6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone here with new Eibach Springs installed since 2008 and having noise problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eibach Springs Correct Installation and Timing Pictures

I have been having the same noise issues since I received my replacement Eibach springs...I had a broken spring about 1 month ago and had the dealeship replace all the top rubber and hardware....to no avail...The mechanic there noticed that the spring is not the same diameter as the stock ones...I'm thinking that maybe all of us here have an issue with Eibach....that the springs manufactured since 08 are wrong....I looked underneath with the wheel turned outside I noticed that the coils are rubbing near the top....if so then the springs are improperly rated and the noises we're hearing are the individual coils rubbing together near the top. If so Eibach better figure something out fast....cause we all did everything by the book here....except some of you may have over rotated the spring to match the indents in the top pad....it's the pad that needs to be rotated. Since so many here are having the same issue, I am inclined to believe that this is a manfacturing flaw...that either an engineer or the fab screwed up a new batch of springs. I need everyone here that has new springs that are having noises in the front end to chime in so that we can collectivley contact Eibach with this issue.

Once again: I turned the left wheel as far left as possible and was able to see all the way up the suspension well and I believe that I see the coils near the top rubbing together as if they are too compressed. If necessary, I can take a picture and post it here.

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-31-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM

Hi Guys,

If no one here as noise problems with their modified suspensions...what did you guys do to eliminate the noise?

Rotating the spring about 1 fingers thickness away from the bottom was one suggestion.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi Guys, Happy Memorial Day week-end...I hope you all are enjoying your well deserved Holiday....God Bless America!

After spending some time at the dealer with a few mechanics, we noticed that the top two coils are firmly rubbing together which would explain the noises I am hearing. The springs are not supporting the weight of the car...this was not so with my previous springs...they never touched and if they did slightly I had that famous rubber hose to soften the bump! In fact the part number on spring does not match the part numbers on their web-site or the ones on my original box...this was a set of springs that were sent by the distributor located in Ontario...someone screwed up...I will be contacting Eibach tomorrow when everyone is back at work and asking some serious questions!

Looks like I will have to have a new set of replacement springs installed ASAP...hopefully by Wednesday. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hi Guys, Happy Memorial Day week-end...I hope you all are enjoying your well deserved Holiday....God Bless America!

After spending some time at the dealer with a few mechanics, we noticed that the top two coils are firmly rubbing together which would explain the noises I am hearing. The springs are not supporting the weight of the car...this was not so with my previous springs...they never touched and if they did slightly I had that famous rubber hose to soften the bump! In fact the part number on spring does not match the part numbers on their web-site or the ones on my original box...this was a set of springs that were sent by the distributor located in Ontario...someone screwed up...I will be contacting Eibach tomorrow when everyone is back at work and asking some serious questions!

Looks like I will have to have a new set of replacement springs installed ASAP...hopefully by Wednesday. I will keep everyone posted.
definitely because that was the only complaint i have with my Eibachs...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Well so far Eibach has confirmed that the Springs are OK....Thursday we recheck (Dealership) the entire suspension set-up...It seems that everything now is pointing towards the bearing assembly and it's set-up...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 PM

update?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

The dealership took apart the entire suspension assembly on both sides and reinstalled everything according to Eibach's instructions. I'm happy to report that the car is now free of any noises and seems to handle a lot better. The ride seems more sure footed, smooth and sturdy too. From what I understood, the bearing assembly was not flush because the bearing timing was off. It is now centered and the weight is now evenly distributed around the bearing hub. The bearings were able to rotate freely 360 degrees before the suspension was reinstalled. It appears that my suspicions were ill founded. Eibach confirmed that the part numbers all match and that there are no issues with the QC on these parts....As these are progressive springs, the top coils are referred to as "dead coils" and as such are made to "stick" together. The issue was not at all an Eibach one but rather an installation issue by the dealership.

What a relief...at last the car is driving the way it should and the way it did for 3 years with this set-up and the whole thing did not cost me a cent as I had paid for the original repair two and half weeks ago (broken spring replacement). The dealership honored their commitment to warranty repair work. The alignment was also redone too.

All is well that ends well. I will keep a close eye on everything over the next few days.

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-29-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 AM

this is great, as i'm purchasing eibachs this year. i'll just have to make sure i put everything back exactly as i took it apart.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Eibach springs are "progressive" in nature and the springs actually are designed to touch each other depending on compression of the cars weight.

A very important aspect in getting the strut bearing to turn freely is the alignment of the "top hat" in relationship to the strut. Done properly the entire assembly will be flush and therefore decrease stress on the strut bearing. Which in turn reduce the likeiness of noises and other issues.

Congrats on the dealer doing the right thing.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Great writeup and pictures!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM

I don't see any pictures? It's great the fixed you up with no $$ out of your pocket.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Pictures As Promised

Pictures as promised
Thanks for everyone's support!
Eibach Prokit 1

Broken Spring

Wrong Spring Seat Installation

Proper and Correct Spring Seat Installation

Correct Line up and timing of Spring: Notice gap at the end of the seat sill

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-31-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Eibach springs are "progressive" in nature and the springs actually are designed to touch each other depending on compression of the cars weight.

A very important aspect in getting the strut bearing to turn freely is the alignment of the "top hat" in relationship to the strut. Done properly the entire assembly will be flush and therefore decrease stress on the strut bearing. Which in turn reduce the likeiness of noises and other issues.

Congrats on the dealer doing the right thing.
Hi coolmax,
Great advice. Quick question though, does that apply to stock spring/strut combo as wheel? I recently got the stock setup installed and I went outside to check the orientation of the upper strut plate. The edge that has the hump and the "OUT" written on it is not in line with the lower part of the strut where the knuckle attaches. Recently my car has been having intermittent sway and wind noise. Could this be the cause of it?
Thanx
Rick
Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rick sambora
Hi coolmax,
Great advice. Quick question though, does that apply to stock spring/strut combo as wheel? I recently got the stock setup installed and I went outside to check the orientation of the upper strut plate. The edge that has the hump and the "OUT" written on it is not in line with the lower part of the strut where the knuckle attaches. Recently my car has been having intermittent sway and wind noise. Could this be the cause of it?
Thanx
Rick
Indeed it is a issue not having them aligned up properly. As far as the wind noise and sway, I can't say for sure.

Align them up properly and report back. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Part 2:

Correct line up and timing of bottom spring seat: Notice gap and the end of the spring seat sill: THIS IS NORMAL & CORRECT.

KYB GR2

Ah YES! Slammed and Still Happy!

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-31-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM
GrandPa

Nice write up. I am going to call you during the week.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM

Hi Warren!

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you this week!

Are you planning on going to Maxus? I would like to go however if I do it would be on the 27th...My daughter has her Prom on the 26th. Take care!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Moderator, Could you please change this thread's heading to: "Eibach Springs Correct Installation and Timing Pictures"