6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Uneven rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Uneven rear

Hi Guys.

I recently upgraded my suspension. I added progress springs, GR2 struts/shocks, rear progress sway bar, from and rear endlings from Racingline.

After installing I waited a week to let everything settle in and took it to get alligned. My car was sitting nice and riding good as well. Last weekend I replaced by brake pads. After I finsihed and droped the car down again I noticed that my rear driver side wheel is more tucked in than the rear passenger wheel. I havnt raised my car again to see what the heck is wrong, but has anyone ever experienced this? Also, I noticed when I turn (Swag) I hear a sligh thump noise in the front. Any reason why this could be happening?

And last but not least, can someone please exlplain what is the purpose of the endlinks being adjustable? I have them as short as possible. What would happen if I increase the lenght?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM

theres more weight on the driver side cuz ur on the driver seat. with no one on passenger seat the passenger side isnt gonna settle as quick. i say put ur car on a hill with the passanger side on it. or drive around with like 100 lb of weight sitting on ur passenger side of the car. lol
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM

go autocrossing. that will help set everything. as for the uneven back make sure tire pressure is good first before adjusting anything. Get a couple people to go for a ride around. make sure you evenly distribute the weight, and hit some good corners.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the quick response guys. My ride was sitting even and I had already put people in the back seat and went for a ride since I wanted to test if my rear tires would rub (Thankfully they didn't) and did hit some good corners at a parking lot. It all changed when I lifted my car to replace by brake pads and bring it down again. After I took it for a ride to test the new pads I noticed the rear driver side tire more tucked than the passenger side. It's been almost a week and nothing has changed and I have been taking hard corners (can't help it with the new suspension). The way I know is becuase I can easily slide my fingers between the tire and fender on the passenger rear rather the the rear driver side.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Make sure you put the accessory pieces for the shock on right on each side especially as it was lifted again and it not settling. If you have the hat or cylindrical brass piece on backwards you could get this issue. Make sure there is no leaking from the shocks as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Make sure you put the accessory pieces for the shock on right on each side especially as it was lifted again and it not settling. If you have the hat or cylindrical brass piece on backwards you could get this issue. Make sure there is no leaking from the shocks as well.
Cool. I did notice the boot at the bottom of the shock exposing the chrome center rod, not sure if I'm making sense. I did put every piece that came in the box (accessories). When you refer to the hat or brass piece, can you please describe a littler more? I will lift my car as soon as I get home to make sure I have that piece on right, just not sure what piece it is.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by myer84
Cool. I did notice the boot at the bottom of the shock exposing the chrome center rod, not sure if I'm making sense. I did put every piece that came in the box (accessories). When you refer to the hat or brass piece, can you please describe a littler more? I will lift my car as soon as I get home to make sure I have that piece on right, just not sure what piece it is.

Thanks
I have the same problem with mine except im still on OEM springs with GR-2's. I think the post above yours is correct. Make sure all the hardware that is used for the installation of the rear shocks is all facing the same way. I think i may have switched it up by mistake on mine.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks
The stock components that were on the car to begin with. It can be confusing unless you noted before removing them when you took the shock off. it is a hollow metal piece for the shock mount that is concave. hope that helps
Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM

I just lifted my car and noticed that both hats are facing the same way. The concave part is facing down.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Spring is seated correctly. Not much that could be wrong here...we will get it figured, pictures help.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Problem solved. After carefully looking at my whole setup I noticed first that the endlink was longer than the driver side. I remember when I added both endlinks I installed them both at its shortest setting. My guess is that when I took it to get aligned they extended the endlink or it might of adjusted on it's own, not sure, but I fixed that and also noticed my spring was not sitting right.

I will post pics this weekend. I need to wash my car

Thanks everyone for your time and help
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Are you sure both endlinks are still connected. The racingline endlinks have a prob where the bolts walk out on their own. Mine fell off after about 2months and Taz from Racingline had to send me replacement bolts and a second set of nuts because so that they wouldn't walk out again. Just give them a peep.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Problem solved. After carefully looking at my whole setup I noticed first that the endlink was longer than the driver side. I remember when I added both endlinks I installed them both at its shortest setting. My guess is that when I took it to get aligned they extended the endlink or it might of adjusted on it's own, not sure, but I fixed that and also noticed my spring was not sitting right.

I will post pics this weekend. I need to wash my car

Thanks everyone for your time and help
you beat me to the post...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I have two bolts connect on each side to avoid the bolts from slipping off. I just cant figure out why the endlink extended. Like I said before, not sure if the dumbass tech at Firestone extended the link or if it did it on its own. All bolts connecting to the sway bar and the other end connected to (not sure what you call it) were tight.

I'll keep an eye on them to see if they extend again