6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Turbo Charger for the max

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

Isn't there a guy with a turbo 6th gen. he maybe able to help with pointers more then any body. since he has already did this mod to his 6th gen
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM

To the poster for this thread.All I will say is if you have the money and passion to do it right by all means do.But if you don't invest in the right kit,have the right installer and change almost everything that works with it including rebuilding a stronger transmission,just remember that the same dudes who's telling you go for it won't help you fix it.

And the dude who thinks i'm and ***,is your car turbo'd?I'm no turbo expert but I have seen what a turbo can do to your car and how much it can cost to repair.All i'll say is do your research becuase there is no turning back once you start.

Anyways man,good luck!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
wow, all the outspoken naturally aspirated turbo expert maxima org'ers all in one thread!! what a treat..

its pretty obvious that because the word ebay is involved none of you can think outside assumptions. you don't know the quality of any of these parts, have you actually physically held and inspected one of this turbines or are you talking out your *** because of a few horror stories that rumored their way to your ears. seriously? you just assume because its on ebay and not branded by an originating company its total ****? which one of you who are knocking this have actually had any personal experience? i asked you to be objective. not spout off rumors to which origin you have no clue.

ill stick to asking questions to people i trust, like the performance shops that do this for a living. sorry for wasting your time.... not

i asked nicely to be objective. ignorance is thick in this one, if i can't get any real answers ill just delete this thread.

If any of you have PERSONAL experience with DNA motoring and know these parts are cheap and prone to failure then please speak up, if you don't know anything about this company keep your mouths shut, im not interested in your opinions.
Well go do this then ask any person on this sight with a turbo'd maxima what turbo they are using. Im using a Turbonetics, there are a handful of Holsets, a couple of Garretts and Precisions floating around. Nobody has an ebay turbo.

the reason why "good turbos" are so expensive are because the companies that design them put in 1000's of hours into its productions.

then come along the companies that copy them or reverse engineer these products and don't need to sell them at the cost it takes to cover all the expenses necessary for design. just because they are sold cheaper doesn't mean they use cheap quality material.

I do know for a fact that ebay has banned fraudulent performance part companies from selling their crap on their web site. this was back when online parts companies got big, probably where some of you have heard these stories. DNA motoring has been around for a long time and of the 26+ thousand feed back replies NON of them have consisted of parts going bad. DNA motoring is not some Chinese online company. they are based in Southern California and have been in business selling forced induction kits and other performance parts for over 30 years.

way too many haters on this web site... SMH
Wrong. Feedback on ebay is only for "I got the part in the condition it was shown" not quality.

Also good turbos dont cost alot just because of research but because of materials that are used. not all steel is created equal, Not all bearings are created equal. The best example of this is the fake holsets that are floating around. Holsets are already good turbos for cheap but the knock offs of them break and blow up so often and its just due to inferior materials used.

And here is why you need to read more, you are about to drop 800 on something that is going to break and then TRYING to argue about it when:
1st: that turbo is WAY to big for anything you want to do. That turbo size is 800-900whp supras not a FWD maxima. If that turbo DOES work you will have a rod out the side of your block with in no time.
2nd: compared to a more fitting setup and the parts you are getting WAY to expensive. Those parts turbos, piping, intercoolers, BOVs, Wastegates, can be had for less if you know what you are doing and what you are looking for.

Never ever belief everything an ebay seller is telling you.

Listen to what im telling you because buying this kit is not a good idea. Nor will it end will
Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Gram Lights addict

the reason why "good turbos" are so expensive are because the companies that design them put in 1000's of hours into its productions.

then come along the companies that copy them or reverse engineer these products and don't need to sell them at the cost it takes to cover all the expenses necessary for design. just because they are sold cheaper doesn't mean they use cheap quality material.

I do know for a fact that ebay has banned fraudulent performance part companies from selling their crap on their web site. this was back when online parts companies got big, probably where some of you have heard these stories. DNA motoring has been around for a long time and of the 26+ thousand feed back replies NON of them have consisted of parts going bad. DNA motoring is not some Chinese online company. they are based in Southern California and have been in business selling forced induction kits and other performance parts for over 30 years.

people spend $5000-$8000 on a proper turbo kit. just ask your fellow turbo 6th genner chernmax, he will tell you whats up. if you think you can cut that down to 1/6 of the price then you're sadly mistaken. Even if you do go with this $800 pipe kit, you would still have to reach into the pocket to make your feedpipe buy gauges and all the other bells and whistles.

a decent turbo itself will set you back at least $1000.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Gram Lights addict

ps I just noticed that turbo is a GT45, the fact that the ebay seller is even recommending this turbo for a maxima owner is a dead giveaway. do you have any idea how big a GT45 is? LOL

from the pic it looks like even the turbo is not as big as the auction claims.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

I do know for a fact that ebay has banned fraudulent performance part companies from selling their crap on their web site. this was back when online parts companies got big, probably where some of you have heard these stories.
So...that explains why electric leaf blow..I mean, turbochargers are still for sale on eBay, right?

DNA motoring has been around for a long time and of the 26+ thousand feed back replies NON of them have consisted of parts going bad. DNA motoring is not some Chinese online company. they are based in Southern California and have been in business selling forced induction kits and other performance parts for over 30 years.

Proof of DNA's history? I've never seen them outside of eBay.

All feedback means is that people got what they wanted. We also know it's not hard for these drop-shippers to up their positive feedback fraudulently.

DNA Motoring isn't a "Chinese online company." They're a drop-shipper who gets paid commission by a "Chinese online company" to sell their parts. I can promise you. That's what 95% of the dealers who sell aftermarket parts on eBay do.

And I can attest to how bad DNA motoring's parts are because two of my buddies ordered their Eibach Ground-Control style coil over sleeves for two different car makes/models. Guess what? They both got the exact same coil over sleeve. And both rode like ****.

Don't listen to us, though. It's your car. Do what you want. I don't have to suffer the consequences that might result.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-30-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Thanks for the response.Maybe you just don't get the point of me saying why he shouldn't turbo,at the end of the day the dude will do what he thinks is best.He asked for opinion and I gave it.I have a 6spd and I love it to death but you have to ask yourself a question,is it a project car or everyday car???Don't be ignorant,a turbo for that car will easily run you 8-12k and an additional 5k to have the transmission rebuild to support the the power that the turbo will put out.I'm not being negative,i'm just giving an ipinion.Quick question,is your car turbo'd up?END OF STORY!!!
Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
To the poster for this thread.All I will say is if you have the money and passion to do it right by all means do.But if you don't invest in the right kit,have the right installer and change almost everything that works with it including rebuilding a stronger transmission,just remember that the same dudes who's telling you go for it won't help you fix it.

And the dude who thinks i'm and ***,is your car turbo'd?I'm no turbo expert but I have seen what a turbo can do to your car and how much it can cost to repair.All i'll say is do your research becuase there is no turning back once you start.

Anyways man,good luck!!!
My car doesn't have to be turdo'd to give an answer of common sense. Plus your whole weak point was to not turbo the car its a family sedan. Which is not an answer to any of the questions the OP asked. SO really I don't know how you can try to justify your approach?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Well go do this then ask any person on this sight with a turbo'd maxima what turbo they are using. Im using a Turbonetics, there are a handful of Holsets, a couple of Garretts and Precisions floating around. Nobody has an ebay turbo.

Wrong. Feedback on ebay is only for "I got the part in the condition it was shown" not quality.

Also good turbos dont cost alot just because of research but because of materials that are used. not all steel is created equal, Not all bearings are created equal. The best example of this is the fake holsets that are floating around. Holsets are already good turbos for cheap but the knock offs of them break and blow up so often and its just due to inferior materials used.

And here is why you need to read more, you are about to drop 800 on something that is going to break and then TRYING to argue about it when:
1st: that turbo is WAY to big for anything you want to do. That turbo size is 800-900whp supras not a FWD maxima. If that turbo DOES work you will have a rod out the side of your block with in no time.
2nd: compared to a more fitting setup and the parts you are getting WAY to expensive. Those parts turbos, piping, intercoolers, BOVs, Wastegates, can be had for less if you know what you are doing and what you are looking for.

Never ever belief everything an ebay seller is telling you.

Listen to what im telling you because buying this kit is not a good idea. Nor will it end will
thanks for the reply. of everyone who posts you actually sound like you know what your talking about. Ill take into serious consideration. Ill run what you said by the shop who agreed to instal it.

im starting to think about waiting till February when i have 5-6 grand to play with instead of 2. and then doing it right.. i am just really impatient.

i have no problem people nay saying any idea, but you need to back it up like crusher123 just did.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
So...that explains why electric leaf blow..I mean, turbochargers are still for sale on eBay, right?

i said parts known to destroy cars.. its bad business for ebay and they corrected that **** and weeded out the known crap.

Proof of DNA's history? I've never seen them outside of eBay.

All feedback means is that people got what they wanted. We also know it's not hard for these drop-shippers to up their positive feedback fraudulently.

DNA Motoring isn't a "Chinese online company." They're a drop-shipper who gets paid commission by a "Chinese online company" to sell their parts. I can promise you. That's what 95% of the dealers who sell aftermarket parts on eBay do.

And I can attest to how bad DNA motoring's parts are because two of my buddies ordered their Eibach Ground-Control style coil over sleeves for two different car makes/models. Guess what? They both got the exact same coil over sleeve. And both rode like ****.

Don't listen to us, though. It's your car. Do what you want. I don't have to suffer the consequences that might result.
do you reseached DNA motoring and found all of that history??? this is 100% accurate research on DNA motoring company? or are you again talking out your *** based on assumptions? which is it? cause it sound like your full of ****???

i remember when snap on and mac tools started up their mobile business. Mechanics laughed at them saying they would never buy parts for a "tool truck" that they should start playing home improvement on a loud speaker.

NOW look at them! they are one the most popular suppliers of tools around. huge success. moral of the story? YOU=ignorant mechanic who have a pair of mandibular muscles attached to you anus and a second set of vocal chords capable of speech..

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-30-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:00 AM

look i got my answer, im going to have a shop custom it 100% I didn't wanna pay someone for some easy wrenching but its my cheapest rout.

so im not going to mess with ebay. For all of you who just flapped your mouth against ebay because its ebay, you did not influence my decision.

to those who explained in factual detail why they would suggest not going with DNA motoring thanks for the support, its really appreciated. Ill never ask a f/i question to 90% NA guys again. what a bad idea lol
QT1 5MT AE
Crusher123
mrjasonlyrics
essential1
2000 maxima king
Cant_Get_Ryte

thank all of you for your educated replies. this is was what i was looking for. much appreciated. to the rest, you waste your time. I am not opposed to being wrong or finding a bad part, but you must be systematical and factual about proving its flaws or your jsut wasting time.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM

do you reseached DNA motoring and found all of that history??? this is 100% accurate research on DNA motoring company? or are you again talking out your *** based on assumptions? which is it? cause it sound like your full of ****???

i remember when snap on and mac tools started up their mobile business. Mechanics laughed at them saying they would never buy parts for a "tool truck" that they should start playing home improvement on a loud speaker.

NOW look at them! they are one the most popular suppliers of tools around. huge success. moral of the story? YOU=ignorant mechanic who have a pair of mandibular muscles attached to you anus and a second set of vocal chords capable of speech..
Dude, did you just pick out the parts of my explanation that you wanted to see?

Pretty sure I said:

How in the HELL can you call a company reputable when it sells "universal" coil over sleeves? What would make their turbo kit ANY better?

Seriously. For someone who claims to know so damn much about cars, you act more ignorant than half of the Honda owners I know.

Also, before you go off bashing me for claiming that DNA Motoring is a drop shipper, I'm waiting to see the proof YOU have that they've been around selling turbo kits like you claim for the past 20-30 years. Prove me wrong, and I'll eat my words.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-30-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Dude, did you just pick out the parts of my explanation that you wanted to see?

Pretty sure I said:

How in the HELL can you call a company reputable when it sells "universal" coil over sleeves? What would make their turbo kit ANY better?

Seriously. For someone who claims to know so damn much about cars, you act more ignorant than half of the Honda owners I know.
im done here... this thread will get deleted unless someone else has somthing helpful to say.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 AM

im done here... this thread will get deleted unless someone else has somthing helpful to say.
That's what I thought. Run from the argument.

I have nothing more to say here.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Got Retrofit?

IBTD?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM

That's what I thought. Run from the argument.

I have nothing more to say here.

good "comeback" but 4th grade was 19 years ago, build a time machine and i might get offended.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM

good "comeback" but 4th grade was 19 years ago, build a time machine and i might get offended.

1) You asked about a cheap, junky eBay turbo kit

2) You didn't get the response you wanted, so you got butthurt and started flaming people, and making claims that DNA Motoring has been around for years and that they make top-notch products.

3) I asked you for definitive proof that DNA Motoring has been producing turbo kits, and wasn't just a dropshipper.

4) You got butthurt again and started insulting me, avoided my questions altogether, and tried to turn the argument on me by asking me the same question I asked you.

5) /argument

Also, quoted for reference:

Also, before you go off bashing me for claiming that DNA Motoring is a drop shipper, I'm waiting to see the proof YOU have that they've been around selling turbo kits like you claim for the past 20-30 years. Prove me wrong, and I'll eat my words.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-30-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DNAMotoring.com
DNA Motoring is your one-stop shop for all your aftermarket performance parts. We directly import products such as headers, exhausts, turbochargers, wastegates, blow off valves, and more. Shop with confidence. Our expert staff is here to assist you.

©2011 DNA Motoring Inc. All Rights Reserved.
^ Taken directly from DNA Motoring's website. They are a drop shipper.

http://dnamotoring.com/store/about-us

Go there if you don't believe me. Bottom right of the page.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM

^ Taken directly from DNA Motoring's website. They are a drop shipper.

http://dnamotoring.com/store/about-us

Go there if you don't believe me. Bottom right of the page.

irrelevant. i never said they create their own products, what i said is they do stand behind them, and offer support and warranties.

why are you still interested in arguing? i've decided not to go with their turbines, do you want the last word or something?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 PM

If you turbo you car, what's your horsepower goal?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
If you turbo you car, what's your horsepower goal?
i want 300 at the wheels. the reason i am not too concerned with turbo implosion is because i only plan to run like 6 psi, a very modest amount that doesn't stress anything.

Im not trying to buy a cheap turbo and then maxing its capabilities, but a cheap turbo should be able to handle 6 psi with no problems. right?

after i get my car to level 10 for the transmission build, and a LSD i will up the psi to 9-10

i've been debating on whether or not to save the 4-5 grand sell the max and buy a g35x and starting over with that, but i am really into sleepers. I love being underestimated, it adds to the entertainment.. g35's are overestimated

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Got Retrofit?

i want 300 at the wheels. the reason i am not too concerned with turbo implosion is because i only plan to run like 6 psi, a very modest amount that doesn't stress anything.

Im not trying to buy a cheap turbo and then maxing its capabilities, but a cheap turbo should be able to handle 6 psi with no problems. right?
Good point. A cheap turbo should and might be able to handle low boost but would you rather take the risk of blowing your motor and/or tranny for 6psi of boost?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Good point. A cheap turbo should and might be able to handle low boost but would you rather take the risk of blowing your motor and/or tranny for 6psi of boost?
no, unless i can get a turbo shop to vouche for DNA, that they sell ok stuff then i am going to go with another turbine.

i think people here though i was going to just slap on a cheap turbo and run 18psi, then of coarse i can see what it would be a foolish idea.

I was also thinking about installing a mesh grate after the turbo to catch any pieces in the case it chips or fails. irregardless of which brand i go with. I see they sell them and bumping the psi by one pound will overcome the added air resistance.

if i do end up destroying my car, its not going to be the end of the world. Ill be upset, but within a week ill be beaming from ear to ear driving a new car (a g35x) i worked construction for 8 years at 36/hr and have a small inheritance that i can only use for college (i can cash the rest after i graduate), so i have a respectable savings account that i can't use for personal stuff. but a car is a school related expense, so worse case scenario and i blow up my car, i use some of the money to buy a new car and if i come up short in my last 2 years of college ill take out a federal loan like everyone else who goes to college does.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM

If you only want 300whp, why not spray a 75 shot?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
If you only want 300whp, why not spray a 75 shot?
came within inches of doing exactly that, (i still have the kit and am trying to sell it for 240 if anyone is interested) but i want 300 hp available at all times. I am also worried about cops. I passed up someone a year back so i could make a right turn and a cop tried to give me a drag racing ticket. i fought it and won the case, but if i had a NOS set up in my car the judge would have laughed at me while signing the warrant to crush my car. I live in California.

i want to start with 300whp, after i get a bullet proof tranny i want to increase the psi and look for 350-370whp
Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM

came within inches of doing exactly that, (i still have the kit and am trying to sell it for 240 if anyone is interested) but i want 300 hp available at all times. I am also worried about cops. I passed up someone a year back so i could make a right turn and a cop tried to give me a drag racing ticket. i fought it and won the case, but if i had a NOS set up in my car the judge would have laughed at me while signing the warrant to crush my car. I live in California.

i want to start with 300whp, after i get a bullet proof tranny i want to increase the psi and look for 350-370whp
With an electronic boost controller, you will be able to have a low-high boost pressure setting.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Gram Lights addict

I live in California.

good luck living in CA with a custom turbo kit on your daily driver. good luck passing the visual part of smog, good luck dealing with state referee and good luck with the cops.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM

If you are worried about cops, why turbo your car? You would want to use the power if your car had it.. same with nitrous..

But think about it this way.. if the $800 kit worked like you're assuming.. wouldn't there be more maxima's boosted?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Totally agree with Crusher 103. Myself, I`m running Turbonetics. Like someone else said if the ebay turbo was so great for so little money wouldnt more people be running that one.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Pretty expensive endeavor, when I had my 06 I was gonna put an STS twin turbo on it, once I realized what it would actually cost I decided to forget about it

Its always impressive to see guys turbo/sc cars that came NA from the factory, but I don't have the money time or dedication to do that yet.

How does a Turbo effect reliability and longevity, good luck if you decide to do it
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the feedback I have decided to take all the Advice and go with a trusted turbo kit. I'll let you know how it goes once the process gets started
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
How does a Turbo effect reliability and longevity, good luck if you decide to do it
Reliability-wise, if you go with a quality turbo build, and use name-brand parts, put together properly, a turbocharger will require little downtime and just normal maintenance like any other part of the car.

Longevity-wise, a turbo is always hard on a car's components, especially drive train, no matter how much or little boost you run. You've got to remember, you're forcing a cylinder bored out of an iron block to hold pressurized gas. Driving out of boost isn't going to affect longevity of a motor, but if you're constantly boosting the hell out of an engine, it's going to drastically reduce the motor's lifespan. Especially if the motor was naturally aspirated from the factory. NA motors aren't designed to handle boost. Not saying they can't handle it. But it's harder on them than it is on cars that came off of the production line designed to handle stock turbocharging.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback I have decided to take all the Advice and go with a trusted turbo kit. I'll let you know how it goes once the process gets started
Nice choice, keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Reliability-wise, if you go with a quality turbo build, and use name-brand parts, put together properly, a turbocharger will require little downtime and just normal maintenance like any other part of the car.

Longevity-wise, a turbo is always hard on a car's components, especially drive train, no matter how much or little boost you run. You've got to remember, you're forcing a cylinder bored out of an iron block to hold pressurized gas. Driving out of boost isn't going to affect longevity of a motor, but if you're constantly boosting the hell out of an engine, it's going to drastically reduce the motor's lifespan. Especially if the motor was naturally aspirated from the factory. NA motors aren't designed to handle boost. Not saying they can't handle it. But it's harder on them than it is on cars that came off of the production line designed to handle stock turbocharging.
Good info, cleared some things up for me, thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Gram Lights addict

It would be nice if our blocks were made outta iron, we'd all spool 40lbs and lay down 800whp like the supra guys
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 1swtmax
Totally agree with Crusher 103. Myself, I`m running Turbonetics. Like someone else said if the ebay turbo was so great for so little money wouldnt more people be running that one.

What he said!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM

My idea is still the best one, buy Chern's and drop in a new tranny. You know that his turbo and all of the other mods are top shelf. Do it! Do it now!!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
It would be nice if our blocks were made outta iron, we'd all spool 40lbs and lay down 800whp like the supra guys
True enough.

But you get the point.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
My idea is still the best one, buy Chern's and drop in a new tranny. You know that his turbo and all of the other mods are top shelf. Do it! Do it now!!
if churn was selling his ride for 10 grand i'd take it now...

i gotta honeymoon to pay for in 7 months, so i can't go balla status on myself just yet.. lol
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM

if churn was selling his ride for 10 grand i'd take it now...

i gotta honeymoon to pay for in 7 months, so i can't go balla status on myself just yet.. lol
Married?? Don't do it. Don't you know any married people? They are never happy. You'd be happier with a Turbo'd Max.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Married?? Don't do it. Don't you know any married people? They are never happy. You'd be happier with a Turbo'd Max.
Marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries.

Quick Reply: Turbo Charger for the max