6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got word today from 2 reputable transmission garages today that my tranny may have other damage inside due to the hard shifting. Even though the shift kit may remedy the hard shift issue, I am still reluctant to spend $500+ on a shift kit that may possibly still not correct the problem I have decided to put the $500 toward an overhaul instead that will come with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I can still drive the car on short distances without the hard shift so long as it doesn't get too heated. Will do so until I can save the $3,500 for an overhaul which will include the shift kit and any other upgrades that have come out since the build of the car. I still think Nissan have done their loyal customers a catastrophic disservice by ignoring this and not offering any assistance to this tremendous problem. This is my 3rd Nissan and I use to be a die-hard Chevy guy. I think I may just go back to my Chevy's after this ordeal with a Nissan. I cannot honestly recommend anyone to buy a Nissan after this mess. I encourage everyone with this problem to report this problem the NHTS -->US DOT NHTSA [PortableSafetyComplaint@dot.gov]. It certainly can't hurt. Will keep everyone posted on my results. Safe driving my friends!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Longotter
Just got word today from 2 reputable transmission garages today that my tranny may have other damage inside due to the hard shifting. Even though the shift kit may remedy the hard shift issue, I am still reluctant to spend $500+ on a shift kit that may possibly still not correct the problem I have decided to put the $500 toward an overhaul instead that will come with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I can still drive the car on short distances without the hard shift so long as it doesn't get too heated. Will do so until I can save the $3,500 for an overhaul which will include the shift kit and any other upgrades that have come out since the build of the car. I still think Nissan have done their loyal customers a catastrophic disservice by ignoring this and not offering any assistance to this tremendous problem. This is my 3rd Nissan and I use to be a die-hard Chevy guy. I think I may just go back to my Chevy's after this ordeal with a Nissan. I cannot honestly recommend anyone to buy a Nissan after this mess. I encourage everyone with this problem to report this problem the NHTS -->US DOT NHTSA [PortableSafetyComplaint@dot.gov]. It certainly can't hurt. Will keep everyone posted on my results. Safe driving my friends!
The same Aisen-Warner transmission was used in several GM vehicles also.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM

saturns, gms, pontiacs, volvos, etc. Maxima has the highest torque for this type of transmission.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longotter
Meanwhile do 2 times transmission fluid drain & refill in short interval. If you don't know how to do this then search this forum for DYI. I felt the same scary hard shifts and bangs few months ago and I almost gave-up on my transmission. Then I just did quick 2 drain and refill by myself within 1 week. (I also poured transtune before 2 drain & refill, you can also try that but all ricks are your own.) Now after 3k miles my transmission has stayed away from scary hard shifts except for very minor shifts issue. The same minor shift issue I alywars had in my older maxima that ran almost 300k miles on original transmission. This may be a temporary patch but it helped so much to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 AM

2005 MAXIMA

Hi, I am New to the site but i have been reading the forum since the start of the new year i wanted to ask you po8pimp or anyone else who has done this i have a 05 Maxima that is having the same tranz problems like everyone else it starts after the car warms up quite a bit i am able to drive about 10 maybe 15 miles before it starts acting up with the odd shifting and seems to be slipping some as well and i wanted to know if i was to purchase this part
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
would that correct my problem it states that it has been completely reworked with all sonnax parts including the oversized boost valve or would i still need to purchase this part as well
to completely fix my problem or should i just go with this part http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...A210-9000-55SN and call it a day please let me know because ive always wanted a Maxima but never could afford one until recently and i refuse to give up on her no matter what.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA TILL I DIE
I've always wanted a Maxima but never could afford one until recently and i refuse to give up on her no matter what.

Thanks In Advance
I thought i was the only one who felt this way. Very well said. I am in the same boat as you with these issues and I will be addressing them very soon. I have a lot more plans for my car this yr. This tranny issue is holding me back!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM

Hi, I am New to the site but i have been reading the forum since the start of the new year i wanted to ask you po8pimp or anyone else who has done this i have a 05 Maxima that is having the same tranz problems like everyone else it starts after the car warms up quite a bit i am able to drive about 10 maybe 15 miles before it starts acting up with the odd shifting and seems to be slipping some as well and i wanted to know if i was to purchase this part
would that correct my problem it states that it has been completely reworked with all sonnax parts including the oversized boost valve or would i still need to purchase this part as well
to completely fix my problem or should i just go with this part http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...A210-9000-55SN and call it a day please let me know because ive always wanted a Maxima but never could afford one until recently and i refuse to give up on her no matter what.

Thanks In Advance
I would not go with the first one. How can you tell the parts are sonnax parts, and does not mention oversized boost valve. for that price I highly doubt they put the boost valve in as well. the tool for that part is 250 by itself. I think you should either find a shop to install the shift kit by itself, or go with level 10. I know that doesn't help you a great amount, but I don't have any experience with level 10. Chern has dealt with level 10 before. I would pm him if I were you.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
I would not go with the first one. How can you tell the parts are sonnax parts, and does not mention oversized boost valve. for that price I highly doubt they put the boost valve in as well. the tool for that part is 250 by itself. I think you should either find a shop to install the shift kit by itself, or go with level 10. I know that doesn't help you a great amount, but I don't have any experience with level 10. Chern has dealt with level 10 before. I would pm him if I were you.

To correct, all the parts are sonnax are inside, I order this valve body and have it installed last week in my transmission. Solenoidstore seller on ebay, is actually quality transmissions, but they sell valve body from Sunbelt Valve Body Builders and as you can see they are also both located in Florida as well http://www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com/sb...1/Default.aspx and also as you can see the ad looks identical and everything came up to be $595 + $150 (core charge) $745 + shipping and comes with new gasket and very good customer service support, as they answered all my question, because i wanted to make sure I was buying a part that works for that price, like they stated. po8pimp and KevMaster, wasn't for you guys recommendation about upgrading the valve body or replacing it, i would of never did, as i'm happy i made that choice as it was just weird that the transmission only slip/jerk only after it warmed up....

Last edited by SATXBOX; 01-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Hi, I contacted them and asked and they did indeed say that the oversized boost valve was included but i do see where your coming from so i will be going with the level ten just to be on the safe side because im not sure if my valve body has warped or any other damage to it has been done but let me ask this question because im a little confused on the level ten thing they show this vb http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Nis...a210-9000p.htm then i also see this vb http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm what is the difference does anyone know because there is a $100.00 price difference and i want to make sure i get the right one so my baby can haul as% down the road.

Thanks In Advance
Never Letting Her Go Even After Death
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Hi, I contacted them and asked and they did indeed say that the oversized boost valve was included but i do see where your coming from so i will be going with the level ten just to be on the safe side because im not sure if my valve body has warped or any other damage to it has been done but let me ask this question because im a little confused on the level ten thing they show this vb http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Nis...a210-9000p.htm then i also see this vb http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm what is the difference does anyone know because there is a $100.00 price difference and i want to make sure i get the right one so my baby can haul as% down the road.

Thanks In Advance
At level 10 you have two options now for our valve body AW55:

A complete level 10 valve body ready upgraded (You don't have to send yours in) http://www.levelten.com/product_p/niss-ja210-9000s.htm $1,471.00

OR

A level 10 valve body fix ( It requires you to send your old valve body in) http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm $698.00

Maxima tell i die, the one on ebay i order was a complete valve body ready upgraded (did not had to send minds in). I didn't want to send my valve body in either due to the same problems you may had, so that's why i purchase another valve body ready upgraded, which I mentioned in the post 18, or you can go level 10 option....

Last edited by SATXBOX; 01-10-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by SATXBOX
At level 10 you have two options now for our valve body AW55:

A complete level 10 valve body ready upgraded (You don't have to send yours in) http://www.levelten.com/product_p/niss-ja210-9000s.htm $1,471.00

OR

A level 10 valve body fix ( It requires you to send your old valve body in) http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm $698.00

Yea I saw those two and i was going to get the $698.00 one but what about this one that's $598.00 http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...SS-JA210-9000P what is it suppose to be. I'm just trying to make sure because i don't need her down no longer than she needs to be.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Yea I saw those two and i was going to get the $698.00 one but what about this one that's $598.00 http://www.levelten.com/ProductDetai...SS-JA210-9000P what is it suppose to be. I'm just trying to make sure because i don't need her down no longer than she needs to be.

Thanks In Advance

Thats not the correct valve body upgrade/ valve body for our car. notice i mentioned only two in my post.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Yea i went ahead and called and talk to a guy named rick and he told me that the $598.00 one is just replacing parts but the $698.00 one is replacing the whole vb but i will be getting the $698.00 one also he stated that the torque converters go bad on the Maxima as well and suggested that i replace it to for $598.00 sending in my old one or $1298.00 not sending my old one so before i have my trans removed do anyone think its a good idea to do that? Do they really have problems with the torque converters? Or just to be on the safe side should i do it anyway.

By the way shes a 05 Maxima (of course lol) fully loaded with 99k on her

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Yea i went ahead and called and talk to a guy named rick and he told me that the $598.00 one is just replacing parts but the $698.00 one is replacing the whole vb but i will be getting the $698.00 one also he stated that the torque converters go bad on the Maxima as well and suggested that i replace it to for $598.00 sending in my old one or $1298.00 not sending my old one so before i have my trans removed do anyone think its a good idea to do that? Do they really have problems with the torque converters? Or just to be on the safe side should i do it anyway.

Thanks In Advance
It requires your transmission to be removed when replacing torque converters, how ever its up to you, but if it was the torque converter, your transmission would normally stall when putting it into gear, base on a mechanic experience he told me, but you know our trany is famous for valve body problems not torque converter....

Last edited by SATXBOX; 01-10-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks In Advance
Sometime there aren't many differences between bad torque convert and faulty valve body. Sudden surge in RPMs, slippage in gears, hard shifting, poor acceleration, and transmission lagging could be because of bad torque converter or faulty valve body. The best way to differentiate these symptoms is to take a note for cold and hot temperature behavior. Most of the maxima owners are experiencing or experienced all above or some of above issues after transmission warm-up. Symptoms when transmission is warm lead to faulty valve body issue. Home this helps.

Edit: Do not ignore to look at motor/transmission mounts that may contribute to some of the transmission issues.

--

Last edited by KevMaster; 01-10-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Sometime there aren't many differences between bad torque convert and faulty valve body. Sudden surge in RPMs, slippage in gears, hard shifting, poor acceleration, and transmission lagging could be because of bad torque converter or faulty valve body. The best way to differentiate these symptoms is to take a note for cold and hot temperature behavior. Most of the maxima owners are experiencing or experienced all above or some of above issues after transmission warm-up. Symptoms when transmission is warm lead to faulty valve body issue. Home this helps.

Edit: Do not ignore to look at motor/transmission mounts that may contribute to some of the transmission issues.

--

Hi, Ok mine does it after its warmed up like i can drive about 10-15 miles before it starts acting up my mounts are in pretty good condition but i will be changing them so i wont have to in the near future. But i will be starting with replacing the vb first that i will be buying from level10 and have it done at a local shop that i have had other tranz work done before on a different vehicle that i know pretty well i just have to wait until the end of this month so i can have a rental car until my baby is back up and running im only driving her back and forward to work which is only about 8 miles or less from home.

Also is there anything else that i should look out for so i can go ahead and have it replaced now????

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Hi, Ok mine does it after its warmed up like i can drive about 10-15 miles before it starts acting up my mounts are in pretty good condition but i will be changing them so i wont have to in the near future. But i will be starting with replacing the vb first that i will be buying from level10 and have it done at a local shop that i have had other tranz work done before on a different vehicle that i know pretty well i just have to wait until the end of this month so i can have a rental car until my baby is back up and running im only driving her back and forward to work which is only about 8 miles or less from home.

Also is there anything else that i should look out for so i can go ahead and have it replaced now????

Thanks In Advance

Has anyone on here had a level10 vb installed if so what were you tranz symptoms before and after did it actually fix your problems and if so how long has it been since you had it installed and approx how many miles ago. Also did you do anything else to your tranz other than the vb.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM

PM Sent.....
Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 SL with Park to Drive, Reverse to Drive , and Drive to Reverse Delay

I am confused. I have a 04 Maxima SL, and it has been driven by my wife its entire life. It has 107,000 and we have never had any problems. It is a great car and looks new. Had the tranny fluid changed at 100,000. We started having problems recently. The only problem that we have, is once the car gets warm, there is a delay when going into gear from reverse to park mainly. We do not have any of the slipping, hard shifting, or any other issues that anyone else is having. I need to know from experience, what is the best fix to this problem. I am carried to the Dealership and they did a diagnostic test and said no codes, only mechanical malfunction. But, I am not having any other issues. Please help me. What should I do. I have a shop in town that said they would replace the valve body, or put the kit in, which ever i wanted. Please inform me what I should do. Also the dealership said I have a 5-speed and not a 4-speed,which is what I was also confused about. I thought on here everyone said that if i had a 04 SL, that I would have a 4-speed. I want to know what kind of tranny I have. Thanks guys....... PLEASE HELP ME.....
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BOATRIGHTC
I am confused. I have a 04 Maxima SL, and it has been driven by my wife its entire life. It has 107,000 and we have never had any problems. It is a great car and looks new. Had the tranny fluid changed at 100,000. We started having problems recently. The only problem that we have, is once the car gets warm, there is a delay when going into gear from reverse to park mainly. We do not have any of the slipping, hard shifting, or any other issues that anyone else is having. I need to know from experience, what is the best fix to this problem. I am carried to the Dealership and they did a diagnostic test and said no codes, only mechanical malfunction. But, I am not having any other issues. Please help me. What should I do. I have a shop in town that said they would replace the valve body, or put the kit in, which ever i wanted. Please inform me what I should do. Also the dealership said I have a 5-speed and not a 4-speed,which is what I was also confused about. I thought on here everyone said that if i had a 04 SL, that I would have a 4-speed. I want to know what kind of tranny I have. Thanks guys....... PLEASE HELP ME.....

First, welcome to this forum and don’t be confused. You came to the right place because this forum has many folks dealt with the issue what you are experiencing right now. SL, SE, 4-spd, or 5-spd has nothing to do with this because majority of the 04-06 maxima model is somewhat affected with this well known transmission issue. Some get trapped early at 60k to 70k miles while some lucky ones can push well over 120k miles before they get hit with this transmission issue. Once the car gets warm, there is a delay when going into gears from R-D, D-R, P-D or P-R is mainly because of your valve body solenoids are sticking hence it takes time to shift gears hence you experiencing delay in gears. I am a living proof of all this because until 112k I had no issues what-so-ever but then it started from delay shifting and then bangs in gears. I however quiet this down by transmission fluid drains & refills 3 times (probably a temporary patch or extra borrowed time) but my transmission is holding up pretty good so far. However make sure to look at all engine mounts and transmission mount first, also take a look at your transmission fluid not burnt or black. You do not have any of the slipping, hard shifting, or any other issues means you just stepped into this transmission issues what others are experiencing. At this point you will not read any codes off from your car. I am saying this with personal experience. However if you let this go untreated then it wont take long for your transmission to slip and/or hard shift. Now the best fix means best money. You are very lucky because you already have a shop ready to install valve body patch/fix kit. The easy fix but may not be reliable one is to buy a transgo repair kit for around $120 and have your shop to install that in your valve body. The best fix depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy completely rebuilt/remanufactured valve body from reputable valve body repair shops or new valve body from dealer and have it replaced with your faulty valve body. You can get remanufactured valve body from levelten, ITP performance transmission, valvebody express, valvebody builder, and probably at some other places. Many folks here went through remanufactured valve body way because they are built with better parts. It could cost you somewhere from $800 to $1500. I am sure you are still going to have many many questions and that’s why this forum is for to get help from other experienced folks. I just gave you a picture of what’s going on with your car and what you may end-up doing it. Hope this was not too much to read.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Hi, I have a question my car popped up a code today i cant remember the number but it did read (shift solenoid a malfunction) so would i be able to get by with replacing it or should i go ahead with the levelten valve body. Also i noticed my car has a shift delay when shifting from park to drive or park to reverse or drive to reverse when cold could that also be the valve body just trying to make sure on what i need to do so i can do it asap.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, guys.

I own 2004 SL, having the same issues as everyone else. I’ve thoroughly read this thread and researched some more online. I understand that the current solution is to install transgo kit or to get a properly rebuilt valve body.

The rebuilt valve body route confuses me a bit, it seems that the problem is the solenoids; wouldn’t it make sense to get replacement solenoids?

Has anyone heard of the Rostra AW 55-50 solenoids?

There is a couple of links on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtesx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VnCQqOa9dE

The question is, if I get my hands on a set of these and get them installed I should in theory achieve the same result, as with transgo kit, i.e. improved solenoids, right? Or am I completely off base and missing something?

Thank you very much for the input.
Alex

P.S. One more question, since it's a 2004 SL, I assume it's not the RE5F22A, but a 4-speed transmission. But when I checked the ATF Level Indicator it has the "Use only: NISSAN MATIC FLUID K" cap which indicates that transmission is the "new" RE5F22A. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-044.pdf

Does it tell me definitively that transmission is RE5F22A? Is there a way to tell exactly what transmission I have?

Thanks

Last edited by yermak99; 01-13-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This has been a very informative site for this issue. I love the 6th gen maxima so i bought one a couple of months ago, 05 max sl with 75k on the dash. So recently my car was was doing the same the as everyone else on the board, so I was really concerned bout that since I just purchased the car w/o any warranty. The only codes that I got was the idling sensor after taken it to every trans shop and chain part store. So I changed the sensor and paid nissan 99.00 to configure the computer and to my surprise, no hard shifts or slippage. Totally different from before so I will go flush it tomorrow cause I know the fluid is alittle dirty. Hopefully thats all it was but I will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Hi, Does anyone know the part number for the three linear solenoids the ones with the green, blue, black connectors that's at the top of the vb if so could you list the part numbers along with the color connector it goes to.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM

good info
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by yermak99
Hi, guys.

I own 2004 SL, having the same issues as everyone else. I’ve thoroughly read this thread and researched some more online. I understand that the current solution is to install transgo kit or to get a properly rebuilt valve body.

The rebuilt valve body route confuses me a bit, it seems that the problem is the solenoids; wouldn’t it make sense to get replacement solenoids?

Has anyone heard of the Rostra AW 55-50 solenoids?

There is a couple of links on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtesx...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VnCQqOa9dE

The question is, if I get my hands on a set of these and get them installed I should in theory achieve the same result, as with transgo kit, i.e. improved solenoids, right? Or am I completely off base and missing something?

Thank you very much for the input.
Alex

P.S. One more question, since it's a 2004 SL, I assume it's not the RE5F22A, but a 4-speed transmission. But when I checked the ATF Level Indicator it has the "Use only: NISSAN MATIC FLUID K" cap which indicates that transmission is the "new" RE5F22A. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-044.pdf

Does it tell me definitively that transmission is RE5F22A? Is there a way to tell exactly what transmission I have?

Thanks
Those are the control solenoids. Your valve body sections are still remain untouched. I am not quiet sure by just changing control solenoids only will fix your problem forever or not. Rosta started making those three solenoids and I believe their part numbers are 52-0458, 52-0464, and 52-0466. At the same time transtar (who also sells transgo kit) sells these solenoids with their own part numbers A89428, A89428A, A89428B. However I am not sure about compatibility problems though.

Rebuilding valve body means everyone uses their own preference of parts to build SLU, SLS, and SLT solenoids. Just like what Rosta also makes above three readymade that are easy to replace. With that they also rebuild complete valve body means rebuild main and middle valve body sections using new solenoid relay valve, lock-up relay valve, sleeve and plungers. Doing this also requires half a dozens gaskets to disassemble and assemble back all valve body sections. I am not sure rebuild valve body guys use new pressure relive valve & accumulator checks or use the same one. I am also not quiet sure if they rebuild, use new, or use the same shifts solenoids.

Edit: To know what transmission you've got, just call any dealers and give them your vin number and they will tell you what's installed in your car using their nissan fast system.

--

Last edited by KevMaster; 01-14-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi, Does anyone know the part number for the three linear solenoids the ones with the green, blue, black connectors that's at the top of the vb if so could you list the part numbers along with the color connector it goes to.

Thanks In Advance
I am 99% sure they dont sell those linear solenoids hence there are no part numbers available. However they sell shifts solenoids pack. That's why transgo and sonnax came-up with their own kit to rebuild those linear solenoids. However if you check my above post about Rosta readymade solenoids part numbers, you can call them at 910-276-1354 to see they sell the one that are compatible with your valve body.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

KevMaster,

Thank you very much for the informative response.

Alex
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by yermak99
KevMaster,

Thank you very much for the informative response.

Alex
Glad I could help.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM

I wonder RE5F22A Tranny can upgrade by boost valve, it called Sequential?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got my car back from the installation of the transgo shift kit and now my car feels brand new. I had the same problem of the jerking when the car was warm, but now the problem seem fixed. It cost $450 for everything and I will keep everyone updated. Sn: my understanding the transgo kit will allow the guys to fix the solenoids.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM

We got our Max back last week after the Transgo kit install. COMPLETE FAIL.

Now it still delays/bangs between r and d, 2-3 up shift is VERY hard now and it seems to stick in gear during down shifts - when you come to a complete stop it almost stalls the motor. THe car is actually less drivable now than before. It does it while it is cold now.

Motor mounts are so-so, not completly cracked and failed yet, fluid was very black before kit install and new fluid is still black after driving it a little.

What next????

Do i waste money on multiple fliud changes? Motor mounts?

The down shift and hanging in gear almost stalling the motor is a new symptom and has me worried. What do you guys think??
Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Blackxima

Now it still delays/bangs between r and d, 2-3 up shift is VERY hard now and it seems to stick in gear during down shifts - when you come to a complete stop it almost stalls the motor. THe car is actually less drivable now than before. It does it while it is cold now.

Motor mounts are so-so, not completly cracked and failed yet, fluid was very black before kit install and new fluid is still black after driving it a little.

What next????

The down shift and hanging in gear almost stalling the motor is a new symptom and has me worried. What do you guys think??
Is your service engine light on? If so what codes are you getting?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
I am 99% sure they dont sell those linear solenoids hence there are no part numbers available. However they sell shifts solenoids pack. That's why transgo and sonnax came-up with their own kit to rebuild those linear solenoids. However if you check my above post about Rosta readymade solenoids part numbers, you can call them at 910-276-1354 to see they sell the one that are compatible with your valve body.

Hi, Thanks for the information i actually found a place that does sell them other than the dealership the dealership only whats to sell them as a pair all three together but this place called whatever it takes sell them separate as used or brand new there website is www.wittrans.com like i said they have then used for around $20-$40 a piece and new around $95-$170 a piece just depends on which one you need and since my tranz really isnt in that bad of shape since it just started last month and i only drove it for approx 20 miles each day for about three weeks and im no longer driving her now until shes healthy again also i have that solenoid code coming up im going to try and replace it first then go from there if that doesnt work then off to levelten i shall be

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Hi, Thanks for the information i actually found a place that does sell them other than the dealership the dealership only whats to sell them as a pair all three together but this place called whatever it takes sell them separate as used or brand new there website is www.wittrans.com like i said they have then used for around $20-$40 a piece and new around $95-$170 a piece just depends on which one you need and since my tranz really isnt in that bad of shape since it just started last month and i only drove it for approx 20 miles each day for about three weeks and im no longer driving her now until shes healthy again also i have that solenoid code coming up im going to try and replace it first then go from there if that doesnt work then off to levelten i shall be

Thanks In Advance
To be honest, unless you are well mechanically inclined and if you have all resources handy to tear apart and work on valve body then sure you can buy valve body parts from anywhere to replace and see how that goes. Just so you know I would suggest you at least to replace (or rebuild) SLS, SLT, and SLU solenoids to begin with. Once your valve body is out of your transmission unit, these three solenoids are easy to replace by removing retainers. According to your own finding let’s say all three solenoids will cost you $100 x 3 = $300 average price. You will also need fresh transmission fluid and that will at least cost you $80. I am not even counting the time that you will need to do this work. Let’s say total $400 if you do this work yourself and $600 to $700 if you have shop to do this work for you. This is also with the fact that your valve body upper and lower sections will remain stay non-serviced. Also you will be taking a chance to see if all this will work out fine for you or not. Correct me if I am wrong.

Instead, let professional valve body builders to take care this for you. Level ten or IPT want $700 for complete valve body over haul (I have not confirmed this but I assume they do complete valve body over haul) with guarantee of work. I do not know what other valve body builders will charge you. Any transmission shop can remove & replace rebuilt valve body for you with reasonable labor rate if you don’t want to mess with this work.

Going with transgo kit might run you few hundred dollars cheaper than going through professional valve body builder way. But then again you need to know what you are doing while installing transgo kit by your self or you have to find a shop who can work with you and I am pretty sure most of them will raise their hands off if something goes wrong down the road with your valve body.

I know this all really sucks and you will be out of pocket for close to $1k but there is no alternative then to go with this head ache due to big time fork up by Nissan. Even though spending this much money just to get valve body fix means no gaurantee that we won't see transmission problem ever again.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blackxima

What next????

Sounds like the shop did not install the kit correctly. This happened to 2 other members on here. This kit is not a hit or miss kit. It is a quality kit that requires a devoted and skilled professional to install it. If you go to the lowest bidder, chances are they will cut corners to make up cost and you will get back crap. I paid 350 for installation on mine and bought all parts and fluids myself. That is at least 3 hours of installation time. Should not take that long to do. I recommend you take it back and fight with the service manager till it gets fixed. Should never come out worse than it went in. Fluid should not be black. If it is, take a sample in a glass jar or vile, and put a magnet on the bottom of the jar. pour the jar out and if there are shavings in the fluid, you probably need an overhaul. I don't know how bad things were before, but this kit fixes the solenoids to improve shifting. Should never be worse. They installed it incorrectly.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM

OK I'm an OLD chevy guy and can rebuild a 77 chevy from the ground, but hell if I know **** about my Maxima. Where the hell is the vavlve body located (I know it is in the tranny somewhere) but where. I have been under the car now 2 or 3 times and have yet to locate it. I see a small transmission pan, is that where the tranny filter is located? I was going to pull out the vavle body and have it sent in while I am out of town (that way I am not minus a car for a week)

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello to all-

I also HAD those SAME issues. i have a "2005 SL 5SP Auto" and let me tell you , the transmission shifted, delayed , banged VERY VERY BAD for MONTHS!!!! EVERY trip in the car had to be less than a mile before it would HEAT UP and start shifting BAD

I lost hopes because every shop wanted to replace my trans due to them saying HARD SHIFTING HAS now caused internal damages (your out of luck give me $3500!!) Forget U!!!! .

I took it to Nissan and they said to replace my fluid and if that didn't fix it i would need a new trans. Forget U too!!!

After reading this thread over and over, i decided to take the plunge and gamble with the Trans-GO KIT. I took off my valve body (45min) and found a guy that would install the kit for me here in Phoenix. He too was sketchy on this kit, but decided he would work with me and get this installed on my valve body. one day later I installed the valve body back cleaned all connections properly and dumped my trans fluid ( BLACK FLUID) and refilled with new Fluid.

ISSUE IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU TRANS-GO and Motra Trans

I am very disappointed in Nissan Corp for not helping me with my claim. Car only has 84,000 miles and rejected my claim due to " way past my warranty period" and also disappointed in their part for not taking action and fixing out Cars through RECALL!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by djenvy
Hello to all-

I also HAD those SAME issues. i have a "2005 SL 5SP Auto" and let me tell you , the transmission shifted, delayed , banged VERY VERY BAD for MONTHS!!!! EVERY trip in the car had to be less than a mile before it would HEAT UP and start shifting BAD

I lost hopes because every shop wanted to replace my trans due to them saying HARD SHIFTING HAS now caused internal damages (your out of luck give me $3500!!) Forget U!!!! .

I took it to Nissan and they said to replace my fluid and if that didn't fix it i would need a new trans. Forget U too!!!

After reading this thread over and over, i decided to take the plunge and gamble with the Trans-GO KIT. I took off my valve body (45min) and found a guy that would install the kit for me here in Phoenix. He too was sketchy on this kit, but decided he would work with me and get this installed on my valve body. one day later I installed the valve body back cleaned all connections properly and dumped my trans fluid ( BLACK FLUID) and refilled with new Fluid.

ISSUE IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU TRANS-GO and Motra Trans

I am very disappointed in Nissan Corp for not helping me with my claim. Car only has 84,000 miles and rejected my claim due to " way past my warranty period" and also disappointed in their part for not taking action and fixing out Cars through RECALL!
Your tranny fluid was burnt too ? I was thinking it was just me too, because the funny thing is that my tranny fluid didn't not had any metal shavings in it, but it was just burnt. Happy to see another person got their transmission issues resolve...
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SATXBOX
Your tranny fluid was burnt too ? I was thinking it was just me too, because the funny thing is that my tranny fluid didn't not had any metal shavings in it, but it was just burnt. Happy to see another person got their transmission issues resolve...

Yea it was coffee black! ..

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX