6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 AM

new transmission

after a rather stressful dealing with Nissan( complained of hard shifting, lazy shifting, when going into reverse the transmission thinks then decides to go into reverse after making a loud bang. First they said that it was the mounts, had that changed, then they said that the transmission oil is burnt although it was changed 1 month prior ), they finally said that I needed a new transmission that is on order and will arrive on Wednesday. yay me! (scarcaticly). We should not be dealing with these issues. Nissan quality has really gone to sh*t. I had my 96 maxima for 100,000 miles with no issues and its still going although my friend has it now. my 2006 has on 44,000 miles. lame Nissan, really lame...and it seems to be a frequent problem, something I was hoping to miss me...but I was wrong.

Does anyone know how long it will be in the shop for? I forgot to ask...
my mechanic recommended that I have a transmission cooler installed because the stock cooler is so small...anyone else recommend this?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM

I just had the transmission on my 06 replaced under waranty and it was in the shop for 4 hours. My transmission is a manual. I would agree with you about Maxima quality decreasing. I have had the engine, catalytic converters, and transmission all replaced in the last 3000 miles, thankfully, all under waranty. I believe the problem has to do with being built in America

Last edited by 240tomax; 10-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM

I can see why Nissan moved onto the CVT, I don't hear as many problems with it failing like the 5 speed auto. At least you were covered by the warranty. I have the 5 speed auto and it shifts hard when cold going from 2 to 3 but when warm its smooth as silk. I did a drain and fill at 60,000 and will do it every 30,000 from now on.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Same deal here- 2004 SE. 70K miles. 5 speed auto, transmission hesitates from 2nd to 3rd when cold (split second delay, no banging, no jerking, just a slight delay). Once it warms up, no issues. Anyone had success with installing transgo shift kit? Heard all sorts of feedback about shift kit, some say it is just a temporary fix, others say it fixes it for good- please, enlighten-thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM

What years did they switch to cvt?

I heard about the transgo kit also...I don't know much about it.

Anyone had a transmission cooler installed?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 PM

They switched to CVT in 07.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 AM

I think someone may have asked this before but I wonder if when the 5 speed auto craps out, what would it take to switch it over to the cvt? Obviously you will need the CVT trans but what else? The cpu? Maybe this will be the way to go when/if mine dies.

Last edited by BadBlackMaxSL; 10-03-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I think someone may have asked this before but I wonder if when the 5 speed auto craps out, what would it take to switch it over to the cvt? Obviously you will need the CVT trans but what else? The cpu? Maybe this will be the way to go when/if my dies.
That's a good question. I would like to know this too!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM

I've had my share of issues as well. See sig.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
SuPeRmOd

I think someone may have asked this before but I wonder if when the 5 speed auto craps out, what would it take to switch it over to the cvt? Obviously you will need the CVT trans but what else? The cpu? Maybe this will be the way to go when/if mine dies.
I think I would get a new 5AT and install the transgo kit before i would swap. and if i wanted to swap, it would be for the 6MT before the CVT even though I much prefer the auto.

and if I wanted the CVT i might suck it up and look into a slightly used 7th gen before swapping as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM

I have the transgo kit installed and an aftermarket trans fluid cooler installed too. shifts great. No jerking, slamming, or delays. Had all that before the kit install and cooler install. Not a temp fix, should last a while considering the type of kit it is. I agree with NismoMax80 on new trans with kit. Nissan will not install the kit. they will just install new trans. You will have 1 year warrenty, then I recommend kit install. Problem will just reoccur unless you get the kit. I think the CVT will have it's problems as well, just give it some time. Most are not even at 60k in the Max with CVTs.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM

I don't know.......the CVT's have a 120k warranty plus less problems than any other trans for our 6th gens. So, it might not be a bad idea IMO

BUT........if your gonna do something like that you might as well get either a 6.5 or 7 gen
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04vqmaxsl
I've had my share of issues as well. See sig.
damn, that sucks ...two transmissions ...well third if you count the one you got it with... ...i hope i don't go through all that.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

which transgo kit is for the 06 maxima?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by chris350
which transgo kit is for the 06 maxima?
should be the same 04-06. look at the transmission sticky
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I too had it replaced under warranty at around 60K. 31K since then and I am not too comfy with it already.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

after a rather stressful dealing with Nissan( complained of hard shifting, lazy shifting, when going into reverse the transmission thinks then decides to go into reverse after making a loud bang. First they said that it was the mounts, had that changed, then they said that the transmission oil is burnt although it was changed 1 month prior ), they finally said that I needed a new transmission that is on order and will arrive on Wednesday. yay me! (scarcaticly). We should not be dealing with these issues. Nissan quality has really gone to sh*t. I had my 96 maxima for 100,000 miles with no issues and its still going although my friend has it now. my 2006 has on 44,000 miles. lame Nissan, really lame...and it seems to be a frequent problem, something I was hoping to miss me...but I was wrong.

Does anyone know how long it will be in the shop for? I forgot to ask...
my mechanic recommended that I have a transmission cooler installed because the stock cooler is so small...anyone else recommend this?
The transmission went on my 2004 at just over 60k. The dealer didnt want to know from it. I wrote to the VP of Customer Satisfaction in Tenn. they covered 80% of the repair. but this car has had one problem after another. the dealer service is for crap. I had a 90 and 96 Maxima, and never had a problem with either of them.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
Same deal here- 2004 SE. 70K miles. 5 speed auto, transmission hesitates from 2nd to 3rd when cold (split second delay, no banging, no jerking, just a slight delay). Once it warms up, no issues. Anyone had success with installing transgo shift kit? Heard all sorts of feedback about shift kit, some say it is just a temporary fix, others say it fixes it for good- please, enlighten-thanks in advance!
I have an 06 SE with just over 54k. I too have experienced this hard shift from 2nd to 3rd just after I start driving from the car being parked all day/night. It's just a slight hesitation with no loud noises or anything like that. Once the engine is warm its smooth as butter with no issues up shifting or down shifting. Could this be an early sign of a bad transmission.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

redstone better get it in the dealer b4 waranty runs out or youll be paddleing down the same river as everyone else!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Redstone
I have an 06 SE with just over 54k. I too have experienced this hard shift from 2nd to 3rd just after I start driving from the car being parked all day/night. It's just a slight hesitation with no loud noises or anything like that. Once the engine is warm its smooth as butter with no issues up shifting or down shifting. Could this be an early sign of a bad transmission.
I believe there is a TSB for cold hard shifting. If still under 5 years/60k, have the dealer check it out.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 10-13-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: warranty correction
Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I believe there is a TSB for cold hard shifting. If still under 5 years/60k, have the dealer check it out.
I bought the car used just over a year ago with 36k on the odo. Since I didn't own it from new I wasn't sure if this was normal or not until I starting reading about the issues on the org with 6th gen transmission issues. I owned a 5.5 gen just before this and put 130k plus on it with very minor issues over the 7 years and none of them were engine or transmission related.

I must admit over the past year or so of owning the 6th gen I have not had any trouble none whatsoever. When I saw the hard shift issue I noticed that my car did do that at times, but otherwise everything was fine. I did buy an extended warranty at the time of purchasing the car that covers just about anything for 4yrs or 48k from the 36k with $100 deductible so I will definitely be taking it in to the dealer to have them look at it before the warranty expires. If something happens before then then I need not worry. That's why I got the warranty. I will search for that TSB and take a look at it. Thanks for telling me about it.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 10-13-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: my quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM

I believe there is a TSB for cold hard shifting. If still under 6 years, have the dealer check it out.
Nismo, you sure about the 6 year time limit? Is there a mileage limit? I will have to call my dealership about this.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I bought the car used just over a year ago with 36k on the odo. Since I didn't own it from new I wasn't sure if this was normal or not until I starting reading about the issues on the org with 6th gen transmission issues. I owned a 5.5 gen just before this and put 130k plus on it with very minor issues over the 7 years and none of them were engine or transmission related.

I must admit over the past year or so of owning the 6th gen I have not had any trouble none whatsoever. When I saw the hard shift issue I noticed that my car did do that at times, but otherwise everything was fine. I did buy an extended warranty at the time of purchasing the car that covers just about anything for 4yrs or 48k from the 36k with $100 deductible so I will definitely be taking it in to the dealer to have them look at it before the warranty expires. If something happens before then then I need not worry. That's why I got the warranty. I will search for that TSB and take a look at it. Thanks for telling me about it.
To make sure your warranty doesn't give you a hard time, have all receipts handy when you make the claim. I don't have any receipts with me and I'm about to find out in the next few days if the warranty will honor my tranny rebuilt.

As the service tech from the tranny place explained to me, the '04 3.5 SE tranny is a sealed unit which requires no service; so hopefully by having no paperwork, but requiring no tranny service according to Nissan maintenance, will make them pay anyway. He has dealt with many warranties, so hopefully he'll get it going.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM

just an update >

the car is still at the dealer getting the new transmission installed. I should get it back wednesday morning time...hopefully....
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM

just an update >

the car is still at the dealer getting the new transmission installed. I should get it back wednesday morning time...hopefully....
Please post and let us know how everything is working once you get the car back.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Please post and let us know how everything is working once you get the car back.
Hey guys, so yes I did get the car back from the dealer and it runs like a dream. Now,the only question is, for how long? I guess I will try to keep positive and install a transmission cooler like my mechanic recommended.

On a side note, they forgot to put back my battery shroud...got me a new shroud...lol
Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

Nismo, you sure about the 6 year time limit? Is there a mileage limit? I will have to call my dealership about this.
sorry, is the drivetrain 5 years/ 60k miles? not sure why I thought 6 years. I have the 7/70k extended, that must of threw my math off...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

so if it is true the 05 and 06 had internal upgrades... I am very curious if these 04 warranty swaps include any redesigns...

If they do they must not have upgraded the failing parts.

once again please check out the STICKY on the 5AT fix.

I personally suggest changing your tranny oil more often if you have yet to experience problems. I suspect those of us whom have not seen any issues may not drive long, far, or as much for the inferior parts to overheat and begin to fail.
This is often the problem in trans in general. Heat.
I for one will order and install the transgo kit if I ever notice problems, but will change my oil AT LEAST every 30k. earlier if I feel it's worth it.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM

so if it is true the 05 and 06 had internal upgrades... I am very curious if these 04 warranty swaps include any redesigns...

If they do they must not have upgraded the failing parts.

once again please check out the STICKY on the 5AT fix.

I personally suggest changing your tranny oil more often if you have yet to experience problems. I suspect those of us whom have not seen any issues may not drive long, far, or as much for the inferior parts to overheat and begin to fail.
This is often the problem in trans in general. Heat.
I for one will order and install the transgo kit if I ever notice problems, but will change my oil AT LEAST every 30k. earlier if I feel it's worth it.
NismoMax80 do you change your transmission oil yourself or do you have the dealer do it. I checked my oil over the weekend and it looks very dark. I honestly don't think it should be that dark so I am thinking of getting it changed very soon perhaps over the next few days, but I don't know yet whether I am going to take it in or buy the oil from the dealer and drain and fill it myself.

Last edited by Redstone; 10-15-2010 at 12:48 PM.