6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Little brother is having power surge issues when slowing to a stop (auto tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Little brother is having power surge issues when slowing to a stop (auto tranny)

Unfortunately, I'm way in NC and my bother's car is in NYC so I couldn't experience what's going on for myself but I'll tell you guys what he relayed to me:

He says when he's slowing to stop the car, it feels like it wants to take off again. Very simple. The car shifts properly when accelerating.

He takes the car to the dealership and as usual, those ****** are useless. The tell him he needs a new transmission, $3000. He left as I would but he called me to give me the update.

They didn't find any codes. Well since they didn't find a code, the don't see that there is a problem.

Guys, have any of you had this problem my little bro is speaking of. I did some searches but didn't see what I was looking for.

I think the TQ converter could be acting funny IMO.

Last edited by deezo; 10-03-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 AM

first off how many miles on the car? and what year is it and is it the 4speed tranny or 5speed speed Also did the tech drive the car and experience this issue his self and then tell you that's normal because my car does not such thing

Last edited by Lovemycar; 10-03-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Ok great service department, we can't figure out whats wrong so lets replace the most expensive part and hope that it fixes problem. Problem is they make more money replacing parts then diagnosing the real issue. Anyhow to the issue... How's the car idling? Ahow's the voltage seem? (lights seem dim, radio low etc) You saying the car shifts fine only when coming to a stop this happens? more so is this only happening when car is cold or when he slams on the brakes or all the time? Any mods? how many miles on the car? and when was the last time transmission fluid changed? I know a lot of questions but they will help to find solution.

My thoughts (total hunch cause don't have much info), sounds like idle issue ask your bro to keep an eye on his RPM gauge as he is coming to a stop... seems like as he is coming to stop transmission is holding engaged RPM's drop as car is not being fueled much, car threatens to stall and computer thus gives more fuel to compensate. Could in fact be a trans problem (torque converter etc), could be a fuel mixture problem, ie the car is running lean due to dirty MAF/air cleaner/ CAI or header or could even have current issue, meaning alternator maybe at fault. Basically need more info. I would check all the simple/free stuff like clean battery terminals/good battery, check for clean air filter and that all tubes are well connected (ie no vacuum leaks) that all grounds are clean and well connected. oh one more question this just happened out of the blue or after any recent service/accident etc?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 AM

The car is surging, i recently had this issue as well as a feeling a kick from the car when i drove it, it all started when my motor mounts broke, once i fixed that the kicking stopped, then i took it to the dealer and he changed my valve body and now i dont have the surging problem anymore, ask a different dealer about the valve body and if its working fine.