6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How To Do The 07-08 Swap & What's Needed For Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM

How To Do The 07-08 Swap & What's Needed For Install

Hey Guys,

I've been getting a lot of e-mails lately on people asking how to do the 07-08 and what's needed/not needed for install.

Here's What's needed for a complete install:

07-08 Headlights: Avg. $250-$500
(They make both HID headlights and Halogen so beware when buying)

07-08 Hood: Dealership Price $300-$400
(One of the hardest parts to find. If you can find one Grab it!)

07-08 Fog lights: Avg. $200
(One of the easier things to find, I have a pair if anyone needs it)

07-08 Fog light Covers : Avg $20
(These are the cheapest and easiest to get)

07-08 OEM Or Aftermarket Grille Oem Avg. $30 Aftermarket Avg. $200

07-08 Bumper Avg. $200

As you can see it can be a pricey modd. But WELL worth it. This and the led modd are by far the best two modds on my car. But now to clarify acouple of things people are worried about:

Do you need to get the 07-08 Hood?: Yes/No. You can get yours modded but that will take the autobody place you go to at least 1-2 weeks. If you are trying to cut costs you can use your 04-06 hood but there will be gaps. I admit i drove around for about a month looking for a hood before I found one. It's almost like your car has slanted evil eyes.

Do you need new fenders?: No way! I don't know who ever said that. But I keep getting asked and thats False information. Your stock 04-06 Fenders will work fine. No need to modd them.

Are the headlights Plug and play?: Yes. They are completely plug and play. Only thing that won't work is your parking lights and your fogs. You'll have to re-wire them. Check the bottom of this thread for more info.

How's the Bumper Bolt Up? It's directly the same fitment as the 04-06 bumper.

Are all 07-08 headlights factory Xenon/HID?: No! Be careful what you buy and make sure they are HID if you want to upgrade or stay with HID fogs. You won't lose any lighting if you stay with HID. I highly recommend getting HID headlights if your converting.

What's needed with these fogs?: The fogs are H11. I personally just bought an H11 6000k HID kit. I recommend searching for an H11 harness so if you want to convert back to stock or have your HID's plug and play you can do that. H11 harness is rather cheap depending on where you get it.

How Do I Wire These Things up? Well, Lucky for you I made a thread and will include it for you lol. Check out my step by step method of fixing the parking light problem and fogs.

Figure i'd write up a little "how to" on installing fogs from a 6thgen to a 6.5gen

Step 1: Disconnect wiring harness from your headlights....
Cut back the black tape/tubing so you can see your color wires

You see there's a black wire (Ground) and a white wire (Pos) for the fogs...
Cut them from the harness...

It's the corner part of the wiring harness....

now extend these wires about 2 feet down to you have some slack and test your fogs...
NOTE: I actually had the connectors so it was easier for me to test... some of you might need to make your own harness or get H.I.D.'s to finish this step...

once you did that your pretty much done... make sure your connections are good and sealed tight...
also make sure you test everything out

If you guys decide to get the 07/08 headlights you will notice once you plug it in to the stock harness the parking lights will not light up. In order to fix this you must take the original harness to the car and cut the ORANGE and THE RED N BLUE wire and splice them together. This will eliminate the problem and the parking light will function normally.

If you guys are still having some problems. I helped out acouple of members do the install and I'm always down to help anyone else out.
Just PM me. I live right on Long Island.

Good luck! Hope this helps out some people
Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Here you go guys....
The long awaited modd is almost fully complete

SAY GOODBYE TO THE 6TH GEN FRONT! :ashamed:

THE OLD BUMPER! :ashamed:

OH SH*T! My CAR'S BEEN JACKED! lol

IT'S NIGHTTIME AND I'M STILL AT IT...WHAT A SHOCK LOL

Last edited by thealliance43; 02-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM

STICKY STICKY STICKY
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Good stuff, he helped with my swap but there's something I like to add if the OP doesn't mind.

Remember on the 04-06 we have the side lights that come on whenever we use the turn signal. You will have to do that on the 07-08 heads. On the 07-08 heads that light is inside the head. Easy fix if you know how to re wire some stuff.

This is what I did. I extend the wires coming from those side lights to my harness(car side) and connected to the wires that the fog lights were. The ones you cut to extend to your 07-08 fogs.

In other words, two wires go down to the fogs now and two up.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM

great write up
Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Nice job man!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Awesome writeup !! Greatly appreciated! I look forward to completing my 07/08 front end swap now that I know everything involved, just need to decide if I want to spend a little extra swapping headlights and hood or just modify the contour lines on my 04 hood.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 PM

I am really impressed by how some people share some very great infos like this. Do we need to pay you? I mean, as generous as it is, I wish you could be compensated in some way. Well, God will bless your kindness.

Keep up the great work.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by awdturbo325
Awesome writeup !! Greatly appreciated! I look forward to completing my 07/08 front end swap now that I know everything involved, just need to decide if I want to spend a little extra swapping headlights and hood or just modify the contour lines on my 04 hood.
I would HIGHLY reccomend getting the 07/08 hood as well man! The lines in it are awesome and flowi n to the bumper in a sharp way...JMO
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM
SHIFT_my stick

awesome write up... im actually in the process!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slvrmax7
I would HIGHLY reccomend getting the 07/08 hood as well man! The lines in it are awesome and flowi n to the bumper in a sharp way...JMO
Yea after browsing through pics for the last several hours I think I am now 100% sold on a full on 07/08 conversion. Judging by prices i've been seeing maxima bumpers, hoods, lights. and grills sell for in the classifieds, on 6thgen forums, ebay, and junkyards I think I may be able to somewhat break even (excluding paint cost and fogs) after selling off my 04 parts so I may not lose the arm and leg I originally expected!

Along w/ the front swap, I'm looking for 07/08 mufflers since mine are dented anyway. Thanks previous owner! My '04 rear bumper also has a 4" crack, albeit not that noticeable, from bottom lip passenger side. So probably a 07/08 rear bumper in the future as well. This, along with the front end swap, will complete the full-on 07/08 exterior conversion correct?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Anyone have pix of 06 headlights with 07-08 bumper. I am wondering if it looks good, to save some bucks.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Yes-search the 07-08 front lip prototyping thread, there is a white 6 gen with them on the first page it is I believe. I Strongly recommend getting the 08 lights though- otherwise you will be slamming your hood to close over the 04 lights. Also there are gaps around parts of the 04 lights that I had to "fill" with black garage door sealant foam lol.....get the 08 lights man.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by slvrmax7
Yes-search the 07-08 front lip prototyping thread, there is a white 6 gen with them on the first page it is I believe. I Strongly recommend getting the 08 lights though- otherwise you will be slamming your hood to close over the 04 lights. Also there are gaps around parts of the 04 lights that I had to "fill" with black garage door sealant foam lol.....get the 08 lights man.
LOL I guess i need to shop for some black garage door sealant foam soon huh

And yeah, that hood is no where to be found.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM

definitely get the 07-08 hood when doing the swap.... when i did mine i just got the bumper, hood and c-mod grille to complete mine, i kept my 05 lights because i had already modded them (took out amber lens, painted, and angel eyes).... check out sig for pics
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xTeCaOx
definitely get the 07-08 hood when doing the swap.... when i did mine i just got the bumper, hood and c-mod grille to complete mine, i kept my 05 lights because i had already modded them (took out amber lens, painted, and angel eyes).... check out sig for pics
Any problems w/ closing the hood? Maybe I will start w/ hood, bumper, and grill and swap headlights down the road when I stumble onto an HID 07/08 pair at a cheap price.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
I am really impressed by how some people share some very great infos like this. Do we need to pay you? I mean, as generous as it is, I wish you could be compensated in some way. Well, God will bless your kindness.

Keep up the great work.
wow thank you for the kind words. I'm just here to help some ppl out. Glad I could help alot of members...I mean your more then welcome to pay me though lol

Last edited by thealliance43; 02-19-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 PM

I got everything but the hood. That is the hardest to find. I called my local dealer and it's 468 + tax. If nothing comes along when time comes, I might just have to go the dealer route.

Only thing left is the hood for me. Aready rewired the heads and run the fog wires. Blacked out the heads. Im going to paint the bumper in few weeks.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM

I want to finally complete this mod but I had a question. Being I have a 6th gen and our original fogs are in the headlights, I wanted to convert those to HID along with the ones that I will put in the bumper. If I cut the black and white wires from the headlight harness will this mess up the foglights in the 6th gen headlights from working?

To get both sets of foglights (in headlight & in 6.5 bumper) working correctly, will I need to splice the wires from each set together??

I'm totally confused on this stuff. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
I got everything but the hood. That is the hardest to find. I called my local dealer and it's 468 + tax. If nothing comes along when time comes, I might just have to go the dealer route.

Only thing left is the hood for me. Aready rewired the heads and run the fog wires. Blacked out the heads. Im going to paint the bumper in few weeks.

thats just sex! it looks so much better
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM

I have to close the hood a little harder then before but not enough to bother me...... But overall weeeeell worth the conversion

Originally Posted by awdturbo325
Any problems w/ closing the hood? Maybe I will start w/ hood, bumper, and grill and swap headlights down the road when I stumble onto an HID 07/08 pair at a cheap price.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Asked earlier about this wow good thread
Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by xTeCaOx
I have to close the hood a little harder then before but not enough to bother me...... But overall weeeeell worth the conversion
so when u did the hood, i didnt have to modify it at all? that was the only thing holding me back but it looks real nice.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I want to finally complete this mod but I had a question. Being I have a 6th gen and our original fogs are in the headlights, I wanted to convert those to HID along with the ones that I will put in the bumper. If I cut the black and white wires from the headlight harness will this mess up the foglights in the 6th gen headlights from working?

To get both sets of foglights (in headlight & in 6.5 bumper) working correctly, will I need to splice the wires from each set together??

you can't you'll just keep blowing the fuse. I already tried this with spencer's maxima. You'd have to chose either fogs from the bottom or the 04-06 fogs.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by thealliance43
you can't you'll just keep blowing the fuse. I already tried this with spencer's maxima. You'd have to chose either fogs from the bottom or the 04-06 fogs.
Or he may choose to run a seperate switch for the fogs in the bumper.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jammmaxx
Or he may choose to run a seperate switch for the fogs in the bumper.
Hmmmmmm.... Really? Interesting.... How so @ Jamm??/ Please let me know!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM

yes thats true he can do that.. just run a separate line from the battery bridging a switch and u'll be fine
Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by thealliance43
yes thats true he can do that.. just run a separate line from the battery bridging a switch and u'll be fine
Wait, I think you just started speaking Klingon on me... I dont know what any of that means... Can you please in "dumb man" terms?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can use a relay with a fuse on it and run the main power from the battery and use the wire from the harness as the trigger. That way you can switch them on and off with your stock switch and forego any overload problems.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can buy 12v relays from radio shack, home depot, etc. maybe 5 bucks

Connections:
30 - to positive battery terminal with 20amp in-line fuse
85 - to negative battery terminal
86 - to WHITE wire (+) on headlamp harness (splice into it, having the black wire continue to power the fog lights in the headlamp assy - this will be the trigger for the relay)
87 - to positive wires of fog lights in bumper
87a - no connection

hope this helps. pretty much the relay uses a trigger (the WHITE wire on harness) which tells it to supply your fog light with power directly from the battery, as long as the trigger has a 12(+) current. when you turn on your stock fog lights, your bumper fog lights will also turn on, the relay acting like an automatic switch - that way you don't need a seperate switch. if you do want a seperate switch, you can connect the trigger wire to the switch instead. using a relay is the safest method in powering high current circuits.

Last edited by cwkim; 02-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 AM

any1 kno where i can get side mirror with turn signal lights for my 2008 max? and smoking ur lights they fade off over time?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ray08max
any1 kno where i can get side mirror with turn signal lights for my 2008 max? and smoking ur lights they fade off over time?
NO they wont fade..
Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ray08max
they don't make them for the 04-08. You can retro-fit 2009 maxima mirrors though. Many members have done that.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by cwkim

You can buy 12v relays from radio shack, home depot, etc. maybe 5 bucks

Connections:
30 - to positive battery terminal with 20amp in-line fuse
85 - to negative battery terminal
86 - to black wire (+) on headlamp harness (splice into it, having the black wire continue to power the fog lights in the headlamp assy - this will be the trigger for the relay)
87 - to positive wires of fog lights in bumper
87a - no connection

hope this helps. pretty much the relay uses a trigger (the black wire on harness) which tells it to supply your fog light with power directly from the battery, as long as the trigger has a 12(+) current. when you turn on your stock fog lights, your bumper fog lights will also turn on, the relay acting like an automatic switch - that way you don't need a seperate switch. if you do want a seperate switch, you can connect the trigger wire to the switch instead. using a relay is the safest method in powering high current circuits.
Thanks @ CW. I'm still dont understand wiring too well but I'll give this a good. If I need some help, though, I'll be bugging you if you dont mind!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks @ CW. I'm still dont understand wiring too well but I'll give this a good. If I need some help, though, I'll be bugging you if you dont mind!
no prob. feel free to ask.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry, i made mistake. the trigger wire shoud be WHITE NOT BLACK. it should be the positive wire.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 PM

Quick question....I just bought a front bumper cover 2007, do I really need the full bumper set up from a 2007 or can I bolt up this cover to my 2004?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM

what is the LED mod?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 PM

How does it look if you just do the bumper and grill? Is there gaps or does it line up well?