6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

new iPod car adapter from USA Spec...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is awesome. I didnt know anything like this existed. Much better than carrying around 600 cds in the trunk!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ZoomZoomZoom
DineroDave summarized the folder mode setup as described in the manual section 3-1-2. You MUST set aside Preset-A for the IPod!
Do the folder mode setup one-time! See section 3-1-2. This assigns button 1 to playlists, button 2 to artists, button 3 to albums, button 4 to all songs, button 5 to Ipod direct (lets you use the Ipods interface), and button 6 will be the RCA Aux if you flip Dip 1 to on and you have an Aux (I don't).

The steering wheel radio controls won't move from song-to-song for obvious reasons. It is designed to run through the presets on the radio, and that is exactly what it does when you have the iPod hooked up. The presets access different iPod folders, not individual songs. Overall, I think this adapter is better than an AUX port. I can keep my iPod charged and hidden. And I use the playlists to sort my music.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DineroDave
I was having problems with it at first, on the interface unit itself the little switches go as follows- on off on off -
you have to unplug the interface with the car off
plug the interface face back
go to the iphone/pod under artist select the first artist
select the first song, play it for a few seconds- pause the song
turn the acc on ur car
turn on the radio
plug in the iphone/pod
should start playing the song you just had
should also say channel 001
save that as your first preset #1
hit tune up channel 002 save as #2
and so forth I think it skips to channel 013 then 014 which would be saved as preset #3 and #4 then I think you keep hitting up and it will go to channel 005 and 006. I had to reset my iphone and pull the battery on the car so it can function properly
Hope this helps
This worked perferct. Good looking out! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I might try this too.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Does this work with '07s without BOSE? The site doesn't list this radio as being compatible.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think i may have messed up. I bought the
Peripheral iSimple PXAMG/PGHNI1 iPod Adapter Combo Kit
i have the single cd player non nav radio in my 08. doesnt have a sat button. anybody tell me if it will still work. it has a aux button and radio button.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah I gotta use the tape adapter still as I have a gen one Ipod LOL
Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I just installed this device in my 06 Max a few weeks ago. Works as it should although I've had to do the "one-time setup" a few times because it seems that the AM/FM presets interfere with the presets used to operate the iPod. Steering wheel controls work according to the instructions although the Track Up/Dn is not available since it performs a different function that is not useful. The sound quality is good and the text display works fairly well although there is no way to see Album, Artist and Title all at once. Took me about 45 minutes to install as I had some trouble removing the dash components.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm debating between the USA spec or the NEO Prolink!? The only problem I have right now is I just bought the car 3 weeks ago and I dont know if it has a tuner in the radio or not any help? I dont have the navigation pack..
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM

I have the usa spec, works #1. I'm glad I got it.

The only thing is that it interferes with the radio presets 1-6... I dont use the radio presets anymore so I dont have trouble with it. Sound is good. I would like to switch tunes with the steering wheel but you cant.... text display is ok. Overall I like it, I dont have to play with the ipod anymore, stays charged, sound is good, and text display.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I've been looking at the USA Spec, which is cheaper, but what model Maxima do you have Kryogen
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 AM

2004 SE full equip, no nav.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 AM

Any one used the NEO prolink?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just get a dash kit FULL height and get a new radio.with the works like a Pioneer Avic with a nice big screen...change all the LEDS in the dash and change the gauges to electroluminescent white on black like the old SE's....Easier said than done but that's just my 2 cents....
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM

I agree with but that is much more than a $150-$200 for an iPod adapter.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Just bought on 04 Max SE fully equipped minus navigation. I also have an aftermarket alpine unit from my previous vehicle. My question is this: Should I get the dash kit and use the aftermarket radio and if so how does that work with the display if at all in regards to the radio. Or does this adapter work the best. I don't have an iPod the wife does. I mostly use the headphone jack on my samsung epic car dock to run to the aux headphone jack which this car lacks? Just looking for some advice!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Not all i phones are supported...
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Kryogen
I have the usa spec, works #1. I'm glad I got it.

The only thing is that it interferes with the radio presets 1-6... I dont use the radio presets anymore so I dont have trouble with it. Sound is good. I would like to switch tunes with the steering wheel but you cant.... text display is ok. Overall I like it, I dont have to play with the ipod anymore, stays charged, sound is good, and text display.
Couple of things that might not apply to your radio model but, in my '07 Bose no NAV /no SAT, you can definitely change tracks forward and back from the steering wheel control with the PA15-NIS interface... but you have to press and hold the wheel control for at least a full second for it to work. A quick hit will not advance the track.

Also, it's not documented in the USA Spec installation guide, but you can assign the ipod mode controls to preset banks B or C, not just Bank A. Just substitute the bank you prefer to use where it tells you to Select bank A in the setup procedure. In any case, whichever bank you assign to the ipod, you still have 12 other presets to use for radio.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM

i installed it in my 07, works great. Thought my modle had 4 DIP switches, which i left in all off positions. This gives me a little more access to the ipod. I would have to say this is a one on the scale of easy to hard.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by latinmaxima
Just bought on 04 Max SE fully equipped minus navigation. I also have an aftermarket alpine unit from my previous vehicle. My question is this: Should I get the dash kit and use the aftermarket radio and if so how does that work with the display if at all in regards to the radio. Or does this adapter work the best. I don't have an iPod the wife does. I mostly use the headphone jack on my samsung epic car dock to run to the aux headphone jack which this car lacks? Just looking for some advice!
I can only answer a few of those questions. First off, once you install the aftermarket HU than you WILL loose your stock display. As for you using the radio...use your aftermarket HU for that. IF you still want your stock display to work than you have to purchase a NIRD01 which is kind of rare these days. Just do a google search and you SHOULD be able to find one. Think it's a couple hundred bucks or something like that.

Also, if your aftermarket HU has an aux connection than your already set for using an Ipod.

Hope that helps. Oh.......if theLastDon or AscendantMax chimes in than those are the guys that know their stuff in regards to audio or electrical questions.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 03-09-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 PM

If you install the HU,you will have to buy the frame to fit into the dash properly. If you do it neatly it looks nice.
I dint want to mess with the factory look so never approached this path.
Also, with the after market HU, ofcourse u wil loose the display features -but only the audio setting features..u will still get ur ac/MPG and all other displays as usual.
You can buy PAC AUX devices from ebay for less than $50. The setup is plug and play.No cutting/spicing of wires. Use an Inline noise filter while using PAC AUX. Cleaner sound - better than stock cd player. I am using this setup and i have had no problems ( almost a year )

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Do you have a model number for your pac aux? I am looking at a few but don't quite see one i think I can tell for sure. I may just go with the aftermarket headunit route though I will miss the cd changer feature and on screen display. But i prefer as stock as possible. Plus the current radio has red leds and wont match the rest of the car. I like the orange/amber color.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM

PAC AAI-NIS2
Actually this is discounted product. I bought it like that but still it works fine.

The new version of this is :aPAC-NIS1 But costly.

And Pyramid NS12 12 Amp InLine Noise Suppressor.

If you want "worth of money " -- after Market HU is the way u sud go.
If you want factory look yet AUX " -- the above adapters are the solution.
Hope it helps.

Do you have a model number for your pac aux? I am looking at a few but don't quite see one i think I can tell for sure. I may just go with the aftermarket headunit route though I will miss the cd changer feature and on screen display. But i prefer as stock as possible. Plus the current radio has red leds and wont match the rest of the car. I like the orange/amber color.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks. I found the aPAC-NIS1 on amazon for $77 so I may just go ahead and order it and the noise supressor. thanks!