6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima Catalyctic converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 AM

Maxima Catalyctic converters

Good morning Guys
can you tell me how many catalyctic converters are on a stock 2006 maxima? and where are they located?
thanks in advace
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 AM

2 in exhaust manifolds (pre cats) and 1 gigantor on the ypipe (visible)
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Thank you, it was very helpfull.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
2 in exhaust manifolds (pre cats) and 1 gigantor on the ypipe (visible)
I just put on some Magnaflows 14805's on my max, but it barely has a howl because of the resgnator. I want to get the cattman b-pipe, but i still wanna be legal. Is there a smaller resignator i get that will give me that louder growl i'm looking for?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM

I had hollowed out the lower on mine,...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
I had hollowed out the lower on mine,...
hey 2theMax, what do you mean you hollowed it out? You kept the resignator but removed something from it?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had my stock Y-pipe cat bored out too. (drill with extension bit cleaned it out like rotor rooter). My recommend. Don't waste your time or money. It made zero difference in sound or power. You want a real difference? Go with the a after market Y pipe and catback system.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
I had my stock Y-pipe cat bored out too. (drill with extension bit cleaned it out like rotor rooter). My recommend. Don't waste your time or money. It made zero difference in sound or power. You want a real difference? Go with the a after market Y pipe and catback system.
Hey Apollos, i know any car from i think 2002 does not do the emissions test from the tail pipe anymore, so even if i get rid of the resignator i'll still pass. But my car is still under warranty and don't want the stealership saying crap. I was thinking of getting the cattman b-pipe, but would the stealership try to mess with me if they find out i took out the resignator?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Well if you get rid of the resonator that shouldn't affect your emissions either way. It will affect the sound, tone and volume. Help me understand, is it the B pipe that has the resonator? Does the Cattman B pipe include it's own resonator? I don't think you want to go without some sort of resonator because it would be too loud.

As far as the dealership goes, I don't see why they would care.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Well if you get rid of the resonator that shouldn't affect your emissions either way. It will affect the sound, tone and volume. Help me understand, is it the B pipe that has the resonator? Does the Cattman B pipe include it's own resonator? I don't think you want to go without some sort of resonator because it would be too loud.

As far as the dealership goes, I don't see why they would care.
Apollos, thanks for the advice so far. The b-pipe i was thinking of getting from Cattman does have a smaller resonator. Take a look at the 2 pics Brian from Cattman sent me. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Okay, I see. Yeah that should do the trick. You will pretty much have a whole catback system. I am curious if the pipe sizes will match up from the double end of the B-pipe to you stock muffler pipes, but a small adapter should take care of that easily. I think it will sound really good. Ultimately if you are looking for some more power too, then upgrade your y-pipe and you will be set. post up if you have any more questions, good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Okay, I see. Yeah that should do the trick. You will pretty much have a whole catback system. I am curious if the pipe sizes will match up from the double end of the B-pipe to you stock muffler pipes, but a small adapter should take care of that easily. I think it will sound really good. Ultimately if you are looking for some more power too, then upgrade your y-pipe and you will be set. post up if you have any more questions, good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Hey i appreciate the advice man. I emailed Brian from Cattman about pricing. If the price is right i might be getting it this week.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Well let me tell you from experience removing the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe is a bad idea. Sure you will get the growl that you are looking for but you will sacrifice interior noise which will get really loud. I didn't last a whole week because it bothered me so much that I started to get headaches espcially in city driving. I just had the dude reattach the original. Oh yeah talk about enormous, that bad boy is 3ft long!!!! I think I will get a smaller one attached in the future.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gollum67
Well let me tell you from experience removing the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe is a bad idea. Sure you will get the growl that you are looking for but you will sacrifice interior noise which will get really loud. I didn't last a whole week because it bothered me so much that I started to get headaches espcially in city driving. I just had the dude reattach the original. Oh yeah talk about enormous, that bad boy is 3ft long!!!! I think I will get a smaller one attached in the future.

What do you think about the resonator on the cattman b-pipe? Do you think that would be too loud too? Here are some pics:

Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 AM

I'm still researching about this mod. I think the main difference between our stock pipes and the Cattman b-pipe is that damn resonator. My first choice was to remove the resonator (bad move), second is to replace the resonator with a smaller one. The Magnaflow 10436 is the one that I'm considering. I think this will work well for me. The size looks similar to the Cattman's. I think it's less than $70 on Amazon.

Another options is replacing the y-pipe. Raceline just came out with a new one. They eliminated one of the three cats on their pipe giving you 13hp gain and 14lbs. of torque according to the dyno. If you want marked increase performance, I think this is the way to go.

Decisions,Decisions,Decisions. I'm still in the learning process, hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gollum67
I'm still researching about this mod. I think the main difference between our stock pipes and the Cattman b-pipe is that damn resonator. My first choice was to remove the resonator (bad move), second is to replace the resonator with a smaller one. The Magnaflow 10436 is the one that I'm considering. I think this will work well for me. The size looks similar to the Cattman's. I think it's less than $70 on Amazon.

Another options is replacing the y-pipe. Raceline just came out with a new one. They eliminated one of the three cats on their pipe giving you 13hp gain and 14lbs. of torque according to the dyno. If you want marked increase performance, I think this is the way to go.

Decisions,Decisions,Decisions. I'm still in the learning process, hope this helps.

I hear ya man... I'm in IT and a lot of this is not native to me. My brother is a master mechanic, but sorry to say that gasoline doesn't run in my blood .

Dude if you do get it please let me know how it works, because the cattman b-pipe is gonna run me $379 if i can save a few bucks and do it this way then that would mean a lot to my striking pockets, LoL... Post some audio clips if you do install this. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
I hear ya man... I'm in IT and a lot of this is not native to me. My brother is a master mechanic, but sorry to say that gasoline doesn't run in my blood .

Dude if you do get it please let me know how it works, because the cattman b-pipe is gonna run me $379 if i can save a few bucks and do it this way then that would mean a lot to my striking pockets, LoL... Post some audio clips if you do install this. Thanks.
Talk to PrjctMax... he is selling both a b pipe and y pipe from cattman...

I have a cattman y on mine and its sounds great w/ my dual mags... very gains too!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
I just put on some Magnaflows 14805's on my max, but it barely has a howl because of the resgnator. I want to get the cattman b-pipe, but i still wanna be legal. Is there a smaller resignator i get that will give me that louder growl i'm looking for?
Don't rush on removing it. I had gotten a ticket for loud exhaust already and was able to fight it only because it was stock and the dealer provided a statement that it was tested to spec.

A friend of mine just got a ticket for the same reason. You have to go to court, you can't just pay it and the fines are very steep.

Last edited by xoomer.com; 11-04-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
Talk to PrjctMax... he is selling both a b pipe and y pipe from cattman...

I have a cattman y on mine and its sounds great w/ my dual mags... very gains too!

you got a audio or video clip of the way yours sound?