6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

timing advance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 PM

timing advance

interesting enough there isn't a thread about timing advances on this forum. just think its something people would be interested in since its literally about 50 bucks and a great easy fast mod for more power.

i guess i can start this one off by asking who has got their timing advances and by how many degrees.

also tell us what you think about it. Worth the time, money, what kinda gains you think, noticeable?

any dealer, performance shop will do +2 on your stock car. if you wanna do more you need a module or flash.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-12-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Just wanted to note that if you exceed 2+ on the timing advance than it won't stick.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM

+2 is what's recommended. For any socal ppl I can do the advance timing for $25
Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by hero782
Can advance timing be done on 4th gens...sorry for the noob question. I might consider this.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 03-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM

I can only do 6th gens and up. It's done thru the odbII connections. I think you can advance the timing on 4th gens but I wouldn't know how
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM

You won't see any benefit.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 PM

that's right +2 is the highest you can go, the second you turn your car off it will go away. you will need a module if you want it to stick
Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hero782
just pm'd you. would like to check out your car too. haven't seen a decently modded max in person yet.

all i have is a cai, and a exhaust e-coutout. so far..
Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Will the timing advance shorten the life of the engine?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 PM

50 bucks? i paid 10.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidEliteMax
No. But you won't see any benefits either.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica
Can advance timing be done on 4th gens...sorry for the noob question. I might consider this.
You can do the time advance but it won't stick once you turn the ignition off. It gets erased on 4th gens!!!

Last edited by locknuts27; 03-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
No. But you won't see any benefits either.
why do you keep saying that? don't listen to him, obviously he doesn't now about the mechanics of a combustion engine. timing has a drastic effect on cars. manufacturers time our engines to burn the fuel per cylinder cycle more completely to get better emissions but less performance. whoever oolatec is he is not anyone to listen to. timing advance is a major factor included in a performance tune for a reason, because it WORKS... it isn't like slapping on forced induction, but in the list of mods together it is one more piece in the performance puzzle.

it especially works in conjunction with other mods. if you did a timing advance in a bone stock car, you probably won't notice anything other then a smoother acceleration during WOT and a little bit more responsiveness.

oolatec please get off my thread until you educate yourself in the simplistic function of our engines. misguiding people who look to us for information is not what this forum is about.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidEliteMax

to correctly respond to this question, the short answer is no, the modifications that you should worry about shortening the life of your engine are mods that introduce significant power increases like forced induction, NO2, CAI+exhaust+performance tune, basically it goes like this, the more power you squeeze our of your car the less the life expectancy. BUT, anything other then forced induction and NO2 will not shorten the life of your car by much, we are talking over 250,000 miles (given you are routine with your maintenance) and are you really considering keeping your car till it konks out? that could be over 15 years. i don't know about you but i don't plan on driving this same car in 5 years. If you slapped on every performance enhancing part made for this car, (except nitrous) your life expectancy wouldn't be so short that it would die on you before 250,000 miles. NO2 is the only thing that significantly shortens the life of your car.

in short do not worry about this. odds are something totally unrelated will happen to kill your car off before a performance related thing does.

there are exceptions, but there are also asteroids falling toward the earth at thousands of miles an hour
Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
to correctly respond to this question, the short answer is no, the modifications that you should worry about shortening the life of your engine are mods that introduce significant power increases like forced induction, NO2, CAI+exhaust+performance tune, basically it goes like this, the more power you squeeze our of your car the less the life expectancy. BUT, anything other then forced induction and NO2 will not shorten the life of your car by much, we are talking over 250,000 miles (given you are routine with your maintenance) and are you really considering keeping your car till it konks out? that could be over 15 years. i don't know about you but i don't plan on driving this same car in 5 years. If you slapped on every performance enhancing part made for this car, (except nitrous) your life expectancy wouldn't be so short that it would die on you before 250,000 miles. NO2 is the only thing that significantly shortens the life of your car.

in short do not worry about this. odds are something totally unrelated will happen to kill your car off before a performance related thing does.

there are exceptions, but there are also asteroids falling toward the earth at thousands of miles an hour
Unfortunately this mod isn't ideal for 4th gens as the timing is erased every time the ignition is turned off and turned back on! Of course if he decides to get an e-manage.....
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

why do you keep saying that? don't listen to him, obviously he doesn't now about the mechanics of a combustion engine. timing has a drastic effect on cars. manufacturers time our engines to burn the fuel per cylinder cycle more completely to get better emissions but less performance. whoever oolatec is he is not anyone to listen to. timing advance is a major factor included in a performance tune for a reason, because it WORKS... it isn't like slapping on forced induction, but in the list of mods together it is one more piece in the performance puzzle.

it especially works in conjunction with other mods. if you did a timing advance in a bone stock car, you probably won't notice anything other then a smoother acceleration during WOT and a little bit more responsiveness.

oolatec please get off my thread until you educate yourself in the simplistic function of our engines. misguiding people who look to us for information is not what this forum is about.
Show me before and after dynos after having this done.

I thought so.

I had the timing done to my car, and it didn't make one bit of difference. It's a gimmick. Just because you can "tweak" something, doesn't mean it has any benefits.

also tell us what you think about it. Worth the time, money, what kinda gains you think, noticeable?
You asked for input, and I gave it.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 PM

i am not going to dyno my car to prove you wrong. I can't believe i am doing this search for you

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system1.htm

just because you don't have the sensitivity in your body to measure G force differences in factors less than 1 doesn't mean it didn't do anything for your car. I already stated above that it isn't the best mod. if you used that mentality for all the mods available for our maximas you wouldn't have sh^t done because 1 singular mod isn't going to make a difference. a list of mods together is what does something. 1 person can't elect a president. but collectively people can, and that president aka. list of mods, WILL make a large difference. unless its obama then all your mods are just going to sit around saying they will do something but instead raise the national debt to unheard of figures with no result. obama mods won't do anything for you car.

so stop being do dam ignorant, do your research and stop making a fool of yourself. most of us knows its fact that these timing advances work to our benefit and complement the existing mods on our cars.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

I am not the one making a fool of myself. The dyno doesn't lie. If it's such a "great/easy" mod, then show us proof that it works. I had full bolt-ons on my '04. headers, full exhaust, NWP spacers/BOP/intake. Pretty much everything available at the time. As well as the timing advance. Didn't make one bit of difference.

You aren't going to dyno your car, because you know deep down inside it makes no difference.

You can post all the links you want, but people want real-world results before forking over any $. Even if it's $50. And last I saw, there were no before-after dynos done that proved the timing advance did anything.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Wanted to do this but oh well and don't know if people feel a major difference or what.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM

You aren't going to dyno your car, because you know deep down inside it makes no difference.
im not going to dyno my car because i don't have a set of rollers sitting in my garage. it would cost more then 50 bucks to put up a before and after map.

your stupid dude. you saying timing doesn't help is like saying anything more then 2 valves per cylinder is redundant. its complete bull****. and like i said before you are basing your "decision" on whether or not you can "feel" extra g forces that is like weighing a ounce on a bathroom scale. NO **** YOU CAN'T FEEL IT SHURLOCK!!!! it takes 16 ounces (aka. list of mods) to equal a pound (aka a noticeable difference). when the REAL maxima enthusiast and motor heads take our cars to the track where a 1/10 of a second is a BIG DEAL a timing advance equates exactly that. a BIG DEAL in the engine tuning mod.

FUC* off dude. this is the last post i send you, say whatever you want. your an ignorant bastard

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-13-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM

here's another source proving performance out of timing.

quote "Our dyno days show that there is a correlation between advancing the timing and an increase in low-end torque"

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S10_Timing.html

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-13-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Show me before and after dynos after having this done.
On a 5.5 gen but:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/4...ive-proof.html

Last edited by Reizy; 03-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Reizy
Thanks for that. And it just proves my point. There is no benefit. You're not going to notice that. I bet they did a few more runs without the +2 timing, they could get the same numbers.

Now if the car were pushing 12 lbs of boost...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 PM

here's another source proving performance out of timing.

quote "Our dyno days show that there is a correlation between advancing the timing and an increase in low-end torque"

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S10_Timing.html
Didn't know this was a Miata board. lol

2HP isn't going to make one bit of difference.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 AM

I have had this done and it I must agree, the mod alone will NOT show you any increase at all, HOWEVER, once you add other mods you should see some benefit. I am tempted to do a dyno before TA and after just to see if there is any improvement as this thread took a wrong turn like 10 posts into it
Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

thats right, we got a bunch or amateurs who don't know jack crap about cars walking about all butt hurt because the TA they did to their cars didn't feel like a turbo. go cry me a river and find another thread to b!tch on.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

thats right, we got a bunch or amateurs who don't know jack crap about cars walking about all butt hurt because the TA they did to their cars didn't feel like a turbo. go cry me a river and find another thread to b!tch on.
LOL @ calling me an amateur. You asked for thoughts, and I gave you mine. You disagree. The dyno results prove my point. Quit crying about it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM

that's right +2 is the highest you can go, the second you turn your car off it will go away. you will need a module if you want it to stick
So it resets when you turn the car off?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have access to a scanner at the shop i work at, how would i go about advancing timing?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by lowbudget
i have access to a scanner at the shop i work at, how would i go about advancing timing?
Depending on what year you have, you NEED a CONSULT II that nissan has, to my understanding a regular scanner cannot up your timing. NOW for 07-08 an CONSULT II WILL NOT WORK (i tried) Maybe a Consult III would work not sure. you WILL need the bully dog powerpup for the 6.5's

My friend did the advance for me on his bully dog, I did feel a slight difference in the beginning (i just had a SRI) I have no other bolt on mods yet, now maybe i got use to it but i dont really feel a differnence now again maybe i got use to it or my butt dyno is not working, LOL.
I will be adding the NWP spacers with BOP soon so maybe that will help
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
So it resets when you turn the car off?
4th Gens it resets, 5th gens and on will stick....

Last edited by locknuts27; 03-16-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by locknuts27
4th Gens it resets, 5th gens and on will stick....
Cool. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by HMAX08
Depending on what year you have, you NEED a CONSULT II that nissan has, to my understanding a regular scanner cannot up your timing. NOW for 07-08 an CONSULT II WILL NOT WORK (i tried) Maybe a Consult III would work not sure. you WILL need the bully dog powerpup for the 6.5's

My friend did the advance for me on his bully dog, I did feel a slight difference in the beginning (i just had a SRI) I have no other bolt on mods yet, now maybe i got use to it but i dont really feel a differnence now again maybe i got use to it or my butt dyno is not working, LOL.
I will be adding the NWP spacers with BOP soon so maybe that will help
Of course when you add the spacers and BOP, it'll help... but the timing advance has nothing to do with it. I had full bolt-ons on my '04, and the timing advance didn't make any difference.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 AM

Of course when you add the spacers and BOP, it'll help... but the timing advance has nothing to do with it. I had full bolt-ons on my '04, and the timing advance didn't make any difference.
It was done for free, so i said why the hell NOT. Waiting to get a nice damn day here to add those freaking spacers and bop, lol.

Slightly off topic, i have a nismo SRI and has my stock grill on, the other day i added the E&G classic mesh grill, which basically opens up the front and I swear i feel a little more oomph, maybe more air in getting in i dont know but the car has a little more pep in its step. Again those are feelings and we all know that those can be tempermental
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by HMAX08
It was done for free, so i said why the hell NOT. Waiting to get a nice damn day here to add those freaking spacers and bop, lol.

Slightly off topic, i have a nismo SRI and has my stock grill on, the other day i added the E&G classic mesh grill, which basically opens up the front and I swear i feel a little more oomph, maybe more air in getting in i dont know but the car has a little more pep in its step. Again those are feelings and we all know that those can be tempermental
I felt a difference too when I put my street scene grille on.