6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'07 Red Max, Chrome add ons question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:15 AM

'07 Red Max, Chrome add ons question...

I've seen in a few different places on the web chrome license plate bezels, spoiler trim and door handle pieces. It looks like they all simply stick on with some type of tape?

Just curious to know if anyone has any experience with these, is one brand better than another, will they "last" etc... From the pictures I think they'd look nice on my red car but I don't want to go too overboard with chrome...

Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have chrome wheels and license plate trim on the back but that's about it. Like you said you want to be careful because it can go overboard real quick. I thought about handle trim and window trim etc..........for about 2seconds and decided: no.

As far as quality, they are probably about the same and use 3m tape to mount. Post a pic of your car so we can get an idea
Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM

Ok so my Maxima is completely stock so I thought maybe this:

Would like nice on it... then I noticed that this pic also has a chrome spoiler strip on it was well....

Here's my baby:

Parked next to my neighbor's 300 (she just put 22's on it the other day...).

The more I look the more I think chrome door handles MIGHT not look bad.... but I'm really focused on trying to decide about the license plate bezel, and MAYBE the spoiler strip.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM

i think door handles would look okay as for the license plate and spoiler.. not to sure about that.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM

Chrome

I love that color, if you do decide to chrome i would just do the rims, handles, and pillar posts at max, again thats me if i ever wanted to chrome my 08 (mine is dark blue)

But another option would be to balck it out Tint windows, lights gunmetal/ black rims also grill and nice roof spoiler. That would look real good on a red car. I have decided to go the black route. I tinted the tails, until i can get the LED tail in black, changed the rims to 19" M45/35 sport rims, tinted windows. Still working on (gettin cash together) for CF roof spoiler and the right grill. GOOD Luck
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM

I've been wondering myself about those door handle covers. The ones I've seen online are not cheap, but I have to wonder how they will hold up, especially with kids getting in and out of the back seat all the time. And once one pops off...then you have to replace it or remove the others. Yeah, it would look so much better if the handle came from the factory that way. It's kept me hesitating.

As far as the ring around the plate, let me start by saying HELL NO, DON'T DO IT!!!

Get a custom grill first. Most of them are very nice, and some come with the bottom grill as well. That's what I did, and the car looks very nice. Looks stock, but not.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan
I love that color, if you do decide to chrome i would just do the rims, handles, and pillar posts at max, again thats me if i ever wanted to chrome my 08 (mine is dark blue)

But another option would be to balck it out Tint windows, lights gunmetal/ black rims also grill and nice roof spoiler. That would look real good on a red car. I have decided to go the black route. I tinted the tails, until i can get the LED tail in black, changed the rims to 19" M45/35 sport rims, tinted windows. Still working on (gettin cash together) for CF roof spoiler and the right grill. GOOD Luck
I'm definitely going to get the windows tinted I just need to check out a few local places and see where I want to have it done.

I really like some of the red LED's that I've seen online to replace the tail lamps too. How hard is that replacement/conversion of those rear light assembly's?

I've definitely seen some nice custom grills on these forums...

Last edited by DarienA; 05-13-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 AM

I like both of these, because you can reuse the Nissan emblem in them, helps make it look stock.

Here's the one I went with:
http://www.shopsar.com/Nissan-Maxima...3-0185-07q.htm

Here's a nice Mesh one...
http://www.shopsar.com/Nissan-Maxima...83-0102-07.htm
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I like both of these, because you can reuse the Nissan emblem in them, helps make it look stock.

Here's a nice Mesh one...
http://www.shopsar.com/Nissan-Maxima...83-0102-07.htm
Yeah I'd to keep the Nissan on emblem on the front. Oh I like this Mesh grille reminds me of the stock mesh grills on the CTS-V's...

I'm going to have to save that link... again how hard is it to replace that upper and lower grille?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM

07 RED

Though i have not changed the girll's (top or bottom) most are very easy from what i see, mose are either bolt over or just replace, either way its just a matter of a few screws.

As per the lights i hear they are plug n play, however search the thread on that because there are some little things u might need to do. the only reason i have not gotten the lights yet is because I am working on the sound system, just got the 500/5 in chrome comeing today. haha
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks Hamchan sounds like a novice like me might be able to pull off that mesh grille replacement...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

Not a problem, and I am not just a member of the Novice club I am the president, LOL
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM

PS. I agree wiht the member who posed about not doing the trunk chrome, I agreee NOOOOOOOOOO, i hate how that looks as well
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM

yeah I think I'm going to pass on the chrome... mesh grille and getting those windows tinted will probably be it for now.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM

It can gets pricy when you start modding. I used to live in the East (NY, CT) and tint use to run me over 200, maybe i didnt know the right places but here is TX for some reason its super cheap. Must be because its super hott here. Good luck
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM

i've seen the maxima door handles on a red max. in person and they look fine... id def. say fffaaarr aawwaayy from the spoiler and trunk chrome covers.... brings down the value of a great lux. car
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DarienA
Thanks Hamchan sounds like a novice like me might be able to pull off that mesh grille replacement...

That grill replacement is relatively easy, but something you'll want to be ready for, because the stock grill has a lot of recess behind it, these flat grills expose a lot of the bumper that the old grill hides. The suggestion in the instructions is to tape off, sand and paint black the area's behind where the new grill will sit. I was lucky, I always have tape and black paint around, so it only slowed me down about an hour, plus some dry time.

Lastly, remember to tape off the bumper to protect the factory paint during the new grill install, especially the bottom. I tried to cut a corner to save some time, and needed to touch up where i rubbed off some color. Had I used tape, it would have slid in without a scratch.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Can we assume one would avoid some of the paint work if we use the bolt over kits?
Also i bought a grill from ebay, (grill4u) mesh chrome, great quality the ad said 07-08 bumper girll it was about 2 inches short and 1/2 inch too tall. I had to take soo many pics to send to their technician before they refunded my money but it was refunded, is the 07 different than the 08? i dont think it would be but you never know. Thank you
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
That grill replacement is relatively easy, but something you'll want to be ready for, because the stock grill has a lot of recess behind it, these flat grills expose a lot of the bumper that the old grill hides. The suggestion in the instructions is to tape off, sand and paint black the area's behind where the new grill will sit. I was lucky, I always have tape and black paint around, so it only slowed me down about an hour, plus some dry time.

Lastly, remember to tape off the bumper to protect the factory paint during the new grill install, especially the bottom. I tried to cut a corner to save some time, and needed to touch up where i rubbed off some color. Had I used tape, it would have slid in without a scratch.
Weird I would think the Mesh grille I'm interested in would actually cover more...
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 AM

Weird I would think the Mesh grille would cover more... are you saying it doesn't stick out as much?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM

MaxMax your expertise please.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM

I got the quarter by quarter, (the first one) and the same company made the mesh grill too. The instructions they sent with it showed all pictures of the mesh grill, but said it was universal for both grill sets, so I'm guessing you need to paint for both.

It's the area behind the grill that you're seeing some parts of the bumper's factory color. The old grill doesn't let you see anything inside the space. It's mostly lighter color cars, but I imagine the Red would stand out behind the grill. A black car you wouldn't have to do any paint mod.

The paint work didn't take much to do at all, don't let it intimidate you one bit. It's only around the top grill that you have to do it. What you do is dry fit the grill into position, so you can apply tape where the grill meets up to. Then remove the grill, tape in about a 1/2 inch under where the grill will be, then cover everything that you don't want black on, use newspaper to cover the big areas. When you're done masking, dryfit the grill again to make sure you're getting good coverage, and aren't painting where you shouldn't.

You just need to scuff up the paint a little bit to help the paint bond. Don't forget to clean the surfaces and dry them before applying the paint.

Last edited by MadMax07SL; 05-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM

the bling bling factor is played out.... IMO!!!

i would feel sorry for the cars ridding around you, you could blind someone with all that chrome! lol
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks Max.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM

I would just stick with the door handles!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
the bling bling factor is played out.... IMO!!!

i would feel sorry for the cars ridding around you, you could blind someone with all that chrome! lol

Haa... when the suns in front of me, I can see the reflection from the grill on street signs 300 feet away.

Isn't the whole point about moding a car to make it stand out from other stock cars? Some guys like everything blackened, some guys like Chrome...what's the problem with that?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM

imo i really dislike all the chrome pillars/door handles/chrome fenders & all of that... just not my style...

as for the grille i went with the mesh... took abt 20 mins to do.. real simple install..-- see my sig
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM

It would be nice if they made the door handles like the ones on the M34/45 chrome edge, black inserts, Thoughts guys. I however have decided to go the black out route (except for the rims, they are M34/45 sport rims)
Old 05-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
imo i really dislike all the chrome pillars/door handles/chrome fenders & all of that... just not my style...

as for the grille i went with the mesh... took abt 20 mins to do.. real simple install..-- see my sig
Yeah I like that look alot.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

dont do it.....any of it.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Hamchan, i must see pics of your car, because i really want to see a picture of a navy blue max with those rims, and smoked lights. because thats what i want, when i can afford it one day cant really do that on minimum wage. lol parents bought the car. but i dont know how this would look on a navy car.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Libz
dont do it.....any of it.
Hmm the plot thickens...