6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 maxima clutch pedal dropped to the floor...grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM

2004 maxima clutch pedal dropped to the floor...grrrrr

the house dragon and i did some stop and go driving today... (about 2 hours worth of garage sales..) well, we stopped and took about a 1 hour lunch.. when we got back into the car, i went to start it and the clutch hit the floor and wont return..... there is enough to start the car, but not enough to put the car into any gear..... i let the car sit for about another 30 minutes, but it still did the same thing... i had the car towed home and now its sittin in the driveway... my neighbor insists that its the slave cylinder... im clueless...grrrr... any ideas guys? i have a warranty w/ a $100 dollar deductibile, but if the parts are cheaper then that, i think im mechanically inclined enough to do the job myself.... any help or adivce would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jljered
the house dragon and i did some stop and go driving today... (about 2 hours worth of garage sales..) well, we stopped and took about a 1 hour lunch.. when we got back into the car, i went to start it and the clutch hit the floor and wont return..... there is enough to start the car, but not enough to put the car into any gear..... i let the car sit for about another 30 minutes, but it still did the same thing... i had the car towed home and now its sittin in the driveway... my neighbor insists that its the slave cylinder... im clueless...grrrr... any ideas guys? i have a warranty w/ a $100 dollar deductibile, but if the parts are cheaper then that, i think im mechanically inclined enough to do the job myself.... any help or adivce would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!
<br />
<br />
my brother had this on his ser it was that th at therewas a leak in, the system so th EU fixed it nd was like new.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 AM

Had this happen to my Max.
About $100 in parts will get you a new master cylinder (pedal side) and a new slave cylinder (bellhousing side).
If you want to troubleshoot before replacing parts, about all you can do is bleed the clutch to see if that helps. I can tell you that I figured out that my car's problem had something to do with the clutch damper, so I deleted it with a section of brake line straight from the master to the slave's union box (where the rubber hose attaches).
At first I tried replacing the master cylinder (still did it when it was hot) and then the slave clyinder (still did it). Finally I decided that the master and slave were working fine (not leaking at all) and deleted the damper. Since the damper delete I have never had the problem again with the pedal falling dead to the floor. The feel of the clutch pedal did not change in my opinion after the delete, either.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Patsky
About $100 in parts will get you a new master cylinder (pedal side) and a new slave cylinder (bellhousing side).
If you want to troubleshoot before replacing parts, about all you can do is bleed the clutch to see if that helps. I can tell you that I figured out that my car's problem had something to do with the clutch damper, so I deleted it with a section of brake line straight from the master to the slave's union box (where the rubber hose attaches).
At first I tried replacing the master cylinder (still did it when it was hot) and then the slave clyinder (still did it). Finally I decided that the master and slave were working fine (not leaking at all) and deleted the damper. Since the damper delete I have never had the problem again with the pedal falling dead to the floor. The feel of the clutch pedal did not change in my opinion after the delete, either.
Ya, im not seeing anything leaking at all.. (no oil under the car).. there is plenty of oil in the resivor too... i will try by passing the dampner and see if this helps... thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Similar experience

I'm having a similar experience, pedal drops, then recovers. No leaks, reservoir seems full. Followed a suggestion to replace the master cylinder, with no effect.
A friend that used to own a clutch shop borrow my car and he experienced it. He suggested 2 main things:

1) Get rid of the clutch damper, either by connecting a hose, or bending the hard line.
2) a piece of clutch material may have broken free and is preventing normal travel.

I'm replacing the clutch, but also, while searching for replacement cylinders, Exedy seems to make some inexpensive parts (about $20 for master, $10 for slave).

I couldn't find a hose to bypass the damper like the SS technafit hose does for 2001 and earlier, but I did find out that technafit will make a custom hose if you provide all details. The shop I'm going to will either bend the hard line or fabricate a non-ss hose for me.

Originally Posted by Patsky
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

was this under hot temperature?
I have had this happen not on my max but altiima, and it was because of the clutch fluid that needs to be replaced with a better one that does not react when temperatures gets too hot.