6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

got hit in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 PM

got hit in the rear

i got hit in the rear right corner and my tire is bent.
tire from top to bottom is straight, it is bent from the Right side of the tire pointing towards the middle of the axle. i was working during the afternoon where everything was melting and it was VERY slushy. car was washed the night before.
my question is what u think it could be? im going to lift the car tom and take the tire off and take a look, take some pictures aswell

Old 02-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Casanova
i got hit in the rear right corner and my tire is bent.
tire from top to bottom is straight, it is bent from the Right side of the tire pointing towards the middle of the axle. i was working during the afternoon where everything was melting and it was VERY slushy. car was washed the night before.
my question is what u think it could be?
Well, you're not just toe-d out, your castor is off as well. Quick review: toe is as if your toe is pointing straight ahead, or you turn your foot a bit left or right of center. Castor is like casting a fishing rod, it's supposed to be dead center (before cast) it can be back, like getting ready to cast (like your wheel) or forward like after casting, and finally the ever- popular camber. That's the one where a wheel will look like it is on an angle. The racer types like their wheels to be angled out in an effort to corner better.

Anyhoo, there's a myriad of parts it could be, but there are little link arms that are definitely gone by your picture. I would expect the knuckle to be fine, there's likely a control arm that's bent too. It's enough where if you have collision, I'd report it to get an estimate - it'll easily broach $500, and you'll need a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

You just activated the factory 3 wheel steering system.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 AM

im going to take the wheel off and take a look, and have some pictures for you guys
i would like to fix it myself if you guys can help me
it would save me alot of money in the end

Last edited by Casanova; 02-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im going to take the wheel off and take a look, and have some pictures for you guys
i would like to fix it myself if you guys can help me
it would save me alot of money in the end
You can definitely do it, but here's some advice: suspension parts are VERY difficult to see if they're bent. Have several straight edges in different sizes and put it alongside every piece you can. You're probably still nto going to catch everything, but the car will likely be able to align if you get all the parts that way. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM

from what i can see, i see a bent control arm, and that rod on the bottom

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thoughts: Picture number two. On the left, follow the spring down. There's a bracket that appears to be bent at the bottom of the spring. Picture #3: follow the brake line down from the top of the page. After it makes a backwords L there's what appears to be a housing/bracket that appears to be off of whatever it was that's protecting it. It's tough when someone else it taking the pictures, that, and I don't (yet?) have a Max to go out side and compare it with. Check and make sure that isn't connected to anything that is bent. Clearly the bottom most bar in that photo is bent.

It also looks like your strut got wacked by your wheel. Clean it off and check it.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by zeek
Thoughts: Picture number two. On the left, follow the spring down. There's a bracket that appears to be bent at the bottom of the spring. Picture #3: follow the brake line down from the top of the page. After it makes a backwords L there's what appears to be a housing/bracket that appears to be off of whatever it was that's protecting it. It's tough when someone else it taking the pictures, that, and I don't (yet?) have a Max to go out side and compare it with. Check and make sure that isn't connected to anything that is bent. Clearly the bottom most bar in that photo is bent.

It also looks like your strut got wacked by your wheel. Clean it off and check it.
damn thats alot, i didnt see those things, also what do you think about the control arm? a new control arm should straight that out, im also gonna get a new bottom bar
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Invariably with a hit like that, the control arm is bent, yes. It's always the thing that gets replaced first.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM

so i should order a upper control arm for the rear,
and a lower trailing arm then for the right rear then
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM

so i got a hold of a local wrecker, they have a same year maxima there with a light front end damage,

he said he can give me the entire rear suspenion, spindle, trailing arms both upper and lower control arms for 250!
so im going to do that, now im thinking i saved money on the parts, might as well pay someone to do the work
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i got a hold of a local wrecker, they have a same year maxima there with a light front end damage,

he said he can give me the entire rear suspenion, spindle, trailing arms both upper and lower control arms for 250!
so im going to do that, now im thinking i saved money on the parts, might as well pay someone to do the work
Wow, that is really lucky, congrats!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
KC's FINEST

What wheels are you running?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM

lol that's funny, not the thread, but the subject. You put, got hit in the rear by Casanova. Sorry if I sound childish, but it was a bit funny.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:36 PM

LOLLL

thanks alot for the help guys, the mechanic is going to come in tomorrow morning and fix it
im going depressed without driving her a week.
first thing imma do is clean her up, gonna do a interior detail
Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Be sure to check the tire and rim before re-using

Nice find on the rear suspension. For $250 it is worth replacing so you know everything will be in good shape after the car is repaired and you start driving again.

Judging from the picture you posted of the rim and tire, I would consider replacing both just to be safe. It looks as though the flange where the tire bead seals against the rim may have been badly damaged and might not seal in the air. also, the tire sidewall might have been damaged by the impact and there is a possibility it could fail when under pressure while you are driving and cause the tire to blow out. Maybe you could get another rim off of that Maxima you got the rear suspension from. It should not cost much. I am sure you can get a new tire fairly cheap. Otherwise, it sounds like you are on the way to getting your Max back on the road. Good luck with the reconstruction project, and happy driving!!!