6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Newbie- Few Questions Re My 06 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Newbie- Few Questions Re My 06 Maxima

Hi All
I recently purchased a 06 Max Se. So far I love the car. As I familarize myself with it I have few questions that may sound dumb to some but will non the less educate me:
1. I recently put on snows on may car (Live in TO) and I notices that there are no spindle dust caps on front or rear wheels. I tried searching on here for info with no luck. The dealership tells me that the car does not have any??? I don't like the fact that the spindle, bolt and cotter pin are exposed to snow, salt, grim etccc = rust. Can any body help? Does the 06 Max not have emm????
2. I recently burnt out my right side fog light. Before I attempt to replace myself your help and a walk thru would be great?
3. On dash/counsel 12v Dc cig lighter. When I bought car (resale) was missing also passenger side compartment... Dealer tells me its just a plastic cap on counsel?? Is it a cig lighter.. Not sure what to order to...New car to me I want the cousel complete... Can you clarify?
4. You opions on the moon roof wind visor. Thinking about getting one just not sure if the car will look crapy after its on? Has any one installed one and whats involed?
5. I heard these cars are relaible. Since you guys are the pros, your thoughts would be valued very much!!!

Well thats it for now but I am sure I will have more in future...Thanks for taking time to read this post and share your thoughts with this newbie!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:50 AM

Well, since you are Canadian, I'll fire off my view about your questions:

1. Buy hub caps if you do not like the way the wheels look with just winter rims. I think you will be just waiting your money but that is your best option.

2. Dude, starting getting at you car...it is not rocket science. Down load the repair manual and that will give you the directions you need.

3. Don't waste your money on a lighter...get a docking station for your MP3 player.

4. If you aren't planning on using you sunroof much at highway speed, then don't get the wind visor...I have never liked them. If you are going to use the sunroof at highway speed, then you might want it but it is still debatable whether it will really serve any function.....they look like crap and the wear/cut into your paint job, so be prepared to lay down some extra wax around that area to help protect your paint.

5. Any car is pretty mcuh relaiable.....who know how yours' was treated is the real question. On that note, change your fluids-oil, coolant and tranny-and you should be fine. Check to see when they have been changed last. Oil probably has been changed but I doubt your coolant and tranny fluid has been...change it now if it has not been changed.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM

1) the stock rims does have center caps. check with another dealer.

2) replacing any bulbs in the headlight assembly can be a tad difficult. dropping the bumper would make things A LOT easier to get to the bulb. there's a writeup on here somewhere.

3) can you clarify? is it missing the compartment door on the passenger side footwell area?

4) this is more of a personal preference if it 'looks good' or not. it'll definately reduce wind noise though.

5) reliable for the most part. the engine might experience some timing chain issues though.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Baironhorse
Hi All
I recently purchased a 06 Max Se. So far I love the car. As I familarize myself with it I have few questions that may sound dumb to some but will non the less educate me:
1. I recently put on snows on may car (Live in TO) and I notices that there are no spindle dust caps on front or rear wheels. I tried searching on here for info with no luck. The dealership tells me that the car does not have any??? I don't like the fact that the spindle, bolt and cotter pin are exposed to snow, salt, grim etccc = rust. Can any body help? Does the 06 Max not have emm????

There are no dust caps that go over the spindle, but if you live in T-Dot and want a nice set of rims, I have the origional SL rims for sale. PM if you want to know more.

2. I recently burnt out my right side fog light. Before I attempt to replace myself your help and a walk thru would be great?
its easy, just remove the dust cap over the bulb, its and H3 type bulb and you need to pop the little metal tab to remove the bulb. Once you remove it it comes out easily and is only attached by one wire, the metal tab is the ground the wire is the hot side of the circuit.

3. On dash/counsel 12v Dc cig lighter. When I bought car (resale) was missing also passenger side compartment... Dealer tells me its just a plastic cap on counsel?? Is it a cig lighter.. Not sure what to order to...New car to me I want the cousel complete... Can you clarify?
yes dealer is correct, its just a small little plastic cap that say 12V on it, and its spelled console .

4. You opions on the moon roof wind visor. Thinking about getting one just not sure if the car will look crapy after its on? Has any one installed one and whats involed?

UUUUUGLY, just like window visiors. Ruins the look of the car, i have a hood deflector which is ugly still but it serves a function, keeps the bugs off the windshield and the rock chips off the hood.

5. I heard these cars are relaible. Since you guys are the pros, your thoughts would be valued very much!!!

NOT AT ALL, i have a 50 page book of warranty repairs, but mine was an 2005 a LA LEMON, its fine now, but initially was a total junk heap.

Well thats it for now but I am sure I will have more in future...Thanks for taking time to read this post and share your thoughts with this newbie!
Welcome to the .org bro, nice to have a Canadian T-dot boy around.

Kamski
Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM
*moderator*

I will comment on #2:
Repair manual won't help
No you do not need to drop the bumper for fogs, headlight yes fogs no.
And what kamski said once you get to the bulb but to get there:
This info is in the stickies:
For the driver's side you need to remove the intake or the stock air filter. This will give you access to the bulb. For the passenger's side, remove the fluid reservoir (there's 2 10mm bolts holding it in place). After that you'll need to remove the fill tube for the windshield washer fluid. You can do this by twisting it counter clockwise. After that you should have access to the bulbs.
It is a tight fit and a pin in the butt, but it can be done.

Welcome aboard...
Old 11-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for your help.... regrding the caps I don't really care about the lok of steel wheels since they are only snow tires...I am more concerned about protecting the sindle nut and pin from outside debry.......As far as the car is concerned it has approx 72k klm (about 45k miles) and it runs great..I pleased with it! Again thanks your opinions help!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 PM

I also just bought a used 05 and wanted to keep it stock for the most part, I was toying with the idea of just putting a K&N filter in my air box, and cutting the ram air opening up for more flow. IS THAT A DUMB IDEA?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by PaulyFingaz
I also just bought a used 05 and wanted to keep it stock for the most part, I was toying with the idea of just putting a K&N filter in my air box, and cutting the ram air opening up for more flow. IS THAT A DUMB IDEA?
All u have to do is remove the lower resonator box, and BOOM you have a CAI.

(thats the thing that hides behind the drivers side turn lamp.)

Kamski
Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks alot KAMSKI! It took a little elbow grease but I removed the lower box and put in the filter, sounds good! Improved the performance too! How many HP do you think that adds? 1-3? Do you have any other small improvements that add a little umph?

Last edited by PaulyFingaz; 11-16-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
.org extraordinaire

Thanks alot KAMSKI! It took a little elbow grease but I removed the lower box and put in the filter, sounds good! Improved the performance too! How many HP do you think that adds? 1-3hp Do you have any other small improvements that add a little umph?
Yes, you can do the y-pipe mod.

1) buy a new y-pipe from Racingline.com
2) have a shop cut out your 3way cat from Y-pipe and weld in a straight tube..... this is probably good for 10hp and should cost you about $50 at a local muffler shop.

3) set your tires to 36PSI cold up front, 34PSI cold in the back. Car should feel more responsive, you will be well within tire specs and save a $$ on gas. The 32PSI is a generalist rating from Nissan to provide the most comfortable ride at the lowest pressure.

Last edited by kamski; 11-16-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks again, your saying just removing the cat and replacing it with a straight pipe will add 10hp, or doing that along with the purchase of a Y pipe adds 10hp? I'll let you know how that works out for me......

Last edited by PaulyFingaz; 11-16-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:56 PM
.org extraordinaire

Thanks again, your saying just removing the cat and replacing it with a straight pipe will add 10hp, or doing that along with the purchase of a Y pipe adds 10hp? I'll let you know how that works out for me......

no bro its one or the other, if u remove the 3rd cat and the bend before it you dont need to buy a y-pipe. This is the cheap way.

But..... if you ever want to go back to stock, you will need to buy a new OEM y-pipe which is like $800 from the dealership. I would say just pick up a Racingline y-pipe in case you ever want to go back to stock.

We dynoed the Racingline y-pipe at like 14hp or something like that. Joe can chime in here anytime.

Kamski
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM

thanks again!!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Electronics, (plugs,wires,etc.)

Are there a good set of wires, plugs, or other electronic upgrades that could slightly help performance?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 AM
.org extraordinaire

Are there a good set of wires, plugs, or other electronic upgrades that could slightly help performance?
No. Save your $ for a nice CAI and Y-pipe.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kamski
No. Save your $ for a nice CAI and Y-pipe.
i agree.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
i agree.

i agree with both these guys...save your $$$
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 AM

I have a question about 05 max. When I hit the unlock button on my keypad, the doors unlike and lock right back. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Maybe try and turn your auto lock timer off in your settings screen.. Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:19 PM

Yes, you can do the y-pipe mod.

1) buy a new y-pipe from Racingline.com
Newb here, is it this that you're talking about? http://www.racinglineperformance.com...roducts_id=155
Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
Newb here, is it this that you're talking about? http://www.racinglineperformance.com...roducts_id=155
Correct. That is the one that fits.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Baironhorse
Hi All
I recently purchased a 06 Max Se. So far I love the car.
Quick tangent though, how much did you pay for your 2006? I am trying to gauge a good market price for mine...thinking about selling and buying an new one.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 PM

There is a thread that poles what people paid... I paid 15,888 for my 05 w/27,000 miles, 16,888 with tax and tags, $19,888 with extended warrenty.

Question about CAI, and Y -Pipe.. Would they void your warrenty???
Old 12-07-2008, 07:46 AM

All u have to do is remove the lower resonator box, and BOOM you have a CAI.

(thats the thing that hides behind the drivers side turn lamp.)

Kamski
When I removed my box The lowest bolt that holds it in, I put it back in, but I was wondering if that was supporting anything else. I have a squeek noise coming from that area, I feel it may be the strut. But I could use some reassurance that it's not related to removing the lower res. box..
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Still looking for a reply to my last reply, but i have another question for all, anyone paint or replace there Plastic chrome strip that runs up both sides of the windshield and roof. they just dont look the best.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM

congrats and let me tell you u have a nice car