6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rearview mirror broken.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Rearview mirror broken.

My nephew was a little upset for not getting any ice cream and threw a souvenir shot glass toward the front mirror and hit the rearview mirror shattering both the glass and the mirror. The dealer wanted to charge me an arm and a leg, so I went to Ebay and found one that was reasonably priced but it has a compass in it. My Max doesnt have navigation or anything and my rearview doesnt have a compass, but will this one fit and work along with the compass?? Trying to get this by the weekend so I can fit it, so any help is appreciated. This is a link of the mirror:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Your car came with the driver preferred package? That one has the mirror with compass. It'll fit but i doubt the compass would work seeing it might not have the harness to connect it to it.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM

it might be tricky because i have a compass in my max's rearview and i believe the wire goes from the headliner to the compass thing then to the mirror. does the mirror from ebay have the that little nub at the base that is the compass? on my jeep grand cherokee i upgraded from a standard mirror to an autodim one, turns out every one manufactured has the exact same wiring harness, only the ones without autodim are tucked in the headliner. maybe its worth investigating if nissan uses the same harnessing for all mirrors like jeep.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Has the body of your dead nephew begun to smell yet???

Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muyrec
Your car came with the driver preferred package? That one has the mirror with compass. It'll fit but i doubt the compass would work seeing it might not have the harness to connect it to it.
No I got the base model so that I could upgrade it without running into stumbling blocks or problems.. I guess I didnt fully avoid that!! Is there a way I can get the harness? On my rearview it's just the base one with autodim but NO compass.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maxy04SE
it might be tricky because i have a compass in my max's rearview and i believe the wire goes from the headliner to the compass thing then to the mirror. does the mirror from ebay have the that little nub at the base that is the compass? on my jeep grand cherokee i upgraded from a standard mirror to an autodim one, turns out every one manufactured has the exact same wiring harness, only the ones without autodim are tucked in the headliner. maybe its worth investigating if nissan uses the same harnessing for all mirrors like jeep.
When you say nub, what exactly are you referring to? On the Ebay pics, I don't see anything that looks like a nub except the attachment that attaches the mirror to the front window. My rearview has autodim but no compass... I thought this would be easy but it seems it's not!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Has the body of your dead nephew begun to smell yet???

LMAO... He was soooo close to getting pummeled by my car because he pushed the glass out of the car when he got out to run away from me and I backed up in it... so my right rear tire has a leak! I have to get new tires anyway but now I have to do it way sooner than planned... he is the spawn of evil I tell ya!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
No I got the base model so that I could upgrade it without running into stumbling blocks or problems.. I guess I didnt fully avoid that!! Is there a way I can get the harness? On my rearview it's just the base one with autodim but NO compass.
I know that the 04 mirror is a little different from the 05, 06. The harness that runs from the mirror to the Headliner looks the same for both the mirror with the compass and without. It may just work. If you do decide to buy it let me know the outcome. Im thinking about upgrading to the mirror with the compass.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM

There's only one connector that goes to it.

Im going to take a guess and say the compass function itself is built into the mirror. The harness that comes out from the mirror works the autodim and powers the compass at the same time. So yea it'll work with your car.

Last edited by Muyrec; 01-12-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Next time just get him ice cream lol... not sure abt the compass working or not.. it probably will - most likely built into the mirror so it knows its direction. My 08 came with the mirror that has a compass in it. I say get it & give it a shot!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM

It should work. I did the same thing to my 07 Max. Your current mirror already has the connector, as it requires power from the car for the autodim feature. So it should just be plug 'n play. To verify that you do have the connector, simply slide the black plastic stem down (behind the rear view mirror) and pull. There should be a black wire behind it. To take off the mirror, just unscrew the 1 screw at the base of the mirror. Be prepared to catch it when it falls, it's pretty hefty. The compass feature would work even though you originally did not have the feature. The compass computer is built into the mirror itself. Once you have installed it, just calibrate it by driving in circles twice slowly. Hope this helps.

Last edited by denbigh97; 01-13-2010 at 11:12 AM.