6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

NON HID to HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM

NON HID to HID conversion

I am looking to do a conversion and need some help. Has anyone done this conversion to the headlights using the stock headlight enclosure? If so what kit did you use and as always pics help. Thanx in advance. Ohh and I did search but nothing exactly tailored to my situation came up.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Got Retrofit?

Just drop an HID kit in and call it a day. I'm using halogen projectors for my retro and HIDs are absolutely fine in there. The output is actually really nice and focused, plus there's no extra light above the cutoff.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 AM

so whats the highest i can go as far as watts before it melts the casing? also fitment seems like it could be a challenge considering they are stock 9012 bulbs.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Go 35w...if you go 55w, then you will be high-beamed flashed by every dude out there.

Also, take extra care/time to seal it before you put it all back together. If not, then you will have condensation issues. This last point cannot be over emphasized.

Last edited by Terrentius; 12-07-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 AM

thank you, now do I go with the 9006 set and clip the pieces to fit? Also will this all work with the oem back cover? Has anyone done this, or have pics of this on their max?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM

you might need to trim or sand down some of the tabs on the 9006, but other than that, they will fit fine. I did the swap about 3-4 years ago and everything still works great.

my only gripe is that...the output sucks compared to true HID projector housings. I have HIDs in the headlights, and in the fogs. But they still fail in comparison next to a HID projector from a G35 etc.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
thank you, now do I go with the 9006 set and clip the pieces to fit? Also will this all work with the oem back cover? Has anyone done this, or have pics of this on their max?
I used the 9006 in my 07. Didn't have to trim anything but you may have to. As far as the the back cover your gonna have to drill a hole in the back to accommodate new wires. Use a 1" spade bit to make the hole. It will be perfectly round and the supplied grommet will make a good seal. I also put some RTV sealant around the grommet. No problems with condensation after almost 3 years.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM

old pic when I installed mine, but that's the grommet that DAlastDON was talking about.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM

That looks pretty good. Where did you get your kit from? did you use the stock wiring for install, and if so where did it connect up to? I am asking this because my connector that connects directly to the bulb has melted and is unusable. I am either going to have to straight wire/solder/sleeve it, or get a new connector. I priced the connector and of course it is not just the connector, it is the whole wiring harness. Runs about $180 new. Thanx again and nice pix.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 PM

I got the kit from an org sponser (Operatic). Turns out he's local so I've been going to him for the past few years or so. Great guy to deal with!

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...og-lights.html

I used the stock wiring for the install. The factory plug from each headlight was plugged into the adapter that you see sticking out from the end cap in those pics. The wires lead to the ballast...and back into the headlight assembly to the bulbs.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Man that looks great its way over due for me to get hids .
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM

That looks pretty good. Where did you get your kit from? did you use the stock wiring for install, and if so where did it connect up to? I am asking this because my connector that connects directly to the bulb has melted and is unusable. I am either going to have to straight wire/solder/sleeve it, or get a new connector. I priced the connector and of course it is not just the connector, it is the whole wiring harness. Runs about $180 new. Thanx again and nice pix.
Fry both sides? If not then set it up with a relay to trigger both the ballast off of one head light and draw the power from the battery.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Got Retrofit?

so whats the highest i can go as far as watts before it melts the casing? also fitment seems like it could be a challenge considering they are stock 9012 bulbs.
I'd go with 35W's. When going 55W not only do you have to worry about melting the headlight lenses, you also have to worry about burning up your projector bowl.

Originally Posted by Terrentius
Go 35w...if you go 55w, then you will be high-beamed flashed by every dude out there.
Even if he were to go with 55W's, there's still the cutoff and there shouldn't be light above that point no matter what watt he goes with.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
Fry both sides? If not then set it up with a relay to trigger both the ballast off of one head light and draw the power from the battery.
I still have good wires coming from the side the adapter melted on. I am going to do some searching see if I can get that piece cheaper.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i bought my kit from ddmtuning.com for $35. Going on a year and a half and no issues or condensation and i had to drill just like AscendantMax and DAlastDON
Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM

so I decided to go to the parts store and buy new wiring harnesses. I bought the 9006 harnesses and they are much better in design than the standard crap from Nissan. Cost of $6 for each connector vice 180 for a complete harness for one side. They fit a bit more snug to the 9006 bulbs as well. I will be installing these in the morning sometime and take some pics. I will then wait for my HID kit to come in and install them. I will do an easy writeup when I complete everything.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 AM

I too have the 9012 halogens and would actually like to get an HID kid myself. Has anyone ever done a complete swap from the 9012 halogen to OEM Nissan HID's. I talking about changing the headlight assembly, wires and anything else that needs to be changed just as if they made it that way from the factory. I know this obviously would be the more expensive route, but I am curious to find out the amount of work or difficulty in doing so and if the benefit of going the extra mile would mean better output since HID projector housing will be used.

Last edited by Redstone; 12-11-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Redstone
I too have the 9012 halogens and would actually like to get an HID kid myself. Has anyone ever done a complete swap from the 9012 halogen to OEM Nissan HID's. I talking about changing the headlight assembly, wires and anything else that needs to be changed just as if they made it that way from the factory. I know this obviously would be the more expensive route, but I am curious to find out the amount of work or difficulty in doing so and if the benefit of going the extra mile would mean better output since HID projector housing will be used.
Better off just buying the headlights and harnesses themselves. Cost is the big factor. Just the stock ballasts run about 70 each on ebay used. so 140 for the ballasts. You need the headlight enclosure due to them being different than the ones you currently have. You can get used headlights for about 150 a piece. that's 300 total for the two headlights. And the bulb wiring harness would be 180 each so 360. and the bulbs are not cheap. could get some knockoffs for about 60 a set. so about 860 should be right. I think 80 for a conversion is a much better solution.

did the connectors today and they turned out great. will post pics later this afternoon.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Better off just buying the headlights and harnesses themselves. Cost is the big factor. Just the stock ballasts run about 70 each on ebay used. so 140 for the ballasts. You need the headlight enclosure due to them being different than the ones you currently have. You can get used headlights for about 150 a piece. that's 300 total for the two headlights. And the bulb wiring harness would be 180 each so 360. and the bulbs are not cheap. could get some knockoffs for about 60 a set. so about 860 should be right. I think 80 for a conversion is a much better solution.

did the connectors today and they turned out great. will post pics later this afternoon.
I agree. The conversion kit is a much cheaper option. Will definitely go that route.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
you might need to trim or sand down some of the tabs on the 9006, but other than that, they will fit fine. I did the swap about 3-4 years ago and everything still works great.

my only gripe is that...the output sucks compared to true HID projector housings. I have HIDs in the headlights, and in the fogs. But they still fail in comparison next to a HID projector from a G35 etc.

How did you fit the back piece which is black in color and it seals the back side of the bulb...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone know how to change cornering light ? or how to access cornering light?thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pasbou01
does anyone know how to change cornering light ? or how to access cornering light?thanks
From underneath the car. Take out the plastic guard underneath and you will see how easy it is.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 PM

here are some of the pics I took changing out the connectors from factory to 9006 in preparation for the HID kit. http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?u=62833 just select HID conversion. I will put them all in a writeup once finished.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i need help

hey this evening when i started my car and turned the headlights on ,the driver side i givin a voilet or u can say purple light and is pretty low,um confused to know what is wrong with it.high beem or low its same,i guess i got factory projector headlights in it ,oh yea its a 2004 nissan maxima se
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been trying to do some research on HID conversion for a 2004 SE...If I buy one of these kits how does it hook up with the High Beams?

One of the two low beams is out on my passenger side and that side has no high beam so I assume it's 2 different bulbs in each enclosure? Do I have to buy 2 HID kits or get a special bi-xenon kit? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

I have the same concern.I have an 04 as well.Want to got from regular bulbs to hid kit but im concerned on the high beam working.What hid bulb kit are you guys buying to replace the 9012 regular dual beam bulb?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 AM

+2 on the Bi-Xenon kit, anyone? And is there any way to recognize if mine are HID or non-HID headlights by just looking at them?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by texas6
I have the same concern.I have an 04 as well.Want to got from regular bulbs to hid kit but im concerned on the high beam working.What hid bulb kit are you guys buying to replace the 9012 regular dual beam bulb?
The 6th gen has one bulb for high and low beams. The ammount of light is controlled by a shudder inside the projector houseing. A 9006 bulb base will work.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
The 6th gen has one bulb for high and low beams. The ammount of light is controlled by a shudder inside the projector houseing. A 9006 bulb base will work.
Thank you for the info.
I will order the 9006 hid kit then.

Last edited by texas6; 12-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't know if this has been asked but why not just go with a plug and play kit, I have installed several and much prefer that over drilling and soldering wires
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by texas6
Thank you for the info.
I will order the 9006 hid kit then.
will work with modifications. I am done with my install. I have to do a write up and am waiting on a new bulb. They sent me one 8k bulb and one 6.5k bulb. looks are hardly noticible, however I am particular and notice it quite a bit. Install was much easier than I thought it would be with the kit I got. Stay tuned. I will be posting a writeup in a day or two with or without new bulb.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
I don't know if this has been asked but why not just go with a plug and play kit, I have installed several and much prefer that over drilling and soldering wires
my kit was plug and play with a very little modification to the OEM light. You have to drill a 7/8 in hole in the back no matter what with any after market kit. Then the only other mod is cutting a small piece where the bulb fits in, or shaving the bulb. I did the holder because I will always use 9006 bulbs from now on. Only real plug and play kit is OEM which is very expensive and you have to change out the inside projector. The output is too hot for non OEM headlights. You will melt the plastic projector with high output HIDs. I am using 35watt kit which is very bright and not very hot.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM

will work with modifications. I am done with my install. I have to do a write up and am waiting on a new bulb. They sent me one 8k bulb and one 6.5k bulb. looks are hardly noticible, however I am particular and notice it quite a bit. Install was much easier than I thought it would be with the kit I got. Stay tuned. I will be posting a writeup in a day or two with or without new bulb.
I installed my 9006 hid kit from hidextra last night.
The high beam does work like mentioned so no problem there.
I was expecting a brighter output from the hids and was dissapointed.
I dont know if its the bulb or the headlight assembly that has to be replaced.
I can see that the lens on the fog light and headlight inside of the assembly looks dull but dont know if its only my max thats has that problem or if its common with age.
???
Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Bringing this back from the grave. Has anyone gambled and put in the 55w HID kit? If so can you post a pic of your output? Also how long have you had them installed and have you had any issues with them?

I am asking these questions because I am looking to upgrade to a higher output.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Had a friend do this a 6 months later it melted his lense.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Devildogheath
Had a friend do this a 6 months later it melted his lense.
Did what exactly? the conversion with 35w or the conversion with 55w? I have had the 35w since Jan of 2011 without any issues. Not as bright as I want, however does what it is supposed to. Looks good too.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 AM

Melted from the 55w
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Devildogheath
Melted from the 55w
and this happened on the same model car with original halogen bulbs?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Had halogen. He didn't switch the housing to Xenon. He did 55w with halogen housing. I'm not sure using Xenon with 55 watt. Did you convert yours to xenon?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM

It should handle 55w easily, but if you want better visibility you should get actual hid projectors. Should help you more than going to 55w

Quick Reply: NON HID to HID conversion