6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

winding CVT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM

winding CVT

ok so today when i was driving i heard my cvt tranny do a winding noise. it only happened while it was in shift tronic mode. has this ever happened to anyone? im a little worried cuz its never made that sound before
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM

Strange...in shift-tronic. It is locked into gear until you change it. Are you saying that it is winding when at that specific point when you change gears? Or are you saying that it is winding as you increase rpms in gear, like a supercharger does, going 4000-6000rpm?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM

If it is a problem it should be covered.

Isn't there like a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the CVT?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
Strange...in shift-tronic. It is locked into gear until you change it. Are you saying that it is winding when at that specific point when you change gears? Or are you saying that it is winding as you increase rpms in gear, like a supercharger does, going 4000-6000rpm?
oh sorry i didnt explain that part. yes its when u increase the rpms. from 3krpms to 6.5krpms. at first i thought it was a loose belt but it only does it while on dhift mode so i doubt it

Originally Posted by BOOTZ
If it is a problem it should be covered.

Isn't there like a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the CVT?
im sure there is. but my maxima only has 33.5k(just hit that today) miles
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
Actually there are no gears in a CVT, its just 2 cylinders connected by a giant rubber band.
Did you check to see if you have enough fluid in your tranny. But in some cases that is kind of normal for a CVT which is a disadvantage in most cases. As proof with this quote:
Disadvantages of the CVT

The CVT's biggest problem has been user acceptance. Because the CVT allows the engine to rev at any speed, the noises coming from under the hood sound odd to ears accustomed to conventional manual and automatic transmissions. The gradual changes in engine note sound like a sliding transmission or a slipping clutch -- signs of trouble with a conventional transmission, but perfectly normal for a CVT. Flooring an automatic car brings a lurch and a sudden burst of power, whereas CVTs provide a smooth, rapid increase to maximum power. To some drivers this makes the car feel slower, when in fact a CVT will generally out-accelerate an automatic.
http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/CVT.htm
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 AM

i understand that our transmissions are different and make noises. but this is something ive NEVER heard the car do in the year and 1/2 ive been driving it. appreciate the info u posted though
Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM

"oh sorry i didnt explain that part. yes its when u increase the rpms. from 3krpms to 6.5krpms. at first i thought it was a loose belt but it only does it while on dhift mode so i doubt it"

Mine does the same thing....I think it is just the engine as the rpms increase. Nothing to worry about. That being said, if you are concerned, then go to the dealership.

Last edited by Terrentius; 06-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM

are you sure it's coming from the cvt & not the tensioners????
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM

yea im sure. it only sounds like this while on shift mode
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjmfh...os=gedmnZSXPzg

I'm guessing it sounds like that.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVT Problem or Engine??

Sometimes my CVT makes a whine sound also, but my car is hesitating at WOT from a standstill. I have 70k miles, just changed plugs, pcv valve, drained and filled CVT fluid, fuel injectors cleaned. I'm pretty frustrated at this point, not sure whatg it could be.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxima07boy
Sometimes my CVT makes a whine sound also, but my car is hesitating at WOT from a standstill. I have 70k miles, just changed plugs, pcv valve, drained and filled CVT fluid, fuel injectors cleaned. I'm pretty frustrated at this point, not sure whatg it could be.
Did you use Nissan CVT fluid?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Are these CVT trannys problematic?

All I see on here is people complaining about them.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM

You have a sensor issue. Not great news for you since they are tough to sort out until there is complete failure of the sensor. Your ECU is trying to adjust but it failing because the info that it is getting from the problematic sensor(s) is incorrect. Find the sensor(s) and you will solve your "hesitation" @ WOT issue.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im kind of curious as to what was the out come of this..
Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Terrentius. I don't even know where to start. Like I said, I did all the maintenance items above, but from a standstill, when I floor it, it "chokes" for a couple secs, then takes off. Just don't know what sensor it could be. Ughhhh
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks Terrentius. I don't even know where to start. Like I said, I did all the maintenance items above, but from a standstill, when I floor it, it "chokes" for a couple secs, then takes off. Just don't know what sensor it could be. Ughhhh

Yeah, that is my guess. All the work you did on the whip is good stuff, but if you got a sensor sending crap info to the ECU, then the engine is gonna be off kilter. Another issue could be electrical, loose connection....rusted connection between electrical components, which is even more of a diagnostic issue.

Finding out wheather it is a sensor or an electrical issue could run you major $$$. If you are not up to paying a mechanic to spend the rest of June searching for the issue, then my advice is don't run the engine hard. Hopefully the issue will show its face and you can then sort it out.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM

No covered under the warranty?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Also, Chermax is probably the best guy to throw an educated guess at your engine issue(s). He is nothing short of being Yoda when it comes to ECUs, ingnition systems, O2 sensors and cam sensors with our engines since he has installed a legitimate turbo in his Max. He routinely trolls through the threads and may be able to fire off an idea to give you some direction as to your hesitation issue.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

I had the whining noise going down hills. replaced tensioners, not cvt issue
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 AM

I too have a whining noise when in manual mode. I did notice the same type of noise when in regular mode while passing a car on the interstate a few weeks ago though too. Only happens when at higher RPMs and is really noticeable when at higher RMPs and letting off the gas while leaving it in a lower gear. I suppose it could be an engine belt slipping, but it sure does sound/feel like a transmission issue. I am probably due for a belt change. 47k miles on my 2007 and I have not had to do anything other than change the oil and put gas in the thing.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Mine does the same noise. I kinda like it. Feels like I have a supercharger. I'm sure that's normal since I bought my 08 brand spanking new and it did that noise back then. Now I'm at 30k and it still does it.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Yeah, it's normal for our cvt's to hear "weird" noises. Our engines are surprisingly noisy though.....