6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Purchasing a used 6th generation! What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Purchasing a used 6th generation! What should I look out for?

Hello,

I need some advise on purchasing a used (2 previous owners) 2005 Maxima SE fully loaded (except navigation) with 70K miles, I am getting it for 10,500; I want to know if you guys think this is a fair price for this car.

Also, what mechanical or maintenance issues should I address before I purchase this car. I know that there are new tires, brakes are about a year old, regular oil changes, etc. Anything big I need to look out for.

3rd) The carmax report is saying that "exceeds mechanical limits title issued in error" previously; Is this something I should be concerned about. I asssume if it was in error, it should have been rectified. Also, is the odometer 5 digits or 6 digits. I couldn't find the answer to this.

thanks much
Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Come on guys! someone give me advice...So many views and no replies.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM

The odometer is 6 digit, and digital, so It would be hard to exceed the mechanical limits. I would avoid this one, and keep looking. Maximas are great cars that are reliable and comfortable, not to mention fast! I would suspect something with the odometer issue for sure. Chances are there has been damage to the ECU somewhere, most likely severe damage at that, odometers are hard to mess up. If you go with a standard, make sure the clutch is good ( I had mine changed just after I bought mine with 47000 on it). That aside no issues that I am aware of.

J
Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I also have a few questions. I amd getting a 05 also, Exactly like this dude, 70k, it has all option execpt nav, also a 2 owner but it came out clean. What should we be looking for??

The only thing I noticed is there steering wheel does not move in-or-out, goes up and down "electronic"? I am having the shop take a look at it, what else should I look for in this car? any known problems? I am getting the auto/stick version.

Also could some one tell me where the Nebby section is that I can make my own post? and the rules and all that

Originally Posted by 02bluemax
Hello,

I need some advise on purchasing a used (2 previous owners) 2005 Maxima SE fully loaded (except navigation) with 70K miles, I am getting it for 10,500; I want to know if you guys think this is a fair price for this car.

Also, what mechanical or maintenance issues should I address before I purchase this car. I know that there are new tires, brakes are about a year old, regular oil changes, etc. Anything big I need to look out for.

3rd) The carmax report is saying that "exceeds mechanical limits title issued in error" previously; Is this something I should be concerned about. I asssume if it was in error, it should have been rectified. Also, is the odometer 5 digits or 6 digits. I couldn't find the answer to this.

thanks much
Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JasonOksa
The odometer is 6 digit, and digital, so It would be hard to exceed the mechanical limits. I would avoid this one, and keep looking. Maximas are great cars that are reliable and comfortable, not to mention fast! I would suspect something with the odometer issue for sure. Chances are there has been damage to the ECU somewhere, most likely severe damage at that, odometers are hard to mess up. If you go with a standard, make sure the clutch is good ( I had mine changed just after I bought mine with 47000 on it). That aside no issues that I am aware of.

J
Hey thanks for the advice. If it's 6 digits, and there is no chance of exceeding the mechanical limits, isn't it possible that it was truly an error.

The carfax although it reports this, is still guaranteeing the mileage.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 02bluemax
Hey thanks for the advice. If it's 6 digits, and there is no chance of exceeding the mechanical limits, isn't it possible that it was truly an error.

The carfax although it reports this, is still guaranteeing the mileage.
I would certainly have a dealership look at this car. You will pay for the diagnostic fee, but it will be money well spent. Anytime there is a problem with the odometer reading, especially a digital one that reads from the ECU of the car, there has been a problem with the car, swapped ECU or otherwise, which indicates major damage, flood damage, something relatively large has gone wrong. Investigate this car very carefully, and get a WRITTEN warranty of at least 10,000 miles as part of your deal. I would not buy this car, I would find another maxima that is for sale, they are very easy to find. Something is fishy about this car. Anyone else going to chime in here?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

J
Is replacing the clutch that soon typical? ive been lookin at an 04 w/ a 6sp, been on the lot a few weeks now and i called to set up a test drive and he said its getting the clutch replaced, it has 88k miles. ive had clutches on other cars last over 100k so this made me wonder if the prev owner ran it too hard, also considered that this might been some sort of shady-used-car-salesman-jedi-mind-trick to try to bump the price back up towards his original price(11k now, started at 13k)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by mgrett
Is replacing the clutch that soon typical? ive been lookin at an 04 w/ a 6sp, been on the lot a few weeks now and i called to set up a test drive and he said its getting the clutch replaced, it has 88k miles. ive had clutches on other cars last over 100k so this made me wonder if the prev owner ran it too hard, also considered that this might been some sort of shady-used-car-salesman-jedi-mind-trick to try to bump the price back up towards his original price(11k now, started at 13k)
It turned out that there was a bad bearing in the release mechanism for the clutch which was causing my troubles with the clutch. They replaced everything rather than only the bearing at my request, I only paid for the parts that I requested be replaced (clutch plates and flywheel resurfacing) I didn't pay any labor. I figured that while they had it apart, they might as well do these parts, so I wouldn't have to ever worry about it. Prev owner didn't maintain the car as they should have, that's why the bearing failed (boot that seals up clutch was torn). So, the car prolly didn't need a new clutch, but it got one anyway.

Are you calling me a used car salesman? I am definitely not a car sales man. I tried that and failed, I am just too honest for that, I never sold a car....

Last edited by JasonOksa; 11-24-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you calling me a used car salesman? I am definitely not a car sales man. I tried that and failed, I am just too honest for that, I never sold a car....

nonono lol, sorry for the misunderstanding, was talking about the guy that is selling the car that i was looking into. i was saying that if i went to the lot to buy the car at his reduced price that he'd try to up the price back towards the original 13k because he says he'd put a new clutch in.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mgrett
nonono lol, sorry for the misunderstanding, was talking about the guy that is selling the car that i was looking into. i was saying that if i went to the lot to buy the car at his reduced price that he'd try to up the price back towards the original 13k because he says he'd put a new clutch in.

I understood that you were talking about the other guy, this is my failed attempt at humor. The clutch would be worth changing but shouldn't raise the price 2 grand, maybe 1 grand, but not 2.

J
Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased my '07 used from a dealer and have been very happy with the car. The one thing I would mention is that some of the maintenance items can be expensive. Headlight replacements come to mind. If you are handy than you can save hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself and getting all the info you need from this forum.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I am new to the forum, and also am trying to purchase a 6th Gen Maxima. I have a 2004 A4 and trying to trade the crap in. I use to own a 2000 Maxima which i really enjoyed until i wrecked it. I found a 2006 Maxima SL at 53K with 20's on it for $15,900. There is also a 2004 Maxima SL at 57K for $11,900. I will try and talk them down of course, since they are both at different dealerships. I see that there are some problems with the '04, so the '06 would be the better decision? Please help.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please I need some experienced owners inputs.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

when your buying just watch out for all the accessories...they seem to get a little ehhh if the cars left sitting around too much. thats what happened when i bought my 6th gen. the heated steering wheel wouldn't heat up that fast so i had to get it checked out and they did some minor adjustments and it was fine
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum have a question for you. I'm looking at a '05 max 6spd. I test drove it today and as I was driving I noticed that in between shifts (clutch in), the rpms held instead of tapering off some. I didn't think that was normal so I asked my mechanic and he agreed. He said it may be a throttle body issue or an electrical issue since the car is drive by wire. What do you guys think about this?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Lots of issues to even name on the 04-05s. Stick with 06-07 or 08s for the same body style and save you the headaches.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Emoney81
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum have a question for you. I'm looking at a '05 max 6spd. I test drove it today and as I was driving I noticed that in between shifts (clutch in), the rpms held instead of tapering off some. I didn't think that was normal so I asked my mechanic and he agreed. He said it may be a throttle body issue or an electrical issue since the car is drive by wire. What do you guys think about this?
That is normal since we have an electronic throttle and not cable. You also need a new mechanic.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by RAZ76
That is normal since we have an electronic throttle and not cable. You also need a new mechanic.
Thanks for the response. I figured I'd ask someone on the forum that might have experienced this. Is there any kind of adjustment for this or is that just what it is?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the response. I figured I'd ask someone on the forum that might have experienced this. Is there any kind of adjustment for this or is that just what it is?
Nope, that's just the way it is. It's annoying at first when you come from manuals with cables but you get used to it and once you do, you wont even notice it anymore.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lots of issues to even name on the 04-05s. Stick with 06-07 or 08s for the same body style and save you the headaches.
I always thought maximas were pretty solid. What major issues are the for 05 6spd cars? The only thing I seemed to notice were the timing chains having issues.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM

I always thought maximas were pretty solid. What major issues are the for 05 6spd cars? The only thing I seemed to notice were the timing chains having issues.
Most of the issues were on the Automatic transmission. Not sure if the manuals had issues.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Most of the issues were on the Automatic transmission. Not sure if the manuals had issues.
Yeah, I figured that. I was kind of suspect of the autos.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:25 PM

should be fine. ive had a 04 for 3 years and it's fine....
Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 PM

GO FOR A 6.5...
Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Make sure it's original mileage,listen for the tensioners noise,and make sure it's collision free.Do your research.Oh and get a 6spd manual,it's more power and more fun to drive.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 AM

check the roof.. that moonroof leaks!