6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

changing brake rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM

changing brake rotors/pads

Hi there!

I just received my rotors and pads ordered from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drill...Q5fAccessories

it will be the 1st time i get to change by brakes by myself, I have read arround and Youtube some DIY but im just requesting some tips
Eg; Tools / acessories needed for the installation (specific for our 6th genn)

help would be apprecitated

thanks guys
Old 11-13-2008, 05:10 PM

You in area of snow/rust? If so it can be a difficult one to get those rotors off.

I just got an extra long nut and bolt to push mine off...
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM

yes indeed .. we do have lot`s of snow .. but it`s fine at this time of the year ... so it may be harder to smack the rotor off ... but tool wise ... any special stuff ? ... just a clamps ? jack ? wrench ? ... do i need grease ?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM

get a bottle of brake degreaser/cleaner. spray off the excess grease thats left on the rotors (front/back) ... to ensure good grip. only rotors. not brakes. spray them all around.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

I did mine myself and it was not as easy as i thought it would be...

tools wise... i would say the Norm... plus a breaker bar.. or something w/ leverage ... Also a 2nd set of hands is always good..

Some Rust off or other spray to get those bolts loose... and PATIENCE!!!

Always check ... double check... triple check ...

Gl !
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 PM

def get rust off spray and breaker bar.

when installing the rotors on my car my boi and i had a bit*h of a time tryin to get some bolts off

but just a suggestion bro. get the stainless steel brake lines. i noticed a HUGE difference in braking with them.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
def get rust off spray and breaker bar.

when installing the rotors on my car my boi and i had a bit*h of a time tryin to get some bolts off

but just a suggestion bro. get the stainless steel brake lines. i noticed a HUGE difference in braking with them.
+1 on the lines... wish i would have done it!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 AM

impact wrench makes life so much easier. Lines are very easy to do and worth it. Change your calipers to an upgrade and ooo lala. My rotors came off pretty easy. Also would recommend a C clamp.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

Goto auto parts store. buy haynes manual. follow instructions. change your brakes.

5 minutes jack up car remove wheels
20 minutes per side assuming you get some tough bolts otherwise 10 minutes
5 minutes to put wheels back on and lower
50 minutes.

This manual will also answer any questions you may have doing any other work on your car.

What color are you going the have them painted?
Why would there be grease on the rotors/brakes? that's only possible if his axel is split open throwing grease around. which means he has other problems. all the op should find is normal brake dust...nothing more.
To get the rotor off just whack it with a hammer it's not like you're going to use em again.

Also, for people saying doing brakes is hard it's a piece of cake considering any other 'real work' you can do on a car. Don't be scurred by them. brakes are the tip of the iceberg so to speak, if doing a break job on a maxima is hard just give up doing any other mods yourself. i'm not trying to call you guys out who said it was hard but honestly...if you think this is hard try a suspension, clutch, exhaust, tranny swap, engine swap. now those can be a *****.

but breaks? it should take an hour at most from start to finish to do your front brakes. faster if you know what you are doing, actually work and don't take your time putting about.

good luck.

edit #1:
It's physically impossible for SS lines to make you stop better/faster guys.

The reason people feel a huge difference when they install their SS lines is because they just bleed their brakes PERIOD. Also, you need to do this every 2-3 years regardless. the only way the SS could reduce stopping distance is if the rubber line was heating up and expanding, which is basically impossible unless you're doing crazy hard braking over and over and over again. SS lines are for safety and reliability(debris will not rip a SS line as easily as it would a rubber line for instance) when you are pushing your brakes to the edge you want SS lines for the fact the rubber will not expand and pop. Thats it end of story. For the 99% of us that don't autoX your regular OEM lines will be JUST FINE. It's simple marketing gimmick/bull****. Save your $100 bucks for a mod that actually does something.

Don't believe me?
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...teel_Q&A.shtml
So why is that better than the OEM rubber design?
Stainless Steel lines provide a number of benefits as compared to their OEM rubber over molded counterparts.
1. The SS braid provides superior protection from flying roadway debris.
2. The SS braid and Teflon hose reduce expansion during pressurization.
3. They provide the race car look.

Edit #2: Op follow this to bed in your brakes correctly. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

g'luck again!

Last edited by Torgus; 11-14-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks guys!

once again the ORG helps me out,

so ill defenatly purchase some brake cleaner spray ( new rotors are greasy a bit ...i think it`s the oil from the machining) ill also get a c clamp to compress the piston, and some wd-40 cuz im sure there is some rust in there us with our crazy winters :S

this being said i should be able to do it this sunday .. hopefully if the weather wants me to heh

rotors i purchased are red - it took 2 days to get to my door ( the seller is in Ontario) i do find that the paint quality if Very cheap :S ... i can scratch it off with my nails ... im about to fire off an angry e-mail to the seller and see what he says :P...

ill keep you guys posted on my developpement - as far for the ss lines ... im kinda tight on the cash flow so it will wait for now but thanks for the heads up!

if i have enough time ill try to do a diy with pics and post it up .. im sure it will be usefull for others!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

i wouldn't worry about the SS lines as i outlined above it's basically all marketing BS.
good luck on the install.
and you can always repaint them red yourself you know...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
So why is that better than the OEM rubber design?
Stainless Steel lines provide a number of benefits as compared to their OEM rubber over molded counterparts.
1. The SS braid provides superior protection from flying roadway debris.
2. The SS braid and Teflon hose reduce expansion during pressurization.
3. They provide the race car look

#2 = more efficient transfer of energy which equates to better response which directly correlates to better braking. It isn't much but it's there
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM

yeah i know, ive painted my calipers last summer, i guess i could use the same kind of paint (i used Duplicolor stuff .. it went pretty well and still has it`s shinny gloss)

but for now i think ill just put these on ( my brakes are very close to be Done) i may paint them once summer comes back arround :P

IMO i think SS lines may be a good upgrade for agressive braking useage, but for my daily useage i dont think it`s needed ...
Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Feldman
#2 = more efficient transfer of energy which equates to better response which directly correlates to better braking. It isn't much but it's there
no it doesn't = better braking. period. never will never can be.

The ONLY situation it helps with is if you rubber lines are expanding because of heat which is highly unlikely, i repeat HIGHLY unlikely, regardless it will only happen in AutoX situations, Never under normal driving. for 99% of the people on this forum it's useless. period. it's marketing BS. if you want better pedal response adjust your pedals.

read the white papers.

i'm not trying to be a jerk, i have them installed myself. i'm trying to save people money on a mod that will not help them. but honestly they are basically worthless 99% of the time. ONLY in autoX will you ever have the chance of the SS lines helping you in regards to the rubber lines expaning. even then it's very unlikely.

EOD