6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

need help

I just bought led bulbs for my corner lights. Some how trying to install them, something shorted out or blew. Now my corner lights don't work and also the dimmer the radio button lights, the shift indicated lights, the heated seat lights, and also my taillights and license plated light doesn't work. I just found this out and I'm in a middle of a trip to atlanta.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Start with the fuse boxes in the car and under the hood and see if something blew. Then check the bulbs themselves and see if you installed them correctly. Switch it around and plug them back in to see if that works. I know it's an obvious solution but it's worth a try.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM

you more than likely did it while the wires were hot. next time you ever work on an electrical component on your car disconnect your battery.

you blew a fuse. go replace it.

i knew a dude that worked on his car while the battery was still connected. he melted the entire wire and started a small fire burning other critical wires.

two thousand dollars later, and an entire rewire of the car front to back he learned his lesson the hard way.

also invest in a volt meter and get LEDS that are plug n play if your new at it. some LEDs are not friendly if you put them in wrong.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

@Twentyeggs: Good Advice!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 PM

yeah, also knew a dude that accidentally triggered his airbags!!! he bought the car the year after it came out ($$$), and totaled it with one wrong move. he cut the wrong wire and the dykes acted as a jumper wire completing the circuit. all side curtain and front airbags went off. it could have been avoided if he disconnected his battery. getting into the electrical is not child's play. you can easily destroy your car by messing with the wrong ones. and you can easily fry wires and start fires by not following the correct polarity, voltage, amperage, grounds, ect...

back when i was 17 and first learning how to tinker with cars i was putting in a venom performance chip in my 4th gen maxima (my very first car) the wires were not universally color coded, and i was lazy and took a gamble on the polarity. i thought eh its 50/50 and i have extra fuses. well the fuse didn't ark fast enough and my 20 min job took 3 days of reading electrical diagrams and taking my car apart, replacing a wire i melted. not a good idea to learn by doing when it comes to that stuff.

it wasn't until i took circuits in my engineering program before i found out how stupid it was to do that. i could have ruined a lot more than just a wire.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 05-28-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 AM

I hope I just blew a guess and nothing serious. They are plug and play. I have leds inside the car I installed with no problems. As soon as I get to my destination i'll start looking at all the fuses. I don't have a fuse box cover for the box in the engine bay. Can someone show me a pick of what fuses are in there.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:17 AM

I suggest a more descriptive topic.... "need help" is not very descriptive....
Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Well I looked at all the fuses and there all good. I can't figure out what's wrong. Can it be one of the bigger fuses or relay?)
Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrkhone
Well I looked at all the fuses and there all good. I can't figure out what's wrong. Can it be one of the bigger fuses or relay?)
it's not a fuse, it is a relay. Take it in to the dealer and tell them what happened. Any nissan dealer will know what to do. It is in the engine bay. I did the exact same thing only with my radio. I put ground for the head unit to the black wire on the harness. Wrong.... It needed to go to ground. Needless to say I blew that relay and two other relays at nissan until I fessed up and told them I installed a radio recently, the mechanic knew exactly what happened and helped me fix it. They didn't even charge me for it. I did end up buying everyone pizza at the dealer for it though.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
it's not a fuse, it is a relay. Take it in to the dealer and tell them what happened. Any nissan dealer will know what to do. It is in the engine bay. I did the exact same thing only with my radio. I put ground for the head unit to the black wire on the harness. Wrong.... It needed to go to ground. Needless to say I blew that relay and two other relays at nissan until I fessed up and told them I installed a radio recently, the mechanic knew exactly what happened and helped me fix it. They didn't even charge me for it. I did end up buying everyone pizza at the dealer for it though.

don't go to the dealer... you got lucky.

i went in for a relay and they wanted to charge me 180 bucks for it.

i ordered one online and did it myself for 20 bucks
Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

that sucked right! i did the same thing a while back. its not gonna b the fuse box under ur dash. its gonna b a fuse in ur engine bay . on the left side , there two fuse boxes there . the next to ur battery and another on ur far left (when standing in front of ur car) check there. i found out the hard way . took it in to the dealer , got slapped with a 80$ bill. i just dont get it, the base off the led lights are the same (got the info for the lights off this forum) my taillights work fine , back up lights (all of them being leds ) cornering lights (leds) just wouldnt work TWICE! IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHY PLEASE let me know . i just have my leds just sitting there now . and i would really like to get them working.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by lenin83
that sucked right! i did the same thing a while back. its not gonna b the fuse box under ur dash. its gonna b a fuse in ur engine bay . on the left side , there two fuse boxes there . the next to ur battery and another on ur far left (when standing in front of ur car) check there. i found out the hard way . took it in to the dealer , got slapped with a 80$ bill. i just dont get it, the base off the led lights are the same (got the info for the lights off this forum) my taillights work fine , back up lights (all of them being leds ) cornering lights (leds) just wouldnt work TWICE! IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHY PLEASE let me know . i just have my leds just sitting there now . and i would really like to get them working.
So there is another fuse box? Would it be under the plastic cover? I hope its just a blown relay or fuse. I really don't want to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ya there is . its not that big ,it like 3x8 box at most . like i said left hand side nearest to you . hope this helps . its kinda tucked in . but i havent been under the hood of my car , since i blew it the 2nd time. i really wanna go back and try again . but dont wanna risk any major damage.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM

Ok. I'll check it out and hope that fixes the problem. Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM

ok found the other fuse box and it was the taillight fuse that was blown. replaced that and everything was working fine now. tried to install the led and it didn't work. even flipped it around and didnt' work. anyone knows. i have the vled one.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM

You need a two way led bulb. The bulb you are using only allows electricity to flow one way. Max2damax knows all this stuff. Recommend you IM him.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Yeah I got a 3156/57.