6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Radiator Leak

Help! I just had my 2 front struts replaced and now i was told by the shop owner that my radiator is leaking and i need to replace it soon, he quoted me for 425 i was wondering if that is a fair price?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM

It's a 300 dollar part and you should do the hoses. It's very easy to take that out so it's about right.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A Cry for HeLP!

My Max has 206k Miles on her.

Problem #1:
I just purchased a 2004 Maxima this past weekend. The owner left the country and hadn't turned the car on for a whole year and a half. I turned it on for the first time and the SES light came on. A friend of mine used a check computer device and was able to shut it off, but when I turn the car off and then back on, the SES lights comes back on. This all happened yesterday. Any advice?

Problem #2:
When I turned the car on yesterday morning, I heard a sound come from under the hood as if something popped. Then a cloud of white smoke started coming out of the pipes in the back of the car. Later on in the day, I noticed that the radiator coolant was leaking from the top left and right hand corners of the radiator. A friend of mine said to replace the radiator for about $200 bucks. And input?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Shop around because you could find the rad for less than $150.I got mine for $125 and got quoted $150 labour.That was too pricey for me so I went bought origanl coolant and went home,jack up the car,unhooked the hose drain the coolant out and changed the rad myself.No experience with nissan but it took me less than an hour to change it and bleed it.It's too easy to pay to do,you just need the average tools and ***** to work on your car
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Why not get the code and see why the SES light is on? That is what it's there for. Not to reset it. Needs to be fixed.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea, I'm buying a radiator from AutoZone for about $150 and I'll replace it myself this wknd. The majority of the cars that I've owned have been Hondas, but I see that Maximas aren't that different, especially when it comes to replacing the radiator. I got that!

I'll also get the code checked out as well to see why the SES light is on.

Now I have another issue that you guys probably have experienced in the past. When I start my car in the morning after having it sit all night, there's like a rattling sound that comes from under the hood and I was wondering what that sound was. Anybody ever hear that rattling sound when you first start your car in the morning?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 PM

That's the tensioners man.It's a common problem the the maxima's have and it's pretty costly.Try changing your belts and see if it goes away
Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I changed the radiator and the upper and lower hoses. Figured what the heck.. Then all of a sudden NYC gets hit with a blizzard and my f***ing heat goes out.. Checked all the fuses and their all working. Then I took out the clove compartment and all panels to get to the blower. Checked the current going to the blower and then put current directly to the blower and it turned on. Connected it back up and it wouldn't turn on... So I'm thinking the only other thing it can be is the controller.. I'm pulling my hair out already with this car and she's only a week old..
Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Shop around because you could find the rad for less than $150.I got mine for $125 and got quoted $150 labour.That was too pricey for me so I went bought origanl coolant and went home,jack up the car,unhooked the hose drain the coolant out and changed the rad myself.No experience with nissan but it took me less than an hour to change it and bleed it.It's too easy to pay to do,you just need the average tools and ***** to work on your car
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which belts should I change and how much should I pay for the job?
Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
That's the tensioners man.It's a common problem the the maxima's have and it's pretty costly.Try changing your belts and see if it goes away
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM

You can get a nice aluminum one for half that and do yourself because its very simple.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Being that this thread is about heating / cooling components of the car and I cannot post any new threads because of my membership "privileges", I'm going to post my question here. I've been having issues with my heating, it only gives hot air when I press the throttle. Whenever the car is idling, the air is cold and stays cold. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? What can be causing this? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2007 maxima coolant smell

After reading this thread, I am thinking that this car we purchased, a 2007 maxima, may have a radiator issue. Smells like ant-freeze is burning. The dealer? Idiot scammers who want my money, said the rad may be leaking and that it was normal for a car with 80k plus miles on it... They are replacing the radiator.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radiator leak is big issue.mostly people don't know about it.I have faced this problem last years is summer season.My Radiator working stop and driver contentiously driving a car. My car engine heat up and it started fire.left light of the car fully burn. I did not a have water that time to stop fire.

Radiator leaking is not a small issue.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JonJacobJr
Which belts should I change and how much should I pay for the job?
~$150 or so to replace the belts. An hour of labor plus the parts is what most dealers would charge.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by jhes
Radiator leak is big issue.mostly people don't know about it.I have faced this problem last years is summer season.My Radiator working stop and driver contentiously driving a car. My car engine heat up and it started fire.left light of the car fully burn. I did not a have water that time to stop fire.

Radiator leaking is not a small issue.
Most of the rad leaks are from corrosion (I'm not sure of the materials used on the rad. in these cars). I kept a 94 max for 14 yrs and changed antifreeze every two yrs and never had a leak. I now have an 03 max and a 08 max and again I change antifreeze every 2 yrs with no leaks.
Also when changing hoses don’t' get to ruff removing them from the neck collars. These are weak points on radiators noted from past experiences on GM cars when I use to perform maint. myself. I've never changed hoses myself on max cars.

Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM

i've had to replace radiators in my 96 max and my 03 infiniti. from what i heard its because they make the fins out of aluminum and then the top from plastic. plastic usually cracks or gives way at the seam. i actually haven't looked at my 06. might be a good idea to take a look. but as for a new radiator it shouldn't be that much. shop around.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and ull never replace it again!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SpayceMan
Being that this thread is about heating / cooling components of the car and I cannot post any new threads because of my membership "privileges", I'm going to post my question here. I've been having issues with my heating, it only gives hot air when I press the throttle. Whenever the car is idling, the air is cold and stays cold. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? What can be causing this? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Mine was doing the same. Figured out fluid in radiator was a little low. Topped fluid and now working well.