6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

y-pipe and custom b-pipe installed...pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 PM

y-pipe and custom b-pipe installed...pics

This weekend I installed my cattman y-pipe and cattman 22" resonator. Brian was a pleasure to deal with.

resonator...

catless y-pipe...

cattman vs. stock...

I had the resonator installed at a local muffler shop with 2.5" piping.

stock b-pipe...

b-pipe after cattman resonator and 2.5" piping to the split...

The car feels great and still sounds stock with the exception of the intake.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM

looks great...do you feel a difference with them???
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM

looks great.. did you use the stock mufflers?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM

How much did the setup cost you in parts and installation?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fiddy Yen
looks great.. did you use the stock mufflers?
I have the stock mufflers on.

The car feels like it pulls harder around 3k rpms and up.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM

That resonator is pretty small compared to the original. How is the drone?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by I VIK I
How much did the setup cost you in parts and installation?
I ordered the parts through Brian at Cattman Performance. He gives a 5% discount to .org members and is a great guy to deal with.

I installed the y-pipe myself and the piping and resonator install ran me $60. I've taken previous cars to the shop before so they gave me a good deal.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gollum67
That resonator is pretty small compared to the original. How is the drone?
I don't notice any drone. Any difference in the sound vs. the stock setup is drowned out by the intake.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Looking good ... i love my cattman setup.. just wish the tranny was not a pile of poo or i would stay w/ this ride.. anyway.. good luck and nice mods!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mrmurphz
I don't notice any drone. Any difference in the sound vs. the stock setup is drowned out by the intake.

Droan is usually generated by the mufflers, not the resonator. Looks like it came out nice. That Cattman Y is a nice piece!

Fast is your tranny giving you problems?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 AM

Very nice man good job...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Got Retrofit?

Set-up looks great.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Droan is usually generated by the mufflers, not the resonator. Looks like it came out nice. That Cattman Y is a nice piece!

Fast is your tranny giving you problems?
beat me to it +1.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM

I totally disagree.. with that statement that drone is caused by the mufflers vs resonator.

I have the nismo exhuast and i removed the nismo resonator due to excessive volume under load and highway drone at lower rpms. I swapped it out with the stock tank resonator and any and all drone has been removed by the stock resonator.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by rich2342
I totally disagree.. with that statement that drone is caused by the mufflers vs resonator.

I have the nismo exhuast and i removed the nismo resonator due to excessive volume under load and highway drone at lower rpms. I swapped it out with the stock tank resonator and any and all drone has been removed by the stock resonator.
As the resonator does take some of the noise or drone, I urge you to try a different set of mufflers as I have had just about every set up and tell me that there is not more drone with aftermarket mufflers vs stock or more drone with stock mufflers and after market resonator. i promise you will get more drone with aftermarket mufflers vs resonator.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Yep, I swapped out the mufflers on my wifes 02 Mustang GT and the drone is pretty bad at certain RPMs. It sounds wicked outside but it's always a trade off. It was the only change we made to it. I mean that resonator is there for a reason but your biggest culprit, IMO is going to be the mufflers.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM

I may have to agree with Rich here. The resonator is basically another muffler. Ours is 4ft. long and it will kill all the sound. Replacing our HUGE resonator with a smaller one, interior noise will definitely increase regardless of what type of muffler you have.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 AM

It's difficult to say exactly how much noise was eliminated when I took my nismo catback off and went back to the stock system but it was a lot. I do know that the drone was too much for me when I had it on.

After I added the cattman resonator and 2.5" piping to my stock mufflers, I did not notice any change in the sound of the exhaust system from the original stock setup. Maybe the y-pipe has something to do with it.

In any case, does anyone know where most of the power is lost? Both stock pieces look pretty restrictive.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM

I may have to agree with Rich here. The resonator is basically another muffler. Ours is 4ft. long and it will kill all the sound. Replacing our HUGE resonator with a smaller one, interior noise will definitely increase regardless of what type of muffler you have.
have you done this? Also change your mufflers (if you havent already) and see the difference. It doesnt matter what aftermarket setup you go with especially if its more "free flowing". I have seen someone add 2 resonators (longer than our stock" and still loud. Explain why my nismo is much quieter than the cattman with relatively the same resonator.

After I added the cattman resonator and 2.5" piping to my stock mufflers, I did not notice any change in the sound of the exhaust system from the original stock setup. Maybe the y-pipe has something to do with it.
This pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM

It's difficult to say exactly how much noise was eliminated when I took my nismo catback off and went back to the stock system but it was a lot. I do know that the drone was too much for me when I had it on.

In any case, does anyone know where most of the power is lost? Both stock pieces look pretty restrictive.
IMO your practical experience has just shown the mufflers play a large part in drone control. You took off the entire Nismo catback, installed a similar resonator and b-pipe and when back to stock mufflers, now the car sounds basically indentical to the stock setup. People can do what you like but if you are battling drone, start with the your mufflers.

As far as power loss goes, I point to the Y-pipe and the rear section "Y", and piping size. That stock B-pipe with the crimp is really not that restrictive even though it looks bad.

Real world experience: before going to the 1/4mi track on night, I gutted my stock y-pipe cat and replaced the B-pipe with straight pipe, it made ZERO difference in my track times. Slight difference in tone but other than that, it was a waste of my time and money, but hey, I gave it a try.

Your Cattman Y-pipe and the 2.5 piping back to the mufflers is probably making the difference you feel. Too bad you did get a dyno with that change. That would have been telling.

I still think your system came out clean though and as long as you are happy with it, that's what matters.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM

The fact is we are both right... Of course if you swap out the Nismo exhuast tips which are not restrictive and free flowing, for stock tips which are you will expereince a drop off in volume just as you would in swapping the resonator. They are all "mufflers" its the type of muffler and specific set up. I've had three different resonators on my set up and it is now quiet as can be with the stock res.. Except for the fact I've now added a Y-pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgE2MmR6r6Q

compare that to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJhA0O3kv5U

Now tell me which is louder..
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM

2nd one is definitely louder
Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 PM

First let me say this was a nice setup. Install looks clean.

Now to weight in on the mufflers vs resonator. Before i upgraded my exhaust system i had straight up stock system. then i got a pair of magnaflow 1405's. they had a nice little growl to them but i wanted to get it sounding a little louder so what i did was installed a magnaflow resonator (thanks Gollum, LoL) with is a lot smaller than the stock resonator. At first i was excited about the louder growl, but around 2k-2.5kRPM the drone is numbing on the inside unless i step on the gas a little harder and get past 3krpm.

So now i'm thinking of putting back on my stock resonator because my girl cant take the drone when we're driving in normal traffic and to tell the truth it's giving me a headace also...

but now i have another prob. when i swapped out my stock resonator at the shop i forgot there, went back the next day and the guy threw it out . A brand new one is $200+. So anyone out there wanna get rid of their stock resonator plzzzz lemme know. thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
First let me say this was a nice setup. Install looks clean.

Now to weight in on the mufflers vs resonator. Before i upgraded my exhaust system i had straight up stock system. then i got a pair of magnaflow 1405's. they had a nice little growl to them but i wanted to get it sounding a little louder so what i did was installed a magnaflow resonator (thanks Gollum, LoL) with is a lot smaller than the stock resonator. At first i was excited about the louder growl, but around 2k-2.5kRPM the drone is numbing on the inside unless i step on the gas a little harder and get past 3krpm.

So now i'm thinking of putting back on my stock resonator because my girl cant take the drone when we're driving in normal traffic and to tell the truth it's giving me a headace also...

but now i have another prob. when i swapped out my stock resonator at the shop i forgot there, went back the next day and the guy threw it out . A brand new one is $200+. So anyone out there wanna get rid of their stock resonator plzzzz lemme know. thanks.
Did you look for the magnaflow 27' resonator? Works like a charm on the drone and you still have somewhat of an agressive sound
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM

PMd lets make it happen capt
Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=VigilanteMax;6876404]have you done this? Also change your mufflers (if you havent already) and see the difference.

I sure did

You are right Ill. The Magnaflow did kill some of drone but not enough. The cruise missile is back on.

So there you go kids. I went from a straight pipe to a small resonator and back to stock.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Looking sharp. That is my one complaint about the Nismo, it doesn't have dual tips.

You are right Ill. The Magnaflow did kill some of drone but not enough. The cruise missile is back on.

So there you go kids. I went from a straight pipe to a small resonator and back to stock.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

[quote=Gollum67;6876575]
Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
have you done this? Also change your mufflers (if you havent already) and see the difference.

I sure did

Do you have the before and after soundclips?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=rich2342;6876601]

Do you have the before and after soundclips?
This clip is with the Magnaflow mufflers/resonator:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15790029&hl=en

Since I tacked on the stock resonator back on, about 85% of that fabulous growl is gone. All you hear now is the Fujita CAI and a little bit of the muffler. That resonator is huge for a reason. My car sounds like this now. Very similar even with the Magnaflows (Not my vid).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYldqmlz-WQ
Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM

oohh dude... why did you change that set up it was mellow with the magnaflow sounded nice.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM

I think drone is a part of dual muffler set ups unless you put a huge resonator on, or go to single muffler like I did.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM

oohh dude... why did you change that set up it was mellow with the magnaflow sounded nice.
Believe me, I toiled with the idea in my head for sometime because this would be the third time that I had to go through this process. I had to go with comfort because my body told me to and so did my GF and friends. Nobody wanted to ride with me
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Wow i was actually looking forward to ordering some magnaflows but after reading this thread it almost sounds like a waste of money...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Believe me, I toiled with the idea in my head for sometime because this would be the third time that I had to go through this process. I had to go with comfort because my body told me to and so did my GF and friends. Nobody wanted to ride with me

Yeah, I folded to the pressure too when I removed the nismo resonator for stock. But is just sounded so sweet going through the gears. oh, well.

Mine sounds much better since the y-pipe install which gives a very modest growl very Z'ish.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Yeah, I folded to the pressure too when I removed the nismo resonator for stock. But is just sounded so sweet going through the gears. oh, well.

Mine sounds much better since the y-pipe install which gives a very modest growl very Z'ish.
So you have stock mufflers with the stock resonator?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM

Nope, y-pipe, stock res. connected to nismo exhaust. clip below. no drone when im driving just a nice z'ish hum

Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 AM

Nope, y-pipe, stock res. connected to nismo exhaust. clip below. no drone when im driving just a nice z'ish hum

sounds good man.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

sounds good man.
do you want a resonator or not?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
do you want a resonator or not?
Sorry dude forgot to pm you back man. i actually got one off a member at nycmaxima.org. Just had to swing by and pick it up, no shipping. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM

no probs

Quick Reply: y-pipe and custom b-pipe installed...pics