6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How much boost??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM

How much boost??

As some of you know I'll be going turbo in a few weeks. Anyone know what is the safe amount of boost that can be ran for a daily driver?? Would 5-6 psi be a good amount?? Has anyone pushed the limits and run 8-9 psi?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EVESNAKE1; 02-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Also chern I know you're set up is already proven. How much boost were you running on your setup before the new engine setup? Did you have a race gas tune? What octane were you running for your street tune? Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM

what kind of turbo setup will you be running and what will you be using to tune?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM

you can't just come in here asking that sort of question without giving details about the build. do you or are you going to have the internals built? what size turbo are you going to run?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Sorry bout that. No internals. Stock motor. Sts rear mount turbo kit. T3/T4 turbo. 5-6 psi is what im shooting for hopefully this is a safe amount for the street? Im going with the greddy emanage as far as tuning. My current mods are hotshot headers, magnaflow mufflers' straight pipe, and custom intake, 2* timing advance. Ill be having my buddy fab up the exhaust and turbo piping since Im getting the universal sts kit. I dont know what more details i need to give in order to find ou if and what boost levels are safe on a stock block. So my question stands how much boost is safe on our 3.5l motors? Is 7-8 psi pushing it on 91 oct?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 PM

5-6 is ideal , 8-9psi is pushing it , after 400ish-450 rods start to bend.

first STS A34..good luck , I hope you have a very good oil pump , are you running a intercooler ? also are you making a jumper harness for the greddy Emanage ? blue or ultimate? what size piping are you going thru out ? 2.25 ? 2.5 ?

are you eliminate one of the mufflers ?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by EVESNAKE1
As some of you know I'll be going turbo in a few weeks. Anyone know what is the safe amount of boost that can be ran for a daily driver?? Would 5-6 psi be a good amount?? Has anyone pushed the limits and run 8-9 psi?? Thanks in advance.
Hold up b4 we start talking about boost whats the status on ur car I thought you wrecked it
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Also I would do a compression test and check to see how healthy your motor is , how many miles are on it ? also would I change 1 step colder plugs as well while you do it
Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Also I would do a compression test and check to see how healthy your motor is , how many miles are on it ? also would I change 1 step colder plugs as well while you do it
Even if its healthy now, it wont be in a few months... after the build
Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 PM

I did get into a wreck but getting the car back tonight. No motor damage mostly body work. As for the setup, I'll be tuning with the e-manage gold. As for the turbo and exhaust piping I was going to run 2.25 inch piping. Yes, one of the mufflers will be gone but I'm going to try and fab something up so that it still looks like I have my dual exhaust. I already purchased colder plugs and those are going in on Thurs along with my NWP spacers. Oil pump I didn't think of and I'll definitely look into that. Compression test sounds like a good plan as well. I'll ask my boy to do the compression test for me while doing the plugs. On a side note, on the other boards people were suggesting just going with a nice nitrous setup. So I don't start blowing money out of my @ss. I really like the fact of having the turbo power on tap for a nice street setup. I wasn't sure how our motor would hold up to say 5-6 psi of boost of daily driving. And I know there's very few people with a turbo setup on the 6th gens to really get a definite answer to my questions. Just want to get everything down before I jump into this. And I really appreciate all the help and opinions you guys have given me. So my research is still on and I'll keep everyone posted as to which route I will go. As of right now I'm leaning more towards a nice nitrous setup. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Vigilante,

Is this a proven fact that you state this? I have been researching and haven't found much on boosted 6th gens thats why I ask. If you could show me that my motor bend rods with 5-6 psi that would be awesome. I don't know how many have gone the turbo route and blown motors except for 1 person and that's chern. And in his case I'm not exactly sure what happened for him to bend rods. Anyhow thanks again guys for the insight.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM

what would it take for the vq35 to hold higher psi like 18,19ish?lol
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax

wrong , boost or n2o will wear on your motor BUT

it factors down to your tuner and your driving habits.
If you dont have a good tuner then expect a motor to be rebuilt in a short period of time under any boost.

I have a buddy with APS TT on his Z , tune on a Haltec , daily driven and beats on it daily 7psi ...Drove years and years on it UNTIL

He decide to change the MAPS on the haltec street tunning it.
He ran wayyyy way too lean and destory #3

Went back to build the motor now and it makes 583 on low boost. DAILY DRIVEN

Originally Posted by EVESNAKE1
Vigilante,

Is this a proven fact that you state this? I have been researching and haven't found much on boosted 6th gens thats why I ask. If you could show me that my motor bend rods with 5-6 psi that would be awesome. I don't know how many have gone the turbo route and blown motors except for 1 person and that's chern. And in his case I'm not exactly sure what happened for him to bend rods. Anyhow thanks again guys for the insight.
Too much dyno will stress your motor out , I spoke with Chern before and he said he had over 70 hours / or 70 pulls on the Dyno.
That alone will added so much stress to the motor , thus why the tear down.
@5-6 psi you should be decent if you dont go crazy (which you will)

Check my buddy Streetzlegend and his setup, you may find some more about how his setup is run on a a32 VQ35DE.

Originally Posted by aNtHoNyNoZ
what would it take for the vq35 to hold higher psi like 18,19ish?lol
Eh fully built internals 8:8 or even lower,

Mech-Tec (from Puerto Rico) was running last Sunday a full tube 350z BUT with a vG30DETT motor , it made 6.96 pass in the 1/4 mile and it was letting off before it even got down the track.

Yes its a Full blown ***** to the Walls built VG motor.

But check HAL from Injected Performance and what he is making . We supply Injected Performance with the ITB setups ,

IvoryGT @ My350z.com or G35Driver has our ITBs revving like 9-10grand All motor High compression.

Sound Performance has a 1000HP Z and so does Forge.

Base on their setups we are not far from building high HP BUT
we cant put it to the ground , no matter what generation Maxima/Altima/Sentra....