6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bad transmission? heres what I have noticed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Bad transmission? heres what I have noticed

Ok guys some of you know me from 6thgen. Many of you do not.

My names Chris and I work as a service manager for a Nissan dealer in Gaithersburg, MD. We are a high volume dealer and have a significant amount of Maximas we service.

anyhow...

Some of you may have read/ranted and maybe even experienced transmission problems on your 6th gen Maxima. This is especially if you have the 04 with the 4spd trans.

This is what I have been noticing. over the past year and a half.

We have replaced 17 transmissions in that time span.

80% of the transmissions are on the 04.

Just about 60% of the transmissions that I have put in over the past year have had one or more broken motor mounts.

80% of the transmissions were not properly taken care of. ie. transmission fluid changed at MAXIMUM of 60k (this should be every 30k in my book).

So in short I think it may be time for us all to inspect the motor mounts on our cars (especially the front).

As much as you hate your dealer get your trans fluid every 30k with the CORRECT fluid. If you want to use fluid other than Nissan you may use the following:

Compatible Synthetic ATF fluids

Royal Purple- Max ATF
Red Line Oil- D4 ATF, High-Temp ATF
AMSOIL- Synthetic ATF
Mobil1- Synthetic ATF

If anyone needs warranty help or mechanical help feel free to PM me anytime!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 PM

funny you brought this up, im having problems with the black max , it seems like I need to replace the tranny, from what I hear they are not repairable. questions can you hook it up , one more, how hard would it be to put a 5sp into this car 2005 sl with vdc.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM

What's there to inspect on the motor mounts? If we have the RacingLine motor mount inserts, then will that help "protect" the mounts in a way since they reinforce them? I have an '04 and the mounts are electronic, so more info on this?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 PM

Chris , dont you have any 5ATs comming in as well with issues ? just curious cause theres a few of us down here in Florida that has issues with the 5ATs. I dont quite see 4ATs much
Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
What's there to inspect on the motor mounts? If we have the RacingLine motor mount inserts, then will that help "protect" the mounts in a way since they reinforce them? I have an '04 and the mounts are electronic, so more info on this?
YES, the RacinglLine MMI helps significantly. I however have not seen anyone with these on the vehicle. You will see the mount "torn" inside... the actual rubber will be pulled away from the metal body of the mount.

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Chris , don't you have any 5ATs coming in as well with issues ? just curious cause theres a few of us down here in Florida that has issues with the 5ATs. I don't quite see 4ATs much
I have seen some of the 5ats coming apart, but mostly the 4at. I just replaced DaLastDon (4at torn mmi, horrific fluid) Smokedoutmaxi (5at good mmi and fluid) so yes, it effects all of the trans. But on the most part they are 4at, bad MMI's and dirty fluid.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM

i've been replacing the tranny fluid every 15k after the 30k mark. i noticed it after driving about 10k it starts to get dirty. i have an 04.. and after a long trip with the max, and start it up the minute it rests for a bit, i feel like it slips, meaning shifting from 3-4th gear slips. is this common? i took the precaution by replacing the tranny fluid at 15k. or once i see it dirty.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaxJ04
I've been replacing the trans fluid every 15k after the 30k mark. i noticed it after driving about 10k it starts to get dirty. i have an 04.. and after a long trip with the max, and start it up the minute it rests for a bit, i feel like it slips, meaning shifting from 3-4th gear slips. is this common? i took the precaution by replacing the trans fluid at 15k. or once i see it dirty.

Premature fluid change should not hurt the trans. Just make sure the fluid is filled to the correct level at HOT.

USUALLY. The noticeable signs of these trans letting loose is. (in order)
1) slip from 1-2 and then hard bang
2) no engagement from 2-1 on light deceleration then a hard bang
3) trans stuck in 5th (5at)
4) no engagement in any gear
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by WINTERFAUST
Premature fluid change should not hurt the trans. Just make sure the fluid is filled to the correct level at HOT.

USUALLY. The noticeable signs of these trans letting loose is. (in order)
1) slip from 1-2 and then hard bang
2) no engagement from 2-1 on light deceleration then a hard bang
3) trans stuck in 5th (5at)
4) no engagement in any gear
nothing of that nature yet. but thats what i feel after a long trip .. it feels like its hard to grip the "clutch" <--- noob guess.. its like it grabs it after the second try. no bangs.. just that part scars me a bit.

do I have to put the whole 5 quarts in between changing? my mechanic puts 4-1/2 because he sees that its full. I use Matic-K i think thats for the 5AT tranny
Thanks FRAUST
Old 08-08-2008, 07:57 AM

How does one change the transmission fluid? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
How does one change the transmission fluid? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere...
there's a drain plug under the car. i think its used with a allenwrench ... and then u fill it back through the dipstick hole on the engine. there's a tranny dipstick that sticks out.. i would do it myself but i dont want to mess anything up. so yeah .. its really simple .. just like oil change but u pour the ATF through the dipstick hole.

hope that helps
Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the right up very helpfull luckly i haven't had any tranny issue yet i bouhgt the car with 31K and i had the dealer change the fluid it's got 41K on it now no issues
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 AM

nothing of that nature yet. but thats what i feel after a long trip .. it feels like its hard to grip the "clutch" <--- noob guess.. its like it grabs it after the second try. no bangs.. just that part scars me a bit.

do I have to put the whole 5 quarts in between changing? my mechanic puts 4-1/2 because he sees that its full. I use Matic-K i think thats for the 5AT tranny
Thanks FAUST
I am pretty sure you are overfilling it. It should only take 3.5 qts on a drain and refill...I will check a bit later
Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 AM

there's a drain plug under the car. i think its used with a allenwrench ... and then u fill it back through the dipstick hole on the engine. there's a tranny dipstick that sticks out.. i would do it myself but i dont want to mess anything up. so yeah .. its really simple .. just like oil change but u pour the ATF through the dipstick hole.

hope that helps
also, the vehicle has to be running while the fluid is added and checked. Make sure you are getting a reading at HOT... not at cold. The vehicle should be on a flat, level surface as well.

After you fill it, cycle the transmission through all the gears including neutral and reverse while running (e-brake or brakes applied).
Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM

I am pretty sure you are overfilling it. It should only take 3.5 qts on a drain and refill...I will check a bit later
stupid service techs.. at "bay ridge" nissan ask me whats my tranny and model.. i say 5spd auto .. they give me the 5 quarts.. I would assume they're right. and i take it to my mechanic and they put less then 5 quarts. like 4-1/2 and its filled to the hot already.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Why drain and refill and not get it flushed and replace all fluid. Only and unfortunately done at the dealership.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM

so winterfraust... 1st WHAT up!! you cool with my boy eddiemaxx!! i found out about your meet a lil to late or else i woulda been in there hope we meet up your place did good work to eddies car to bad he's still slow!! lol

2nd.. what are your suggestions on changing the tranny fluid. because i know most cars you do the 2 drain method of draining it running the car a lil bit then draining again to get out whats left in the convertor. ?? lmk bc i got a 5at and almost at 60k
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Chris you sure its only 3.5 QTs? Ive been filling it up 5QTs
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Newbie just Registered

I think it depends on the position of the car. If you lift the front only, then less will come out. I get mine on a lift, and about 5 quarts come out each time.

Nice write up Chris.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Why drain and refill and not get it flushed and replace all fluid. Only and unfortunately done at the dealership.
Some flush machines can be harmful to the trans. ESPECIALLY if you have never had one done and you are at 75k plus. Too much pressure can actually harm bands and do more harm than good.

Originally Posted by 90max
so winterfraust... 1st WHAT up!! you cool with my boy eddiemaxx!! i found out about your meet a lil to late or else i woulda been in there hope we meet up your place did good work to eddies car to bad he's still slow!! lol

2nd.. what are your suggestions on changing the tranny fluid. because i know most cars you do the 2 drain method of draining it running the car a lil bit then draining again to get out whats left in the convertor. ?? lmk bc i got a 5at and almost at 60k
you can use this method, I would not recommend running through any of the gears while most of the fluid is out though.

I did mine on a lift and it took >4 qts after letting it sit open for about an hour and a half draining.

Originally Posted by RHMax
I think it depends on the position of the car. If you lift the front only, then less will come out. I get mine on a lift, and about 5 quarts come out each time.

Nice write up Chris.
If you do the 2 drain method and are draining the vehicle at an angle you may get 5 qts out, I would REALLY be careful with the fill level and make sure you are putting exactly the proper amount.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM

Chris,
This thread couldn't have come at a better time, I was just about to do this to the max! To help your thread out, I'm gonna take pics of a broken motor mount I pulled out a few weekends ago. I'll get those up here soon.

However, I have a question..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to flush- Let the car sit and drain fluid for a while.. fill.. run the car.. drain again.. fill again?

I'm confused, I see people saying to start the car to get the rest of the fluid out.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by whitem1ke88
Chris,
This thread couldn't have come at a better time, I was just about to do this to the max! To help your thread out, I'm gonna take pics of a broken motor mount I pulled out a few weekends ago. I'll get those up here soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to flush- Let the car sit and drain fluid for a while.. fill.. run the car.. drain again.. fill again?

I'm confused, I see people saying to start the car to get the rest of the fluid out.

Thanks!

plz do a write up on the motor mount!! others i know have ran into that problem thanx in advance
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by whitem1ke88
Chris,

Thanks!
Totally cool. Drain and refill is whats that is called. You can call it flush if you want.. but its really only a drain a refill. Flushing is actually putting a machine with 16+ qts of fluid to pump through the transmission to get all the crap out.

To start the car, will spin some of the extra fluid out of the torque converter as it too holds much of the fluid in it.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

i wonder if the drain/refill method will work as a "flush" to a tranny.. i know that it wont' get all the dirty oil out but 99% of it? ... and flushing th tranny isn't good at any milage harmful.. different tranny fluids may remain on the machine and thus pushing the dirt into your tranny. thats what i would assume is the problem with flushing the tranny?..
Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Chris , my Tech guy said theres still some stuff in the T/C that might factor why I had to do 5QTs.

Just insight

btw check your PMs
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM

i wonder if the drain/refill method will work as a "flush" to a tranny.. i know that it wont' get all the dirty oil out but 99% of it? ... and flushing th tranny isn't good at any milage harmful.. different tranny fluids may remain on the machine and thus pushing the dirt into your tranny. thats what i would assume is the problem with flushing the tranny?..
YES! that is as well. IF the shop does not "flush" the flush machine it can contaminate the new fluid going into the trans. As far as draining and refilling the trans a few times. It may get out 85% of the total dirty fluid.

Chris , my Tech guy said theres still some stuff in the T/C that might factor why I had to do 5QTs.

Just insight

btw check your PMs
I still think the 5 qts is a bit on the heavy side.....

uhhh what pms boss??
Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Check again Chris.... thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Just got back from the dealer to see this thread. Got a trans fluid changed. They flushed it.
I asked them to drain and fill bt the service manager persisted on flushing. His explanation: drain and fill will leave dirty fluid behind defeating the purpose. Also said that since this is the first trans fluid change(40k) I should go for flushing and then later can go for draining and refilling. Any insight?
How do you know your motor mount is bust???

Last edited by rick sambora; 08-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM

i did the service on mine a couple months back and got a trans filter kit with gasket and pulled the pan on my 4 speed and got way more then 5 quarts out. i drained it out through the plug first and then dropped the pan the the drain hole is pretty much useless you only get about half of it out. by the way i did it on a 2 post hoist at the shop i work at so it was level the whole time. it took about 6 or 7 quarts ti fill and was right in the middle of the "HOT" part on the dipstick...

if you want to pull the pan i recommend having a few hours to do it. if you have a 4 speed like me. you have to jack up the back of the engine and tilt it so the pan has clearence for you to get 3 of the back bolts out
Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 PM

YES, the RacinglLine MMI helps significantly. I however have not seen anyone with these on the vehicle. You will see the mount "torn" inside... the actual rubber will be pulled away from the metal body of the mount.
Is it possible to get a good visual of the mounts without taking anything apart? I can see the front mount pretty well, and it doesn't seem like any rubber is chunking away to one side, and the rear...?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Perfect post at the perfect time. I have an 04 SL 4sp, and ive noticed at certain acceleration rates from a dead stop the tranny seems to pause going from 1st to 2nd, there is noticeable drop in acceleration, almost like tapping the break, and then im back on my way. The whole process only lasts a fraction of a second. This usually happens with a low/medium rate of accel while trying to maximize gas mileage(commute 110 miles a day). Rarely if ever does this happen with any other shift at any speed or when I punch it from a dead stop.

Is this the beginning of the end?

Im an engine noob so could some one tell me where the motor mounts can be found?

I now have 80k miles on it and having bought used not sure what has been done as far as mantainence on the tranny. From what ive read i should stay away from the flush and stick to fluid replacement? Is there any other preventative mantainence i could do to squeeze 2 more years out of the tranny?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by gianic1
Perfect post at the perfect time. I have an 04 SL 4sp, and ive noticed at certain acceleration rates from a dead stop the tranny seems to pause going from 1st to 2nd The whole process only lasts a fraction of a second. This usually happens with a low/medium rate of accel while trying to maximize gas mileage Rarely if ever does this happen with any other shift at any speed or when I punch it from a dead stop.

im in the same boat please help!!!! lol I had the same issue at 60k I took it in for the 60k service and complained about it(still WAS under warrenty) they found out it was the valve body and replaced it. At the time i noticed the issue was gone until about 4wks after it started doing it again i just don't know what to do.... currently have 61k.....
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rick sambora
Just got back from the dealer to see this thread. Got a trans fluid changed. They flushed it.
I asked them to drain and fill bt the service manager persisted on flushing. His explanation: drain and fill will leave dirty fluid behind defeating the purpose. Also said that since this is the first trans fluid change(40k) I should go for flushing and then later can go for draining and refilling. Any insight?
How do you know your motor mount is bust???
ypur car has fairly low mileage, I do not think a flush will hurt it at this time. if you can get under the car you can easily see the front motor mount with a flashlight and inspect it. It will look torn... almost like it is pulled away from its casing, OR the mount bolt in the center of it. It is fairly obvious.

Originally Posted by Shoey1
i did the service on mine a couple months back and got a trans filter kit with gasket and pulled the pan on my 4 speed and got way more then 5 quarts out. i drained it out through the plug first and then dropped the pan the the drain hole is pretty much useless you only get about half of it out. by the way i did it on a 2 post hoist at the shop i work at so it was level the whole time. it took about 6 or 7 quarts ti fill and was right in the middle of the "HOT" part on the dipstick...

if you want to pull the pan i recommend having a few hours to do it. if you have a 4 speed like me. you have to jack up the back of the engine and tilt it so the pan has clearence for you to get 3 of the back bolts out
lol you must have some bastard Canadian product... 6 or 7 qts? trans fliter? Uh its got a pump screen on ours. Filters are so... uhhh Dodge.

Is it possible to get a good visual of the mounts without taking anything apart? I can see the front mount pretty well, and it doesn't seem like any rubber is chunking away to one side, and the rear...?
see about prjct buddy.. I know you do most of your stuff your self on your back, so you may want a good light and a mirror.

Originally Posted by gianic1
Perfect post at the perfect time. I have an 04 SL 4sp, and ive noticed at certain acceleration rates from a dead stop the tranny seems to pause going from 1st to 2nd, there is noticeable drop in acceleration, almost like tapping the break, and then im back on my way. The whole process only lasts a fraction of a second. This usually happens with a low/medium rate of accel while trying to maximize gas mileage(commute 110 miles a day). Rarely if ever does this happen with any other shift at any speed or when I punch it from a dead stop.

Im an engine noob so could some one tell me where the motor mounts can be found?

I now have 80k miles on it and having bought used not sure what has been done as far as mantainence on the tranny. From what ive read i should stay away from the flush and stick to fluid replacement? Is there any other preventative mantainence i could do to squeeze 2 more years out of the tranny?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
sounds more like a crank sensor starting going out. OR maybe need a reprogram of the TCM. I would definitely drain and refill your transmission and literally flush all the other fluids like coolant, brake and power steering since you do not know the history of this car.

Lastly IF you are planning to flush the trans over 75k miles and never have changed the fluid you are playing with FIRE!!!

Nissan is willing most of the time to do a free 100 pt inspection ask your local dealer and just use your head with the repairs.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Good info.....
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM

see about prjct buddy.. I know you do most of your stuff your self on your back, so you may want a good light and a mirror.
404: Joke Not Found
Old 08-09-2008, 06:50 AM

So is "flushing" with the machine at the nissan dealership bad? Im confrused. i dont understand why removing all fluid as they say they do and replacing it with brand new fluid in a young car (mine was at 30K when done) is bad. i do understand why not in a higher mileage car.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good write up Winter. We appreciate it. Your findings confirm what has shown up in my (very unscientific poll) http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-problems.html Mine failed last year with symptom #1.

1) slip from 1-2 and then hard bang.

If I would have known I would have changed my AT fluid earlier for sure. I'm coming up on 10k since mine was replaced last December I may get mine drained and filled pretty soon. I'm still disappointed the tranny cooler from Stillen http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA doesn't work on 2005+ Maximas/heatsink type coolers.

Here is another thread where they explored added a cooler in depth and it didn't seem to fly.
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...5-speed-2.html

Last edited by Apollos2; 08-09-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 AM

404: Joke Not Found
what I meant is I know you do most of your own work.... you will be able to do it with a good light and mirror.. lol sorry there was no joke there

So is "flushing" with the machine at the nissan dealership bad? Im confrused. i dont understand why removing all fluid as they say they do and replacing it with brand new fluid in a young car (mine was at 30K when done) is bad. i do understand why not in a higher mileage car.
flushing is not typically bad unless the car has higher mileage or the dealers machine is a "power" flush machine like by BG or Bilstein. There are gravity flush machines that are much more gentle. NOT all Nissan dealers have the same equipment. Also don't be duped with the dealer saying they are flushing your trans... our cars need special attachments to be able to do the flush since it has to be done at the lines.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 AM

Im confused as to what is done, a drain refill is exactly that a flush is being hooked up to a machine and and essentially pulling all the old fluid out and replacing with new fluid.

I've heard flushing is bad because of the increased pressure it puts on the internals, more pressure then the internals would see in normal driving, WINTER stated that

Why a flush is bad on higher mileage cars is because trans fluid, with added miles gets burnt and start to coat the inside of the trans, now trans fluid is like soap, highly detergent like and a flush will wash out the layer of grime built up on the inside of the trans and you will develop leaks.

Drain and refill is suppose to be less dramatic on the trans, it only replaces 1/3 of the fluid, like WINTER said you get about 3.5 quarts out and the trans holds 8-10

I like the old school way of thinking when it comes to cars, even BMW lifetime fluid has been shown to not last, oil/fluid is the life of the car simple as that.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Chris,

A very helpful thread. Thanks for willing to help.

Any advice for CVT? How are the complaints on the CVT, not just from Maxima owners but from any Nissan owner?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Im confused as to what is done, a drain refill is exactly that a flush is being hooked up to a machine and and essentially pulling all the old fluid out and replacing with new fluid.

I've heard flushing is bad because of the increased pressure it puts on the internals, more pressure then the internals would see in normal driving, WINTER stated that

Why a flush is bad on higher mileage cars is because trans fluid, with added miles gets burnt and start to coat the inside of the trans, now trans fluid is like soap, highly detergent like and a flush will wash out the layer of grime built up on the inside of the trans and you will develop leaks.

Drain and refill is suppose to be less dramatic on the trans, it only replaces 1/3 of the fluid, like WINTER said you get about 3.5 quarts out and the trans holds 8-10

I like the old school way of thinking when it comes to cars, even BMW lifetime fluid has been shown to not last, oil/fluid is the life of the car simple as that.
As stated , I do understand why not to in a higher mileage car, but I find it hard to believe that using their machine to truly flush the transmission puts more strain on the internals than driving it under normal load. thats quite some pressure. 12 quarts was replaced on mine as stated on the specs when refilling a tranny 5AT. i believe I was charged for 15 though. Why would Nissan offer this service if its detrimental to the parts? not trying to sound like a douche but please explain.

Quick Reply: Bad transmission? heres what I have noticed