6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cvt oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Cvt oil change...

i called the nissan up today nd asked em if they do the transmission flush..the guy told me they dont do flush on cvt tranmission tranny? But on my6thgen.org it says we can do an flush on transmission..so im confuesd here
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Who did you call? Nissan, or a dealer?

There's a differance between being able to do a flush, wanting to do a flush, and changing out the oil in the pan.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Who did you call? Nissan, or a dealer?

There's a differance between being able to do a flush, wanting to do a flush, and changing out the oil in the pan.

i called the dealers..and he told me the they dont flush the oil he said they just the drain out the old oil and refill..
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Yup, no flush, and they only do a partial drain and fill, not a complete drain./fill. To do a complete drain would require taking the CVT apart. You will probably be happier with the partial fill cause the CVT holds 10L of CVT fluid. Do the math and you quickly realize how mush $$$ it is gonna cost. Did mine two moths ago...$247 for the labour and 5L of CVT fluid.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
Yup, no flush, and they only do a partial drain and fill, not a complete drain./fill. To do a complete drain would require taking the CVT apart. You will probably be happier with the partial fill cause the CVT holds 10L of CVT fluid. Do the math and you quickly realize how mush $$$ it is gonna cost. Did mine two moths ago...$247 for the
labour and 5L of CVT fluid.

so u did the complete drain? Cuz i done mine at 26k nd it only cost me 90 bucks thats y i called the dealer up to see if i have done it..
But on my6thgen it says we can flush and drain without taking it part..nd taking it part it doesnt even make sense i mean to do a flush or complete we have to take out tranny?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Just do the drain and refill yourself. I did it with just a pair of car ramps (to get the front end up) a 10mm allen wrench, a breaker bar (to get the bolt loosened), a drain pan, and 6 quarts of CVT fluid. Total cost was around $110 (had to buy the CVT fluid and the car ramps). Way better to do it yourself and save some money. If you can change your own oil, you can do this.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Deep007
so u did the complete drain? Cuz i done mine at 26k nd it only cost me 90 bucks thats y i called the dealer up to see if i have done it..
But on my6thgen it says we can flush and drain without taking it part..nd taking it part it doesnt even make sense i mean to do a flush or complete we have to take out tranny?
No, they did not complete the drain. Kept the car up on the rack for two hours and only 5L came out so they only put 5L back in. As for the cost difference, not sure. I am in Canada so there would be some difference for the cost of the CVT fluid as with everything else. Up here it is $35 a litre...not sure what you guys pay down there, but that would not account for the total $160 difference. Maybe they didn't let as much drain out and in return did not have to put as much back in.....
Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jgadlage
Just do the drain and refill yourself. I did it with just a pair of car ramps (to get the front end up) a 10mm allen wrench, a breaker bar (to get the bolt loosened), a drain pan, and 6 quarts of CVT fluid. Total cost was around $110 (had to buy the CVT fluid and the car ramps). Way better to do it yourself and save some money. If you can change your own oil, you can do this.
I am all for the do-it-yourself stuff but I am taking no chances with the 120,000m factory warranty on the CVT. I'll let the Nissan techs do the tranny stuff until the warranty is out.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 PM

I am all for the do-it-yourself stuff but I am taking no chances with the 120,000m factory warranty on the CVT. I'll let the Nissan techs do the tranny stuff until the warranty is out.
+1 for you man...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by jgadlage

Is it really that easy? I have 47k miles on my 07 and have been thinking about changing the CVT fluid. Not sure though... I need to read the manual to see when that is suppose to be done (I may be past the first change already, idk).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Is it really that easy? I have 47k miles on my 07 and have been thinking about changing the CVT fluid. Not sure though... I need to read the manual to see when that is suppose to be done (I may be past the first change already, idk).

its due at every 30000 miles i did mine ahead at 26k
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Ah... I bought the car with just over 30k miles. Will probably go ahead and change it out soon.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deep007
its due at every 30000 miles i did mine ahead at 26k
No it's not. It's due at 100,000, but they suggest it be checked any time after 50k to see if it needs to be changed earlier.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
No it's not. It's due at 100,000, but they suggest it be checked any time after 50k to see if it needs to be changed earlier.

Service manual does say change at 30k, 60k, etc. That is the "Premium maintenance schedule."
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM

I also found a good DIY how to guide on www.my6thgen.org and gave my .02 on the whole process. It really is easy to do it yourself. Just made sure that when you buy your CVT fluid that you save the receipt in your records. That way you can show Nissan when you purchased the CVT fluid and note when you did the drain/fill if ever you need to take them up on their transmission warranty and they call you on the maintenance of your CVT fluid.
http://www.my6thgen.org/showthread.p...ighlight=fluid
Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 AM

Service manual does say change at 30k, 60k, etc. That is the "Premium maintenance schedule."
That "premium maintenance shedule" in your service manual, is a great way for dealerships to make lots of MONEY. Being an auto tech myself, I will take your money if you want this kind of service that often, but I also tell my customers that some of this stuff might not need to be done. I don't like charging for things that just aren't needed. Maybe I am just stupid.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 AM

This thread makes me laugh, the section at least that talks about doing it yourself. The labor portion of the bill for my CVT fluid change from the Dealer was a whole $38. So I decided to look at some of the math. If I did my own fluid change, I would save myself .006 cents for every mile up untill the warranty is out.

If I take into consideration my labor, tools and location, and disposal of the old oil, I am gonna erode that .006 cents for the next 60,000m down pretty quick. And if by chance the CVT tranny craps out on me, add to that that I might end up getting into a pissing match with the Dealer/Nissan USA whether I actually did the fluid change regardless of whether I bought the fluid and it was documented that I did purchase it. In my opinion, just entertaining the option that they may question the validity and challenge my right to the warranty kills off anything left from initial .006 cents savings for the next 60,000m.

And to add to the question whether they will take care of you let me add this. I went in at 30,000m to have the fluid changed out, as per the manual, and the service manager, a good guy who looks to take care of the customer(s), just laughed at me and said to bring the car in at 60,000m. I asked why and he said that they have never had a CVT tranny crap out on them and that those trannys have been in the Murano now for several years without any real issues. So, I was like, okay, I can live with that. I roll back in at 60,000m to set up my appointment and again he laughs and says not to bother with the fluid change until 90,000m. I am kind of dumbfounded by his claim, so, I asked whether (1) my CVT 120,000m warranty will stay in effect after he has counseled me to not change the fluid until a later date and (2) that he would put that into writing that he had counseled me not to change the fluid so I would have proper documentation to take against Nissan USA if Nissan challenged my warranty claim for failing to follow routine CVT maintenance procedures. As you can guess, he said he couldn’t guarantee that the warranty would be covered. Of course he couldn’t. He doesn’t own Nissan and you can bet the guy who owns the Dealership is not going to pay for your new tranny as well.

This whole discussion reminds of guys who put in regular grade (low) fuel in their cars because it is a few cents cheaper cause they can’t afford higher grade fuels even when they know that the car *almost* requires it to operate at it was designed to. It is just kind of silly….

Last edited by Terrentius; 10-07-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM

There's a system diagnostic that can be run by the dealer to determine if the driving conditions require the CVT fluid change interval to be moved up. Like I said, maximum life is said to be 100,000 miles, but you should start having the diagnostic checked during regular maintenance after 50 or 60 thousand so that when the car tells you it's time, you spring for it then, and not sooner. CVT runs considerably cooler than conventional transmissions, and also has far less friction points that can cause the fluid to break down.

Don’t think of it like any other car you’ve had before, think of it as a car with a CVT.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM

This thread makes me laugh, the section at least that talks about doing it yourself. The labor portion of the bill for my CVT fluid change from the Dealer was a whole $38. So I decided to look at some of the math. If I did my own fluid change, I would save myself .006 cents for every mile up untill the warranty is out.

If I take into consideration my labor, tools and location, and disposal of the old oil, I am gonna erode that .006 cents for the next 60,000m down pretty quick. And if by chance the CVT tranny craps out on me, add to that that I might end up getting into a pissing match with the Dealer/Nissan USA whether I actually did the fluid change regardless of whether I bought the fluid and it was documented that I did purchase it. In my opinion, just entertaining the option that they may question the validity and challenge my right to the warranty kills off anything left from initial .006 cents savings for the next 60,000m.

And to add to the question whether they will take care of you let me add this. I went in at 30,000m to have the fluid changed out, as per the manual, and the service manager, a good guy who looks to take care of the customer(s), just laughed at me and said to bring the car in at 60,000m. I asked why and he said that they have never had a CVT tranny crap out on them and that those trannys have been in the Murano now for several years without any real issues. So, I was like, okay, I can live with that. I roll back in at 60,000m to set up my appointment and again he laughs and says not to bother with the fluid change until 90,000m. I am kind of dumbfounded by his claim, so, I asked whether (1) my CVT 120,000m warranty will stay in effect after he has counseled me to not change the fluid until a later date and (2) that he would put that into writing that he had counseled me not to change the fluid so I would have proper documentation to take against Nissan USA if Nissan challenged my warranty claim for failing to follow routine CVT maintenance procedures. As you can guess, I he said he couldn’t guarantee that the warranty would be covered. Of course he couldn’t. He doesn’t own Nissan and you can bet the guy who owns the Dealership is not going to pay for your new tranny as well.

This whole discussion reminds of guys who put in regular grade (low) fuel in their cars because it is a few cents cheaper cause they can’t afford higher grade fuels even when they know that the car *almost* requires it to operate at it was designed to. It is just kind of silly….

I understand your point, but I am a DIY kind of guy. I use to own a vehicle that required tons of maintenance and the closest dealer was over an hour away. I had to be a DIY'er and actually enjoy working/doing maintenance on my vehicles.

There are oil analysis that can be performed by 3rd party companies that can prove the oil in the CVT, or engine for that matter, have been changed and/or were providing proper lubrication.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM

I understand your point, but I am a DIY kind of guy. I use to own a vehicle that required tons of maintenance and the closest dealer was over an hour away. I had to be a DIY'er and actually enjoy working/doing maintenance on my vehicles.

There are oil analysis that can be performed by 3rd party companies that can prove the oil in the CVT, or engine for that matter, have been changed and/or were providing proper lubrication.
Oh yeah, no worries...I understand. My Dealer has the CVT analysis system as well. Yet, he still would not guarantee warranty coverage even if the analysis came back that the fluid was at an acceptable percentage of strength. The bottom line is always the maintenance directive in the manual. At the end of the day, I just don't trust car manufactures. I wish I did but I don't. That being said, when my warranty is out, I'll doing the same as you.