6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Popping sound...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Popping sound...

This has been going on for a while, so tonight I tried to investigate this noise coming from my 04 se auto. In park with the engine off if you move the car there is a very noticable popping sound coming from the area where the engine meets the transmission. It also makes this sound occasionally when going from park to R. While driving it also pops like a bad strut sporatically. I will note that it does not make the noise upon gear changes and it has always shifted very smoothly...always. If anyone has had this problem or if you think you may know what it is please respond. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 PM

My first thought was engine or trans. mount but I tried shaking both and they are strong as can be.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

I posted a similar thread a while back. To this day, I Have not been able to resolve this issue.
Though I can tell you that ONE of those noise is completely normal, the other two , I have no clue.

The popping sound that you hear when the car shifts weight after it is put in park...is completely normal. I asked a mechanic and he explained it to..makes sense, and my 06 sonata and TL actually does the same thing, I only noticed it after I investigated.

If it pops while you're driving it could be a number of things. I guess we would need to know when the pop occurs
During bumps? pot holes? turns?

I have a pop in the front area of the car that to this day 5 different shops and bran new struts, shocks, motor mount, several diagnosis, have not been able to cure.

It irritates the hell out of me so if you find this noise, please tell me because we seem to have the same problem.

I have changed, struts, strut mount (which included new bearing ring) ...soooo yeah, the back now is fine but I have this same clunk you are experiencing i believe.

I will repeat what others on here told me could be the source of noise
1. motor mount
2. strut - or strut mount (i.e.strut bearing)
3. linkage
4. Check the exhaust clamps and all the exhaust pieces that could be loose (they tightened those for me and the noise dissapeared for a while) but now it's back there again.

hope this helps
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MaxEx
My first thought was engine or trans. mount but I tried shaking both and they are strong as can be.
how many miles do you have? mounts are considered power train. I tried to visually inspect mine and I thought the front one was ok, but it was broken...doesn't hurt to have them check it especially if you pay nothing for it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Well, next time my car really has something wrong with it I'll have the dealer check it out. Until then, like my buddy said, "just turn the radio up." As far as when the noise occurs...totally sporadic other than always after park to reverse when cold. While driving it will pop maybe three to four times every 5 or 10 seconds. Also, I have no clue if this has something to do with it but a few times in the last couple months there will be a very large...bang or pop like I just bottomed out...except I'm just driving down the hwy. The only thing I could imagine this being is the springs possibly settling after my new struts were put on last month....btw the constant popping has been going on since august.