6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Spark Plugs

hey guys, im approaching 100k so i was getting ready to so a tune up. i was wondering should i get oem plugs or aftermarket ones like ngk or bosch. i ordered my nwp spacers so i figured do all at the same time while the UIM has to come off anyways. TIA
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 PM

OEM NGK plugs
Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
OEM NGK plugs
+1. Definitely stick with NGK.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
+1. Definitely stick with NGK.
NGK double platinum!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM

denso iridium http://densoiridium.com/
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm running NGK Iridiums in mine. NGK are the plug installed at the factory.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Either OEM or equivalent to OEM should work just fine. If OEM push you for 100k miles then getting OEM again should be sufficient to push more 100k miles. I believe it also depends on octane level you burn everyday. I never burnt less than 93 octane and at 115k miles my plugs are doing just fine. However I will be replacing them as soon as weather warm-up little bit.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Not to thread jack - but I have heard good things about Denso, how do they stack up against NGK ? I am also in the same boat as eK9aT10pSi....
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Yeah, ive been a fan of ngk's. on my boosted ek9, i ran the ngk 2 step colder plugs at .3 gap. ive ALWAYS ran 93 octane

heres some more info on the ngks for our car:
http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1431981

PT vs IR
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1215726

Last edited by eK9aT10pSi; 01-16-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM

NGK all the way B)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM

It doesn't matter- just put any iridium aftermarket plug and it will perform just fine. All you read on this site about different brands is nothing but bunch of hype or marketing efforts.
Change plugs more often than manual suggests, every 90K will do- most of us will change them just probably once anyway (maybe twice if okay with lost compression) before engine needs an overhaul.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Good time to change them!! I also did mine with my spacers i use ngk plugs very happy with the way they feel.they are should last 100k but my max only has 60k and the plugs i pull out where really burnt.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
It doesn't matter- just put any iridium aftermarket plug and it will perform just fine. All you read on this site about different brands is nothing but bunch of hype or marketing efforts.

Marketing efforts? I don't work for NGK but I have been in the automotive business for the last 9.5yrs first as a tech and as a service manager. Just because the box says "Iridium" doesn't mean it is the best plug for the car. NGK is the OE plug for Nissan/Infiniti and is the only plug I will use and recommend to my customers with those vehicles. Denso is also acceptable imo.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Truff02
Marketing efforts? I don't work for NGK but I have been in the automotive business for the last 9.5yrs first as a tech and as a service manager. Just because the box says "Iridium" doesn't mean it is the best plug for the car. NGK is the OE plug for Nissan/Infiniti and is the only plug I will use and recommend to my customers with those vehicles. Denso is also acceptable imo.
Agreed, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Get "PLFR5A-11" just incase if you're not sure what to buy. These are the OEM double platinum plugs.

You can choose to get 1 step colder plugs "PLFR4A-11" but then you may ask your self to change them often than OEM plugs but the trade off will be no engine detonation problem. Running those 1 step colder plugs for longer period may faul plugs and cause misfires. Those 1 step colder plugs tends to cool off faster between combustion cycles than regular or 1 step hotter "PLFR6A-11" plugs.

Edit: If spark plug change procedure or work wasn't that screwed-up in our cars by nissan then I would have gone with copper plugs. because copper plugs are the best than any of those platinum or iridium plugs. Of course copper plugs require to change often, may be once a year but they provides best conductivity and performance. Platinum and iridium plugs are made for very long operational life.

Last edited by KevMaster; 01-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
Not to thread jack - but I have heard good things about Denso, how do they stack up against NGK ? I am also in the same boat as eK9aT10pSi....
I believe denso iridium spark plugs has worlds smallest tipped centre electrode than any other iridium plugs. That means it requires smallest jump voltage than any other iridium plugs. Densos smaller tipped centre electrode tends to wear slower than NGKs means very long operational life. You will not find any other differences between denso and NGKs unless you perform dyno testing.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM

kevmaster,

jsut to verify, its these right?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
kevmaster,

What year is your Maxima?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
kevmaster,

Yeah that will fit in your 04 maxima. They are OEMs platinum plugs.

I am kind of staying away from iriduims because of very tiny tips could get burried with build-up in there in long term. However they offer extended life though.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 AM

When I checked the link, the parts finder that Amazon uses states that that part number will NOT fit the 04 Maxima. Where are you getting the info that they will fit?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM

When I checked the link, the parts finder that Amazon uses states that that part number will NOT fit the 04 Maxima. Where are you getting the info that they will fit?
Check THIS link from NGK that even says NGK (6240) PLFR5A-11 is the OEM spark plug for 2004 maxima. The same part for some reason amazon says wont fit in 2004 maxima. Amazon part finder sometime drive you nuts.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Huh. Strange. At least we got it cleared up.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM

sweet jesus.. just call your local parts store and ask for platinum or iridium plugs for your application, denso, ngk (do not bother with hotter or colder plug, just buy standard grade if so desperate for ngk), bosch, it does not matter, they are all great plug and will fire up your engine just fine. why so much doubt, why amazon? why jerking this topic for so long? buy the plugs and get it over with.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM

you can recommend your customers whatever you want, it's your personal choice, fact remains a fact, any high quality plug will work on this car just fine.
ps if the box says ngk it does not mean it is best plug for the car either- nissan happened to get lowest bid on the brand buying them in bulk and that is how stuff works, sales drive the market. NGK is a wonderful plug, and so is whatever is next to it on the shelf for as long as it is within specs. As expereinced tech and service manager you should know by now that OE is not always best for the car, that refers to several vehicle components. Good example would be Moog suspension parts, that actually are better build than originals and exceed OE specs.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
sweet jesus.. just call your local parts store and ask for platinum or iridium plugs for your application, denso, ngk (do not bother with hotter or colder plug, just buy standard grade if so desperate for ngk), bosch, it does not matter, they are all great plug and will fire up your engine just fine. why so much doubt, why amazon? why jerking this topic for so long? buy the plugs and get it over with.
Changing spark plugs in 2004 and above maxima's is big fark-up work. It cost time and money no matter who does it. Of course any compatible spark plugs will work just fine but then again no one likes to deal with the same work again if one or all spark plugs crap out in short time. And not all car owners are mechanically inclined intel, of course they will ask many questions. I do not see anything wrong with them asking many questions so I have to tell them "buy the plugs and get it over with."

Last edited by KevMaster; 01-19-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06' here with 140K miles still on original spark plugs. But I did just have to replace my tranny
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by geekedout
06' here with 140K miles still on original spark plugs. But I did just have to replace my tranny
I would check em if I were you. Pull the front bank out and check their gaps.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM

@acercomp71, for one, i just wanted to verify. 2nd, no tax, free prime shipping, and i dont have to go during my lunch break makes it a deal for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Hey guys I am new here from Ny and love these forums so hello all.
Sorry I cannot start a new thread so I will post some Pics from my spark plug abortion I am working on now. This is really a PITA 2008 MAX Se and doing Iridium NGK plugs but have a few questions looks like oil under the intake maifold. I will post some pics now just have to figure out how.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Guys here is the Intake off What is that OIL? Also plugs after 49K. Let me know what you guys think Thanks.http://http://]
Plugs http://]
Thanks Again BTW Reason I was doing this is car was idling rough. All images are clickable links.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

There will be invariably an exchange of fluids (oil/petro) on either side of the piston rings. You will have oil get by the piston rings and into the combustion chamber, and you will also have gasoline get by the piston rings and enter into the engine block. Hence, why cars are now equipped with PCV valves since gasoline is high in detergents which is an obvious big no-no for oil since it will degrade its lubricating properties.

The questions I have for you is: (1) Do you have oil consumption issues (2) and, or, do you see the reminants of burnt oil in your exhaust.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by rocketship
Guys here is the Intake off What is that OIL? Also plugs after 49K. Let me know what you guys think Thanks. Thanks Again BTW Reason I was doing this is car was idling rough. All images are clickable links.

Man....your old plus are looking dirty and like burnt. When I replaced mine about week ago at 120k miles then they were not that bad at all. Yeah it's ***** to remove those 2 back-end bolts that holds manifold. rest of the thing is pretty easy except for time consuming.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Changing spark plugs in 2004 and above maxima's is big fark-up work. It cost time and money no matter who does it. Of course any compatible spark plugs will work just fine but then again no one likes to deal with the same work again if one or all spark plugs crap out in short time. And not all car owners are mechanically inclined intel, of course they will ask many questions. I do not see anything wrong with them asking many questions so I have to tell them "buy the plugs and get it over with."
Make that 02 and up!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM

There will be invariably an exchange of fluids (oil/petro) on either side of the piston rings. You will have oil get by the piston rings and into the combustion chamber, and you will also have gasoline get by the piston rings and enter into the engine block. Hence, why cars are now equipped with PCV valves since gasoline is high in detergents which is an obvious big no-no for oil since it will degrade its lubricating properties.

The questions I have for you is: (1) Do you have oil consumption issues (2) and, or, do you see the reminants of burnt oil in your exhaust.
Funny thing is not a drop and I run Mobil1 Synthetic since 1000 mile break in.
And #2 Nope either and I just cleaned my Pipes I usually keep them Immaculate but this winter sucked so I did not wash the car for 2mos but just did and no oil either I put a light green microfiber rag inside the exhaust pipes to clean them w sinple green. Weird.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Man....your old plus are looking dirty and like burnt. When I replaced mine about week ago at 120k miles then they were not that bad at all. Yeah it's ***** to remove those 2 back-end bolts that holds manifold. rest of the thing is pretty easy except for time consuming.
Kev yep they look like sh** thats 49,000 miles never ran on less than Super Unleaded and Synthetic oil changes every 5k. Also clean and reoil K&N Filter every 5K.
MY SE is an 08 and has 3 bolts on the back that was the friggin nightmare My wrists do not fit on the passanger side they are torn up now. There is a bolt there also holding a wiring harness.
Also looks like I have more Vaccum hoses.
I took enough pics to do a write up if you guys like let me know.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM

http://
Here is a closer pic of plugs what is the white on grounding electrode? Not so great for 49K on 100,000 mile plugs. I have no idea why as I take good care of my cars.
Mabye that crap they put in the winter gas in NY
By the way these are the front 3 I have not taken the back 3 out yet doing that now.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Check the gap on them. I am interested in how they measure up to new plugs, or stock specs at least. Looks can be deceiving, especially with plugs, since they are in a combustion chamber. They are never gonna be pretty after a stint in there. If the gap is good, then I would say even at 49k you are fine with those plugs.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Check the gap on them. I am interested in how they measure up to new plugs, or stock specs at least. Looks can be deceiving, especially with plugs, since they are in a combustion chamber. They are never gonna be pretty after a stint in there. If the gap is good, then I would say even at 49k you are fine with those plugs.
Thanks I will check them the back plugs look a little worse.
I am cleaning the throttle body and intake now while they are off.
Back of throttle body had some muck even though I try to clean it from the front occasionally.
Man 8 hrs later I am doing Plugs still
I did my 2000 Se Last week took a half HR this sucks.
Anyways I will give you guys a heads up how it runs with the NGK Irridium Plugs.
Now I have to look up the Torque for the intake Manifold.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Also, I wonder if some of that oil might be from your K&N filter. You say, "Also clean and reoil K&N Filter every 5K," and you are now at 49k. Do the math, it's almost 10 times that you have lubed up your filter. Some of that oil is invarilby going to get down in there, especially if you are generous with the lub.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs