6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

cheaper cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

cheaper cold air intake?

Does anyone know of a cold air intake that is good, but doesnt run $250 or more? I would like to get one, but just dont want to spend that much.

Also, if I were to choose one or the other, K&N or AEM? I am very new to all this stuff. I know engine basics and stuff pretty well, but I have never really done performance mods, so i am trying to start learning all this stuff. thanks everyone.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check the classified section here, someone is always selling something good. I also watch Craig's list, even Ebay.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM

where is the classified section?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Scroll down on the main forums page.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-2004-2008-56/
Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Fujita's are only $186 shipped.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo4life07
Fujita's are only $186 shipped.
But he wants something that's good!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
But he wants something that's good!
im sorry we cant measure up to your intake made of Gold! hahaha. I LOVE my Fujita.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM

INTAKES :

Fujita intake Fujita Cold Air Intake by Fujita
Injen intake Nissan Maxima Injen Intake
Nismo intake Nismo Cold Air Intake 05-08 Maxima
R2C intake Cattman Performance ( I was told that Cattman sell them, please contact Brian )
K&N intake K&N High Performance Maxima Intake (2004-2008)
AEM intake Nissan Maxima AEM Air Cold Air Intake - 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima - AEM Air A1821549B
Weapon R intake Nissan Maxima Weapon R Performance Air Intake
Cosmo Racing intake Street Tuning, BMW Performance Parts, HONDA Performance Parts, Auto Parts - COSMO Racing Online
Takeda intake Nissan Maxima Air Intake Kits & Engine Performance Parts - Takeda USA Link Air Intake Nissan Maxima 3.5L V6 04-08 Free Shipping!!!
TopSpeed intake TOP SPEED AUTO ACCESSORIES, INC.
Airiad Drop in Filter Nissan Maxima Weapon R Performance Air Intake
K&N Drop in Filter MyNismo.com - K&N Replacement Filters

Link from here http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/f89/bolt...t-price-15074/
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM

im sorry we cant measure up to your intake made of Gold! hahaha. I LOVE my Fujita.
LMAO I'm just bustin' chops!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Yea that gold intake must of been really special... made him trade in his maxima

Anyway..... you can find a used fujita for like $120 Shipped. Best Bet.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 AM

I got the Fujita, very good intake. I will be selling it at some point and trying the intake of gold (lol) probably about mid track season, see if it makes any difference.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM

I got the gold, I love it. (Thats the R2C guy, not under $250)
Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 PM

hey nickelbn1 you have pm.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
LMAO I'm just bustin' chops!
LOL, its all good, i am too!

I love how the "intake made of Gold" comment caught on.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
NOT INVITED TO MAXUS 2010

3'' homemade intake into fender wall. cheapest and highest HP gains. period. also you get to paint it any color you want.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by stockmaximaFTW
3'' homemade intake into fender wall. cheapest and highest HP gains. period. also you get to paint it any color you want.
Including a 3" MAF housing will negate the term 'cheap'.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
NOT INVITED TO MAXUS 2010

not if you make it out of PVC which is less prone to heatsoak then aluminum or any type of metal. Also if you're really serious about it cover the pvc with insulation. Granted you have to get a little creative about mounting the maf onto the PVC but it's VERY doable. Obviously at the end of the PVC you would want a large velocity stack and a good sized filter.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by stockmaximaFTW
not if you make it out of PVC which is less prone to heatsoak then aluminum or any type of metal. Also if you're really serious about it cover the pvc with insulation. Granted you have to get a little creative about mounting the maf onto the PVC but it's VERY doable. Obviously at the end of the PVC you would want a large velocity stack and a good sized filter.
Can we get some pics of the said "cheapest and highest HP gains" intake? Very interested.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 AM

will installing a cold air intake onto a stock maxima make a difference in the sound of the car? is so, how much difference.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 AM

No sound change at low rpm. Sweet growl at aprox 3400rpms ----> redline. Check it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwl1WltJW3I
Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 AM

I have a Fujita but I found a cheap one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Nice thing for you guys is that your MAF sensor is identical to the Z33, so MAF housing options are plentiful.

I still don't understand why you guys don't do UTEC far more often.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM

bang for buck, the F5 is the best IMHO
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by 07 black max
I have a Fujita but I found a cheap one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07...Q5fAccessories
You get what you pay for. Unless the filter on that can be changed, then maybe its a deal.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Nice thing for you guys is that your MAF sensor is identical to the Z33, so MAF housing options are plentiful.

I still don't understand why you guys don't do UTEC far more often.

Not enough skillz here. I don't even know what a Z33 is. and don't own a UTEC.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ahh yes, Z33 = 350Z chassis code, i.e. A34.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Fujita FTW!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 AM

I have an Autozone Spectre intake. Works great and sounds amazing. Cost about $70 total. I will post pics of it later. http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...need-help.html scroll down and find my post. I don't know if the pics are working because this computer blocks photobucket pics, but I will check this when I get home in 4 hours and see if it works.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Necrobump!

Hey guys I just joined today and am looking into installing a CAI. My friend says he can make one for about $50, like he did with my other friend's Cobalt. How would a homemade intake compare to a brand one performance-wise and sound-wise? Should I just get a Fujita or something instead or go with my friend?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Check out LKQ if search maxima and altima v6 every now and again you should be able to find out if your willing to wait. I got a AEM CAI for a little over $65 great shape.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Gonna pretty much be all the same. Pipes are pipes. The difference maker is the filter itself.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 AM

For example, an old setup I experimented with years ago before I discovered the org.....

PVC piping

The car has since been semi restored so dont let the dinginess get to you
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 AM

dude, all cai are created equal. there is absolutely no difference in cai except for the filter. the filter is the part you need to worry yourself with nothing else. all these brand name cai are waste of money.

the only exception is when a company creates a cai with a formula they use to match engine displacement with the volume inside the tubes for some suctioning effect "or sweet spot" that is supposed to give it more power then a regular cai, however i haven't seen this done for a VERY long time. probably because it didn't generate enough extra power or ANY extra for that matter then the research and development it took to comprise a cai that fit a vehicle WITH the exact volume in which it needs to complete the formula ect...

so again, if you used gutter hose, hot glue, and a nice filter, you wouldn't be out any hp that someone with a 400 dollar cai would have. lots of people will get mad with this because their Benjamins are now in someone elses hands, but its logic use that brain and stop reading the sales pitch. just because the piping is brushed, alloyed, plated ect.. doesn't do jack for the performance. think about it, the point of a cai is to;
A) breathe better, which is why i say the filter is what to worry about (20 bucks) and
B) to gather cold air in a spot on your car where cold air is accessible (60 bucks from ebay), THATS IT!! there is nothing else that a cai intake does functional wise. and for the vacuum hose inlets, as long as you have them in the piping there's no difference between brand name and gutter hose. brand name doesn't "increase" suction because the piping is "aerospace-grade T-6061 billet aluminum" what sales b.s. that is. AEROSPACE-GRADE "T-BUNCH OF NUMBERS NONE KNOWS" whooooooaaah...
you don't need to spend over 200 bucks for this, complete waste of money.

so i would say go with ebay all the way, and get a filter from autozone. make sure the filter has the concave nose. this give more filter surface area. the more surface area, the more breathable. the blue and red ones they sell at kragen or autozone are awesome, so are the foam ones. the foam ones are the most breathable you can possibly get, but i wouldn't bet money on how well they filter fine particles, you need to clean them alot more often too.

i would suggest the short ram. they seem to get better power (think in terms of a straw. take a straw and suck air through it as fast as you can, now, cut that straw in half and repeat, it will be WAY easier to suck the air through. Cut it in half again, and you will have an even EASIER time sucking air through) believe it or not, friction occurs in both air intakes and exhaust piping. this is why exhaust goes larger diameter for better performance and why a thing called back pressure exists. its due to friction and nothing else. every inch generates more friction in your air intake. so the shorter the better.

also i think short rams sound better. the engine noise doesn't need to travel, reverberating longer and distorting the sound before it exits the end of the pipe and into your ear. just make sure you buy shielding, or make your own and gut the stock air box from inside the fender so air is freely accessible

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-10-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't know if I am the only one but i got the cheapo CAI off ebay that was something like $60 shipped and it sounds BOSS... It has that big metal filter that can be washed.. doesn't need to be oiled.. however the bracket/arm thing broke that attached to the fender wall from engine movement so I had to jbweld that **** back on and add some kind of rubber when I re-attach it. I might get a new one but this one is holding up pretty well for now..

I can't find the review on this one or the brand name but I remember it being briefly posted here and on some other maxima forums with a more thorough review.

How often do you guys clean your filters?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I've got the best filter on the market for sale in classifieds. R2C!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
I don't know if I am the only one but i got the cheapo CAI off ebay that was something like $60 shipped and it sounds BOSS... It has that big metal filter that can be washed.. doesn't need to be oiled.. however the bracket/arm thing broke that attached to the fender wall from engine movement so I had to jbweld that **** back on and add some kind of rubber when I re-attach it. I might get a new one but this one is holding up pretty well for now..

I can't find the review on this one or the brand name but I remember it being briefly posted here and on some other maxima forums with a more thorough review.

How often do you guys clean your filters?

haha jbweld that *** back on... hilarious. yeah i never put the bracket on my last car, i just let it sit where it wanted to sit, gave me no problems in the 5 years i owned it.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Is the r2c a velocity stack?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 AM

Do these CAIs affect gas mileage? Worse? Stays roughly the same?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
dude, all cai are created equal. there is absolutely no difference in cai except for the filter. the filter is the part you need to worry yourself with nothing else. all these brand name cai are waste of money.

the only exception is when a company creates a cai with a formula they use to match engine displacement with the volume inside the tubes for some suctioning effect "or sweet spot" that is supposed to give it more power then a regular cai, however i haven't seen this done for a VERY long time. probably because it didn't generate enough extra power or ANY extra for that matter then the research and development it took to comprise a cai that fit a vehicle WITH the exact volume in which it needs to complete the formula ect...

so again, if you used gutter hose, hot glue, and a nice filter, you wouldn't be out any hp that someone with a 400 dollar cai would have. lots of people will get mad with this because their Benjamins are now in someone elses hands, but its logic use that brain and stop reading the sales pitch. just because the piping is brushed, alloyed, plated ect.. doesn't do jack for the performance. think about it, the point of a cai is to;
A) breathe better, which is why i say the filter is what to worry about (20 bucks) and
B) to gather cold air in a spot on your car where cold air is accessible (60 bucks from ebay), THATS IT!! there is nothing else that a cai intake does functional wise. and for the vacuum hose inlets, as long as you have them in the piping there's no difference between brand name and gutter hose. brand name doesn't "increase" suction because the piping is "aerospace-grade T-6061 billet aluminum" what sales b.s. that is. AEROSPACE-GRADE "T-BUNCH OF NUMBERS NONE KNOWS" whooooooaaah...
you don't need to spend over 200 bucks for this, complete waste of money.

so i would say go with ebay all the way, and get a filter from autozone. make sure the filter has the concave nose. this give more filter surface area. the more surface area, the more breathable. the blue and red ones they sell at kragen or autozone are awesome, so are the foam ones. the foam ones are the most breathable you can possibly get, but i wouldn't bet money on how well they filter fine particles, you need to clean them alot more often too.

i would suggest the short ram. they seem to get better power (think in terms of a straw. take a straw and suck air through it as fast as you can, now, cut that straw in half and repeat, it will be WAY easier to suck the air through. Cut it in half again, and you will have an even EASIER time sucking air through) believe it or not, friction occurs in both air intakes and exhaust piping. this is why exhaust goes larger diameter for better performance and why a thing called back pressure exists. its due to friction and nothing else. every inch generates more friction in your air intake. so the shorter the better.

also i think short rams sound better. the engine noise doesn't need to travel, reverberating longer and distorting the sound before it exits the end of the pipe and into your ear. just make sure you buy shielding, or make your own and gut the stock air box from inside the fender so air is freely accessible
This guy really knows his shiz.

Quick Reply: cheaper cold air intake?