a 6 gen body not the 6.5. When I saw the 6.5 I was pleasantly surprised to see the styling changes, Interior changes etc.

The CVT fluid is actually not on a maintainable schedule BUT... The Nissan consult III tool can actually check the deterioration level of the fluid as a particle per million count to let you know when it needs to be changed. I would keep it on a normal change schedule none the less. Good news is I have only had to replace 1 of those in an Enterprise rental car. That was a suspect repair as the car had been previously hit....So in the Maxima and smaller platforms I believe its a very reliable transmission.

Putting power to the CVT I feel sketchy though its the hole belt, variable pulley(s) and intense high transmission pressure thing I guess. I have not had alot of luck with that trans in the Murano especially in the AWD models.

Yes, it may be the way of the future for vehicles for fuel consumption concern. Maybe someone will step up to the plate and make it handle some power, and take that concern away from us old gear heads.... Anyone have a jet kit laying around for this quadrajet I have here????
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 PM

sounds more like a crank sensor starting going out. OR maybe need a reprogram of the TCM.

so if im experiencing the same issues as gianic1 i should reprogram my TCM? or have my crank sensor checked? i'm just a lil edgy about taking it back to the dealer, when i originally took it in for this issue they told me it was the valve body was bad and changed it but still its not fixed, i would like to just have the tranny fixed without paying anything..... also they told me they couldn't even advance my timing....
Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Funny thing I came across this thread. Here are my current issues. Dealership told me about 6 months ago I need a front motor mount. Discovered just last week my inner passenger side CV boot is busted, grease all over the lower control arm and wheel well. I'm hoping I can save the axle with a CV Boot replacement.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
so if im experiencing the same issues as gianic1 i should reprogram my TCM? or have my crank sensor checked? i'm just a lil edgy about taking it back to the dealer, when i originally took it in for this issue they told me it was the valve body was bad and changed it but still its not fixed, i would like to just have the tranny fixed without paying anything..... also they told me they couldn't even advance my timing....
sounds like... they suck! I have advanced so many peoples timing I have lost count.... Yes, I believe there is a TSB stating that the TCM needs to be reprogrammed when the trans is replaced. I would not think any different when you are having the valve body changed. If your dealer is that much of a bone you may want to search for a new one.

I want everyone to know as well. SMOOZE your service advisor! Become friendly with them, bring them lunch. bring them a cup of starbucks... slap them a $20 after the service. Bring them a 6 pack of good beer... I am SO serious, you get that person in the palm of your hand and things will happen.. PROMISE!

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Funny thing I came across this thread. Here are my current issues. Dealership told me about 6 months ago I need a front motor mount. Discovered just last week my inner passenger side CV boot is busted, grease all over the lower control arm and wheel well. I'm hoping I can save the axle with a CV Boot replacement.
I am really hoping you took care of that motor mount. When the motor mount is bad it puts alot of stress on the drive train with the motor twisting in the engine bay. It will wear the other motor mount, put added stress on the drive train etc. However I do not think that is what tore your CV boot. Goodluck!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

......I am really hoping you took care of that motor mount. When the motor mount is bad it puts alot of stress on the drive train with the motor twisting in the engine bay. It will wear the other motor mount, put added stress on the drive train etc. However I do not think that is what tore your CV boot. Goodluck!

I'm going to get my motor mounts checked ASAP. Question: if the MM happens to be bad, I will have them replace it it but what other mods or things could we be looking to take care of while he is changing the MM?

I also had my passanger CV boot tear, yea grease all over my chrome. My tech ordered the whole axle (not OEM) for like about $20 over what the boot itself costs but it didn't fit because it was for a 6spd. The axle for the 5sp Auto is NOT CHEAP, so back to the boot replacement.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
I'm going to get my motor mounts checked ASAP. Question: if the MM happens to be bad, I will have them replace it it but what other mods or things could we be looking to take care of while he is changing the MM?

I also had my passanger CV boot tear, yea grease all over my chrome. My tech ordered the whole axle (not OEM) for like about $20 over what the boot itself costs but it didn't fit because it was for a 6spd. The axle for the 5sp Auto is NOT CHEAP, so back to the boot replacement.
Do the racingline MM inserts, front sway bar is a lot easier to do if you have not done that yet.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Yup, the dealer quoted me $572 for a new axle ouch! I'm taking mine in Wednesday or Thursday so they can look at it. That front MM is expensive as h#!! too!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Do the racingline MM inserts, front sway bar is a lot easier to do if you have not done that yet.
Cool, thanks! Putting it on my list.

Yup, the dealer quoted me $572 for a new axle ouch! I'm taking mine in Wednesday or Thursday so they can look at it. That front MM is expensive as h#!! too!

I told you that axle was expensive. Just have them do that boot, I think it should be fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM
SmokinMaxSE

What I noitced with my 04 5speed auto is its always in 5th gear even around 35mph. When I brake to a complete stop the transmission waits a few seconds after sitting still to drop into 1st gear. So the vehicle is braking to 0mph while in 2nd gear. That can't be normal?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Chris I guess my PMs didnt go thru, Could you possiable check if the 06 Tranny and 04 are indeed the same tranny ? I talk to Chern and he said his tranny guy siad that the 06 have differnt part #s internally than the 04.

Im scrapping the 6MT cause a memeber here hasnt gotten back to me on his tranny. I cant stand driving without 3rd gear, I found a 06 5AT for a very good price but just wanted to make sure everything is the same since you have access to the info.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
What I noitced with my 04 5speed auto is its always in 5th gear even around 35mph. When I brake to a complete stop the transmission waits a few seconds after sitting still to drop into 1st gear. So the vehicle is braking to 0mph while in 2nd gear. That can't be normal?
yer right its not....

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Chris I guess my PMs didnt go thru, Could you possiable check if the 06 Tranny and 04 are indeed the same tranny ? I talk to Chern and he said his tranny guy siad that the 06 have differnt part #s internally than the 04.

Im scrapping the 6MT cause a memeber here hasnt gotten back to me on his tranny. I cant stand driving without 3rd gear, I found a 06 5AT for a very good price but just wanted to make sure everything is the same since you have access to the info.

Thanks
I will check tomorrow at work
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM

yer right its not....

I will check tomorrow at work

Thanks Chris
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 PM

Wow, I never new till after reading this thread and doing some research through my tranny parts supplier, that not only did the '04 auto sl's come with the 4-speed a/t, but they actually used the RE4F04A instead of the ones used on 5.5 gens (RE4F04B), that's weaksauce. I am anxious to see what's in our '04 I35, I don't think I've ever looked at the tag, it has the 1-2 hang-up than bang and slips when cold, I've had to go down to 20k or less intervals!! The problems seem to creap up between 15-20k and changing the fluid helps for another 15-20k.

Anyways, just to clarify. It's doing it on the lift that is the reason you guys are seeing 4qts'ish, and to the guy that mentioned jacking up the front getting less, it's the other way around, the higher you can get the front the more you will get out, I get it real real high using extra blocks under the jack and get out 6.5 with the tailpipe on the ground, this is on other RE4F04x trannied/
Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 PM

my max has 40K miles and was never flushed. When I bought it at the dealer, they said that they had checked the tranny oil and it "was fine and didnt need to be changed".

?

I'm under extended warranty. Should I just 1-not think about it, 2-pay them to change it, 3- change it myself?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
my max has 40K miles and was never flushed. When I bought it at the dealer, they said that they had checked the tranny oil and it "was fine and didnt need to be changed".

?

I'm under extended warranty. Should I just 1-not think about it, 2-pay them to change it, 3- change it myself?
Just pay them to change it. Here is why... If something goes wrong. You can blame it on THEM! I don't understand the logic with people just doing it themselves except that its fun or just saves them the $$.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
aka The Doom Ship

When is Nissan gonna step up and offer a 100k mile warranty? Only 10k miles out of coverage and sh!+ is starting to fall apart.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 AM

When is Nissan gonna step up and offer a 100k mile warranty? Only 10k miles out of coverage and sh!+ is starting to fall apart.
Who knows... with the way the economy the way it is now, one would think sooner to bump up the sales of their vehicles. Then I will know I have to find another job.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM

i have a 04 4spd
with 68k
i did a machine flush at 45-50k
tranny is fine but it does slip-hardbump from time to time.
and i do beat on my tranny often.
hopefully nothing serious. crosses fingers.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jingiko
i have a 04 4spd
with 68k
i did a machine flush at 45-50k
tranny is fine but it does slip-hardbump from time to time.
and i do beat on my tranny often.
hopefully nothing serious. crosses fingers.
I would do a drain and refill anytime now until 75k latest.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Just called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for thursday. First thing i asked they tech "how many transmissions have you guys replaced in the maxima?" he hesitates and says "none." Last month they replaced the valve body to fix my 1-2 slip issue I told him it still slips intermittently. he said well bring it in and we will call nissan and see what they want to do.

Currently have 60,500 Miles w/ exetended warranty. I'll keep u guys updated hopefully they just replace it and save me the headache.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
Just called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for thursday. First thing i asked they tech "how many transmissions have you guys replaced in the maxima?" he hesitates and says "none." Last month they replaced the valve body to fix my 1-2 slip issue I told him it still slips intermittently. he said well bring it in and we will call nissan and see what they want to do.

Currently have 60,500 Miles w/ exetended warranty. I'll keep u guys updated hopefully they just replace it and save me the headache.
if you want to PM me your VIN # I can look at what warranty you have and tell you whats going to happen and/or what to expect. We don't even bother replacing the valve body because they always come back.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey WINTERFAUST, I have a 2004 SE 5sp AT... I have noticed that when the car is cold it shifts hard from 1-2 gear.. after warming up.. it's less noticable or gone completely.. took it to nissan, they have suggested a TCM REPROGRAMMING as there was information regarding cold shifting requiring this reprogramming. Have you heard of this or am i going to be comming back later with transmission problems.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM
aka The Doom Ship

* Update *

Went to my local Goodyear/Repair shop and had my axle replaced for $269 labor included! I inspected the new axle and it looks good and rides good so far.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Just pay them to change it. Here is why... If something goes wrong. You can blame it on THEM! I don't understand the logic with people just doing it themselves except that its fun or just saves them the $$.
I can't agree more, I've done enough work myself to know that for what I saved it was not worth it to do again, I'd rather have someone that knows what their doing and if they accidentally break or damage something in the process they fix it, I've had way no many "Fvck" moments where making several trips to the auto part store or the dealer was closed so it had to wait until the next day.

I had my car in for serviced for the 30k and will bring it back for the 60k, I actually need to stop by the dealer and slip my service advisor a 20 to say thanks for all the work, show my face etc...
Old 08-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by DFUNKE1
Hey WINTERFAUST, I have a 2004 SE 5sp AT... I have noticed that when the car is cold it shifts hard from 1-2 gear.. after warming up.. it's less noticable or gone completely.. took it to nissan, they have suggested a TCM REPROGRAMMING as there was information regarding cold shifting requiring this reprogramming. Have you heard of this or am i going to be comming back later with transmission problems.
I have heard of this, however I think it will only be a very temporary fix.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DFUNKE1
Harder cold shifts are not uncommon, trans fluid works just like other fluids, it needs to warm up, BMW programs it's transmissions not to shift out of 2nd until they reach a certain temperature, I read that years ago and and I don't really stay ontop of BMW like I use to so what ever they do I don't know, just recently I read of some BMW owner complaining that his car would not shift on the highway, he later realized it needed to be at operating temp 1st

Back to the Maxima mine had a hard felt shift between either 1-2/2-1 or 2-3/3-2 I don't really know, but I could replicate it daily at exact points on my drive, after putting the Active Tuning Grounding Kit on my car it made the shift so much smoother that I don't notice it anymore
Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM

how much does a transmission job cost at the stealership?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2005 Maxima is at the Gaithersburg Nissan right now for an oil change and the tech recommended changing the transmission fluid because it was dirty. The quote was around $120.
My car has just over 30 K miles. Is this something the dealer should do or is it easy enough that I can do it myself?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM

I would have them do it. $120 isnt too bad and 30k is when I should have done mine

Last edited by Apollos2; 09-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 AM

LOL Gaithersburg Nissan... you mean Criswell Nissan?

Thats where I just left. Company is **** to be employed for but the techs are top notch. Also if you have Pai as an advisor he less than nice to his customers. $120 is a drain and refill on that car there... NOT a flush do not be confused....
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 AM

ALSO if anyone now needs my help I am at

Antwerpen Security Nissan
1701 Woodlawn Ave
Baltimore, Md 21207
410-298-4400

-Chris
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 AM

* Update *

Went to my local Goodyear/Repair shop and had my axle replaced for $269 labor included! I inspected the new axle and it looks good and rides good so far.

Do you know where they got the replacment axle? As far as I knew there weren't any aftermarket axles for the 5AT yet. Did they use an OEM axle?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 AM

Do you know where they got the replacment axle? As far as I knew there weren't any aftermarket axles for the 5AT yet. Did they use an OEM axle?

of course there are... I replaced Papal's like 5 months ago....

Quick Reply: Bad transmission? heres what I have noticed