6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Battery keeps dying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 AM

Battery keeps dying?

So as many of you know, I put in my new HID bulbs, and my Halogen fogs the other day..The halogen fogs are 80 watt from what I believe, I think stock were 55 watt..Anyhow, I was at the gas station last night, so I turned of the engine and let the music and lights stay on...I was there for no more then 10 minutes pumping guess..

Get back into the car, and booom, the car just keeps making this loud annoying clicking noise like no other..So my friend comes and jumps me..I go to my other friends to hang, car was sitting for a hour atleast..Go outside it fires right up...

Go outside today morning, well right now, and the s#!+ wont turn on..Same thing that happened last night...

Could my lights be causing this, or do I need a new battery...If its the battery, am I covered through Nissan? I have 20k miles, and I have an 07.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 AM

Battery

Originally Posted by blackmax07
So as many of you know, I put in my new HID bulbs, and my Halogen fogs the other day..The halogen fogs are 80 watt from what I believe, I think stock were 55 watt..Anyhow, I was at the gas station last night, so I turned of the engine and let the music and lights stay on...I was there for no more then 10 minutes pumping guess..

Get back into the car, and booom, the car just keeps making this loud annoying clicking noise like no other..So my friend comes and jumps me..I go to my other friends to hang, car was sitting for a hour atleast..Go outside it fires right up...

Go outside today morning, well right now, and the s#!+ wont turn on..Same thing that happened last night...

Could my lights be causing this, or do I need a new battery...If its the battery, am I covered through Nissan? I have 20k miles, and I have an 07.
If you do have a weak/ defective battery, your lights will definatly run it down if they are left on. Once a battery gets lowered below a certain point, it may charge up, but your altinator has to work so hard to do so you might end up burning out that as well.
Don't ever look your altinator failing as a possibillity as well. Find someone with a batter charger or a tester and see what the battery's charge is.
Also, a battery is pretty much useless when lowered below that certain point, it may never keep it's charge.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 AM

Change your battery...these maximas are notorious for batteries dieing with no warning at all. If you have an 07, I doubt your alternator is failing already, but easy check at an auto parts store. If you have a system, upgrade your battery.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Just had to change the battery on my '07 at 28 mos/29k miles. It was just about an instantaneous drop dead with very little warning.

The OE battery is 100% covered for the first 24 mos and prorated after that:
  • 0-24mo > Customer pays 0%
  • 25-32mo > Customer pays 25%
  • 33-50mo > Customer pays 50%
  • 51-84mo > Customer pays 75%
(Source: Nissan 2007 Warranty Information Booklet: http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/warranty/2007_Wrnty.pdf)

I needed it fast and just went to AutoZone and got a new DuraLast (600cca/84mo/24mo free replacement) installed in less than 15 minutes for about $80 (and the guy wouldn't take a tip for the fast service, either). I didn't have to waste a half day at the dealer, plus I'm sure the 25% I would have paid for an OE battery was based on some exhorbitant list price, so I bet the price difference wasn't that big.

If you are inside 24 months, it would still be worth going to the dealer if you have the time.

Last edited by jcalabria; 11-21-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Just had to change the battery on my '07 at 28 mos/29k miles. The barranty is 100% covered for the first 24 mos and prorated after that:
  • 0-24mo > Customer pays 0%
  • 25-32mo > Customer pays 25%
  • 33-50mo > Customer pays 50%
  • 51-84mo > Customer pays 75%
I needed one fast and just went to AutoZone and got a new one installed in less than 15 minutes for about $80. I didn't have to waste a half day at the dealer, plus I'm sure the 25% I would have had to pay for an OEM battery was based on some exhorbitant list price, so I bet the price difference wasn't that big.

If you are inside 24 months, it would still be worth going to the dealer if you have the time.
Great post/info!!!

Mine went out at 45k 2005
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 AM

if you go back to the dealer i suppose you are just going to get another OEM battery and will be back in the same position in another few years. probably not worth saving $30 if you ask me.

I had my battery die on me in the middle of wyoming in a massive snow storm when i pulled off and listened to the radio (relatively quietly) for 5-10 min. fortunately a few others had also pulled off and it was easy to get a jump (except for the blizzard). but there just as easily could have been nobody there to help and i could have been stranded.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Feldman
if you go back to the dealer i suppose you are just going to get another OEM battery and will be back in the same position in another few years. probably not worth saving $30 if you ask me.

I had my battery die on me in the middle of wyoming in a massive snow storm when i pulled off and listened to the radio (relatively quietly) for 5-10 min. fortunately a few others had also pulled off and it was easy to get a jump (except for the blizzard). but there just as easily could have been nobody there to help and i could have been stranded.
Lol why would u pull off the road and then turn your CAR OFF in a snow storm??? LOL...

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
Lol why would u pull off the road and then turn your CAR OFF in a snow storm??? LOL...

I know it seems stupid but i was like 10 miles out of the next town and the fuel light had been on for a bit and the road had been shut down because a semi had rolled and dumped its load all over the road. so i pulled off and was running the car on and off because i didnt know how long the road was going to be closed. I could handle a little bit of cold i just didn't want to run out of gas and have to get towed...

After i got jumped and back on the road i replaced my battery in the next town and filled up. About 25 more miles of driving and there was another rollover, so i said screw it and pulled off and slept in the back seat. When i woke up there was 10" of snow on my car and it was about 25º inside and out. I always keep a backpack with a wool blanket, an avalanche shovel, some climbing rope and jumper cables in my trunk and the blanket was a life saver in this case.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Feldman
I know it seems stupid but i was like 10 miles out of the next town and the fuel light had been on for a bit and the road had been shut down because a semi had rolled and dumped its load all over the road. so i pulled off and was running the car on and off because i didnt know how long the road was going to be closed. I could handle a little bit of cold i just didn't want to run out of gas and have to get towed...

After i got jumped and back on the road i replaced my battery in the next town and filled up. About 25 more miles of driving and there was another rollover, so i said screw it and pulled off and slept in the back seat. When i woke up there was 10" of snow on my car and it was about 25º inside and out. I always keep a backpack with a wool blanket, an avalanche shovel, some climbing rope and jumper cables in my trunk and the blanket was a life saver in this case.
Makes more sense now ...
Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM

i have a system in my car and if i crank it all the way up it will shut off in lik 1 min... the amp has more then enough power to power the sub could it be i need a better battery?? or maybe a capacitor? any thoughts
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by 08MaxCash
i have a system in my car and if i crank it all the way up it will shut off in lik 1 min... the amp has more then enough power to power the sub could it be i need a better battery?? or maybe a capacitor? any thoughts
Sounds more like the amp is shutting down to protect itself from thermal or current overload. Is the amp stuck in some tight spot with no ventilation? Are you running a 2 ohm sub when the amp is rated to drive 4 ohm min? Either of those conditions will produce the symptom you describe.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 PM

okk im running 4ohm 400w rms mtx amp to a 12" sony sub rated at 380w rms so i doubt its a lack of power. but i have my amp set up on the back of the seat.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:04 PM

almost 55k on my original battery, whats your typical driving pattern, I go up and down the highway everyday so the battery gets a good charge, obviously if you have a 5 minute drive then maybe the battery is not getting fully charged
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM

At last I found a thread to the answer to my request problem with my Max.

I washed and waxed my car and got ready to go out. Got into my car and it wouldn't start! Dead battery!

Next day, jump start and took to the dealership. Dealership charges me 50% on the price of battery. I just now found this thread and realize that they are not suppose to charge me a dime! My car is just 13 months old, hence under the 24months period, so, it should be free replacement!

Men, those guys just ripped me off. Trust me, tomorrow, I am calling NISSAN on their **s and then I want to speak to the Manager of that dealership! They will tell me why they do not follow the warranty from Nissan. And come to think of it, they said, Nissan warranty says 0 to 12 months free replacement. 24 to 48, customer pays 50%. And this is a lie! After finding this thread today, I just checked my warranty booklet. 0 to 24 months is free replacement! Now, where did I go wrong?

You guys are a big help. I want my 54.45 I paid back when I go to the dealership tomorrow! I will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
SmokinMaxSE

You say this happened after you installed hids. I was going to say a Bad Ground can drain the battery also. If the grounding harness is defective from the vehicle to the battery or any accessory thats not grounded correctly or higher than 12volts if I'm correct.

And of course a bad battery would not stand extra accessories. Oh and 80w will burn your wire harness over time. When that happens you won't be able to ever use any fog bulbs. You want a 55w bulb with a higher kelvin output rating like this..... http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 08-26-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Are you talking to me? I don't think so for my car is still purely stock.

I called dealership today. They are right about the warranty.

I called NISSANUSA and expressed my dissatisfaction with the battery. They advised me to file a claim against the dealership, which I did. The claim for a refund of my 54.45 I paid for the battery. NISSAN said, if I am dissatisfied with the lifespan of the battery for such a new car, they might approve my refund. But no guarantee. That I don't have anything to loose, but them saying NO to the refund, which they might even offer me something. Oh well, I submittesd the claim with the rep at NISSANUSA.

I will get a call from the claims department that works with dealership about warranty services. Say, they might get back to me by friday with what they have decided to do.

Will keep you guys posted. Hopefully something good comes out of this.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM

To make a long story short. NISSANUSA insist the terms of warranty is printed in the warranty booklet. Sorry about your expenditure sir, but the dealership did what they had to do according to warranty.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
To make a long story short. NISSANUSA insist the terms of warranty is printed in the warranty booklet. Sorry about your expenditure sir, but the dealership did what they had to do according to warranty.

I didn't pay attention to the date. My Bad.