6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

NEW STRUTS ARE ON

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM

NEW STRUTS ARE ON

Who ever said that installing new struts on the Max was easy was wrong, if you don't have power tools to help you, it becomes a nightmare. Both of my struts, insulators,boots, and links were bad. And to top it off Tirerack sent me 2 of the same part, but they redeem themselves by sending the right part over night.
The nuts on the sway bar links were a ***** to take off, I had to use some serious muscle behind them.The bottom seat rubber and top insulators needed to be replaced as well as the bearings. The top insulator was made of rubber and metal Nissan replaced it with a new version all rubber which to me is better the old version. If you need to replace your struts keep in mind that you may need all these parts also.

The car handles much better now, but now I have a new problem that I found while installing the struts, a hole on the floor panel.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
Who ever said that installing new struts on the Max was easy was wrong, if you don't have power tools to help you, it becomes a nightmare. Both of my struts, insulators,boots, and links were bad. And to top it off Tirerack sent me 2 of the same part, but they redeem themselves by sending the right part over night.
The nuts on the sway bar links were a ***** to take off, I had to use some serious muscle behind them.The bottom seat rubber and top insulators needed to be replaced as well as the bearings. The top insulator was made of rubber and metal Nissan replaced it with a new version all rubber which to me is better the old version. If you need to replace your struts keep in mind that you may need all these parts also.

The car handles much better now, but now I have a new problem that I found while installing the struts, a hole on the floor panel.
a hole in the floor panel? corrosion?

i did try to change my struts myself too but gave up when i could break open some of the nuts on the struts....took it to my mechanic and did it for $125 for the front..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Believe me I thought of taking to the repair shop and have them install. Yes there is lots of corrosion in the area of the hole. Needs to be replace.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
Who ever said that installing new struts on the Max was easy was wrong, if you don't have power tools to help you, it becomes a nightmare. .
It is easy man.... The issue is that you did not have the proper tools. They take 2 second per bolt to remove with a good impact.....

Just got this, SOOOOOOO fun to work with. You see all the rust flying around and it takes 2 second to remove any bolt on the max, rusted or not. :

http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand.../dp/B000WMR8H4

Yes, if you replace struts, get all the rubber from nissan, including mount and bearing. They are probably worn and need replacing. if you dont, you will end up doing it in 1-2 years..... (like I do now).

Every time you disassemble a bolt, apply some anti-seize on it. Next time it's a joke to unbolt....
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ubricant_a.htm
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Kry, no argument there definately easy with impact tools, I should get a set.