6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Thinking about getting a 2004 Maxima.. Anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM

The 2004 Maxima is a Great Car...

...But each one is a bit different due to the conditions it was manufactured under and the people who have used / abused the vehicle. As you probably already know, any used car purchase is a gamble. Some cars are a safe bet, while others are longshots.

If you really want to smoke people's a$$es and you're a car enthusiast, then this model year is a safe bet, provided you do your homework and buy a car with relatively few problems. If you're looking for simple, basic transportation, you may want to go with a new auto or a Consumer Reports rated "reliable" bucket.

I bought my '04 Maxima 6 speed manual SE loaded with every option except for navigation in late 2004, and have had so few problems with it that the car and I are still in our "honeymoon" phase - she even has a name: Azulla. The car is now at 90,000 miles and has been treated well - although I drive it fast EVERYDAY.

I once had a problem with my front right strut which was replaced under warranty - it made a rattling sound over bumps. My power moonroof sometimes won't close the first time, especially when motoring at speeds over 65 mph - the wind deflector was deformed and replaced under warranty once, although the problem persists. I simply slow down a bit and hit the switch again to work around this issue. In the winter, my CV joints freeze at low temperatures, causing vibration when driving at highway speeds until the joints warm. Sometimes snow gets packed into the wheels, which also causes a bit of a wheel imbalance, resulting in a shimmy. This always goes away when the snow is cleared out of the wheels or the CV joints warm up.

To me, these are negligible issues because this is the BEST DAMNED CAR I've ever owned or driven. Whether or not YOU like the car will depend upon what you need it to do - and pure luck.

Good luck.

Last edited by ChipperX; 05-01-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by addicted2pain
Getting it done today along with some new tires. I hope that will solve things, but it sounds like the "shimmy" may be a recurring problem with this model.
Try and get a road force balance... hopefully that will all solve your shimmy. I don't have it anymore, but I ended up getting new springs/shocks/rotors/wheels/tires. Not to solve the shimmy... but for looks/performance. Ends up the shimmy is also gone. You shouldn't have to go that far though...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 AM

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE for sale 85k miles Dark Blue, Black Cloth interior $11,995-Located in Boston. Great car. Wife doesn't have full time job, and we have three cars. 5 Speed Auto. It is great, I have replaced the front struts etc, and Put on Michellin Avid AV4 ($300 bucks a piece, great tires).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Ni...7%7C240%3A1318

Item number: 150354758942

Last edited by sirphilo; 06-29-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Get the manual tranny, that way you know it was never a rental or have to worry about problems with 4 and 5 sp autos. I have had my 04 for 3 years, 78,000 miles haven't spent one penny on repairs other than the 60,000 scheduled maintenance. Great car, fun to drive and 30 MPG on the highway.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Try and get a road force balance... hopefully that will all solve your shimmy. I don't have it anymore, but I ended up getting new springs/shocks/rotors/wheels/tires. Not to solve the shimmy... but for looks/performance. Ends up the shimmy is also gone. You shouldn't have to go that far though...
Thanks for the advice, it is always welcome. The balance, alignment, and new tires appears to have fixed the shimmy so far. I say "appears" because I haven't had her above 80 yet.... If shimmy continues I will keep your advice in mind.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

things to know bout 04 maxima

Originally Posted by tbird2340
So I got a 6th Gen Maxima as a rental when my truck got wrecked and had it for a week (about 3 years ago).. Ever since then I was in love with them.. The cars are just super bad ***...

Well, I look on autotrader every so often just to see if there is one in my price range.. Last week I found one.. It's a 2004 SL with everything but Nav. It has 36,000 miles and they are asking $13,500 for it.. I told them if they would take $12,000 I would buy it..

I know it's already a good deal at $13,500 but $12,000 is the most we want to spend on a car so that's what I told them..

Is there anything I should know if they agree to this before actually buying? I'm seeing a lot about bad transmissions.. That is very scary.. How exactly can I tell if this one is good? Anything else to check?

Thanks much! Hopefully I'll be a full time member / poster soon!
Hello I have some things I can tell ya bout the 04-06 maxima,They have the bulk of the issues, In 04 they started making the new 6th Gen body style at a new factory at Smyrna,Tenn. Obviously they had some bugs to work out being so much new criteria. Some of the issues are, The timing chain tensioners were not made of a material that would hold up good,thus with relative low miles they are prone to wear out and down to the metal,requiring pulling the engine and tearing down(very expensive). Another issue is the angle at which they put the drive axles, they were at too sharp of an angle which produces quite noticeable torque steer,basically get on it at low speeds and ya better be hanging on to that steering wheel. Yet another is the ABS sensor, dont know why but many people have had very expensive issues with that, The infamous shimmy,at highway speeds it seems to have a shimmy(vibration)that cannot be corrected by tire balancing or alignments. Motor and tranny mounts and strut mounts, seems they were noy adequate strenght or durabillity to handle the 265 HP that maxima generated,thus most consumers experience failure of these mounts early in mileage. Oil consumption and leakage,Nissan reconized that these models were using some oil between changes and obviously couldnt fix,cause they called it normal occurance. as for leaks there are several infamous areas, the oil cooler seal,oil pressure switch,rear valve cover. Im sure I have not mentioned everything but these stand out. This is not to say all 04-06 experience these issues,but enuff to be on every forum ya read. By all accounts they still kick ***,and mine is still running perfect with 223,000 miles but they do require keeping up religiously. To the best of My knowledge Nissan reconized these issues and started correcting on the 07 on models, So in My opinion from 07 on would be better cars as far as dependabillity goes. I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION PERHAPS THE MOST FAMILIAR ISSUE THE TRANNY,seems everyone has had something bad to say about the transmission on these cars,but mine has many miles and shifts flawlessly,I think its safe to say many maxima owners drive it like they stole it and ya cant expect any car to last well hot rodding the **** outta it,there is a reason race cars have to be rebuilt after every race.maxman7
Old 05-03-2009, 12:45 PM

wow, I guess I lucked out on getting an '07. Even though this thread doesn't pertain to me, good info guys. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxman7
Hello I have some things I can tell ya bout the 04-06 maxima,They have the bulk of the issues, In 04 they started making the new 6th Gen body style at a new factory at Smyrna,Tenn. Obviously they had some bugs to work out being so much new criteria. Some of the issues are, The timing chain tensioners were not made of a material that would hold up good,thus with relative low miles they are prone to wear out and down to the metal,requiring pulling the engine and tearing down(very expensive). Another issue is the angle at which they put the drive axles, they were at too sharp of an angle which produces quite noticeable torque steer,basically get on it at low speeds and ya better be hanging on to that steering wheel. Yet another is the ABS sensor, dont know why but many people have had very expensive issues with that, The infamous shimmy,at highway speeds it seems to have a shimmy(vibration)that cannot be corrected by tire balancing or alignments. Motor and tranny mounts and strut mounts, seems they were noy adequate strenght or durabillity to handle the 265 HP that maxima generated,thus most consumers experience failure of these mounts early in mileage. Oil consumption and leakage,Nissan reconized that these models were using some oil between changes and obviously couldnt fix,cause they called it normal occurance. as for leaks there are several infamous areas, the oil cooler seal,oil pressure switch,rear valve cover. Im sure I have not mentioned everything but these stand out. This is not to say all 04-06 experience these issues,but enuff to be on every forum ya read. By all accounts they still kick ***,and mine is still running perfect with 223,000 miles but they do require keeping up religiously. To the best of My knowledge Nissan reconized these issues and started correcting on the 07 on models, So in My opinion from 07 on would be better cars as far as dependabillity goes. I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION PERHAPS THE MOST FAMILIAR ISSUE THE TRANNY,seems everyone has had something bad to say about the transmission on these cars,but mine has many miles and shifts flawlessly,I think its safe to say many maxima owners drive it like they stole it and ya cant expect any car to last well hot rodding the **** outta it,there is a reason race cars have to be rebuilt after every race.maxman7
Good summary, maxman.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Anything else to check?
rust/corrosion.... front driver and passenger floors.... (might not be there with SL if no moonroof)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxman7

Holy Ship, your Max has 223,000 miles? How many miles did it have when you bought it?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM

watch out for the trannys and timing chain tensioner...Expensive repairs
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM

PS - go with what maxman said, 07 they started correcting the problems that years model. Havent heard too many complaints on the 07 side.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rust Rust Rust!

I just sold my Last 5th gen 3 weeks ago to get a 4th gen. I checked it over pretty good and drove it kinda hard testing it out. Rode great, Looks even better. We've had it 3 days when I got it up in the air to get tires on it when I about S*&T myself looking at the floor boards. There is a 8 inch by 15 inch hole just below the front of the drivers seat in the lower pan on the floor board. It looks to me if they did not put enough sealant in the pan plug to keep it in place. I'm trying to deal with Nissan now to fix it. No freaking way this thing should rusted out. My old 95 GLE was freak en spotless when I got rid of it 2 years ago and this thing looks like caca underneath. Man I up pissed at myself. Other than that the freak en thing is a blast to drive. Helps it loaded but for nav

Last edited by 2MANYMAXIMA'S2COUNT; 06-30-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rust Bucket

Well here is an update on the rust issue. They completely denied any responsibility in the matter. No help what so ever. I'm going to get a set of pictures up and start a thread. I think every 6th gen owner should take there car in for this issue and force Nissan to take care of our cars. If this is the flagship of the fleet I'd have to see how rusted out the Sentra's are after a couple years. If it weren't for the economy being so bad right now I turn around and trade it in on a new Camry. Heck I might just do it anyways if I can pull a good trade. So much for being a good customer for the last 10 years. I expect this out of my Chevy rust bucket trucks. At least I use them for work and get tot tear them up in the process. All I get to do on theis one is whatch it turn into a Fred Flinstone Mobile. I think I'll call the new thread the Fleecing of Maxima owners(from 60 minutes The fleecing of America).
Freak en Rust buckets!!!!!

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0001_large.jpg

Last edited by 2MANYMAXIMA'S2COUNT; 06-30-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM

i have an 04 SL 4speed....i havent had any problems yet...i have around 84,000 miles on it and still runs strong and shifts gear smoothly....
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM

look for shifting on the tranny -- engine noise... recalls up to date...save money cuz nissan parts are expensive