6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Y-Pipe Suggestions and MPG Effect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Y-Pipe Suggestions and MPG Effect?

I am considering upgrading the Y-Pipe and I wanted to get as much information on the subject as I could. I already have one vehicle for going fast so my main concern is fuel mileage and passing inspections/emissions. I take it the pre-cats have O2 sensors up and down stream and the Y-Pipe houses the 3rd cat which does not effect the fuel mapping or cause any error codes to be tripped.

Assuming I avoid romping on the throttle to test out any new found power, will I see a gain in MPG or is it negligible? I was hoping for a gain of about 1.5 MPG. I don't have a very light foot so even with Mobil 1 I am only getting 20.5 MPG or so now with minimal highway driving.

I have listed some approximate prices below and they are pretty close to each other so I don't mind buying based on quality. Cattman does not list an app for the '07 on his site but I have seen it in people's signatures. I was going to buy a Racingline Strut Tower Brace so shipping could be combined if their Y-Pipe is a quality one. If a particular manuf. will not work well with the CVT please let me know. Thanks a lot guys.

Cattman - $350
Racingline - $280
Custom Enterprise - $300

Is a new gasket kit needed? $20 is cheap insurance.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM

I have a Cattman and love it. You won't throw any codes with any of them. As for an increase in MPG, it will be minimal.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Thank you for the information. Minimal I am expecting, but 1 MPG is worth it over the life of the vehicle. I would love to get 250k out of this girl but I am not sure the CVT will cooperate.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM

yea very minimal but its a good upgrade, probebly 1 maybe 2 mpg if lucky
Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM

yeah it's very minimal mpg but performance will over rate it
i hope the cvt could hold up too...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM

I remember reading somewhere here that a certain mod actually improves gas mileage.

Anyone have suggestions of which mods can actually improve gas mileage.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM

The most dramatic mod MPG-wise was the Cattman headers. I'd be lucky to see 20MPG on my car... now, I average 24-26. But with a mod like that, you have to weigh your options... How long will you keep the car? When you sell/trade in the car, will you be willing to part with the headers, or pay again to get them uninstalled and replaced with the stock manifolds? Etc...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
The most dramatic mod MPG-wise was the Cattman headers. I'd be lucky to see 20MPG on my car... now, I average 24-26. But with a mod like that, you have to weigh your options... How long will you keep the car? When you sell/trade in the car, will you be willing to part with the headers, or pay again to get them uninstalled and replaced with the stock manifolds? Etc...
That is a huge gain. I assume you have had the ECM flashed after a mod like that? Did you have to add his whole exhaust system to get that mileage and are you still running the factory pre-cats? I do not see the headers on his website but I am guessing they would be in the $800 range. Are they that difficult to install? I've done headers on my Dakota, it was not fun but not impossible.

As long as parts are not rusted or non-functional I would most likely take them off and sell them but if I can get 250k out of this car any exhaust parts will be toast. My goal is to pay this car off within 2 years and drive it until its dead. At 43k right now.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 AM

following post...looking at doing headers & Y-pipe after my tour in Iraq. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There are better ways of improving gas mileage. As far as the effect of replacing a y pipe on gas mileage - the only way to find out is to do a scientific test. The problem is that driving style has a large effect on mileage. If you clean your air filter, or replace it regularly, keep your tires inflated (I have about 38-40 psi), take out your spare tire and tools (60 lbs), put in lightweight rims and drive conservatively, your mileage will improve.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM

I play around with different brands of gas to see how mileage is effected but the main thing I need to do is lighten up the foot. I have gotten 25 on the highway but on my commute I am only at a steady 70 mph for 4 miles or so. Lots of lights etc.

I was running my crappy RSA's at 38+ PSI but they wear badly in the center. I now have Michelin's on the back and baby them. As soon as the fronts are worn out and the Pilot Sports go on I will keep them at 35 or so to promote even wear. I care more about tire life than MPG.

I need to empty the trunk of misc junk but I don't see the point in removing the spare. As soon as I yank it, I will need it! Filter is a K&N drop in cleaned regularly. The Fujita moved around and made all kinds of noise and had an awful resonance around 2k rpm. Also, my area floods in a heavy rain.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Also, my area floods in a heavy rain.
Hell yes it does. LOL.

Loving this thread guys. I'm also considering an exhaust upgrade in the near future. Never though Headers and Y-pipe would actually improve gas mileage.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by QwikKota

I need to empty the trunk of misc junk but I don't see the point in removing the spare. As soon as I yank it, I will need it!
I have been driving for 33 years and I have used a spare tire one single time.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have been driving for 33 years and I have used a spare tire one single time.
Well I don't carry self defense items b/c I think I will need them. Better to have it and not need it then the opposite, just like a spare. Oh and I have fixed 3 flats on my wife's Liberty in the last week! Jeez.

Can any chime in on whether or not I should purchase new gaskets at 43k miles? And I didn't really see anyone mention a preferred brand. Mainly wondering if the Racingline Y is a decent one. Thanks.