6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Eibachs vs Teins

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Eibachs vs Teins

Which spring would you guys/gals recommend? I have ruled out Progress because I want progressive springs.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nene503
Which spring would you guys/gals recommend? I have ruled out Progress because I want progressive springs.
You may want to re-think your choice. Read the following taken from the Progress site:

The question "progressive or linear?" is often asked. Most Progress springs are "progressive" dual-rate designs, but there is much more to our engineering process. Our springs are designed to get the most performance with the fewest compromises. If the springs are too soft or too low, the suspension will bottom out and handle poorly. If the springs are too firm, the ride is harsh and the tire contact patch becomes unstable over bumps. Progress Sport Springs are a successful compromise between ground clearance, ride quality, and improved handling.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Taken from Progress's website. From what I've read from people, Progress makes your car ride like a go-kart. I want people's opinions who've tried some them all. Some member's have said if you don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort then Eibach are the way to go, but not many people have compared Eibachs and Tien.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
You may want to re-think your choice. Read the following taken from the Progress site:

The question "progressive or linear?" is often asked. Most Progress springs are "progressive" dual-rate designs, but there is much more to our engineering process. Our springs are designed to get the most performance with the fewest compromises. If the springs are too soft or too low, the suspension will bottom out and handle poorly. If the springs are too firm, the ride is harsh and the tire contact patch becomes unstable over bumps. Progress Sport Springs are a successful compromise between ground clearance, ride quality, and improved handling.
Seriously Dues. If you think for a minute that progress is the ultimate compromise for Maximas you need to simply review the reviews (bottom line).

Technically, the lower the drop the less successful the OEM dampeners will be at dealing with road imperfections. H&R and Tein have taken notice of this and offered less dramatic drops to work better with OEM dampeners. the only aftermarket dampeners available are stiffer ones which further aggrevate the situation.

Furthermore the butt knows more than anything. People like myself have driven on both. Have you? Progress springs are linear-period!

Read this. This explains the better ride quality associated with "progressive" springs. Most people want the drop while maintaining ride quality. For the absolute best "racing performance", the spring should be linear. But this is afterall a 4 door performance car with emphasis on comfort. Most complaints after a drop are related to degraded ride quality.

http://flaminsuds.tripod.com/id5.html
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM

i have a 4th gen and have had both springs in my opinion the eibachs ride better, the teins are more sport driven a lil harsh but will take a turn both are great handling but never the less the eibachs ride better, smother
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Seriously Dues. If you think for a minute that progress is the ultimate compromise for Maximas you need to simply review the reviews (bottom line).

Technically, the lower the drop the less successful the OEM dampeners will be at dealing with road imperfections. H&R and Tein have taken notice of this and offered less dramatic drops to work better with OEM dampeners. the only aftermarket dampeners available are stiffer ones which further aggrevate the situation.

Furthermore the butt knows more than anything. People like myself have driven on both. Have you? Progress springs are linear-period!

Read this. This explains the better ride quality associated with "progressive" springs. Most people want the drop while maintaining ride quality. For the absolute best "racing performance", the spring should be linear. But this is afterall a 4 door performance car with emphasis on comfort. Most complaints after a drop are related to degraded ride quality.

http://flaminsuds.tripod.com/id5.html
I have only had the stock springs and Progress, but I was there when the springs were being designed and they used my car. The owners told me that the springs were progressive. Note that the website did not say that the springs were linear but that "For the absolute best 'racing performance', the spring should be linear." In other words, the springs are progressive, but if you want race performance they should be linear. Thats my interpretation, based on teh fact that the owner of Progress told me they were progressive. The main purpose of the Progress springs, was to provide Maixma owners with a lowered ride height with equal wheel gap. We spent a lot of time making sure the gap was equal. He said the springs were about 15% stiffer than OEM which is not very much at all. I dont believe the ride is anything like a go-kart with OEM struts. In fact, I was disappointed because it felt too much like stock. I happen to be unusual in that I prefer a stiffer spring. Heck, my racing seat has about 1mm of padding, lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Please guys don't hijack this thread and start supporting or dissing Progress springs, I would just would like to pick someone's brain who has compared both Tein and Eibach. I'm not dissing Progress at all, but just basing my decision on what others have stated.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Eibachs is much better!....believe me it's ride better!....
Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM

With all respect to Deus and his efforts, I've had all 3 stock, Progress and Teins. Teins are hands down a smoother ride. Now that may not work for what you are doing and I've said in other posts, I believe if it came down to pure handling, I give the nod to Progress but if you are looking for some drop and some better handling Teins are a great compromise. Progress are all less $ too so they have that going for them.

Eibachs vs Teins - So far one member had both and likes Eibachs. I would really like to see a 6thgen member test em both out. BTW I am on stock suspension otherwise. Looking forward to the outcome. :-)

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Eibach or Tein are both available at
http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/maximasuspension.htm
We sell more Progress but Eibach is a close 2nd place.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Enough Said..

Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE
Enough Said..

Luckie... do you have any pics from the side. I would like to see what this looks like. Are you on stock shocks/struts?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM

The owners told me that the springs were progressive. Thats my interpretation, based on teh fact that the owner of Progress told me they were progressive. The main purpose of the Progress springs, was to provide Maixma owners with a lowered ride height with equal wheel gap. We spent a lot of time making sure the gap was equal. He said the springs were about 15% stiffer than OEM which is not very much at all. I dont believe the ride is anything like a go-kart with OEM struts. In fact, I was disappointed because it felt too much like stock. I happen to be unusual in that I prefer a stiffer spring. Heck, my racing seat has about 1mm of padding, lol.
This is a fact. Both Teins and Eibachs need a rubber hose because they are progressive enough that the springs actually touch each other. When they do they make noise. Progress does not need a hose. Food for thought...
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM

Hmmmm, didn't put a rubber hose on mine. So far no issues. You have any pics of the hose installed?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM

This is a fact. Both Teins and Eibachs need a rubber hose because they are progressive enough that the springs actually touch each other. When they do they make noise. Progress does not need a hose. Food for thought...
Maybe cuz Progress are better engineered? More food for thought
Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Maybe cuz Progress are better engineered? More food for thought
Read and learn my friend and I quote...

2. Step Linear Springs (2 Step Linear Springs)
These are springs that have a 2 different spring rate.

In a two-step linear spring, about half the coils have shorter spacing. As the spring compresses, the coils move closer. At a certain point, the shorter spaced coils touch, effectively eliminating them from the spring. You then have a spring comprised of only the longer coils. This "second-step" spring will be much stiffer than the whole spring (the more coils, the easier it is to compress the spring). The result is that you have one set of handling characteristics before the shorter coils touch and then you have another, completely different level of response after they touch. (HyperPro website)

"3. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)
In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning."
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM

And I quote from "tuninglink.com"

"Progressive springs are likely "all-in one" solutions. Progressive springs are often used on performance aftermarket kits like Eibach or others, and they are good for daily performance street driving. They help you achieve the highest performance when driving hard, while providing a smooth, comfortable drive the rest of the time."

Some very good reading...
http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/spring.shtml

Last edited by coolmax05; 06-01-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 AM

I'd go Eibach
Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Read and learn my friend and I quote...

2. Step Linear Springs (2 Step Linear Springs)
These are springs that have a 2 different spring rate.

In a two-step linear spring, about half the coils have shorter spacing. As the spring compresses, the coils move closer. At a certain point, the shorter spaced coils touch, effectively eliminating them from the spring. You then have a spring comprised of only the longer coils. This "second-step" spring will be much stiffer than the whole spring (the more coils, the easier it is to compress the spring). The result is that you have one set of handling characteristics before the shorter coils touch and then you have another, completely different level of response after they touch. (HyperPro website)

"3. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)
In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning."
This appears to be definitions from an unknown source. This proves what exactly?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 AM

This is not only from Progress' webite, its from the 04-08 NIssan Maxima application

Our engineering staff has decades of experience in the design and tuning of performance suspension systems, including CART/Indy Cars, IMSA, SCCA, NASA, and SCORE competitors. These spring designs reflect our ability to develop a successful blend of appearance, handling capability, and ride quality. These springs feature increased spring rates for upgraded handling capabilities as well as progressively wound springs for superior ride quality.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by three.fiveSE
Luckie... do you have any pics from the side. I would like to see what this looks like. Are you on stock shocks/struts?
I don't have any direct from the side but here are some more side angle views and I am on stock shocks/structs and no they aren't blown.. Had them on for about 4 months now.. This is my third maxima dropped on Teins with stock shocks/structs and they never blew on me.. I know there's a big controversy with lowering cars with stock shocks/structs but thats from my experience..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE
I don't have any direct from the side but here are some more side angle views and I am on stock shocks/structs and no they aren't blown.. Had them on for about 4 months now.. This is my third maxima dropped on Teins with stock shocks/structs and they never blew on me.. I know there's a big controversy with lowering cars with stock shocks/structs but thats from my experience..
From the looks of it, the Teins offer a fairly level drop, but nothing TOO drastic either. I appreciate the pics. I am at 85k miles and to me it sounds like the stock struts might be starting to go, so when i do them i will probably install springs as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Looks like I am leaning towards Teins, not as much of a drop as the Eibach... any more thoughts on Tein vs Eibach only? Please to hijack the thread to compare Progress with these two other brands. I finally rode on a max with progress on stock shocks and it does ride like a bumper-kart.