6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Looking for advice on my swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Looking for advice on my swap

Hey guys i need some advise, information etc.

I have a 02 Sentra Spec V there's a couple others on this board that have the swap done the only differense is travis is not doing my swap, im gonna attempt the swap my self minus the wiring (apprently the hardest part). I Still have to order a bunch of parts and start but here's some of what i have so far, i got a motor out of a 04 maxima, the ecu is out of a 02 6sp, i guess the 02's dont have the can bus system so using the 02 ecu will make the swap codeless. Anyways, i need to order a bellhousing and im wondering do i use the 02 or 04 bellhousing? I was gonna order the 02 cause i my spec v is a 02 and the ecu im using is a 02 is there a difference in the maxima 02 or 04 6 sp bellhousing? Also Im still debating if i want to do cams? Bascially my mods would be i/h/e/vias delete the spacer kit. do you guys think i should spend the 1200 and get the cams? and if i do get the cams what do you guys suggest for tuning? If i get the cam's i was gonna up the rev limiter to about 7200.. I didnt realize technosquare only does the reflash on the altima ecu's. What other options do i have for tuning? Can i tune reliably with a safc or vafc and a lc1? Also what other mod's would you guys suggest, as of now my motor is on a stand i just painted it black, heads are all still intact but i did pull of the i.m to paint that. Is the crank pulley worth the money? Is there a full pulley set? i see they have one for the g/z just not the maxima. Anyways i dont wanna put in a couple g's to build yet but maybe ill pull it back out build or turbo in the next year or so. Thanks for taking the time to read this please let me know what you guys would do on the car if you were in my situation thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mt2marc1
Hey guys i need some advise, information etc.

I have a 02 Sentra Spec V there's a couple others on this board that have the swap done the only differense is travis is not doing my swap, im gonna attempt the swap my self minus the wiring (apprently the hardest part). I Still have to order a bunch of parts and start but here's some of what i have so far, i got a motor out of a 04 maxima, the ecu is out of a 02 6sp, i guess the 02's dont have the can bus system so using the 02 ecu will make the swap codeless. Anyways, i need to order a bellhousing and im wondering do i use the 02 or 04 bellhousing? I was gonna order the 02 cause i my spec v is a 02 and the ecu im using is a 02 is there a difference in the maxima 02 or 04 6 sp bellhousing? Also Im still debating if i want to do cams? Bascially my mods would be i/h/e/vias delete the spacer kit. do you guys think i should spend the 1200 and get the cams? and if i do get the cams what do you guys suggest for tuning? If i get the cam's i was gonna up the rev limiter to about 7200.. I didnt realize technosquare only does the reflash on the altima ecu's. What other options do i have for tuning? Can i tune reliably with a safc or vafc and a lc1? Also what other mod's would you guys suggest, as of now my motor is on a stand i just painted it black, heads are all still intact but i did pull of the i.m to paint that. Is the crank pulley worth the money? Is there a full pulley set? i see they have one for the g/z just not the maxima. Anyways i dont wanna put in a couple g's to build yet but maybe ill pull it back out build or turbo in the next year or so. Thanks for taking the time to read this please let me know what you guys would do on the car if you were in my situation thanks for the help.
yeah, thats a lot of questions in 1. I have an 02 spec and had an AEM standalone from VQswap.com. I have the ECU still but am converting it back to obdII for reliability purposes. I found that using an 95/96 ECM is the route to go if you dont feel like spending countless hours getting the EVAP system, EGR, NATTS all that other bull**** that came on the later maxima ecms. you need to put in a cable throttle system. I still have my EGAS assembly, but have it rigged to a cable. Contact jimwolf tech, get spacers, and run the older equipment.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ORENGSWAPS.PDF

this diagram looks a lot more resonable if you aren't very experienced in wiring in the newer models. I would just throw the motor in as-is. it has a great powerband without messing with the cams. my friends cammed VQ spec wasn't that great on bottom end, felt more like a honda than anything.
good luck with your swap
James
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Well if your going to spend the money then go with the JWT cams , otherwise Look-At-My-Max is running the RevUp cams.

With your simply bolt ons you should be good , I would personally like to see a Spev with a VQ35DE with a Rear Mount Turbo setup.

If my funds wasnt tied up already on my A34 , I would have done this swap in the b15.

As James said hes running the AEM , your other options is the UTEC which is what im running currently.
I Belive Tonedef is working out the bugs with UpRev but im not sure how that is going.
TS does L31 and A33.5 and A34 ECU as well.

Also I recently convert to a 6spd from the 5AutoTragic Trannys of the 2004s.

Ive used a SE-R tranny , I assume the 02 and 04 Bell Housing are the same but I cant confirm this.

PM nismology , im sure he has more insights on the bellhousing sitution.

The pulley set from a G/Z is not the same ,
Im running a Cosmo Racing LightWeight pulley , not a underdrive pulley,
Some say its useless or not worth the mod , I guess thats person opinions.
If you have the heads off you might as well grab a set of HR headbolts and a new headgasket.

good luck with the project
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SER02
yeah, thats a lot of questions in 1. I have an 02 spec and had an AEM standalone from VQswap.com. I have the ECU still but am converting it back to obdII for reliability purposes. I found that using an 95/96 ECM is the route to go if you dont feel like spending countless hours getting the EVAP system, EGR, NATTS all that other bull**** that came on the later maxima ecms. you need to put in a cable throttle system. I still have my EGAS assembly, but have it rigged to a cable. Contact jimwolf tech, get spacers, and run the older equipment.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ORENGSWAPS.PDF

this diagram looks a lot more resonable if you aren't very experienced in wiring in the newer models. I would just throw the motor in as-is. it has a great powerband without messing with the cams. my friends cammed VQ spec wasn't that great on bottom end, felt more like a honda than anything.
good luck with your swap
James
hey **** dont compare my **** to a honda