6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

At my wits end advice PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM

At my wits end advice PLEASE...

A few months back I put in my Eibachs and had a pretty bad thumping noise on the passenger side.I assumed it was the strut so 2 weeks ago I put in some KYB's.It seemed to fix the thump,but over the past few days it seems to have come back...only worse!!It almost sounds like something is loose or flapping around,but all looks good.Also,Im also getting noises when I turn the wheel.Today when I was driving to work it seemed so bad that I pulled over to check it out.I really dont see anything obvious.

One note,when I was installing the struts I did put a small hole in the CV boot.It really is very small and I was able to put a little silicone sealer to help bandage it.There is no grease any where so I dont think this really could be a problem...could it???

Please help!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
*moderator*

That's why I let the pros do stuff like that for me...hopefully someone will chime in and help solve your problem!!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 07Maximan
A few months back I put in my Eibachs and had a pretty bad thumping noise on the passenger side.I assumed it was the strut so 2 weeks ago I put in some KYB's.It seemed to fix the thump,but over the past few days it seems to have come back...only worse!!It almost sounds like something is loose or flapping around,but all looks good.Also,Im also getting noises when I turn the wheel.Today when I was driving to work it seemed so bad that I pulled over to check it out.I really dont see anything obvious.

One note,when I was installing the struts I did put a small hole in the CV boot.It really is very small and I was able to put a little silicone sealer to help bandage it.There is no grease any where so I dont think this really could be a problem...could it???

Please help!!!

OK so it sounds like you did the work yourself. You need to jack the car up and pull the wheels off and give each corner a good visual. When you took things apart, did you mark each piece so you know how it goes back together? Like the spring hats for example? Also, is the spring fully seated on the perch? Check the sway bar links to make sure they were properly re-installed. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Yes I did the work myself.I was pretty meticulous or at least I thought I was.I made sure the strut mount was pointing the right way and I used a marker to make sure stuff went back together the same way.

When you say the end links,how could I tell if I put i back the wrong way?I mean this really isnt that hard.Whats really weird is that Ive only had problems with the passenger side.Both before I put the struts on and now after.Im pretty concerned about the noise its making when I turn,its pretty bad.

What about the tear in the CV boot?Heres something else that seems strange.When I punctured the boot it sounded like air was being let out of a tire.Anyone ever here of that before?I actually thought I broke a brake line,but I didnt(thank god).
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
That's why I let the pros do stuff like that for me...hopefully someone will chime in and help solve your problem!!
I know I probably should have.The problem I had was that no one wanted to install the parts I had.The places I went to wanted to get their own parts.I got the struts for 60.00 a piece.two places wanted 130.00 each plus the install,thats crazy.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM

I dont know much about the cv boot thing. Since it makes a bad noise during turning, maybe jack up the front, and have someone turn the wheels back and fourth so you can give it a good visual. I cant really think of anything else. Re-check all the nuts and bolts you used to make sure nothing is loose. Yea i know re-connecting some things are a no brainer, but im tryin to cover most things here.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
*moderator*

I know I probably should have.The problem I had was that no one wanted to install the parts I had.The places I went to wanted to get their own parts.I got the struts for 60.00 a piece.two places wanted 130.00 each plus the install,thats crazy.
Where in So Cal are you again? I have a really good shop near me that does all my work for me. The mechanic is a certified Nissan Tech, corporate trained. He is awesome with anything aftermarket as well...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Where in So Cal are you again? I have a really good shop near me that does all my work for me. The mechanic is a certified Nissan Tech, corporate trained. He is awesome with anything aftermarket as well...
I live in the IE.The problem is that I need to get it fixed ASAP or at least have it looked over.Like I said the noise seems pretty bad.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where in the IE are you? There are a few of us out here
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Where in the IE are you? There are a few of us out here
Temecula/Murietta
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Playa_FL
I dont know much about the cv boot thing. Since it makes a bad noise during turning, maybe jack up the front, and have someone turn the wheels back and fourth so you can give it a good visual. I cant really think of anything else. Re-check all the nuts and bolts you used to make sure nothing is loose. Yea i know re-connecting some things are a no brainer, but im tryin to cover most things here.
I just went out with a friend to try this and no luck.It only makes the noise when the car is moving.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
KC's FINEST

Could be the strut plate.

There for awhile alot of people were having problems with the Eibachs. I think they made a rubber bump stop and sleeve to help correct it. Might search around some.

Id meet up with J and have his guy take a look...
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CV boot shoot NOT be an issue. Mine tore one day out of no where and got grease all over my rims etc. I drove for 3weeks like that, no weird noises or issue. We just replace and put grease back in. You should be fine there. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM

you need strut mounts/bearings. my car did the same thing and after i replaced them it was all good. i just called the deealer and said i wanted everything except a spring and a strut and a i got goodie bag fulls of stuff and now no more noise.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
you need strut mounts/bearings. my car did the same thing and after i replaced them it was all good. i just called the deealer and said i wanted everything except a spring and a strut and a i got goodie bag fulls of stuff and now no more noise.
Was your noise pretty bad?Both sides or just one?

So the strut mount/plate,is that the top of the strut assembly?The part that has the 3 bolts that go up into the engine compartment?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Maybe someone can recommend a good mechanic they use in Buffalo, NY? Don't really want to go to the dealer and pay $100/hr rates. Unless everyone is charging that much these days.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM

oh **** man.... i kept over looking this thread... thought it was another tranny issue... :P

ok...

1. did you user your original factory bump stop or the plastic boot supplied in the eibach kit?
2. check the spring and the top and bottom rubber insert of the strut. make sure the spring is sitting flush against both rubber ends. (i hope that makes sense.)
3. check your front factory endlinks and bolts. maybe one of them is bent or cracked.

I just did my eibach's with Mr. Pro Suspension Man (coolmax05). He pointed out a few important facts when messing with 6thgen suspensions.

I will be waiting for your response.

Last edited by 2LEET4U; 04-23-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
oh **** man.... i kept over looking this thread... thought it was another tranny issue... :P

ok...

1. did you user your original factory bump stop or the plastic boot supplied in the eibach kit?
2. check the spring and the top and bottom rubber insert of the strut. make sure the spring is sitting flush against both rubber ends. (i hope that makes sense.)
3. check your front factory endlinks and bolts. maybe one of them is bent or cracked.

I just did my eibach's with Mr. Pro Suspension Man (coolmax05). He pointed out a few important facts when messing with 6thgen suspensions.

I will be waiting for your response.
OK heres the problem.I feel kind of stupid but at least I figured it out.
The bolt that goes from the endlivk to the sturt was loose.On visual inspection it looked tight,but it was only because the nut was pressed against the strut making it look tight...does that make sense??

Anyway a few turns of the socket and viola...noise gone.Thnaks for all the help everyone,I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM

OK heres the problem.I feel kind of stupid but at least I figured it out.
The bolt that goes from the endlivk to the sturt was loose.On visual inspection it looked tight,but it was only because the nut was pressed against the strut making it look tight...does that make sense??

Anyway a few turns of the socket and viola...noise gone.Thnaks for all the help everyone,I really appreciate it.
can you post a pic of that nut? ...(that sounds crazy lol) i have a similar noise issue but mine come and goes....
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM

It usually is the endlink...be careful as the nissan ones are crap. This is the first thing to go in a suspension change. Also make sure you use the right torque settings on the strut bolts and the center shaft bolt...very important
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM

hey 07Maximan are your eibachs squeaky at all?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
Oh yeah,drives me crazy.

As far as pics I dont have any.Its the nut that mounts about 3/4 up the strut and the end link goes down from there.Its really only bolt on there.

Torque specs...where do I find them?I didnt torque them to a specific number I just made them tight.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
It usually is the endlink...be careful as the nissan ones are crap. This is the first thing to go in a suspension change. Also make sure you use the right torque settings on the strut bolts and the center shaft bolt...very important
What are some good endlinks?The stock ones do seem pretty crappy.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM

http://www.racinglineperformance.com...roducts_id=112
Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 AM

Torque specs...where do I find them?I didnt torque them to a specific number I just made them tight.
Very light torque specs like 35ft/lbs on the strut chasis bolts and 50 ft/lbs on the shaft bolt (I believe). Very light...if you tighten them too much you will crush your bearing and then you will have the noise when turning your steering wheel.

+1 on racingline
Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM

i'm glad everything worked out. All it take is just some double checking.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
yes..mine are... i think thats the real issue i have....