6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

No more Maxima after this! Any fix about this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 AM

No more Maxima after this! Any fix about this noise?

I have spent $4500 on a tranny Nissan should have done a recall on and now I have a ticking noise that sound like lifter noise that the service tech and the dealership told me is pratically normal. I can't live with that noise and you hear it when the car idles and during acceleration. And the ticking gradually gets louder. What the heck is nissan doing?! I just had my timing tensior replaced and the noise is not my timing chain which has also been replaced
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 AM

I thought the cvt warranty was extended to 10 years/100K miles or something?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Well it sounds like a timming chaing guide/tensior issue your hearing,or like you said a lifters.

Where are you located ? the reason I ask is because if this just recently happen and your somewhere in these states getting covered by snow, that could be due to the weather.

They are sticking due to the cold weather, I had 2 people call me this moring about their 6th gen issues, (being sluggish) its the temp basically.

Also check the level of oil on your dipstick , added another quart of oil if its mid-low.

Mines ticks because im burning up oil on my old motor, as soon as I added a QT the ticking goes away but it only tickes on Idle.

Im thinking its just the weather / state your in right now.

EDIT : also what year is your car ?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Well it sounds like a timming chaing guide/tensior issue your hearing,or like you said a lifters.

Where are you located ? the reason I ask is because if this just recently happen and your somewhere in these states getting covered by snow, that could be due to the weather.

They are sticking due to the cold weather, I had 2 people call me this moring about their 6th gen issues, (being sluggish) its the temp basically.

Also check the level of oil on your dipstick , added another quart of oil if its mid-low.

Mines ticks because im burning up oil on my old motor, as soon as I added a QT the ticking goes away but it only tickes on Idle.

I thought about the tensioners but he said it was a ticking noise. the tensioners usually whine instead....hmmm....
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxout!
I thought about the tensioners but he said it was a ticking noise. the tensioners usually whine instead....hmmm....
Timming chain guide , tapping against the timming cover , it happens on the VQs and KA24DEs ..
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM

I am in Dallas TX and my car is a 05 with 137k. Dealship did a oil change about 3 weeks ago and they replaced my timing tensioner. This noise is coming from the top and sounds like lifter noise.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Timming chain guide , tapping against the timming cover , it happens on the VQs and KA24DEs ..

If this is the case then why did the dealership act like they didn't know what the problem was. Also could I buy the kit and get a mechanic to install it or would you let the ds do it?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mmotown
If this is the case then why did the dealership act like they didn't know what the problem was. Also could I buy the kit and get a mechanic to install it or would you let the ds do it?
Depends on how much you trust your mechanic, VS dealership cost.

when did you change the timming chain tensoir ? if it was something recent the past 6 months go back and tell them its making noise after they change it,

if they dont agree to it , call the 1-800 nissan # to complain.

if they were in there already they should have replace that as well.

if its something over a year ago then your pretty much on your own.

it gets pricey because of the time it takes.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM

check your oil and make sure nissan filled it correctly. I get this when I am low on oil. Goes away when you fill back up. If it is not the timing chain, it's probably low on oil. I never let anyone change my oil without checking it directly after they do it and 100 miles or a fillup later. not tightening filters and oil pan drain plug and not filling all the way. Never trust a mechanic from a dealer. No offense to those of you who do their job right. They want you to keep coming back that's for sure.