6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Navigation system scratches - Outside plastic screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Navigation system scratches - Outside plastic screen

I tried to use Meguiars PlastX on a couple small scratches on my outside plastic Navi screen and it ended up hazing it and scratching it more, it isn't too noticeable until a sun glare exposes it badly. Any ideas on restoring this?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM

I have a small scratch on my info screen and I have been searching for a fix. I found these but haven't tried them. To be honest, I'm almost afraid to try because my scratch isn't that bad and you can only see it in direct sunlight.

Vaseline Method
1.Clean the surface of the screen.
2.Take some Vaseline and fill the scratch with it.
3.Gently wipe off the excess Vaseline, being careful not to press too deeply so as to leave some inside the scratch.
4.Voila. Hypothetically, this works because the optical density more closely matches the LCD face than air. However, it can make the scratch more noticeable.

Pencil Eraser Method
1.Find a pencil with a clean, soft eraser. It must have no pencil graphite on it as you won't want to smudge that on your monitor.
2.Lightly rub the eraser over the scratch or nick on the screen.
3.Keep rubbing until the scratch completely disappear
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM

but, the outside screen that we actually see and deal with from the outside, in the car's cabin, isn't an actual monitor screen, it's an extra plastic section, attached to the dash assemblies. Hmmm..I wonder the best way to go at it...it seems to just be a fine plastic of some kind... I'd have thought PlastX would have done well with it as it can deal with CD/DVDS...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:39 PM

first off to get rid of the haze get rubbing alcohol and some q tips and clean it up, dry, and clean off right away with windex. Use a micro fiber cloth or equivelant. I use eyeglass cleaner kit to clean mine. comes with a cloth like material that doesn't scratch the plastic and a cleaning solution that is just right no hazing. You can replace that plastic with a glass piece that is easier to clean or another piece of plastic. it's very easy to replace once you have the pieces off. Look for threads about custom gps or screen replacement in the 6th gen section.