6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

balancing issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM

balancing issue??

I just got a set of new Yoko W4S installed last week, also had an alignment done as well. However, my steering wheel still shakes when I am on some roads..and sometimes it don't..Do I need to go back to the dealership and have them re-balance my tires??

Thanks guys!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 AM

If it's free or if it bothers you, then yes. The Maxima is known to have alignment and balancing issues.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:57 AM

My rotors were warped and didn't notice until I put on 245/45 18 tires. My car behaved the exact same way. Could be possible in your case as well.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:28 AM

The only reason you would feel your rotors is while BRAKING. There's a difference between a brake shimmy and a regular driving shimmy.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 AM

I purchased a brand new set of tires from Discount Tires in Houston last year. Since then I have been to three Nissan dealerships in Houston, two Sears Auto Centers in two different states, and six different locations of Discount Tires for the balancing of my tires. The only one that properly balanced my tires was one of the Nissan dealerships in Houston, Sterling McCall Nissan.

I do a lot of driving so the steering wheel shimmying does bother me. My advice would be to keep trying until you find a place that can balance your tires to your satisfaction. Also, keep in mind that this car is known for problems like this fresh from the manufacturing line.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by shanana
I purchased a brand new set of tires from Discount Tires in Houston last year. Since then I have been to three Nissan dealerships in Houston, two Sears Auto Centers in two different states, and six different locations of Discount Tires for the balancing of my tires. The only one that properly balanced my tires was one of the Nissan dealerships in Houston, Sterling McCall Nissan.

I do a lot of driving so the steering wheel shimmying does bother me. My advice would be to keep trying until you find a place that can balance your tires to your satisfaction. Also, keep in mind that this car is known for problems like this fresh from the manufacturing line.
Fresh from the assembly line...i totally agree...its sad, but true.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 AM

had the same problem after I got the yokohama advan s4 mounted. Shimmy ever since. Now at 8k miles with the new tires on. At 3k miles got a tire rotation which stopped the shimmy. I also changed a wheel because the dealership blamed that for the shimmy. Just got the tires rotated and the shimmy is back between 50-65mph. The worst thing is that the new wheel is in the front, which means the shimmy was not really because of the wheel being bent. So there you go. After innumerable balancing including road force/match balances, new wheel and pecise tire pressure I still have the shimmy.

Last edited by rick sambora; 10-25-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM

the problem may be the tech doing a static vs dynamic balance. static does a side to side balance and dynamic does side to side and top to bottom. ask them about it when you go to get them rebalanced. they should have a fairly up to date balancer if its a dealer.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:18 PM

I have these tires on my car and luv them, from day 1 they where smooth, no balance problems, but my brakes where shot so even if I had unusual vibrations I would have never known, I drove around for 7k before the new brakes went on.

Im coming up on 14k with these tires and sometimes I notice a slight vibration/road feel in the steering wheels but it's not always their, it may have to do with the colder temps, the tires take longer to warm up, especially if you don't drive far, other then that no complaints

Last edited by STARR; 10-26-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by aogburn
I just got a set of new Yoko W4S installed last week, also had an alignment done as well. However, my steering wheel still shakes when I am on some roads..and sometimes it don't..Do I need to go back to the dealership and have them re-balance my tires??

Thanks guys!
When I 1st got my tires, I realized how much of the shaking was due to the brake rotors, what speeds are you experiencing shaking, I just took my car for a drive and what I feel in the wheel is more like road feel, not vibrating or shaking.

I also think the cold weather effects the tires slightly, but soon as they warm up they are good