6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Replacing HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Replacing HID headlights

I am a bit confused looking at a search for how to replace the HID headlights. Do I have to remove the front bumper and if so could someone provide me with the sticky for do this. Also, does anybody have recommendations on a replacment light. I like to go with PIAA D2S but they are expensive. This doesn't look as easy as I thought it would so if anybody has anything words to offer I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by lmuscella
I am a bit confused looking at a search for how to replace the HID headlights. Do I have to remove the front bumper and if so could someone provide me with the sticky for do this. Also, does anybody have recommendations on a replacment light. I like to go with PIAA D2S but they are expensive. This doesn't look as easy as I thought it would so if anybody has anything words to offer I would appreciate it. Thanks!
From the sticky:

The first step is to remove the grill. The plastic fasteners are easy to remove. If you have two small flat blade screwdrivers, like I didn't have, you put each one on one side of the center part and pull it up. Then grab it and pull the whole fastener out. Put the grill aside somewhere where you won't step on it.

Now its time to remove the whole front bumper cover. You will need a Phillips screwdriver and your small flat blades. Start on either side of the cover. First you need to have access to some of the fasteners and screws. These are hidden behind the fender well plastic covers. Remove the fasteners that hold the fender well plastic. Remove enough of them that you can pry it open to get your arm in the TIGHT space to remove the screws.

Once you get the fender well trim open, there are two screws that hold the cover on. They are hard to get at, but try. Unscrew the two screws. Then go underneath and see many fasteners that hold the underside plastic tray to the bumper cover. These were harder for me to remove. But I got them undone. Now do the other side.

The front cover drops down exposing the lights. These are held on by 10 mm screws. Find them and remove them.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=91

As for the D2S bulbs. Keep your OEM ones, cuz they have the best light intensity - 4300K! If you want more bluish color, go with Philips Color Match 5000K. For example, the Philips Ultionon's 6000K are garbage. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 AM
*moderator*

I bought McCullough bulbs, supposedly rated 2nd behind Sylvania...
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 AM

Those are a scam, btw. All china made crap. I read alot about that.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM

Great. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Those are a scam, btw. All china made crap. I read alot about that.

Which are a scam?