6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So before I got spend the dough on this kit has anyone gotten it installed yet, and noticed that it fixed the rough shifting?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by dafertilizer
So before I got spend the dough on this kit has anyone gotten it installed yet, and noticed that it fixed the rough shifting?
I concur. I'm trying to get this done during my vacation at the end of the month and would be looking to order the kit this upcoming week.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM

Same here, but from what I read it appears only P08pimp has gotten the parts installed, and maybe I am reading what he said wrong, but it sounds like the parts made no difference. In which case why should I waste buying the kit???
Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cool, the odd thing I have noticed is that my tranny acts up when its cold and starts working fine when its warmed up, which is the opposite of everyone else's isssues i have read
I had the same problem.. Acts funny when cold warms up good again then my main seal start leaking .I fixed it and still leaking mind you this is dealer fixing it now they tell me its the tranny pump. I'm taking my car back on Monday
Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm thinking what he meant was that all of those extra parts I linked to are pretty much the same as stock, and that the larger boost valve will fix the typical shifting issues.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
I'm thinking what he meant was that all of those extra parts I linked to are pretty much the same as stock, and that the larger boost valve will fix the typical shifting issues.
From what I've read here and on the other websites posted, it looks like the transgo shift kit with the Sonnax boost valve would be the way to go. My question is would one still need to order the Sonnax tool kit for $285 to install the boost valve or would some form of tool kit be included in the transgo shift kit?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM

I would assume that the different kits would also require the corresponding tools as well. I posted a link in post #47 to a guy on eBay selling the Sonnax kit with tools for $250. I am sure the Transgo kit requires different tools.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

I would assume that the different kits would also require the corresponding tools as well. I posted a link in post #47 to a guy on eBay selling the Sonnax kit with tools for $250. I am sure the Transgo kit requires different tools.
Yeah. I saw that. It looks like one has to buy both kits then. That's going to be a bit pricey to say the least. I don't think a boost valve is included in the transgo kit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Nope. Doesn't look like it.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's something strange. I called nissan today ( I know a waste of time) but I did it anyway and would advise all of you to do the same as well as file a consumers report complaint if your experiencing tranny issues. After going round and round with nissan I found out that I have to have the car diagnosed by a dealership service station and report back to them. I called to make the appointment and was speaking pretty candidly with the guy who answered the line about the what to expect from nissan and if he had fielded many calls about this issue and he response was " Ive been with nissan 10 years and I have not heard of many people having tranny issues in maxima's it's just not that common" He also told me not to expect much out of Nissan if I have not had my car maintained by a Nissan dealership. Does anyone else find the fact that he has not seen many tranny issues in his 10 years strange?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM

Not surprising really, since a lot of the people that drive the 6th Gen are older, and at the first sign of serious problems, just trade the car in.

We really are a rare bunch here, caring about our cars and all.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM

bingo. Thanx for getting that clear. I am sorry it took so long for me to respond been working alot and not enough time to check the forum. I will be getting the boost valve and reaming kit real soon though. I was waiting on some emergency items to be takin care of first. Anyways when I first started researching this transmission I found that they allready have been doing this to the Volvo's. I should have just gone and done it way back then, but I figured they worked out those kinks. Obviously not. I will report back after the kit is installed. thanx for being patient.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM

I called the two big transmission centers here in town. They both were saying it was a lot easier to replace the valve body instead and cheaper depending on how long it took to install the shift kit. I also called transgo and the tech told me that it does in fact include a sleeve with it. The kit costs $149. One of the techs at the local transmission center said he has two friends with Maximas like mine that do the same thing. He believed there should be a recall by Nissan, but Nissan wouldn't do it as it would be too expensive. He also noted that the valve body could be warped in the presence of all this too. God I hope that's not the case with mine. I'm going to purchase the transgo kit and have my friends shop in Baton Rouge do it where they quoted me $300; the local transmission shops charge at least $225 for valve body install and are hesitant about installing the shift kit. The cheapest I found a new valve body was about $722 from www.courtesyparts.com. I'll buy the kit tomorrow and get it installed next week.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
I called the two big transmission centers here in town. They both were saying it was a lot easier to replace the valve body instead and cheaper depending on how long it took to install the shift kit. I also called transgo and the tech told me that it does in fact include a sleeve with it. The kit costs $149. One of the techs at the local transmission center said he has two friends with Maximas like mine that do the same thing. He believed there should be a recall by Nissan, but Nissan wouldn't do it as it would be too expensive. He also noted that the valve body could be warped in the presence of all this too. God I hope that's not the case with mine. I'm going to purchase the transgo kit and have my friends shop in Baton Rouge do it where they quoted me $300; the local transmission shops charge at least $225 for valve body install and are hesitant about installing the shift kit. The cheapest I found a new valve body was about $722 from www.courtesyparts.com. I'll buy the kit tomorrow and get it installed next week.
So are you installing the transgo kit AND the Sonnex kit? and the quote was $300 to install both?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM

So are you installing the transgo kit AND the Sonnex kit? and the quote was $300 to install both?
I'm only going to do the Transgo kit. The transgo people swear they're the only ones with the credible kit. Not too sure about that, but the kit addresses all the issues I'm having.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, I just found this thread. Can this really be the solution? I just got my tranny rebuilt in December 09. It ran smoothly for a while but I'm starting to feel the jerk going into 2nd and 3rd gear again (not as bad as before). But its still only been 2 MONTHS!

This might sound stupid but I do have a 2 year warranty and I was wondering if i can have them install this kit under warranty? I can tell them that this kit well prevent future problems...? Is this possible? Or should I just have them fix everything under warrenty and have this kit installed separatly.

This is my first car and my first major problem so I'm not really sure how to go about this.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM

I would simply ask them. The worst they can say is no. If that is the case, I would take it someplace else if you able to and get the trangso installed seperatly. Worth a try.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by KingkongNYC
Wow, I just found this thread. Can this really be the solution? I just got my tranny rebuilt in December 09. It ran smoothly for a while but I'm starting to feel the jerk going into 2nd and 3rd gear again (not as bad as before). But its still only been 2 MONTHS!

This might sound stupid but I do have a 2 year warranty and I was wondering if i can have them install this kit under warranty? I can tell them that this kit well prevent future problems...? Is this possible? Or should I just have them fix everything under warrenty and have this kit installed separatly.

This is my first car and my first major problem so I'm not really sure how to go about this.
Where did you have it rebuilt? Jeez, what is it with these rebuilds, it seems like nobody can do a solid rebuild on these transmissions. You got more time out of yours than I did though; I got one WEEK out of my rebuild before it failed completely! . It's back in the shop again, going on three weeks. This car makes me miss my 4th gen more and more

Last edited by CRiME; 02-25-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

UPDATE: I called one of the companies listed here Transgo and they said they have heard of this problem and that it can be fixed. But they also said they need the valve body in order to do the work and its usually a 24hr turn around time for them. One thing they also mentioned was there are two GROUND STRAPS that may play a part in the problems with the shifting. But all in all they are sure they can fix the issue(s) we are having. I live in Horsham, PA and this shop is located in Pennsauken, NJ.

NJ Pennsauken VTP Transmission Parts 856-488-4451

It's not far from me, but I highly stress looking at this list to see if there is a shop near you and to call them and talk to someone so you can figure out the best solution. I don't mind having my car down a few days if it's going to possibly save me a couple grand.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Update:
I finally got my car back this evening. I had dropped it off on Tuesday morning. The auto shop had to take down the transmission to get to the valve body. They ended up sending the valve body to a transmission guy to drill the solenoid and install the parts. I'm happy to report the problems I had before are gone! The car shifts smooth as butter and is more responsive too! I drove through rush hour, stop and go, traffic without a hiccup on the gears. On my 70 mile trip home, the car was even more responsive when passing, especially when overtaking a 7th gen with ease that had been shadowing me for about 40 miles. I'm more than impressed with this kit. I know transgo makes performance shift kits but I didn't think this was one of them; it sure acts like it. I give this kit two thumbs up. The kit only ended up costing me $120 locally from Trans Star and cost was $280 plus tax for labor. Not bad given how long it took.

Last edited by athlon omega; 02-25-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Great find and info everyone, I need this kit also to solve my presure issue, I've already taken care of the cooling issue. Already ordered!

I was thinking of modifing my spare valve body (the original one I took out my car) but since the one on the car now is new, I'll modify that one instead!

Last edited by chernmax; 02-25-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
UPDATE: I called one of the companies listed here Transgo and they said they have heard of this problem and that it can be fixed. But they also said they need the valve body in order to do the work and its usually a 24hr turn around time for them. One thing they also mentioned was there are two GROUND STRAPS that may play a part in the problems with the shifting. But all in all they are sure they can fix the issue(s) we are having. I live in Horsham, PA and this shop is located in Pennsauken, NJ.

NJ Pennsauken VTP Transmission Parts 856-488-4451

It's not far from me, but I highly stress looking at this list to see if there is a shop near you and to call them and talk to someone so you can figure out the best solution. I don't mind having my car down a few days if it's going to possibly save me a couple grand.
I just talked to dude from this shop in pennsauken and he was very knowladgable about our issue, he said that they get quite a few valve bodies from the maximas to rebuild. A he was talking with a few of the other guys at his place and they all seemed to agree that them rebuilding the valvebody for $450 will fix the problem, not the transgo shift kit, they said the shift kit doesnt address the two main issues with the rough shifting.

BUT---- this is for the tansmissions that have the issue when the tansmission heats up, my issue on the other hand only happens UNTIL the tranny warms up... for this they didnt have a solution...

Oh yeah they dont do the tranny work there, I would have to bring them the valve body then they would rebuild the valve body for $450.

yes, and what he was saying about the grounding straps, is they are on the outside of the tranny, so they are easy to check out, but have caused problems before when excessively corroded or broken.

Last edited by dafertilizer; 02-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just to make sure !!!

Ok.. so to clarify: If the problem with hard shifting between 1 - 2 starts after the transmission heats up (this is MY problem), then you would get the valvebody rebuilt but if the hard shifting starts when cold, you would order the transgo shift kit. Sorry about my confusion. I am trying to work with a tranny shop now to resolve my hard shifting between 1 - 2 . Thanks to Athlon and Pimp for all your posts!!!!

I just talked to dude from this shop in pennsauken and he was very knowladgable about our issue, he said that they get quite a few valve bodies from the maximas to rebuild. A he was talking with a few of the other guys at his place and they all seemed to agree that them rebuilding the valvebody for $450 will fix the problem, not the transgo shift kit, they said the shift kit doesnt address the two main issues with the rough shifting.

BUT---- this is for the tansmissions that have the issue when the tansmission heats up, my issue on the other hand only happens UNTIL the tranny warms up... for this they didnt have a solution...

Oh yeah they dont do the tranny work there, I would have to bring them the valve body then they would rebuild the valve body for $450.

yes, and what he was saying about the grounding straps, is they are on the outside of the tranny, so they are easy to check out, but have caused problems before when excessively corroded or broken.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by tutorr
Ok.. so to clarify: If the problem with hard shifting between 1 - 2 starts after the transmission heats up (this is MY problem), then you would get the valvebody rebuilt but if the hard shifting starts when cold, you would order the transgo shift kit. Sorry about my confusion. I am trying to work with a tranny shop now to resolve my hard shifting between 1 - 2 . Thanks to Athlon and Pimp for all your posts!!!!
I think you just confused more people! Or maybe just me!

The way I read the info translates to: jerking problem with these transmissions happened because the parts are coated with teflon and as the transmission heats up, the pintle inside the pressure control solenoid valves get jammed by the expanding teflon coating, hence the trouble code for a pressure control solenoid valve stuck on. So this would mean this problem could be resolved with the Transgo Shift Kit!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I think you just confused more people! Or maybe just me!

The way I read the info translates to: jerking problem with these transmissions happened because the parts are coated with teflon and as the transmission heats up, the pintle inside the pressure control solenoid valves get jammed by the expanding teflon coating, hence the trouble code for a pressure control solenoid valve stuck on. So this would mean this problem could be resolved with the Transgo Shift Kit!
Bingo! The thread starter in this forum actually was **** enough to do both the Sonnax and Transgo, but noted the Transgo was enough. I wanted to get this thing taken care off ASAP so that the problem wouldn't get worse and really affect the transmission as a whole. God forbid if the problem rears its ugly head again. It would be either a bulletproof transmission from Level 10 or another car.

http://www.enginegeeks.com/viewtopic...&CJPID=3196515
Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the clarification. There is a lot of data to look through and try to stiff out the answers! I will definitely show these threads to my tranny guy and go forward!!! Thanks again Athlon and sorry for the confusion, Chern and others!! Have a great weekend.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Today I shipped off my spare valve body to Level 10 for rebuild. At least the results from Level 10 work can be shared also.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM

sorry i was away for a while. good job on keeping everyone up to par on the rebuilds. i just recently installed front and side mounts with insert for front, what a difference that made. there is no way i am getting the rear insert in. there where some major lessons learn i will share in a seperate post when i find time, that will make installation a piece of cake. as for the tranny shifting issues, sounds like transgo is the way to go. please post where you guys are getting these kits with price and contact info for others and shipping options too if possible,as you know some of us live outside continental U.S. as for level 10, keep us posted chern, you are a pioneer in the 6th gen world.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM

I ordered my kit from Transtar. http://www.transtar1.com/

Trying to find out where to order the Transgo kit from Transgo directly was like pulling teeth. For some reason, they kept saying they don't sell to individuals. So I ended up calling the local transmission shop and they directed me to Transtar. Luckily, there was a local distributor. Walked in and picked it up for about $120.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
SHIFT_my stick

ok guys, all those problems when the car heats up... park to drive delay bang, 1-2 bang, 2-3 slip bang which i know is VERY COMMON... that was the problem in my 1st tranny... got it replace this past december with a rebuilt tranny from nissan... EVERYTHING was smooth until today... 1st gear totally went. as it went, it was grinding at high rpms and hardly moving. reverse - same thing.. nissan will give me another transmission, only problem is im sick of this and never really heard of 1st gear completely going... ****my6thgen!!! has anyone had this problem????
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cincityplayer
...... Does anyone else find the fact that he has not seen many tranny issues in his 10 years strange?
Yeah I find that very strange, my poll in this thread says 59% of owners had no tranny issues at all.
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-problems.html
That means 41% of responders had issues, I believe it's well known issue to them. They replaced mine under warranty quickly.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
Update:
I finally got my car back this evening. I had dropped it off on Tuesday morning. The auto shop had to take down the transmission to get to the valve body. They ended up sending the valve body to a transmission guy to drill the solenoid and install the parts. I'm happy to report the problems I had before are gone! The car shifts smooth as butter and is more responsive too! I drove through rush hour, stop and go, traffic without a hiccup on the gears. On my 70 mile trip home, the car was even more responsive when passing, especially when overtaking a 7th gen with ease that had been shadowing me for about 40 miles. I'm more than impressed with this kit. I know transgo makes performance shift kits but I didn't think this was one of them; it sure acts like it. I give this kit two thumbs up. The kit only ended up costing me $120 locally from Trans Star and cost was $280 plus tax for labor. Not bad given how long it took.
This is great, can you give a list of what you did. Unless it was just the kit and install. Nothing extra or custom by the shop?

You know they put in a rebuilt on mine and it's holding up but it sounds like something that might make the trannies last longer too.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help single mom with 2006 maxima tranny problems

I have a 2006 Maxima SE and have been having the same tranny problems as most people complain about on here. My transmission problem started about 4 months ago while I was in rush hour traffic I was going approx 15-20 mph and got a violent jerk this problem has only got worse over the past 2 months, the next thing I noticed was transmission jerking when shifting 1st- 2nd and also when down shifting from 2nd-1st, also slipping when it shifts from 2nd-3rd these problems occur after I been driving about 20 minutes long enough for it to heat up. Last week I went to take off at a red light and the car hardly wanted to move so I shifted the gear over to see if I could manually shift and saw that it was stuck in 5th gear I then placed it in park and restarted the engine and it was back in 1st gear again so I took it home right away. I forgot to mention that I already had nissan replace 2 of the engine mounts after this problem started 4 months ago as dealer stated this was my problem I know now its definitely a transmission problem. I have read some of the post here but I am still very confused on where to start to fix this problem I am a single mom and this is my only means of transportation so I need to get fixed right away but I just dont know where to begin, any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM

How many miles do you have, if it's less than 60k it's under warranty. More than 60k you need a rebuild.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM

OK I received my spare Valve Body back from Level 10 yesterday and I'm calling a shop tomorrow about swapping so at least we'll also have an answer to whether or not a Level 10 rebuild of the valve body is also beneficial. I do know they tore it down because they called me up during the rebuild to let me know they found metal shavings inside which were a sign that my tranny was going bad.

LOL, I told them no it's not going bad, it DID go bad but was already rebuilt and a new valve body was installed and they were rebuilding my old one (42k miles on it). Well if this rebuild works out I'll flip my semi new valve body (about 4K) for someone else to do an upgrade, swap, and flip...

From what I can see (knowing what I shipped), looks like a quality rebuild!!!

Cost for shipping with $700.00 Insurance: $27.00
(I live in MD and Level 10 is in NJ which is pretty close)

Cost for rebuild and shipping back: $620.34
(awesome return packing!!!)

Cost of valve body swap: TBD

Here are some pictures of the returned valve body:

Last edited by chernmax; 03-11-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM

So i picked up the transgo kit at a local transtar shop, was really surprised that it only cost $82 and some change. So if anyone in the bay area CA, go to Transtar in San Leandro. Just want to make sure i go all the parts needed for the fix...the box only had 4 caps, two drill bits, and two other parts. Is there anything else needed when I go to the tranny shop?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Trainer
So i picked up the transgo kit at a local transtar shop, was really surprised that it only cost $82 and some change. So if anyone in the bay area CA, go to Transtar in San Leandro. Just want to make sure i go all the parts needed for the fix...the box only had 4 caps, two drill bits, and two other parts. Is there anything else needed when I go to the tranny shop?
MONEY!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

lol yea and a phone number to your shop so others can purchase the kit from them. shoot 90 dollars is an awesome deal

Chern that rebuild looks really nice. Looks like they used bigger solenoids. Wonder what else they did. If you haven't gotten it put in yet, you should have your shop take a look at both side by side and see what the difference is.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trainer
Nice man! Yeah, everything you need should be in the kit already. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
lol yea and a phone number to your shop so others can purchase the kit from them. shoot 90 dollars is an awesome deal

Chern that rebuild looks really nice. Looks like they used bigger solenoids. Wonder what else they did. If you haven't gotten it put in yet, you should have your shop take a look at both side by side and see what the difference is.
I'll try, this is a new tranny shop I'm working with and I may only be able to drop it off. But I can still take pictures of the valve body removed and do a side by side picture comparison...

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX