6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Does tranny cooler kit really help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Does tranny cooler kit really help?

I'm planning to add B&M tranny cooler kit on my 5spd auto cause I'm spraying nos. For now if I spray after that my tranny shifting harder until next day. So if I get traany cooler kit will it help while running nos?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Well dude, I think it would help, but it is only one spoke in a four spoke wheel.

If you are running Nos, then you should get your tranny fluid changed at shorter intervals, make sure your engine coolant is at 100%, and be running synthetic oil, which I assume you are running syn oil.

If you have already cooked your oil, then you gotta get it changed out before it is too late cause cooking it dramatically decrease its effectiveness in cooling/lubing the trans.

Here is the explanation from ProCarCare:

Transmission fluid is designed to last many thousands of miles under normal conditions. However, one of the most important factors affecting the life of the fluid and the transmission is the temperature of the fluid. Overheated fluid forms sludge and particles of carbon that can block the minute passages and lines that circulate the fluid throughout the transmission. This causes the transmission to overheat even more and will lead to eventual failure of the transmission.
Some cars come from the factory with coolers that help with the temperature. The transmission oil flows through the cooler as air flows across the cooler to lower the temperature of the transmission fluid. The coolers can be purchased at any after-market store for most cars. Some cars have warning lights for the transmission that will alert the owner of any maintenance intervals or overheating problems.
Anything that puts a load on the engine can cause the transmission to heat up and speed the deterioration of the fluid. Towing a trailer, idling in traffic and climbing long hills is all hard on a transmission. The accompanying graph illustrates just how much transmission temperature affects the life of transmission components. Fluid that lasts 50,000 miles (80,450 km) at a temperature of 220°F (104°C), will only last half that long if the temperature is consistently 20° higher.
The secret to long transmission life is regular fluid changes and keeping an eye on the condition of the fluid-both temperature and color.

Website: http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...3.asp#Figure21
Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Good information. Yes I'm running PP oil with mobil one filter. I change my tranny fuild every 10,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Tranny cooler kit couldnt hurt but you definitely dont want to neglect the basics

Last edited by NismoMax80; 04-20-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would have to agree, it could not hurt to put it on. But make sure you way the cost vs benefit. How much is this kit and how hard is it to install it?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Just make sure you don't have the heatsink type stock cooler. If you do, you cannot use an aftermarket tranny cooler.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

He most likely does have the heat-sink being that he has a 5AT. And YES he can install a tranny cooler. Its been done before.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sentinal
He most likely does have the heat-sink being that he has a 5AT. And YES he can install a tranny cooler. Its been done before.
Yeah, but not on any with the heatsink... then again, you can do anything if you have enough $...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Keep in mind that the 5AT in the SER has the heatsink and that its the same with the maxima. Disregard the comments in the posts that follow saying that it won't work.

Here is the tranny cooler installed on the 5AT with the heatsink.
I believe for less than $100.

http://http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/597129-tranny-cooler-installed-w-pics.html

Last edited by Sentinal; 03-22-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM

No. That Altima doesn't have the heatsink. My 5AT has a heatsink. No hoses. That's what a heatsink is. Basically a metal plate on the tranny that is supposed to help dissipate heat.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM

So your heatsink doesnt have hoses coming out of it? So how does it cool?

I have a 5AT ser and i have a heatsink also. Same as the altima I posted.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

The way the heatsink works on our transmissions is by radiatior fluid traveling through the coils in the heatsink. The heatsink is surrounded by transmission fluid. The radiator fluid in the coils cools the surrounding ATF. Thats why you and I have hoses coming out of the heatsink. They carry coolant not ATF.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 PM

I have no hoses. I'm telling you.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 PM

OK. So you have no hoses. So how does your heatsink work? What cools the heatsink? Air?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM

I have 2004 5spd auto tranny. I don't think I have stock tranny cooler.?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Maybe I'm a lil off-topic here, but how often are you spraying "nos" (ugh) and what shot? Is this after a track day or typical driving?

Seems strange that the shifting is bad on the day after. +1 on the shorter fluid change intervals though.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM

rohan what you have is a heatsink. You can add an aftermarket cooler to provide cooler water to the tranny's heatsink. Essentially what you will have would be two radiators.

Here is what you have:

And this is how you install it:

Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 PM

OK. So you have no hoses. So how does your heatsink work? What cools the heatsink? Air?
Yes.

There are a bunch of these transmissions out there too. I did buy my '04 in May of '03. It was an early run with VDC and Elite package.

Believe me, if I had active cooling, I would have installed a cooler years ago. lol
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

For spraying, highly recommended. Not to mention successfully done already... Last, the pictures in post 18 are spot on, however that is not the heat-sink per say, that's the current tranny cooler and cooling vanes for heat dissipation. Here's my install...

I had to notch the bracket for a proper fit.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Chern, you still have that installed, right?

Did you consider mounting it with the hoses on the bottom, and 90 degree connectors so you could just drain the oil from the front? A lot of the Z guys have done it that way.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 PM

**** my heatsink is leaking lol nothing to major keep my eye on it 2nd tranny only just hit 80000 where u pick up the cooler at and how much?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Chern, you still have that installed, right?

Did you consider mounting it with the hoses on the bottom, and 90 degree connectors so you could just drain the oil from the front? A lot of the Z guys have done it that way.
First off the fluid cooling our tranny is radiator fluid, in a closed loop system you want it filled to the top so drainage is really not an issue. If I did have to drain it for some reason the bottom hose is easily removable. Last, unless you want to drill holes through the metal frame below the tranny cooler, this is the best method of install with the least amount of fabrication and cutting.

Last edited by chernmax; 03-22-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Ah... I got confused for a second. lol Thanks for setting me straight. I need to stop posting in 100 forums at once!

I was thinking of the oil coolers on the Z. lmao

Good deal.. Got what ya said!

Last edited by Oolatec; 03-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Hey chern what BTU rating is that cooler? I was thinking about doing a 20,000 BTU cooler. Do you think that is a bit much for a NA vehicle? I am also doing an oil cooler and thermostat change out. Found a Mishimoto thermostat that opens about 28 degrees before OEM. Should help out alot. My goal is to get tranny down to about 150 degree operating temp and the engine at least 30 degrees cooler than current temp.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Ohh and as far as the heat sink cooler ordeal, the one pictured above is not the heat sink cooler. The heat sink cooler does not have coolant lines to it. The whole reason behind being a heat sink is to draw heat and cool off quickly. Heat sinks are used on top of processors in a Computer. Trust me there is no coolant running through your computer and those processors get hot fast. Hotter than the tranny I am sure. The reason they don't work on our car is because the heat sink location only touches a small portion of the tranny. If the casing was made of the same material as a heat sink then it would work alot better.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Hey chern what BTU rating is that cooler? I was thinking about doing a 20,000 BTU cooler. Do you think that is a bit much for a NA vehicle? I am also doing an oil cooler and thermostat change out. Found a Mishimoto thermostat that opens about 28 degrees before OEM. Should help out alot. My goal is to get tranny down to about 150 degree operating temp and the engine at least 30 degrees cooler than current temp.
B & M SuperCooler Tranny Cooler Part Number #70266 which is rated at 20,500 BTU. IMO for our Hot Tranny and what your stated goal is it's perfect and fits...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 AM

how hard is the install and how much can i get this. would this be an ideal setup for just daily driving?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

po8pimp and Oolatec...I was under the impression that Nissan only made two types of cooling systems for the transmission. The traditional way which sends ATF to a specific area in the radiator, and the way that I illustrated above, which is coolant flowing through the coils of a heatsink located inside the ATF.

So now I'm confused. Do you guys have a picture to the type of heatsink that your describing? The one that dissipates heat into the atmosphere. A FSM diagram will do or even a photo.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM

po8pimp and Oolatec...I was under the impression that Nissan only made two types of cooling systems for the transmission. The traditional way which sends ATF to a specific area in the radiator, and the way that I illustrated above, which is coolant flowing through the coils of a heatsink located inside the ATF.

So now I'm confused. Do you guys have a picture to the type of heatsink that your describing? The one that dissipates heat into the atmosphere. A FSM diagram will do or even a photo.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Never bothered getting a pic. All it is is just a chunk of metal on the tranny casing. Maybe I'm not describing it perfectly, but that's all it really is. A passive type of cooling, instead of active (with coolant/hoses etc).
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Damn so there are more than two types?

The one on my car is the one that has coolant flowing through the metal coils. Which makes it a heatsink, no? It cools the ATF surrounding the coils and transfers the heat onto the coolant. (heat transfer)

Does anyone have a diagram or pic of the passive cooler?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Damn so there are more than two types?

The one on my car is the one that has coolant flowing through the metal coils. Which makes it a heatsink, no? It cools the ATF surrounding the coils and transfers the heat onto the coolant. (heat transfer)

Does anyone have a diagram or pic of the passive cooler?
The diagram pictured in Post #18 is the normal tranny cooler found on the 04 5spd automatic, the word heatsink was added but that is not a heatsink that is the passive closed loop cooler running radiator fluid through it that cools the ATF fluid (or trys too) and the heat is disipated through the cooling vanes around the drum. Here's a picture of it:

Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM

The reason the word heatsink was added was because Stillen uses the word when mentioning their cooler. And I believe somewhere in the FSM its also mentioned as a heatsink. I just dont have the FSM right now.
A heatsink does not have to be like one that you would find on a computer chip. I think ours can be considered a water cooled heatsink. There are a different types of heatsinks.

So the picture you posted is the air cooled version? What do the coolant lines do that are running in/out of it?

Here is a closeup of the water one in the above post. Taken from a post by you.

Last edited by Sentinal; 03-23-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Good pic Chern!

Now, to the OP... if you can, definitely add a cooler!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM

So oolatec...that cant be the one you have. That one has coolant lines that run in/out of it. I still want to see a pic of the one you mentioned that has no lines. ("I have no hoses. I'm telling you.")

Edit: And i'm not trying to start an argument. Just want to see the other type that I didn't know about.

Last edited by Sentinal; 03-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM

The reason the word heatsink was added was because Stillen uses the word when mentioning their cooler. And I believe somewhere in the FSM its also mentioned as a heatsink. I just dont have the FSM right now.
A heatsink does not have to be like one that you would find on a computer chip. I think ours can be considered a water cooled heatsink. There are a different types of heatsinks.

So the picture you posted is the air cooled version? What do the coolant lines do that are running in/out of it?

Here is a closeup of the water one in the above post. Taken from a post by you.

Yeah and I made a phone call to Stillen last year asking them for a diagram because I almost bought the Stillen cooler. Stillen was nice enough to send it and low and behold the diagram they sent me was for a 5.5 Gen. I then sent them the correct diagram like in Post #18 and mentioned the Heats-ink on the 05 and above. Since I don't have a heat-sink my only conclusion based on the pictures and diagrams is that it is NOT the heat sink model depicted but a normal closed loop radiator cooled tranny cooler that air flows around the veins to dissipate heat (like you stated, similar to a computer).

Again the adding of the word Heat-sink is not true for both types and as you can see by this thread, people are getting confused and think their are more than 2 types which their are not (Year 2004-2006). I have not seen what a CVT looks like so not counting years 2007-2008.

And I'm not sure why installing a cooler would affect even a model with a Heat-sink because the point is to make the tranny run cooler thus keeping your heat-sink opened or closed (based on design). Someone with a heat-sink should chime in for feedback on this question...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deviation
Maybe I'm a lil off-topic here, but how often are you spraying "nos" (ugh) and what shot? Is this after a track day or typical driving?

Seems strange that the shifting is bad on the day after. +1 on the shorter fluid change intervals though.

75 shot w/o warmer kit n it my street car so I spray on the street but I haven't spraying it for almost 2 month I got this kit put in summer n I haven't drove the car for 2 month in past cause I went out of country. After I came back we spary 30-50 shot maybe 5 time n after we went to 75 shot 5 time. Later I haven't been sparying lately cause I'm worry about tranny shifting rough after u spray nos. I don't think I have stock tranny cooler kit.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Yeah and I made a phone call to Stillen last year asking them for a diagram because I almost bought the Stillen cooler. Stillen was nice enough to send it and low and behold the diagram they sent me was for a 5.5 Gen. I then sent them the correct diagram like in Post #18 and mentioned the Heats-ink on the 05 and above. Since I don't have a heat-sink my only conclusion based on the pictures and diagrams is that it is NOT the heat sink model depicted but a normal closed loop radiator cooled tranny cooler that air flows around the veins to dissipate heat (like you stated, similar to a computer).

Again the adding of the word Heat-sink is not true for both types and as you can see by this thread, people are getting confused and think their are more than 2 types which their are not (Year 2004-2006). I have not seen what a CVT looks like so not counting years 2007-2008.

And I'm not sure why installing a cooler would affect even a model with a Heat-sink because the point is to make the tranny run cooler thus keeping your heat-sink opened or closed (based on design). Someone with a heat-sink should chime in for feedback on this question...
I myself am confused. Because oolatec mentioned that he was sure that his transmission had a heatsink (no lines running in/out). I haven't been able to find a diagram or any information about the one he mentioned. I knew about the two types.
1. traditional cooler used by the 4AT (ATF into a tank inside radiator)
2. heatsink type cooler used by the 5AT (coolant into coils inside tranny fluid)

In conclusion, I believe both versions can have an aux cooler. Either you cool the ATF directly or you cool the water going into the coils.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM

I myself am confused. Because oolatec mentioned that he was sure that his transmission had a heatsink (no lines running in/out). I haven't been able to find a diagram or any information about the one he mentioned. I knew about the two types.
1. traditional cooler used by the 4AT (ATF into a tank inside radiator)
2. heatsink type cooler used by the 5AT (coolant into coils inside tranny fluid)

In conclusion, I believe both versions can have an aux cooler. Either you cool the ATF directly or you cool the water going into the coils.
Some of the earlier model 04 SE's (I bought mine in Aug 2003) have the 5spd AT (Most of the early 04 SL's had the 4spd AT). Around April 2004 when the later models were coming out with Traction Control the Heat Sink was added. Mine does not have a heat sink and it also has something to do with the design of the late 04 and 05 tranny design.

I also found this out when I had my tranny rebuilt, found a nice deal on a low mileage 05 tranny and was told based on my VIN# my 04 and the 05 were not interchangeable even though both were 5spd AT for the SE, so I did a master rebuild on my 04 instead.

Last edited by chernmax; 03-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM

I have a 2004 SL 5at and was about to install a B&M external cooler, as in post # 18.

But as stated in the above posts, it is coolant that passes through the stock ATF cooler.

The path of the coolant that passes through the ATF cooler, is going to be re-directed and thus extended.

Not only is the cooling system capacity increased, but by increasing the path, I believe the water pump has to work harder to pump the coolant further.

It is an excellent idea, but I just cannot risk my water pump blowing or my heater core.

I have 125K on my stock 04 max and am not mechanically inclined to change out the water pump.

Should anything go wrong I know the dealer will want to do the chains and tensioners TSB.

I would not hesitate If I had the traditional set up of ATF flowing through a tank at the bottom of the radiator, but I don’t.

If you guys have any success stories of this setup working on a stock Maxima, please share your thoughts.

Sorry to sound negative but this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by MikAus; 03-23-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Does tranny cooler kit really help?