6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID bulb confusion...SOS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

HID bulb confusion...SOS

I ordered a D2S bulb HID kit from vvme.com after thinking I got the right bulb size down from sylvania.com. The kit should be arriving tomorrow but I just came across a thread stating that D2S bulbs would not fit into a 2006 maxima unless the car came with factory HIDs.. mine did not . Is there absolutely no way to make them fit?? I have been patiently awaiting this kit and am disappointed to find out that they may not even fit now..
Assuming the worse and they won't fit could I just simply order the right bulbs that fit my car and connect them to the kit Im expecting tomorrow instead of having to order a whole other kit? The kit is a D2S 55w 8000k..
Thx guys
Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

d2s are only for maxima with stock HIDs you need 9006 bulbs for your car. Im pretty sure you can use the ballast your receiving tomorrow, just order new bulbs
Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 AM

Cool thx.. I ordered new bulbs.. Ill update once everything is figured out
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok hey guys, I just got a 2006 Nissan Maxima SL. Now my headlight just blow. I am having such difficulty finding my bulbs. Ofcourse as they say the SL model of the maxima comes with the factory HID right? well i ordered a d2s bulb and it looks nothing like the bulb that is installed in my car..HELP PLEASE..just a brief description: The bulb that I took from my car looks like the d2s however it has 2 wires (amp connectors) attached to it red and blue wires; im guessing that is used to switch from high to low at once. HELP GUYS!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by lemeloveu
ok hey guys, I just got a 2006 Nissan Maxima SL. Now my headlight just blow. I am having such difficulty finding my bulbs. Ofcourse as they say the SL model of the maxima comes with the factory HID right? well i ordered a d2s bulb and it looks nothing like the bulb that is installed in my car..HELP PLEASE..just a brief description: The bulb that I took from my car looks like the d2s however it has 2 wires (amp connectors) attached to it red and blue wires; im guessing that is used to switch from high to low at once. HELP GUYS!!!
I dont believe all sl' models came with Hid's but I could be wrong, Check to see if your kit is aftermarket? Maybe someone before you decided to put in a HID kit in which case the housing would be for the stock halogen bulb so you would need the bulb size for the stock halogen, also make sure that there is a HID kit installed. I have seen some make the mistake of buying HID bulbs for halogen lighting which will not work since there is no ballast.

Oh and thank you for using the search button and bumping the correct thread (Some may say its thread-jacking)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok well my car have ballasts and i think its standard factory
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am goin to try to upload a pic so u guys could see how this bulb looks it shapes like a halogen bulb but it is a HID bulb with two amp connectors permanently attched to it
Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

On a different note, I just installed an aftermarket HID kit in my car (04 Max so used 9012) and H3 for the fogs. THe fogs look great but the headlight bulbs are shaking. The connections are snug, and the headlights shake like they are vibrating, regardless if the car is on or not! This is really frustuating as I cannot figure it out. ANyone else face this issue?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok well its my bad lol....it looks like the guy i bought the car from 2006 nissan maxima SL converted my xenon factory hid to aftermarket HID, what bulbs do I need?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After reading this thread, I have compiled few questions for my 05 SE model. My passenger headlight went off and need to replace one. I called service center and found I have halogen lighting system.

1. 9006 should work, but its light is not powerful as original, any suggestion for any specific brand for brighter light?
2. Would 9012 work without changing any other assembly? If I have to change other parts, what would be the cost?
3. Can I go with HID-D2S? Since I have only halogen lighting system, do I need to change the whole system? and how much is the cost?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP!! long story short,, a guy from AUTOZONE told me i had HIDs on my maxima so i order new d2c bulbs,, i had the ppl at a body shop put them in for me just to find out that my lights were halogen.. now my question is.. if i buy a conversion kit for my car is that all i would need.. because the guy was talking some b.s. about a harness and that a hid kit will not plug up to my existing one.. any help is appreciated

o yeah and if i do go and buy the conversion kit, do i need a extra one for my fogs? or can i just plug both the fog and high/low beam to one ballast
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now answer for last two questions! anyone please?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, i installed HID kit first thing in my 05 SE. If you had halogens, you should have the stupid halogen infrared reflective 9012 bulb (looks like a condom blown up into a bubble on the tip end). These bulbs actually don't have hi and lo beam. They are single filament. Your headlight housing should have a "casper" flap which just block the light from blinding people going down the road. When you turn your high beams on, the flap moves and you get the full beam. You need to order 9006 H.I.D. bulbs. Don't order the dual or bi-xenon kits, you're wasting money since our cars have the casper flap, no hi and lo, just beam cutoff around hood height of oncoming traffic, or fully open lighting trees overhead and everything else. I got the 10000K kit (slightly blue, but still very bright and has faded to being almost pure white after 1 year). You will have to use a dremel or something to cut a bigger hole for wiring, but it's pretty plug-n-play. Good luck guys