6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 PM

timing marks

Hello all, doing the dreaded tensioner fix on my own. I have the timing cover off and am trying to figure out the timing marks. Do you just continue to turn the crank until they line up? Is there an easier way to do it? Also the newer timing chain and cam chains come with colored links in them. The cam chains have three bronze looking links. Two on one side and one on the other side of the chain. the timing chan has two bronze links and a bluish link in them. I assume these are for timing....but how does this all line up. I'm a pretty competent mechanic just need to know the in's and the hanyes book I have is Sh17! Googled to the end of the earth and a lot of people have talked about this problem but I'm surprised there is no writeup about it. So if someone has completed this repair please resopond to this thread. I'm taking step by step pics as well.
thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 AM

Follow the procedure listed in this manual. It is for Altima, but there is a procedure for the VQ35 engine, which the maxima has.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2006/em.pdf
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM

ThanKS

I appreciate the manual, I was just looking for any tricks or secrets. I've searched a lot on this issue and have only found a few posts where somone has tried it or a forum member who is a nissan tech slightly described how to do it.
So basically I align it at TDC then mark em and change em correct? I've seen several posts where you are told that you don;t have to take the intake off or the rocker covers....but that may see like a necessity? Any answers on this? Wish I could have just paid a shop to do this but way out of warranty and no money. Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Anything?

So the motor is at TDC. Does anyone know if the punched marks on the camshaft sprockets must be aligned before you take off the timing sprocket?
My issue is that I have it at TDC but the camshaft chains and sprockets don't line up like in the manual. But if I have it at TDC, the camshafts at Cyl. 1 are pointed the right way then can I just mark the relation to where the timing chain sprocket is to the camshaft chain sprockets and use that for reinstallation. Any help out there. Also, Turbizzy or whatever the name is, is incorrect you have to take off the valve covers there is no other way. Then you need to take off the cam bearing covers near the sprockets just to get to the tensioners. There is no other way, and if there is then turbizzy is just not sharing his stealership ideas. Which is rather irritating for those of us who don;t have the coin to pay to get it done.
Also are the timing sprockets near the cam sprockets keyed? I assume the are or at least can only go on one way.
Stuck at the moment and really need a reply.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Well lets see if I can help you, I'm studying this repair because I will need to do it on my Altima.

"So the motor is at TDC. Does anyone know if the punched marks on the camshaft sprockets must be aligned before you take off the timing sprocket?"
-The marks must align. Probably what happened is that Cyl #1 is not at TDC. You need to rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees (one full revolution) so that Cyl #1 is at compression cycle. then the marks should line up.

"Also, Turbizzy or whatever the name is, is incorrect you have to take off the valve covers there is no other way. Then you need to take off the cam bearing covers near the sprockets just to get to the tensioners. "
-It is not necessary to take the valve covers off (if you have the necesary tool) Reason for taking the valve cover out is to be able hold the camshaft, so the nut on the cam gears can be removed.
That tool is a ring gear stopper (J-50288), it goes on the flywheel, where the starter is mounted, and what it does is to hold the cranckshaft stationary so you can remove the cranckshaft and camshaft nuts while the chain is attached without the engone turning over.
see this:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi...e_bulletin.pdf

Let me know how it goes.