6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Exaust Sound and excess cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Exaust Sound and excess cabin noise

All,

I don't post often, but thought I would share with you some of my progress on my exaust sound (Forgive the spelling errors). I have the the Cattman Y-Pipe, B-Pipe with Magnaflow 18 inch mufflers. I love the sound outside the car but with the CVT (08 Maxima) I was not happy with the vibration and excess sound inside. I have made significant progress by doing the following;

1. I replaced the two rear brackets that hold the mufflers themselves and replaced them with better qaulity brackets that bolt to the frame but have rubber sections to help reduce the vibration making it's way to the frame.

2. I removed the the bracket at the rear Y and placed peices of rubber between the bracket and the frame, you can do this by cutting peice of standard rubber hangers to fit like washers. This also helped to center the rubber insert in the stock bracket to reduce vibration.

3. I removed the the bracket at the front Y pipe, I felt that I did not even need it. If you do not want to remove it I would recommend placing the rubber inserts between the bracket and the frame on this one as well.

3. I warapped the B-Pipe in in Design Engineering Inc Header wrap, sealed it with silicon spray.

4. I wraped the front Y-Pipe in DEI header wrap and sealed it with silicon spray.

5. While I had the system out of the car I sprayed the tunnell tins as well the rest of the tin heats sheilds with rubberized sound and underbody spray (You can find this at Lowe's for $8.00 a can - I used 3 cans to get 3 thick coats) I also replaced some of the C or E clips with thicker clips to better secure the sheilds.

6. Put it all back together and FANTASTIC!!! The reduction in sound is absoulutely amazing!!!!! I am very pleased with the investment, approximately $205.00 (Most of this cost is the DEI header wrap) I dont know for a fact but I beilieve that the DEI wrap helped to reduce the some of the vibration. This stuff is amazing the reduction in heat is puzzling how the material is able to do this?

Anyway, what I plan to do in order to finish this project;

1. When I get my headers from Cattman I am going to wrap them in DEI wrap and seal them.

2. I have orderd DEI high temp tunnell barrier for additional souind proofing (Go to their website they have all kinds of products including a heat sheild wrap for your CAI) I plan on using the sound barrier for the exaust tunnel as well as dropping the rear mufflers and spraying the underbody coating in rear tunnels that the mufflers sit in and then putting the tunnel wrap over top of the coating. Based on the current result's I feel comfortable that this will further reduce any unwanted muffler and road noise.

Let me know if you have any addtional solutions or thought's.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the info, bro. Pics would be nice if you can swing it.